PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about sniping.

superfresh
30-11-03, 13:51
For kicks and such I decided to make a sniper. I haven't pk'd really at all, other than OP wars and so forth, but sniping was so fun in Unreal Tournament that I figured why not do it in NC. I already have a spy so I figured I'd try it with a PE. I've never heard much talk about snipers on the forum or anywhere else, but tonight I took mine out and the results were suprisingly good. PvP thus far has all seemed like monks this and monks that, and who has the better CS or Lib or whatever. The only drawback to sniping I have so far is my enemies don't know who is killing them. Is there any shame in sniping? Sure is fun :)

p.s. I killed monks. Lots of them. :p

Shadow Dancer
30-11-03, 13:54
Snipers don't impress or scare me. And I think they're underpowered.

FuzzyDuck
30-11-03, 13:54
Sniping is what keeps me going in Neocron at the moment. People usually start complaining on trade saying they're dying for no reason, they could be right but more likely it's a sniper. I've looted lots of nice stuff with my hacker spy too :D.

superfresh
30-11-03, 13:59
Originally posted by FuzzyDuck
Sniping is what keeps me going in Neocron at the moment. People usually start complaining on trade saying they're dying for no reason, they could be right but more likely it's a sniper. I've looted lots of nice stuff with my hacker spy too :D.

Aye. These ppl were all of the same faction and just kept coming. I think they figured they just got an unlucky shot from a mob or something. Kinda felt guilty :angel:

VVerevvolf
30-11-03, 14:00
Just watch out for apus, they often sniper back :rolleyes:

Tidus_Origin
30-11-03, 17:04
I'm a sniper too. I'm usin my 4-slot commando :( ....until I get an uber SH, that is. (2 parts to go)

Sniping is fun. It does good dmg (though they've been nerfed once already?) - i did around 135 dmg on a ??/66 spy w/ PA 2, while testing it on him. So, if the average dmg I'm getting on my Commando is anything to go by, then the SH should be good for things like op defence.

((But, until then, I'll just have to settle w/ my 4 slot artefact FL - range and freq capped, handling @ 119%))

gostly
30-11-03, 17:19
sniper spy's eh?...might be worth a try to re-activate my spy account and lom him from drones to rifles...and maybe take his construction into hack...gunna take like 6 hours to do that shit...ah, well...fuck that idea...sounds like fun tho...

BlackPrince
30-11-03, 18:47
Damage needs to be tweaked comparatively. Also, we need to be able to get 4 shots out of a clip. Nothing is more frustrating than taking a target down to near death only to have him heal or hide while you're spending 5 minutes reloading.

Also they need to tweak the zoom controls (change them to normal scope controls).

Darkborg
30-11-03, 19:36
hehe i dont have a sniper spy. but i remember a time at Dev i think it was where we where a few people killing an enemy ppu and these 2 spys pull out their SH's and just blasts him close range multiple times.
The sound alone was awesome :D

the ppu also went down pretty quick :p

Lathuc
30-11-03, 19:37
i personaly hate the zoom on the sniper make it like the scope moduel

P.S. i have only tried the sniper a few times on a friends account

Sir ramic hobbs
30-11-03, 20:38
Do snipers do better damage from long range? and when did they nerf them? i remember when i first lommed my PE to rifles i loved sniper did 87 from close range to a tank with PA 2 but now it just doesnt seem to do that damage anymore i think ill look up some old patch notes

Legoias
30-11-03, 21:59
I just started to use a SH and I find the landscape clipping most annoying. The gun is capable of uber range but the game doesn't allow you to take advantage of it.

//Ring\\
01-12-03, 17:26
dude a stupidly obvious advantage to the sniper

get some hack skill, go to teh concrete towers around TH and start sniping the hoverbombers, its impossible to miss soemthing that big u dont even NEED the sniper

but hell before they even get anywhere near shooting range of u u should be able to bring em down, especially with some good xray or fire damage, they very vulnerable to those =/
trowing in a range enhancer wouldnt hurt either, or to make ur life easier use handling enhancing mods to increase reload speed a bit

BlackPrince
01-12-03, 17:30
Originally posted by //Ring\\
dude a stupidly obvious advantage to the sniper

get some hack skill, go to teh concrete towers around TH and start sniping the hoverbombers, its impossible to miss soemthing that big u dont even NEED the sniper

but hell before they even get anywhere near shooting range of u u should be able to bring em down, especially with some good xray or fire damage, they very vulnerable to those =/
trowing in a range enhancer wouldnt hurt either, or to make ur life easier use handling enhancing mods to increase reload speed a bit

Have you ever even seriously looked at sniping? I max handling on a SH and even then the reload time is enough for me to go take a piss and come back. Besides that, Hovers are a pain in the ass and not worth the time to kill or hack, kthxbye.

Sure, the PE is great, unless of course you consider that the big swirly thingie makes you a Big Fucking Target . Dunno bout you, but I don't like being a BFT, its bad for my health.

They'll never change the Clipping plane but there is so much they could do to improve sniping (same goes for droning) but they won't becuse 85% of the playerbase are Monkeys.

aelfkins
01-12-03, 17:46
Originally posted by BlackPrince
but they won't becuse 85% of the playerbase are Monkeys.

They where the same ones playing smurf tanks then libby PE's, and they move on the the next power class after they nerf the monks.

BlackPrince
01-12-03, 20:37
Yup. Its always been "Follow the Uber". You'd think they'd feel at least a little shame. Ah well, except for a 3 week excursion as a tank my main has been a Spy since US Retail.

Psyco Groupie
01-12-03, 20:44
sniping is fun, works semi well in pvp but the fact that you can use snipersfor close range pvp is dumb .. but i cant see how'd you'd stop that considering every other class is alowed to use their long range weapons anywhere ...

ah well

BlackPrince
01-12-03, 20:54
Yeah nothing beats getting that first shot off with a SH and then going for the kill with a RoG.

Nice in theory till whoever you're fighting gets his pet PPU to paraspam your ass to the ground and then run their anti-stealth spell.

Barak
01-12-03, 22:06
If your going to be a sniper I suggest a PE over a SH .. better Re-fire rate.

But eh whadda i know o_O

shodanjr_gr
01-12-03, 22:32
Its simple really, as long as the game engine is SO fubar and the clipping pane is so short, there REAL sniper class wont be valuable. Sniper means range and atm max_view_range<-500 meters or so?

//Ring\\
02-12-03, 17:14
u can shoot farther then u can see, i would know i can hit a moving player way out of sight range easily with 95% chances of a headshot (trust me.. ive had INSANE practice with aiming in this game :P)

my only tip is, fire a SH, draw a laser weapon, shoot it over and over then switch back to SH, take another shot.. repeat

of course if u got enugh aim u can try and use a CS instead of a laser.. but ull need lots of practice for that, trust me, i still miss 3 to 6 shots with a CS when shooting out of sight range 0.o

[TgR]KILLER
02-12-03, 18:02
i sniped a group of sxr once @ gab.. with my rifle PE with my pain easer.. was good fun.. they started to blaim the poor spy who was in zone tho :p

superfresh
02-12-03, 18:06
Can you put a silencer on a PE? Assuming you get spare slots...

zonk
02-12-03, 22:52
Dunno how u can fire out of sight while u got fog off and such and there is no dynamic fog atm....
The difference on sighting and locking is -10 meters or something.

Doing 180 dmg on apu's with headshot is pretty neat
long live the silencer :p

4 ASEN on mah ass today @ cycrow :)

Only tip i can give is to get in and out of RPOS while zoomed, gives u the local box in sight so u can see who is sneaking up to u.

garyu69
02-12-03, 23:00
Snipers Rock. Definetly need to be more powered.

I snipe a lot and it is so much fun seeing someone heal themselves behind a hill because they think a Mob is killing them.

Snipers are great. Just fire too slow too