PDA

View Full Version : Can I get a CLEAR answer on this, does Rank affect XP or not?

Shadow Dancer
29-11-03, 08:34
I heard higher rank means less XP. Is this true? Anyone know for SURE?

If it's true, is their a formula for it?

Thanks in advance. :)

\\Fényx//
29-11-03, 08:38
dude when you left the team i was getting ZERO XP off gravity . . . you were 6 ranks lower then me, grav was 5 higher . . . team XP is teh fucked . . .

Spectra260
29-11-03, 09:06
Originally posted by \\Fényx//
dude when you left the team i was getting ZERO XP off gravity . . . you were 6 ranks lower then me, grav was 5 higher . . . team XP is teh fucked . . .

yea it is acutually..

i remeber your suppose to be able to level off of people 10 ranks above or below you, but when i was leveling my newb monkeh on pluto i was 20+ ranks lower than the other people, and i was still getting XP off of them...

if course i wasnt complaining at the time:p

L0KI
29-11-03, 09:12
i dont *Think* you get less XP, the higher rank you are.

Less "reward" money, and less chance of decent drops i believe

greploco
29-11-03, 09:20
yes and no

yes - if you kill baddies with higher rank than you you get more XP

no - there is a cap or dropoff, used to be no cap and you could make a new char with rank 0/2 and find a spot where you could melee knife a 37/37 mob to death without being hit and you would gain about 20 levels. similarly, with the barter skill and a couple million credits you could cap (yes cap) INT in about an hour of carefull buying and selling --- but that was a long time ago.

Shujin
29-11-03, 10:16
yea theres a kinda cap thing, bcuz i had a apu rank 10/14 and killed a 120/120 decayed from behind a mountain and got very very little exp

Omnituens
29-11-03, 10:43
rank 118/--

i went to the scorpion underground (second layer) and the place was PACKED with giant scorpions spawning smaller ones, you couldn't see the floor for scorpions.

Naturally, out came the barrels of doom, and I actually leveled INT in about 20 minutes.

If I had a lower rank, I would have gained more EXP.

I think the system should be changed, your EXP should be based on the symbols you have ie *** would be the least exp, / would get you the most (so basically, rather than a number the exp is calculated from which range of ranking you are in)

Scikar
29-11-03, 15:09
AFIAK there is little effect. The only point where it makes a difference is when your rank is WAY above the rank of the mob, you know, when all they drop is a Milky Ren after you kill them, I guess to encourage people not to sit in OZ all day killing muties and go out for a challenge. Otherwise rank has no effect.

Darth Slayer
29-11-03, 15:14
Xp I believe for Teaming is based on your Combat rank and not your actual rank. U have to be within 10 levels of all the other runners to benefit from Team XP. Which is why a lot of lowlevel APU's and PPU's can benefit from being teamed with high level runners.
I think XP solo also works this way you basically have to have a combat rank at least 10 below your target to gain max benefit.

Oath
29-11-03, 15:20
120/120 mobs........uber xp, its better/more the closer to thier rank you are, so a 120/** hybrid will get more xp from said mob than a 60/** tank will.

As far as teams go, yeah dem is fuxxored.

But the nearer you are to a mobs rank the more xp you gain.

Shakari
29-11-03, 16:07
hmm at that time my tank had heavy 3 being cast on him and was 57/64 ** and i was changing faction,

killing aggie captains i got 350k str and lvl my strength to 96 :D

was quite suprise that i was still gettin exp for them lol
and a nice supply of choccies :D:D

Omnituens
29-11-03, 18:27
Originally posted by Darth Slayer
Xp I believe for Teaming is based on your Combat rank and not your actual rank. U have to be within 10 levels of all the other runners to benefit from Team XP. Which is why a lot of lowlevel APU's and PPU's can benefit from being teamed with high level runners.
I think XP solo also works this way you basically have to have a combat rank at least 10 below your target to gain max benefit.
i dont think its 10 ranks anymore, its more like 20 (it was changed a few patch ago)

KRIMINAL99
30-11-03, 00:33
im pretty sure rank does have an effect, in that there is a cap of xp you can get at each lvl (not rank) and that once a mobs rank turns green the xp starts to drop.

Im pretty damn sure of this, I had xp my droner got drop dramatically in tg caves when chaos minions became green to him..

Hagbart
01-12-03, 14:18
My theory is that XP reward goes up with your rank until you get to the point where your rank gets higher (or over a certain percentage) than the rank of the mob you are killing.

I checked the XP I got for killing the same 100/100 mobs in the swamp caves using a spitfire gatlin pistol and a judge, and the judge gave a lot more XP. There are two variables here of course, the higher TL weapon and the substantially increased rank I got when I swapped to the judge. I guess a better test would be to kill the same mob with the same weapon, but with different rank, like 1 time without any skill giving implants and no buffs and then 1 time with all the skill giving implants and level 3 boost, but I can't be arsed. :)

Shakey -=Tank=-
01-12-03, 14:32
I've noticed changes in XP gain when lowering and increasing rank but it's hard to say how big the difference is. Maybe someone could try testing this to find out if there is a pattern.

Lecko
01-12-03, 14:42
Rank does affect your XP gain. I've recently had some trouble with my rank not going back down.

Levelling in TH cores I would kill turrets and bots, the usual fare. This was with a Paw of Tiger which was aboxput rank 35/-- (melee not overly high you see). I would get some XP for killing them which was a fair amount considering my level. Then I imped, drugged and used a higher TL weapon bringing me to 51/--. The turrets and bots now gave me much less XP, cash and loot. After taking out my imps and weapons, I went back to Paw of Tiger, this time my rank was 23/--. I don't know why, maybe it was something else affecting it. This time the XP gain was huge compared to any of the other times.

Has anyone noticed that sometimes the XP goes down the more times you kill the samething? I'd have thought the XP gain would be the same if I kill 1 large bot then another.... wierd :confused:

LVirus
01-12-03, 15:20
Okay, gather around nubies when uncle LVirus tells you legend about : EXP - How you gain it faster and how its calculated

Everything pins down to one major and important issue : AMOUNT OF DAMAGE.

So more damage you do to more higher ranked monsters, more exp you gain. How do I know this? If your a tank, get MALEDICTION, go to plaza1 sewers and exp there. Suprised? Don't be. You do 1000+ damage and get exp even thou they are lower in rank.

Next fact is that TL of weapon affects your exp gain. Back in betas people used to grap low level shop guns and go "exping". Well they were right but again wrong. Because of damage plays important rule there, making more damage does mean killing monster faster thus reducing exp, or does it? Guns TL and thus your own RANK affects your output of monster. When you start closing rank of monster, you get more exp BUT it will start decreasing at some point but with cave monsters that are 70/70 you will see it but with 80/80 or bigger, you don't see it because hardly ever normal players (excluding kami chipped spys and hybrids) gets that kind of rank.

Now how do TANKs get so much exp? They have 2 major factors. With rank 50ish tank can use TL107/110/115 (Highest one atm) AoE guns there is. AoE guns makes TONS of damage to TONS of targets thus making INSANE damage output and exp gain. And with low rank and high TL, they boost up exp calculations so much, that doing a woopin 10-20mil exp per cave run ensures that tanks are EASIEST class to cap.

Now childrens, if any of you have more to ask, just raise your hand and I will answer to you.

Xizor
09-12-03, 21:53
Ya I have a question..Have you ever actually PLAYED a tank?
Sure you CAN be lucky and hit a lot of targets, you could also be unlucky and hit your fellow members of the team, including your self..?
Also the "insane" amount of damage by the malediction is dealt much easier by an APU and that is to ONE target meaning your wont have 10 bats at half hp shooting at you...

Try to lvl con then btw :/

Strych9
09-12-03, 21:59
Originally posted by Xizor
Ya I have a question..Have you ever actually PLAYED a tank?
Sure you CAN be lucky and hit a lot of targets, you could also be unlucky and hit your fellow members of the team, including your self..?
Also the "insane" amount of damage by the malediction is dealt much easier by an APU and that is to ONE target meaning your wont have 10 bats at half hp shooting at you...

Try to lvl con then btw :/ I dunno, I have to agree with LVirus. Have you ever had a tank soloing the chaos caves with a Doomie or a Malediction? Experience is truly insane. And you get the benefit of using the walls to you advantage.

Using the Malediction, I have been behind cover, shooting a wall, and hitting over 12 chaos critters at once. Can the APU do more damage to a single one of them? Sure. Can an APU damage 12 of them at once with no fear of misfiring? Not sure. Last time I was using the barrel spells, the surface you cast them on really effects the damage they do (meaning you couldnt cast them onto a vertical wall effectively). Has that changed?

Flyl
09-12-03, 22:09
The facts:

Combat rank DOES NOT affect experiance gain.
This means you can shoot rats with your Malediction all you want, you'll get XP, albeit very slowly because you're doing more damage in one shot than they have in total HP

Experiance gain is based on the TL of the weapon you're using.
Remeber in beta when you'd drug up to use a Street Model rifle and get 10 dex levels in 10 minutes from mutant troopers?

Experiance gain is also based on the amount of damage you're doing to a mob.
You don't get much XP from a mob if you're not doing much damage to them, this is why barreling El Farid is always insane experiance gain, because you do multiple shots per in game "tick" adding upto really good damage

More facts:

As a spy, tank, or private eye. You're "meant" to get XP over your main stats (for a private eye this is all but constitution) from runners ranked + and - 10 COMBAT ranks of your combat rank.
HOWEVER. As a psi monk, you "actually" get XP over your main stats from all runners + and - 20 combat ranks of your combat rank. (Don't know if this is by design or not)

[edit]
Ah shite, just noticed LV already beat me to it. Oh well.

Strych9
09-12-03, 22:14
Originally posted by Flyl
Combat rank DOES NOT affect experiance gain.
This means you can shoot rats with your Malediction all you want, you'll get XP, albeit very slowly because you're doing more damage in one shot than they have in total HP

Experiance gain is based on the TL of the weapon you're using.
Remeber in beta when you'd drug up to use a Street Model rifle and get 10 dex levels in 10 minutes from mutant troopers? Well this is tricky because you say its NOT your rank, but then you weapon TL directly effects your rank-

So in that sense, as rank goes up, so does exp (because your weapon TL goes up as well).

Experiance gain is also based on the amount of damage you're doing to a mob.
You don't get much XP from a mob if you're not doing much damage to them, this is why barreling El Farid is always insane experiance gain, because you do multiple shots per in game "tick" adding upto really good damage

In terms of damage done to a mob- I disagree sorta. If a mob has 2000 hit points, then you will get the same experience for the whole mob kill regardless of what size chunks you take out of it assuming the same TL weapon.

For example, you have a TPC, and a modded TPC. The modded TPC does more damage per shot. Since the guns are the same TL, you will get the same amount of exp for killing a Terror Mauler no matter which TPC you use. Its just that the modded TPC will kill it quicker.

Now if you just look at the individual shot, rather than the mob- yea, you get more exp the more damage you do per shot. Just not per mob.

Flyl
09-12-03, 22:17
In terms of damage done to a mob- I disagree sorta. If a mob has 2000 hit points, then you will get the same experience for the whole mob kill regardless of what size chunks you take out of it assuming the same TL weapon.

Not true. If you take out a warbot with a stiletto you'll get about 5k xp. With a pain easer, about 50k xp.

(tried/tested)

Strych9
09-12-03, 22:19
Not true. If you take out a warbot with a stiletto you'll get about 5k xp. With a pain easer, about 50k xp.

(tried/tested) Oops- I said same TL item. Thus in my example, a TPC and a modded TPC.

I am assuming your combat rank is the same with the two different weapons doing different damage.

In what you say above, your combat rank isnt the same, so of course the exp is different.

Scikar
09-12-03, 22:22
As a spy, tank, or private eye. You're "meant" to get XP over your main stats (for a private eye this is all but constitution) from runners ranked + and - 10 COMBAT ranks of your combat rank.
HOWEVER. As a psi monk, you "actually" get XP over your main stats from all runners + and - 20 combat ranks of your combat rank. (Don't know if this is by design or not)

Not true. If your combat rank is below 50, you gain XP from people within 10 ranks of your rank. If it is between 50 and 75, then you have to be within 15 ranks. And if it is above 75, you gain XP from people who are 20 ranks away from you.

Flyl
09-12-03, 22:27
@ Scikar: Ah.

Strych9
09-12-03, 22:42
The problem is that its hard to isolate what causes the better experience.

Weapon TL raises your combat rank and quite often higher TL weapons do more damage as well.

So when you go from a Stiletto to a Pain Easer, your damage output, combat rank, and weapon TL all go up at the same time.

Tests need to be done to isolate factors.

We need to compare the following:

1. Same combat rank, same item TL, different damage on the same mob (this is what I suggest with the TPC and modded TPC).

2. Diff combat rank, same item TL, same damage on the same mob. Doesnt your armor and stuff affect combat rank? If so, this can be tested as well. Keep the weapon the same and the damage the same, and just lower the combat rank while killing the same mob.

3. Same combat rank, different TL item, same damage. Not sure if this is even possible. If you had two melee weapons, one slightly higher TL than the other, and the lesser one had a damage mod, you can maybe get the combat rank the same, the damage the same, but have two diff TL items.

If we do those tests, we could isolate what causes the experience to increase.

Of course, there is still the red/green/yellow factor as well... so the results wouldnt tell us ALL we need to know- but it would still help.

LVirus
10-12-03, 09:34
Originally posted by Scikar
Not true. If your combat rank is below 50, you gain XP from people within 10 ranks of your rank. If it is between 50 and 75, then you have to be within 15 ranks. And if it is above 75, you gain XP from people who are 20 ranks away from you.

Then again, not quite right because being a rank 30 nubie you can leech off from rank 60 people easily. There is more than just brutal +-10 ranks rule. But if there is like rank 60 63 70 and 80 people in team and rank 30 joins in he will most likely get nothing but if his with rank 60 and 63 he will most likely gain insane amount of exp. My friend made a PE and in one day we almost capped him because we went to caves and he was rank 30 and we got 2 APU's with rank 60ish and I was rank 71 PPU.