PDA

View Full Version : Turrets + Stealth = Annoyance

Dissenter
30-11-03, 22:00
After just returning from what started as a fun op war, I can honestly say that Turrets need some reworking, as many other threads may have already said.

The fight was going well until the UG was turreted, and then a Stealthing Spy would come up and drop stun turrets and gatling turrets every few minutes. This gave time for the enemies to regroup in the inaccesible UG.

Of course, if the op was hacked, this would of been prevented, but this is kind of hard to do with Spys dropping turrets every minute or so.

This gave me a thought. If stealthers cannot use items or weapons while stealthed. Why can they drop turrets? After all they are a Stationary Weapon; and another thing, shouldn't turrets take at least a few seconds to set-up? After all it is a large mechanical peice of equipment, much comparable to Sentry Guns in games like TFC.

Opinions? Please Post.

- I know this has been covered before but it is a serious issue, as it is ruining the chances of op wars for attackers with equal or inferior numbers (not ninja hackers).

Diss.

Psycho Killa
30-11-03, 22:04
Turrets should have a construct time no doubt about it. Not too long where its another pain in the ass time sink but enough to where the person cant be dropping turrets in the middle of a fight. Turrets are defensive not offensive for crying out loud.

No turrets while stealth either thats retarded.

AndyUK
30-11-03, 22:06
Excellent point, well presented.

:P

AndyUK
30-11-03, 22:10
that really wasnt supposed to turn out spasticated like that.

my nose is actually in the middle of my face but nm

Judge
30-11-03, 22:16
Yup definitely no turrets while stealthed. Also I agree that it should have a construction time. Maybe 30 seconds, that sound ok?

shodanjr_gr
30-11-03, 22:50
Ya that ruined an otherwise perfect fight...I was wondering, aint droping turrets while being stealthed an exploit??Should i get screenies next time?

deac
01-12-03, 00:16
then again we had this uber fight vs dark at mal today... we attacked they had turrets in ug and came up droping em...

we ended up in the hackroom trying to hold it... lots of our ppl died.. looked bleak and wham final hack :D

they ran like "bitches" :angel:

ps. good fight guys

ezza
01-12-03, 00:26
yup it is lame, was fighting a CA clan along side TG clan a week or so ago, when the CA's all they send up were 2 PPUs buffed to the eye balls who proceed to quickly drop turrets before about 15 of us kill them.

unfurtunatly for them the TG clan hacked the op and took the turrets.

unfortunatly for me(BD) either it CA or TG the turrets attacked:lol:

like people have said there should be some sort of construct time, i mean ffs you shouldnt be able to run around and just plop turrets willy nilly:rolleyes:

Marzola
01-12-03, 00:33
Yea, I really hate it when peopel just drop a stun trap and a bunch of gats arround you. I was at an OP fight earlier, and after the first hack the other clan came in with a bunch of turrets. We were all arround the hack terminal and they droped a stun and a bunch of gats. We were going to lose the fight anyway, but the turrets are just lame. They should make it take 30 seconds to place the turret, and you have to stand completly still and can't do anything while the turret is being placed. That would keep PPU's from coming in with a turret and placing it while he heals and rebuffs himself if someone casts antibuff (not sure how the PPU would carry it, but it could be possible)

40$Poser
01-12-03, 00:42
isn't turrets in the underground not allowed?

Shadow Dancer
01-12-03, 00:45
Originally posted by 40$Poser
isn't turrets in the underground not allowed?

I thought it was allowed again since they fixed the bug where the UG wouldn't "turn over" the new owners.

J. Folsom
01-12-03, 00:45
Originally posted by 40$Poser
isn't turrets in the underground not allowed? It's allowed now as turret ownership changes properly in the underground too.

greploco
01-12-03, 01:30
right on

no turret dropping while stealthed

it's uber cool if you are the stealther of course, but it's not exactly consistent with the schema

Apoc
01-12-03, 01:43
We tried to start a similar discussion on the german board, ended up in flames like:

If ya cant deal with a few Spies and weak turrets, get some skill.

Good to see we aint the only ones who think the system needs a modification.

Suggestions on german board were:

1. Build up time, turrets start at 0% health and need some time to get full.

2. No stealth drop

3. Construction time (from 10 to 30 secs, maybe depending on class)

Think also some more, but to late now.

GambitFlame
01-12-03, 04:01
Yea this was brought up in Brainport and was a good point well made, bump and rate this thread to get KK to listen

Turrets How To Fix (http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?s=&threadid=81105)

Shadow Dancer
01-12-03, 05:30
Originally posted by Apoc

Suggestions on german board were:

1. Build up time, turrets start at 0% health and need some time to get full.

OoOoOOO, good idea.

Dissenter
01-12-03, 10:04
Yeah I like that suggestion.

Crest
01-12-03, 10:59
The turrets are built, so construction time is already done, but how about this

Turrets ould need boot - up time ... What does this mean... I own op, op fight ... I lay turret, first minute it is booting up so no effect...second minute its warming up so it has small effect .... stun not as long / strong ... galing slow and after this it is fully operational. Then the enemy has a chance to take out turrets before they fully operational.....

Also the effectiveness of a turret should be directly relational to the amount of turrets in the op/ powered by the op... 1 Turret = full strength 10 turrets = 60% strength...So its good to defend but not to 'Exploit' this......

Just my thoughts

Dissenter
01-12-03, 11:44
Build up time, turrets start at 0% health and need some time to get full

The turrets are built, so construction time is already done, but how about this

Well, the turrets may have been Constructed, but they aren't built. If you know what I mean.:D

You can't tell me that a Spy of weenie strength can carry a few Fully 'Built' Turrets that are like twice his size and just run round and place them on the floor.

Even if turrets are constructed from WPs, they should still have a 'Build' or 'Setup' time when being placed. Or the Idea mentioned above could also be a happy medium.

deac
01-12-03, 15:55
Originally posted by Dissenter

You can't tell me that a Spy of weenie strength can carry a few Fully 'Built' Turrets that are like twice his size and just run round and place them on the floor.

well tanks could carry a lot more if they would spend the the str points on transport, but they dont, soo in conlusion

spy>tank

Dissenter
01-12-03, 16:41
Another idea suggested to me by Omnituens.

Turrets requiring a construct skill of the TL of the item, to place.

This could mean constructers can be valuble in op fights.

Jesterthegreat
01-12-03, 16:47
Originally posted by shodanjr_gr
I was wondering, aint droping turrets while being stealthed an exploit??Should i get screenies next time?

i dunno if KK has said their stance on it

besides screenie what? all you will get a pic of is a turret with nothing by it unless you are close enough to see stealth - then they can still claim they just ran by hehe (and you cant identify the stealther anyway)