PDA

View Full Version : lack of decent music

emoticon
01-12-03, 11:41
I just realized that there is no decent mainstream music available in America. Radio stations constantly play boyband music like N-Sync and pop music like Madonna. If they're not playing Britney Spears for the millionth time, you will hear some Latino bullshit. Other radio stations play hiphop, a music which now consists only of lyrics about bling-bling and people getting shot numerous times. I can't stand the crap that's available today. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places, but that's what I hear when I turn on my radio or television. I used to buy Dream Dance, compilations of best house/trance, cds every now and then, but lately they've been including too many shitty songs-- so many, in fact, that the two cds with 40 songs would only have about 1 or 2 worth listening.

No offense to Americans, but I'm glad I could speak in a language other than English. I listened to foreign music ever since I was a kid. I really tried to enjoy America's mainstream, but there wasn't anything good available... AT ALL. I'm grateful that there is an alternative earcandy solution available to me. However, that solution is limited; the foreign music that I love oh-so-much isn't available all the time. The releases are usually delayed by months before they're available in the US, and even then, not all of them make it here.

I'd appreciate if someone could list a few of their favorite American groups/singers. I want to know what an average American listens to. I KNOW that there's got to be some decent stuff available that, for reason unknown, isn't being played all around.

Although old, the only American song I like is called "Paint it Black," by Rolling Stones. I found out about it while watching "Full Metal Jacket."

msdong
01-12-03, 12:07
Originally posted by emoticon
...Although old, the only American song I like is called "Paint it Black," by Rolling Stones. I found out about it while watching "Full Metal Jacket."

they are from england ?!:eek:

i hate radio stations that only play one type of music. but in germany its allmost the same. most songs are in english even if they are european productions. but at least you have more them the usual 20 song rotation and some serious news.

Dade Murphey
01-12-03, 13:17
Well...I have no idea where all the bands I like are from...but I'll just go on a rant about the bands I do like and you can sort it all later :D :p

Pink Floyd, Led Zepplin, Lynyrd Skynard, Doors, The Cure, Creedence Clearwater, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Green Day, Dropkick Murphys, Orb, Orbital, Underworld, KMFDM (flashy icon eh?), Sinatra/Rat Pack, Charlie Daniels, Willie Nelson, Pearl Jam, White Stripes, Pizzicato Five, Cranberries, U2, Outkast, Wu Tang, Westside Connection, AC/DC, Hendrix, Mozart, Beethoven, Enya, Enigma, White Zombie/Rob Zombie, Nine Inch Nails, Cusco, Reel Big Fish, Goldfinger, Rage Against the Machine, Black Sabbith/Ozzy, Jane's Addiction, Rolling Stones, David Bowie, Siouxie and the Banshees, Faith No More, Collective Soul, Fiona Apple, Cibbo Matto....etc. etc.

Well...there's a few...I could probably keep going...got rather broad tastes...some of them are English....or whatever...I guess I'm an average American...*shrug*...I dunno...maybe you'll find something you like :)

Mad_dude
01-12-03, 13:24
i dunno bout the other states but in NY we have Krock 92.3 FM and its all i listen to and it rocks...much like the name, and i know they have a branch in california and i think other states accross the US its only for if u like rock.

and u wanted to know some bands try to get some...

Metallica,Rage against the machine, red hot chilli peppers, Korn

these are just some main bands should be easy to find music for. once u find there music ull find some other bands with the same style. if u like this them ull like the others. iam not sure if ur a rock person but everone got a little rock in em, so give it a try.

Prefetian
01-12-03, 13:47
Try Something Swedish then :D

Lisa Miskovsky - Lady Stardust
Kent - FF/Dom Andra/Om Du var Här
September - La La La
La Cream - You
The Latin Kings - Mitt Kvarter/Omertà/Nånting Som Fattas
Advance Patrol - Estupidos/Min Musik

French
Mc Solaar - Carolin/Galactica
Saian Supa Crew - Que Dit-On/Angela

Spanish
Orichas - Habana/Mujer
Paradisio - Bailando

Polish
Budka Suflera - Jolka Jolka
Dj600V - Dla Ulicy

Persian/Farsi
Afshi - Atish Atish

German
Rammstein - Engel/Du Hast
Dj Tomekk - Ich Lebe Fur Hip Hop

Most of these aren't in English but they are still very good, even if you dont' understand what they're saying.
But those are just my tips :angel: