PDA

View Full Version : Buying new RAM, need help

ZoneVortex
01-12-03, 00:13
Hey I need some help buying RAM for my new system...

The motherboard says it has to be DDR RAM, fine.
It says it can use up to DDR400 so, cool. That's what I'm getting.

Then it says Up to four 184 pin Double Data Rate (DDR) SDRAM Duel Inline Memory...." I'm guessing that's what all DDR RAM is besides that specialized server stuff. Fine.

Then: "...with gold plated contacts". That's where I'm having trouble. No DDR RAM I see online says anything about gold plated contacts. Anyone know what's up with that? Does it really HAVE to have gold plated if it says so? Is all DDR RAM gold plated or something? Or is it just really rare?

Can someone help me?

ZoneVortex
01-12-03, 01:35
Pleeeeease I need to order it today. Anyone know?

Spoon
01-12-03, 01:46
It looks like it has gold contacts.... (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=589858&Sku=TC1-DDR-512-4&CatId=1043), but it's hard to tell......

I would just call the place your buying it from and see what they say......

AfterDark
01-12-03, 05:15
All RAM I've come across has gold plated contacts.

It'll work.

But one thing, depending on your processor's FSB, DDR400 might not give you the best preformance. When you have an AMD CPU with a 333 Mhz FSB, DDR333 will give you better preformance. When possible, always make sure your RAM is in "sync" with your CPU.

ZoneVortex
02-12-03, 06:00
pweeese anymore sure help? i gotta be sure before i spend 200 bucks

my CPU is 800FSB so would DDR400 be good?

and what about this lame gold platedness! i can't call them cause it's online sorta thing off a site that's not a manufacturer

ElfinLord
02-12-03, 06:08
What mobo do you have?

ZoneVortex
02-12-03, 06:10
I have ......a......Intel AGP 8x for uh p4 processors with 800FSB
my manual says it can use up to DDR400 but its gotta be gold plated yet no RAM i see says anything about gold plated...heeeeelp.

ElfinLord
02-12-03, 06:20
What is the model # for your mobo? I already knew it was Intel.

ZoneVortex
02-12-03, 06:21
bleh, um:

D865GBF/D865GLC

I believe...

ElfinLord
02-12-03, 06:29
Here (http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/bf/bf_internalmem.htm) is a list of RAM modules tested by Intel to work with your mobo. I wouldn't worry too much about whether or not the connections are gold plated if you use one of these sticks, however I do believe that they are all gold plated.;)

I hope this helps. Good luck.

ZoneVortex
02-12-03, 06:32
Originally posted by ElfinLord
Here (http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/bf/bf_internalmem.htm) is a list of RAM modules tested by Intel to work with your mobo. I wouldn't worry too much about whether or not the connections are gold plated if you use one of these sticks, however I do believe that they are all gold plated.;)

I hope this helps. Good luck.
thanks a lot sir

ElfinLord
02-12-03, 06:34
No problem.

I keep trying to break my own PC, just so I can learn enough about it to help others. :D:p

ZoneVortex
02-12-03, 06:48
Originally posted by ElfinLord
No problem.

I keep trying to break my own PC, just so I can learn enough about it to help others. :D:p

lol, well whatever you're doin is workin- you're a life saver...i've had this idle PC that i bought all the parts for and have basically wired cept i needed RAM, had it sittin there for about 2 months now....spent 700 bucks then couldn't be arsed to get RAM so i'm happy now ;)