PDA

View Full Version : WTB Laptop

MkVenner
30-11-03, 17:31
Ok i wanna buy a laptop, mainly for gaming on while i'm at work, so i wont want like Microsoft office, just Word. The specs id like would be around Pentium 4 2.6 Ghz, 20-40GB HDD, 512 MB RAM, and a NVIDIA 5600 w/128 MB RAM and Windows XP, a CD-RW would b nice.

Ive had a look and the only real place ive seen this sorta specs is from Alienware, now they look excellent, but are overpriced, so i was wondering if n e one in the UK could recommend a place

Sanch0s
30-11-03, 17:43
http://www.timecomputers.com/packages.php?id=6

Not pentiums but still, and i dont think they come with word.

You can play pc games smoothly on laptops o_O

MkVenner
30-11-03, 17:47
I meant around a Pentium 4, i got a AMD athlon in this and its fine

Sanch0s
30-11-03, 23:22
Yeah alienware laptops are sexy especially in cyborg green if only i had like 3000 pound spare. So sexy and so powerfull!!!

LuCiD
30-11-03, 23:35
you can get a laptop with better specs than that (minus the video card) from dell for around 1300 USD and you could just get the card and stick it in yourself o.O

Rith
30-11-03, 23:38
Originally posted by LuCiD
you can get a laptop with better specs than that (minus the video card) from dell for around 1300 USD and you could just get the card and stick it in yourself o.O

in a laptop?

you a dell engineer ?

LuCiD
30-11-03, 23:39
no i just went to the website lol, maybe they fucked it up?

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/featured_inspn3?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

edit - about 1400 USD?

J. Folsom
30-11-03, 23:40
Originally posted by LuCiD
you can get a laptop with better specs than that (minus the video card) from dell for around 1300 USD and you could just get the card and stick it in yourself o.O Recommending Dell? You, evil, evil person.

Rith
30-11-03, 23:44
Originally posted by J. Folsom
Recommending Dell? You, evil, evil person.

Dell are fine

I personally like vaio laptops... simply because they look so damn sexy...

but I'd never play games on a laptop - thats just nuts... RSI here we come

LuCiD
30-11-03, 23:46
dells the first thing i thought off and the domain is short lol...i usually build my own

Sanch0s
30-11-03, 23:53
Yeah but if u stuck something non dell related into a dell ud void their comp or whatever and then when the pc fucks up theyll say its ur fault.

Rith
30-11-03, 23:57
Originally posted by Sanch0s
Yeah but if u stuck something non dell related into a dell ud void their comp or whatever and then when the pc fucks up theyll say its ur fault.

never happened to me...

I guess unless you rip out the entire contents of the Desktop and replace it with new kit... in which case you can hardly blame em :)

Dell are middle of the road, corporate PC makers. They're good for home use if you want to have a degree of peace of mind about your PC purchase...

If your flush and a dedicated nerd like gamer, then build your own

If your on a budget, don't buy Dell

Sanch0s
01-12-03, 00:27
Im looking to get a laptop in the near future myself too, its either that or build my own but i have this comp which is more than adequate atm. So id rather get a laptop for its portability but id like one that i could possibly play games on too, thats why im interested in this thread.

Ive heard from alot of dell owners that theyre poor in a few ways.

Rith
01-12-03, 00:36
Originally posted by Sanch0s
Im looking to get a laptop in the near future myself too, its either that or build my own but i have this comp which is more than adequate atm. So id rather get a laptop for its portability but id like one that i could possibly play games on too, thats why im interested in this thread.

Ive heard from alot of dell owners that theyre poor in a few ways.

I use a laptop everyday, I use it for work... it a god send and an annoying brick all rolled into one.

But whenever I'm away on business and I try playing games - i end up giving up... the TFT screens dont really cut it vs a top notch CRT and the keyboard are too cramped resulting in accelerated RSI.

That coupled with the performance issues (no matter what the componets, the architecture of a laptop has to compensate for heat and voltage therefore there tends to be a performance drop vs an equivalent desktop setup) means I would strongly recommend a good desktop for home use and a laptop as a business tool.

R

AfterDark
01-12-03, 07:42
Build your own laptop?

Is that possible? If it is, could you give me some information on doing this? I build computers for others and the #1 question they ask is "Can you build laptops?". I'd get tons more buisness if I could build laptops.

Archeus
01-12-03, 09:40
Most of the custom laptops are Clevos. You could check there first.

Failing that I have a TP, ATP and Hull of Laptop I'll trade you. :p

Sanch0s
01-12-03, 10:01
Do they have a website?
I thought clevo only made the bare minimum of a laptop then they sold it to the companies, i didnt think they had a front and sold to the public?

Varaem
01-12-03, 13:46
Ive been on a laptop for the last 2 years, and I think they work great. Alienware laptops especially, since they have 16" lcd monitors, good sound, big keyboards and they're colored green (or at least mine is). I get like 50-60 fps in neocron and like 200 in CS, so I don't see why everyone doesn't like them.

And about alienwares costing too much... I got like $600 in rebates from alienware, maybe you could find some too. If you hurry.. like really really hurry... and buy one today or something, you can get two $100 mail-in rebates, one from Warcraft3:frozen throne, and another from Enter the Matrix. Also, PCGamer has $85 instant rebates for alienware laptops as well, try check out their sept. and oct., 2003 issues. On the back cover should be an alienware advertisement.

Glorfindel
01-12-03, 15:21
Get a uber cool sony Tr one ;)
Soooo f***ing nice...

Sanch0s
01-12-03, 21:58
I could probally afford a Alienware in say 2 years :eek:
By then I will probally need the money for a car which will be more important as ill need that to pick up ma bitches!