PDA

View Full Version : What is Neocron skill?

superfresh
29-11-03, 14:45
Got this game in April and slowly worked though the learning process, part of which was to come to terms with the fact that NC has a very strong PvP element. I think a lot of peeps came to NC with a "Diablo" background, with the whole character development thing, ie myself, and others came from the Team Fortress action-fighter thing. NC is a bit of both and the PvP part is definitely not to be overlooked or underappreciated. I learned the hard way with players attacking me during hunting expeditions or whatever, but on a one on one basis and affording me a chance to fight back. When you get attacked in that way there is a lot of running around and squaring off and so on. It's pretty damn exciting.

Now it seems like its simply a game of numbers, and that no one goes out to PvP in a non-OP setting without PPU's, reinforcements, and such. You kill another player, they come back with two. They kill you, you come back with four, etc.. We attacked an OP tonight, and had like 18 people. A couple of enemies showed up and did their best, but I couldnt help but think that there was simply no point. And it's not just OP wars, it's HQ raids, PK attacks (Ive seen a 60+/60 PE bring reinforcements with him to kill noobs) and so on. It makes it hard to tell what a skillful player is all about.

So maybe this will be an interesting thread. I'm wondering what you all think Neocron skill is. (?)

Give me your opinions of what skill in this game means. Feel free to give examples...and tips :)

Furion
29-11-03, 14:51
i can tell you what is NOT skill. going on pk sprees with a ppu in ur ass, or just having a ppu in ur ass in general :p .

but its a good point, what does people mean when they say skill...

dr.fish
29-11-03, 14:53
skill is ur ability to kill anyone u encounter :)

ppu kills skill

kurai
29-11-03, 23:41
I see it as a matter of keeping your kill/death ratio high.

Being a Spy my kill rate is not as fast as many others, but I die very little indeed.

I also enjoy the challenge of fighting against big odds - there are few things more fun than having entire clans trying to hunt you down for hours on end, while you pop up like some bad nightmare, gank someone, then fade away again :D

Barak
30-11-03, 00:03
Originally posted by kurai
I see it as a matter of keeping your kill/death ratio high.

Being a Spy my kill rate is not as fast as many others, but I die very little indeed.

I also enjoy the challenge of fighting against big odds - there are few things more fun than having entire clans trying to hunt you down for hours on end, while you pop up like some bad nightmare, gank someone, then fade away again :D

just you wait kurai, just you wait ;)

( Until i can be arsed to play and get my gfx card fixed :P)

Rade
30-11-03, 00:18
I see neocron skill as:
-Having a head for number crunching and testing weird setups.
-Traditional hand-eye coordination FPS skill.
-Awareness of your surroundings and the ability to adapt fast to
changing situations, ie knowing when to withdraw, fight, heal,
rebuff, stealth or whatever. In Neocron (well, any mmorpg) you
dont always know when you or the enemies gets reinforcenemts
and there are a insane amount of variables to take into
consideration, therefor its not as easy to weigh a situation as it is
in traditional fps games.

Lareolan
30-11-03, 01:45
Originally posted by superfresh
Got this game in April and slowly worked though the learning process, part of which was to come to terms with the fact that NC has a very strong PvP element. I think a lot of peeps came to NC with a "Diablo" background, with the whole character development thing, ie myself, and others came from the Team Fortress action-fighter thing. NC is a bit of both and the PvP part is definitely not to be overlooked or underappreciated. I learned the hard way with players attacking me during hunting expeditions or whatever, but on a one on one basis and affording me a chance to fight back. When you get attacked in that way there is a lot of running around and squaring off and so on. It's pretty damn exciting.

Now it seems like its simply a game of numbers, and that no one goes out to PvP in a non-OP setting without PPU's, reinforcements, and such. You kill another player, they come back with two. They kill you, you come back with four, etc.. We attacked an OP tonight, and had like 18 people. A couple of enemies showed up and did their best, but I couldnt help but think that there was simply no point. And it's not just OP wars, it's HQ raids, PK attacks (Ive seen a 60+/60 PE bring reinforcements with him to kill noobs) and so on. It makes it hard to tell what a skillful player is all about.

So maybe this will be an interesting thread. I'm wondering what you all think Neocron skill is. (?)

Give me your opinions of what skill in this game means. Feel free to give examples...and tips :)

I hear you man. I come from team based CTF games also. TF/Gloom/WF/WFA etc... Those games actually have skill and skill means something. If you're very skilled, you can do a lot, but in the end it's a game of teams. For instance in WFA, if you play a cyborg, your task is to get in and kill defences and as many defenders as you can to allow teammates to pop in and snatch the flag. While as a sniper, your task is to keep any incoming enemies from crossing and entering into your base. Now wether you succeed or fail depends entirely on you and your skill as well as the skill of the enemy or basically the difference in skill. No matter how much people say skill this, skill that. There is no Neocron skill. Stealth is not skill, it's a tactic. No matter how good you are, the game would not allow a capped tank to kill 2 or more capped tanks. The only classes that can fight multiple enemies at once are PPUs (but they're not really fighting, more like soaking) and PEs because they have stealth and can take more than 1 shot when they are visible. (Some spies may be able to fight. but still not nearly as effectively). So this game is not at all about skill. It's all about numbers. This much resist, this much armor, this much skill and these implants. Topped off with a machine that can play this game at a decent framerate so you can actually target and that's the best you can get really.

And personally as I said many many many times. Neocron is an MMORPG for me. When I want to shoot people I log on to a Quake3 server and cap some enemies in there. I come to Neocron to RP and socialize since the only part of the game's PvP aspect that would interest me is horribly broken (OP wars). Where it's just a game of numbers. Especially with some clans that seem to need a PPU for every other class that shows up. And is normally just PPU + APU pairs and MAYBE a lone PE somewhere for hacking belts. No spies or tanks at all. It's quite pathetic. Also, no matter how good you are, a clan with 20 runners showing up to fight a clan with 10 runners will always win, no matter how much "skill", tactics or teamwork they have unless the clan with 20 people is REALLY REALLY bad.

Marx
30-11-03, 01:50
Originally posted by dr.fish
skill is ur ability to kill anyone u encounter :)

ppu kills skill

Quoted for emphasis.

superfresh
30-11-03, 13:40
Originally posted by Lareolan
...There is no Neocron skill. Stealth is not skill, it's a tactic. No matter how good you are, the game would not allow a capped tank to kill 2 or more capped tanks. The only classes that can fight multiple enemies at once are PPUs (but they're not really fighting, more like soaking) and PEs because they have stealth and can take more than 1 shot when they are visible. (Some spies may be able to fight. but still not nearly as effectively). So this game is not at all about skill. It's all about numbers. This much resist, this much armor, this much skill and these implants. Topped off with a machine that can play this game at a decent framerate so you can actually target and that's the best you can get really.

And personally as I said many many many times. Neocron is an MMORPG for me. When I want to shoot people I log on to a Quake3 server and cap some enemies in there. I come to Neocron to RP and socialize since the only part of the game's PvP aspect that would interest me is horribly broken (OP wars). Where it's just a game of numbers. Especially with some clans that seem to need a PPU for every other class that shows up. And is normally just PPU + APU pairs and MAYBE a lone PE somewhere for hacking belts. No spies or tanks at all. It's quite pathetic. Also, no matter how good you are, a clan with 20 runners showing up to fight a clan with 10 runners will always win, no matter how much "skill", tactics or teamwork they have unless the clan with 20 people is REALLY REALLY bad.

I have yet to discover whether this is all true or not, but it's definitely well thought out & said.

KramerTheWeird
30-11-03, 13:58
Skill in neocron can be summarized by my one of my favorite lines in Army of Darkness, as he blows away the evil ash:

"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun!"

Meaning you can be as skillful as hell but once you throw in enough firepower (ppu) it is completely pointless. You can deter, maybe even kill some guys, however the ppu will bring em right back up, no harm done.

Some situations you can find no ppus, such as neofrag duels, or small skirmishes at a base or pepper park, but most often you should be prepared for skill to be nullified and rendered useless, in other words, ppu spamage.

Because of ppu's, most people's skill has actually reduced since they became prominent in their roles. You see this mainly when people refuse to go anywhere without being in a group, usually consisting of a ppu, or are caught completely off guard if alone.

Shadow Dancer
30-11-03, 14:01
lol Kramer, I can almost taste the bitterness coming from your post. :p

REMUS
30-11-03, 14:05
neocron skill, hmmmmm, could be sumed up it 4 skills timeing, inteligence, hand to eye co-ordination, tactics and ppus remove them all in effect.

thats why fight night is so popular again imho people are tired of ppus removeing all "skill" from the game, and they come to play and watch real fights, rather than being DB'ed Para'd and HL'ed to death in seconds.

KramerTheWeird
30-11-03, 14:13
The main problem is, that a ppu does take skill in order to render another person's skill useless. Some may not think paraspam and such has much skill to it, well that's not all the ppu has to do. It's disabling the target while keeping your team mates alive. That DOES take skill.

but.. can skill overcome this? Only if it's met by the same identical methods, as in the only way to beat a ppu is with one. Basically the monks make every other class the pawns of war, the king being the ppu and the queen being the apu (debuff, most immediate way to kill ppu)

Can I at least be a knight or rook or something? :)

REMUS
30-11-03, 14:17
i wouldnt mind being a castle ;)

i really hope there is somthing good in this next patch, and i seriously cannot belive they are releaseing a plasma wave rare its the most pointless thing since the wyatt earp.

a tank boost a monk nerf would be the inclusion of gattleing rares, thats all thats needed!

RayBob
30-11-03, 17:24
Originally posted by REMUS
...and i seriously cannot belive they are releaseing a plasma wave rare its the most pointless thing since the wyatt earp...the inclusion of gattleing rares, thats all thats needed!
AMEN brother! Dump the plasma wave and give tanks a rare gat cannon and watch the monkies run.

//Ring\\
30-11-03, 18:32
AMEN brother! Dump the plasma wave and give tanks a rare gat cannon and watch the monkies run

they will just come back in the monkmobile with ppus running up to catch it 0.o

skill.. something i havent seen do much significance in PvP lately..

its the ability to stay alive while gankin anything that even crosses the zone ur in, its owning anyone no matter what theyre using

skill is people liek gore parad0x mega sid and many others (id trow myself in.. just cuz im like the only guy that has sniper like aim with a nailgun.. :rolleyes:)

once the ppus are gone we will see SKILL = Supreme Killing In Large Lumbers (bear with me)

BRING BACK TEH 8 SLOTTER RGCS!!!!!!!1 8|