PDA

View Full Version : Trial accounts

REMUS
28-11-03, 18:21
Do you think its a good incentive to offer free trial accounts? yes i do!

but do you think that new people or exsisting users who want another account should pay 29.90 USD to keep playing?

i dont think its very good buissness practice especially if some one has already brought the boxed set at full price (like me)

Zanathos
28-11-03, 18:26
Well, you may either download it or buy it.

I downloaded it.

But i guess its hard if you have 56k :)

Some MMOG's dont have an account activation cost, others do.

Elric
28-11-03, 18:27
I tend to agree. I wanted another account at one time because Pluto is basically unreliable for tradeskillers (or should that be tradeskillers are unreliable) so i quite fancied another accoutn to make a tradeskill character to boost my needs as well as help others out too. I looked into it and discovered I'd have to pay ANOTHER £29 for a game that I already own. I changed my mind. I can see the point of having to charge for it, fair [play that they have to make their money on it, but paying the same price as a retail boxed copy with a shorter free trial period didnt really float my boat.

REMUS
28-11-03, 19:02
exactly elric, i dont see why they dont just make it free trial and then just pay the sub.

come on ppl vote or kk wont take any notice, makue ur voice heard

Candaman
28-11-03, 19:34
Also the fact that it doesn't tell u that at the end of the Trial u will get stumped for this xtra money

Oath
28-11-03, 19:43
Originally posted by Candaman
Also the fact that it doesn't tell u that at the end of the Trial u will get stumped for this xtra money

Yup, that caught me out too, wich is why i had to cancel my second account :( that and financial considerations ;(

Candaman
28-11-03, 19:58
i didn't notice on my second money is always getting taken from my account but i got told on my third and realized i'd been stung now £90 for the three free weeks i had OMG i don't have £90 to waste

Nidhogg
28-11-03, 20:22
Originally posted by Candaman
Also the fact that it doesn't tell u that at the end of the Trial u will get stumped for this xtra money That is not a fair accusation. The website shop tells you about the $29.95 charge (link (http://www.neocron.com/index.php?name=NeoContent&op=modload&file=index&pageID=103)) and even if you downloaded the game directly without going through the shop you're told on the trial account sign up page (link (http://www.neocron.com/account/dca.php?cdk=3)). It's not fair to accuse Reakktor because you can't remember the terms of the contract for just 10 days. If you can't afford to play the game then please don't sign up for it.

/edit - It's not like it's even an expensive game, compared to it's competitors. o_O

N

msdong
28-11-03, 20:23
well there should be less money for second acount. but i agree u have to charge for the programm.
allmost all games out there charge after the trial so why dont NC should.
apart drom that its extra money to fund our favourite game :)

Oath
28-11-03, 20:38
Originally posted by Nidhogg
That is not a fair accusation. The website shop tells you about the $29.95 charge (link (http://www.neocron.com/index.php?name=NeoContent&op=modload&file=index&pageID=103)) and even if you downloaded the game directly without going through the shop you're told on the trial account sign up page (link (http://www.neocron.com/account/dca.php?cdk=3)). It's not fair to accuse Reakktor because you can't remember the terms of the contract for just 10 days. If you can't afford to play the game then please don't sign up for it.

/edit - It's not like it's even an expensive game, compared to it's competitors. o_O

N

Well thats somewhat true i suppose its not fair to say that we arent told, but it is fair to say that its not immediately obvious, mebbe more of a heads up is in order.

Elric
28-11-03, 20:53
Originally posted by REMUS
exactly elric, i dont see why they dont just make it free trial and then just pay the sub.

come on ppl vote or kk wont take any notice, makue ur voice heard

aah, dont get me wrong, I can understand and probably agree with the charge for the actual game as well as the subs charges. I just think that its a bitty too expensive when you can buy a retail copy for a fiver on several websites now.

Still stands that you get less of a "free" period of play for the same price as a retail copy though.

Fuck it, Im reactivating, see ya all in a coupla hours... hopefully...

Might as well at least give the latest patches a shot and see if its improved at all.

Kimiko
28-11-03, 20:59
I think that they're charging WAY too much for the download version - especially seeing as you dont get the CDs etc. Didnt someone find NC in the bargain bin for £5 or something?

It is completely ridiculous to charge ~$30 for it.

If anything, you could charge around $20 for a full version (cds and all) - shipped to your door. Thats more reasonable. If they want it downloaded, charge them another $5 for the bandwidth they consume. (Ie, Download AND cd version shipped is $25, whereas just the download is $5)

FirestarXL
28-11-03, 21:10
I have a stong feeling the 30$ charge was one of the conditions set by cdv when negotiations for the trial version were in progress. That price is equivalent to you going out and buying a retail copy at full recommended retail price - which for a publisher is the ideal situation, especially since they cut out the middleman profit-wise. The people who selling much cheaper are making their own price cuts, that doesn't go through cdv as the publisher so that's not their concern. Remember only the trial part is free, they still want you to pay full price for the game, probably for financial reporting reasons as much as any (subscription fees are probably recorded differently).

So no, the trial is not good value, I personally would not use it. But there is a reason for that charge however, and I doubt it's one that will be removed - except maybe with a new publisher.

My advice to new people is to try it using the trial, cancel, then get yourself a copy from one of the cheaper locations and enjoy the free time from that before you start paying. You will lose the character from the trial, but 7 days is not a lot especially and you will have the chance to learn from your initial mistakes/successes.

REMUS
28-11-03, 22:01
that cant be true or other download sites like file planet wouldnt be able to offer it for $4.99 becuase they would be bound by the same licence, i dont know why KK are doing this, its just stupid:

-Demon-
28-11-03, 22:15
Well i know for US thats quite expensive I guess...but 29USD converts to 17.40 pound UK...which is cheaper than I brought the game for in Jan.

Also I aint bad considering in the UK at least it's sold no where I can find anymore, as I was looking for a friend.

REMUS
28-11-03, 23:47
amazon still sell nc and as mentioned before file plent and other fttp sumscription companys like file planet. for alot less than 29 usd

FirestarXL
29-11-03, 00:03
that cant be true or other download sites like file planet wouldnt be able to offer it for $4.99 becuase they would be bound by the same licence, i dont know why KK are doing this, its just stupid:

What do you mean, the fileplanet subscription fee? All that does is pay for the fileplanet download system - once you have the file downloaded that's all you paid for. You THEN enter into the contract with cdv, same as if you had downloaded the client for free (http://dome-of-york.com/download/).

The only other thing I can think of is that there was a promotional offer, none running now though afaik.

As for the amazon thing, I already covered that point - it's their own discount, cdv have already recieved their royalties and don't care any more about that particular copy.

REMUS
29-11-03, 02:20
you didnt cover anything becuase it isnt the price that other people that are selling nc at that im even in the slightest bit bothered about, its KK selling nc at a sick price using dodgy tactics!

file planet and amazon cant offer totally free trials, KK can and they are abuseing this to put a unfair price tag on it, ok put it this way because you are missing the point.

you have to buy the game off your local store, fttp server or online store, before you can experiance it and although the game now comes with a 2 week trial you still have to pay the cover price of the game.

KK allow you to play the game for 7 days but then your have to buy the game to continue for an quite alot higher price for nothing except an account no cd no packageing, i dont even think amazon sells nc anymore but i know you can download nc without having to pay more than 4.99, ther was a post about it a few days ago with a link, im to tired to search for it now but by all means you can. when the trial ends you cant log in you have to email accounts to make sure they get the money.

so if you go the trial route

download-56k users auto screwed

7 day trial (not really long enough to experiance nc

your account expires and you cannont reactivate it unless you email support of which it mentions nothing when signing up for a free trial account "29 usd will automatically be dediucted from your account" (my ass)

and you have to pay more if you want to keep your exsisnting account than if u got it from your local shop or of a fttp retail store

and you really think this gives new people to this game a good impression!!!!!!!!!!

i dont think cdv put a min price on the trial o_O your guessing im basing this arguement on fact

BTW im real tired lol dont take this as an insulting post or anything

Odin
29-11-03, 02:59
Remus if your going to complain at least get the facts right.

A) It's a 10 day trial.
B) Fileplanet is only offering the trial on the cd's. It does not come with a CDKey.
C) The ones your buying off Amazon are not direct from Amazon. They are 3rd party sellers and the cheapest there was 27 pounds. Used was even 20 pounds.
D) Neocron has been discontinued as we are no longer a part of CDV for the most part. Half of what's out there is companies reselling used games as new (GAME I'm looking at you! :p ). Neocron is very hard to find right now (heck was hard to find when it first came out ;) )
E) The $29.95 is mentioned right in the signup. Once that's paid there is another 18 days before the monthly subscription kicks in for a grand total of 30 days.
F) That fee right now is what is keeping the monthly prices down. We are the cheapest MMORPG out there.

When the new publisher deal is signed things are going to change dramatically and the download issue will probably be part of it.

REMUS
29-11-03, 04:32
1)10 day trial whoop dee doo 3 days of more stuff to do before paying.

2)i was using file planet as an exsample of an fttp server and that is its current status, as you said nc is unrepresented at this time

3)i thought as much :rolleyes: neocron was discontied at £14.99 AND you really expect me to take this fact seriously when one of your 27 pound traders was trying to sell a cop of neocron for £38.99 those prices are a joke.

4) true

5)it doesnt state that anywhere, it is also a pain in the ass.

6) $29.95 keeps the price of subsciptions low? you keep them low becuase the amount of input we get into this game is pretty minimal atm we are paying for bandwidth and 3-4 programmers, and i dont see how it can keep the price down when there seems to be minimal growth of player populations on any of the servers, infact there seems less than at the start of the year.

7) i hope they are paying you alot, cuz u deserve it.

i have a right to complain becuase i can and i will, there are several systems related to accounts that are quite frankly bugged.

but im really glad you commented odin it was worth it just to get some sort of official representative to speak.

while your here explain this

1) why is it $29.95 and i will stfu if im satisfied with the reasons.

Shadow Dancer
29-11-03, 04:40
Cheapest mmorpg? What about the free beta ones? :p

REMUS
29-11-03, 04:53
[ edited for violation of the forum rules - flaming ]

REMUS
30-11-03, 04:03
so thats it you correct me on one point, that its a 10 day trial and not a 7 day trial you attempt to look witty, and you let the thread slip away WITHOUT ANWEARING ANYTHING!!!!!

bahhhh i give up with you guys i wont bother again im only still playing this game becuase of the great comminity on pluto that makes fight night and my clan worth logging on for, cuz it certainly isnt input from you guys at KK cuz you have never helped me excapt for pulling my char out of server glitchs that dont allow me to log on, publisher my arse your doing the bare minimum. ive had enough whineing for one day its useless anyway no point in wasteing more on my time on this shit......

Nidhogg
30-11-03, 04:35
1)10 day trial whoop dee doo 3 days of more stuff to do before paying.That's 72 hours - there's a whole load of people to kill and levels to ding in that time.

2)i was using file planet as an exsample of an fttp server and that is its current status, as you said nc is unrepresented at this timeThere are only two ways to buy Neocron. The first is from a retail outlet (which will either be a discounted original, or a cheaper re-sell). The second is the download, which is $29.95. There are no other ways.

3)i thought as much :rolleyes: neocron was discontied at £14.99 AND you really expect me to take this fact seriously when one of your 27 pound traders was trying to sell a cop of neocron for £38.99 those prices are a joke.Have you heard of the concept of consumer demand? People charge what they think they will get and none of that has anything to do with Reakktor. Reakktor are developers. Their publisher (CDV) sell it on to distributors to sell it on to retailers who sell it to you. That's life in the games business.

5)it doesnt state that anywhere, it is also a pain in the ass.To be honest I'm offended that you didn't read my post on page one of this thread where I told everyone who was listening that Reakktor tell you that it's going to cost you $29.85 not once, but twice! You say it doesn't state that anywhere? It's right there on your monitor.

6) $29.95 keeps the price of subsciptions low? you keep them low becuase the amount of input we get into this game is pretty minimal atm we are paying for bandwidth and 3-4 programmers, and i dont see how it can keep the price down when there seems to be minimal growth of player populations on any of the servers, infact there seems less than at the start of the year.What you're paying for is the best MMORPG there is, unless of course you're into dolls.

7) i hope they are paying you alot, cuz u deserve it.You're damn right he does.

i have a right to complain becuase i can and i will, there are several systems related to accounts that are quite frankly bugged.I think you're grasping now...

but im really glad you commented odin it was worth it just to get some sort of official representative to speak.Again, I'm offended.

while your here explain this

1) why is it $29.95 and i will stfu if im satisfied with the reasons. Why would we want you to STFU? You're right though, why should we charge $29.95 when you can watch wookies dance for $49.95. Why should our tank-drivin' customers pay $44.95 for a six-month subscription when you can stand, walk or even run in some other MMORPGs for $77.99.

N

Scikar
30-11-03, 04:47
I think that's really clever. The cheapest MMORPG on the market lowers its prices to satisfy the people who want to play 4 chars on a 1 char server, and a result go broke because they aren't getting enough money in due to the lack of a publisher. Real smart.

REMUS
30-11-03, 06:03
>That's 72 hours - there's a whole load of people to kill and >levels to ding in that time.

out of 168 hours what ever its no biggy.

>There are only two ways to buy Neocron. The first is from a >retail outlet (which will either be a discounted original, or a >cheaper re-sell). The second is the download, which is $29.95. >There are no other ways.

Ill edit this with the link that was posted in another thread showing nc for £4.99 dont know if that included a cd key tho.

>Have you heard of the concept of consumer demand? People >charge what they think they will get and none of that has >anything to do with Reakktor. Reakktor are developers. >Their publisher (CDV) sell it on to distributors to sell it >on to retailers who sell it to you. That's life in the games >business.

he was the one that used prices of amazon not me, i mearly stated the fact that those prices where outragous and couldnt be used to form a rational opinionated arguement like his.

>To be honest I'm offended that you didn't read my post on page >one of this thread where I told everyone who was listening that >Reakktor tell you that it's going to cost you $29.85 not once, but >twice! You say it doesn't state that anywhere? It's right >there on your monitor.

would some one who has no experiance of the game after downloading the game for free take the time to search the forums or email tech support? maybe, maybe not but im guess most would not unless they were really determined, the past two times ive sent emails to help desk they have closed the ticket without telling me and i had to get danae on irc to re open them.

>What you're paying for is the best MMORPG there is, unless of >course you're into dolls.

tinki winky owns you nidd

>You're damn right he does.

rightio

>I think you're grasping now...

Not really his statement was forgeing in my opinion to quiet my voice of protest, im not gonna do that for anyone.

>Again, I'm offended.

why should you be offended ill never meet you its a game this is a forum, sticks and stones? haha!!!

>Why would we want you to STFU? You're right though, why >should we charge $29.95 when you can watch wookies dance >for $49.95. Why should our tank-drivin' customers pay $44.95 >for a six-month subscription when you can stand, walk or >even run in some other MMORPGs for $77.99.
>
>N

yeah and how many people play star wars galaxys about 5000, proberbly more, they have a unique label that has appeal becuase well its star wars and star wars sells, nc hasnt got that, also im not talking about subscription im talking about sign up fee, now if nc was that good do you really think those 5000 people would be playing swg, im not saying nc is shit far from it, but it seems missmanaged atm.

I want you or some one to justify the $29.95 sign up fee and then like i said ill stfu, also fix the dam system so then once the 10 day trial is up you dont have to email accounts.

you still havnt answeared the question, all you have done is try to be witty like the last guy without getting to the point.

msdong
30-11-03, 09:41

would some one who has no experiance of the game after downloading the game for free take the time to search the forums or email tech support? maybe, maybe not but im guess most would not unless they were really determined, the past two times ive sent emails to help desk they have closed the ticket without telling me and i had to get danae on irc to re open them.

uhh, be carefull. you really should klick the links in the posts on the firstpage, before posting that things.
the second one send you directly to the signup page ...o_O

REMUS
30-11-03, 12:55
*sign* i mean once the trial period is up (after the 10 days) it just stops and says account expired, you check ur account details and it says nothing about emailing help desk or accounts or being able to subscribe, THATS WHAT I MEAN.

REMUS
02-12-03, 02:11
FFS i give up with this shit, you cant justify it and you wont admit it, its a stupid policy of recruitment, you havnt got any games in the shops and you sell it online with nothing but the soft ware for this price and you expect people to pay for nothing actually physical, all they are paying for is bandwidth and that sure as hell isnt as expensive as this charge.

close this thread or ill just keep bumping in the vain attempt to show how callous KK is and how they treat every aspect of this game that relates to us "oh we got a 5 digit number of subscribers so fuck anyone who makes a point"

screw you.

Scikar
02-12-03, 02:15
Remember it's the publisher's job to get the game on the shelves, that's what the whole deal is for. KK are supposed to maintain the game and the servers, not sell it. KK might not be perfect, but there's no need to give them shit about what CDV did wrong.

REMUS
02-12-03, 02:18
do they control the online price of the game or do cdv

you see the main grievence i have at the moment is the KK representatives that have posted here so far havnt acutally answeared anything, and CDV arnt a bad publisher and we havnt been given the whole story behind this so what am I supposed to think scikar?

Scikar
02-12-03, 02:24
CDV are a bad publisher. They provided little advertising, nothing but a shite flash movie, and the game has always been difficult to obtain. It's hardly ever been found in shops.

I'd say the price of the download version is acceptable as it is. It's cheaper than other MMORPGs, and KK do need the cash to tide them over while they have no publisher. Reducing the price is unlikely to attract new players, it's only going to reduce the income from people buying new accounts, which will happen anyway regardless of the price.

REMUS
02-12-03, 02:28
what i mean is CDV have alot of sucessful games under their belt and other mmorpgs have games in the shops so KK needs to compete, my arguement isnt with you since neither of us know the complete story there may be reasons why CDV acted in the manner they did that we dont know about.

Martin J. Schwiezer
02-12-03, 02:32
The price of 29.95 USD has been set by CDV. Whoever sells NC for less than 29.95 USD does that without looking at the "recommended" sales price (maybe to clear stock).

It is a little uncomfortable to install the retail version, since it requires patching and patching for hours. Of course you could say that the download goes on for hours and hours too, but I prefer getting a game as a solid package.

Jest
02-12-03, 02:33
I say yes but one exception. If I have to pay for DoY on both my accounts then I'm quitting. Haha not really but it will be teh suck anyways. I know several people that have 3 or 4 accounts. Imagine if you have to pay 30 bucks for each account you own. Boom 120 bucks down the tube.

Also there was recently a thread about like GameStop selling copies of Cron for $5 each. That saves $25 on the total price and is a pretty sweet deal. I myself bought 3 to get friends into the game.

Hehe, oh and good posts mods/gms. ;)

Scikar
02-12-03, 02:34
The guy from CDV posted in their forums, I think, anyway I don't remember where he posted it, but I do know he said that they didn't expect NC to be very successful, so the entire budget for European marketing of the game was something like £10,000. Whereas their successful games are given a lot more. It's on that point that I think CDV are a bad publisher, they never even gave the game a chance, either because they didn't look at it long enough, or because they didn't recognise KK as a well established developer who could guarantee a return. And I hate publishers who would rather publish a Half-Life, Quake, or Command and Conquer clone because they know they can milk it than reward innovation which is where the true rewards lie.

REMUS
02-12-03, 02:42
Originally posted by Martin J. Schwiezer
The price of 29.95 USD has been set by CDV. Whoever sells NC for less than 29.95 USD does that without looking at the "recommended" sales price (maybe to clear stock).

It is a little uncomfortable to install the retail version, since it requires patching and patching for hours. Of course you could say that the download goes on for hours and hours too, but I prefer getting a game as a solid package.

definately, i like it when you post since you dont have an attitude like alot of the mods :)

so its a RRP not a set in stone price? so that means you can lower it if you want? dont you think it would be a better policy for people to play the game for free and then start paying the subscription fee rather than paying a 29.95 charge for litterally nothing? i think it would increase the player base expodantially once you get another publisher.

Since when you release DOY people will be paying for the expansion too so you can afford to let people download the game now for alot less since most people that stay will buy the expansion? its a sound buissness plan to me MJS emply me plz i wanna help KK winz0r!

DAMN U I DO A LEVEL ECONOMICS lol :lol: i know my shit *cough* most of the time *cough*

EDIT:anyway im going to bed im so glad you have read this and commented MJS its made my day!

Shadow Dancer
02-12-03, 02:44
Didn't CDV(or whatever) publish Divine Divinity?

Jest
02-12-03, 02:45
Originally posted by Scikar
The guy from CDV posted in their forums, I think, anyway I don't remember where he posted it, but I do know he said that they didn't expect NC to be very successful, so the entire budget for European marketing of the game was something like £10,000. Whereas their successful games are given a lot more. It's on that point that I think CDV are a bad publisher, they never even gave the game a chance, either because they didn't look at it long enough, or because they didn't recognise KK as a well established developer who could guarantee a return. And I hate publishers who would rather publish a Half-Life, Quake, or Command and Conquer clone because they know they can milk it than reward innovation which is where the true rewards lie. Crap like that makes me mad. :mad: Albiet I have absolutely no idea how much money £10,000 is but I'm guessing its pretty low. :lol:

It's kind of off topic but I've never seen an ad for Neocron any where but Fileplanet. I'm sorry to say but I think the only thing keeping this game alive is the word of mouth advertising to friends. A friend got me to play, and I've gotten at least 4 other people to play. I don't know how much Cron is advertised in Europe but here in the good ole USA (and Canada too I guess) I really think we need some massive advertising.

Anyway I voted yes to this thread, but I'm voting no to any DoY payments for vets. Also is there any way to maybe get a referall system in place? Like if some one enters in a new account (and makes it past the trial period) and enters in my account name as a referall then I would get like a month free or something? That would be hella sweet. And people who are buying additional accounts for themselves can just get an easy 10 bucks of credit for their main account. :p

LVirus
02-12-03, 10:23
Originally posted by Odin
When the new publisher deal is signed things are going to change dramatically and the download issue will probably be part of it.

Guys. Anyone of you noticed this little side note? Do you understand that being a cheapest MMORPG out there, KK does have a pressure to raise prices but they also know that by doing it, they will lose more customers.

This prolly means that DoY will NOT be a free dload because otherwise Martin would have contract by now and that monthly free will be rised.

(Just speculations but use your common sense)

IceStorm
02-12-03, 11:36
FFS i give up with this shit, you cant justify it and you wont admit it,
What do they have to justify? KK thinks the game is worth $29.95 for the first month.

Download game and pay nothing for the first 10 days. If you don't like it, cancel and owe nothing.

If you like it, pay $29.95, which I believe includes the first month, so that means you're paying KK for account creation, maintenance, and the first complete month of service.

What else do they have to justify? KK wants to make money. Charging us for the privilige of playing on their servers is justification enough. That you can get cheap physical copies is not their concern. If you'd rather pay $15 for the first month, do so by buying the game from GameStop for $4.95 and pay $9.95 for the first month of service.

Why would GameStop dumping the game for $5 cause KK to change their download price if plenty are buying the game via download? KK charges what they think the market will bear. If sales drop, they'll change the price or the add some sort of bonus.

EDIT: GameStop doesn't have it for $5 any longer (at least, not online). GoGamer does have it for $9.90, then $5.99 for shipping.

REMUS
02-12-03, 13:01
creation and maintainance per account is nothing, they dont maintain accounts, paying $29 for bandwidth is stupid, when its the only obvious way to sign up to nc, the game is now dated in comparison to most current and forthcoming MMORPG's.

with average player count on servers so low, im frustrated KK arnt doing anything to even try and increase player base, i know they cant advertise so why not just lower the price becuase

a)its over priced
b)other mmorpgs may have a higher subscription but they have massive player bases
c)More subscriptions = more net profit that a $29.95 charge over a long period of time and lets face it we are in for a long haul here considering DOY is gonna be another 3-4 months :(

so tell me again how KK can justify $29.95 charge and quit bringing up subscriptions becuase its got pretty much nothing to do with this, so what if they charge £/$4.99 or what ever it is, if they charged much more alot of ppl prolly wouldnt still be playing.

IceStorm
02-12-03, 13:10
creation and maintainance per account is nothing,
How do you know that WorldPay provides its services to KK for free?

How do you know that the part of the NC server system which creates accounts was coded for free?

they dont maintain accounts,They don't? So the hard disks and server maintenance that keep the bits which define our player characters are free?
paying $29 for bandwidth is stupid,Who said that the whole $29.95 goes to the price of the bandwidth needed to download NC?
when its the only obvious way to sign up to nc,I told of at least one place online where you can still get a physical copy. There's at least one other place online you can get a copy, as well as a copy or two sitting on the shelves of an EB I frequent. The two locations I found online were right out of a pricegrabber search.
the game is now dated in comparison to most current and forthcoming MMORPG's.Half-Life is dated in comparison to UT2K3 and TRON 2.0, but people still buy it.

Don't even bother mentioning "forthcoming MMORPG's" - if NC's taught you anything, it's that until it's retail it's just a beta dream filled with freeloading gamers who showed up for the free punch and pie.

so tell me again how KK can justify $29.95 charge and quit bringing up subscriptions becuase its got pretty much nothing to do with this
I did a few posts up. Would you like me to quote my entire previous post?

REMUS
02-12-03, 13:25
>How do you know that WorldPay provides its services to KK for >free?

Per account? next to nothing, use your comman sense im makeing assumptions that i wont get asked things like this since charges of this type are always based on a percentage, world pay is an automated system with very few actual opertors, so no i wouldnt consider that a part of the $29.95 fee i would consider that a part of the 4.99 sub fee since kk have to pay monthly and every month ice you can dump that price on the sign up fee ice.

>How do you know that the part of the NC server system which >creates accounts was coded for free?
>They don't? So the hard disks and server maintenance that >keep the bits which define our player characters are free?Who >said that the whole $29.95 goes to the price of the >bandwidth .needed to download NC?I told of at least one place >online where you can still get a physical copy. There's at >least .one other place online you can get a copy, as well as a >copy or two sitting on the shelves of an EB I frequent. The two >locations I found online were right out of a >pricegrabber .search.Half-Life is dated in comparison to UT2K3 >and TRON 2.0, but people still buy it.

Yeah and how many times has half life won game of the year? and how many people brought those games tens of thousands you fool NC has no where near those type of sales, the $29.95 would have to be bandwidth oh and lets not forget the hard disk space since the servers that will be uploading to you are already used for the games net code so its no extra expense to KK, and you are telling me that those places you named where obvious!!!??! like hell some one browseing would have to be looking SPECIFICALLY for NC and lets face it how many people would do that now?

>Don't even bother mentioning "forthcoming MMORPG's" - if NC's >taught you anything, it's that until it's retail it's just a beta >dream filled with freeloading gamers who showed up for the >free punch and pie.

HAHAHAHA! so your telling me WoW is gonna flop!!!! OMG LOL!!!

>I did a few posts up. Would you like me to quote my entire >previous post?

Yes because you have proves apsolutely nothing apprt from the fact you cant read and you are short sighted.

REMUS
02-12-03, 13:28
well personally i think that sharpening carrots is the greatest pastime in the world. just give me a carrot and a pencil sharpener and i will be happy for hours.

Lathuc
02-12-03, 13:52
what your complaining cause you hafta pay 29,95$ for a game don't make me laugh i pay around 60$ for a new game at a game store over here don't even think about complaining about that price

IceStorm
02-12-03, 13:52
world pay is an automated system with very few actual opertors
I think you underestimate infrastructure costs...

the $29.95 would have to be bandwidth
Why? Can't some of it be profit?

oh and lets not forget the hard disk space since the servers that will be uploading to you are already used for the games net code
Do you mean patches? If so, you don't have to download the patches from the Neocron gameservers. ftp.neocron.com is apparently not the same thing as the gameservers and stores all the patches...

so its no extra expense to KK,Disk space, network infrastucture to handle the downloads in a timely fashion, bandwidth... all are expenses.
and you are telling me that those places you named where obvious!!!??! like hell some one browseing would have to be looking SPECIFICALLY for NC and lets face it how many people would do that now?
All the people looking for extra copies of NC to create extra accounts? Anyone not already aware of NC may simply stumble across the Neocron website, see $29.95, see that it's cheaper than the box cost of many other MMOs and isn't set in fantasy land, then buy it....

LVirus
02-12-03, 14:13
Noone replyed to my theory about rising fees and not free doy :(

REMUS
02-12-03, 20:03
>I think you underestimate infrastructure costs...

I think you dont know how much it costs...

>Why? Can't some of it be profit?

about 95% of it is profit thats the problem

>Do you mean patches? If so, you don't have to download the >patches from the Neocron gameservers. ftp.neocron.com is >apparently not the same thing as the gameservers and stores >all the patches...

The patchs are stored on the game server it even tells you the ftp site is an alternative for faster downloading... same server just a different set up that allows higher bandwidth per user and the game files for download are on those servers.

>Disk space, network infrastucture to handle the downloads in a >timely fashion, bandwidth... all are expenses.

No its not becuase they rent the dam servers, same cost per unit no matter the useage.

>All the people looking for extra copies of NC to create extra >accounts? Anyone not already aware of NC may simply stumble >across the Neocron website, see $29.95, see that it's cheaper >than the box cost of many other MMOs and isn't set in fantasy >land, then buy it....

The box cost of nc (in the shop not download) is the same as other mmorpgs you idiot thats the problem, why the hell are you argueing with me your not even making any valid points???

REMUS
02-12-03, 20:04
Originally posted by Lathuc
what your complaining cause you hafta pay 29,95$ for a game don't make me laugh i pay around 60$ for a new game at a game store over here don't even think about complaining about that price

READ THE DAM THREAD, we are paying $29.95 for nothing, its a download, read the thread and comment again plz, and nc cost $60 when it was first released.

Nidhogg
02-12-03, 20:52
May I apologise for my "attitude" before going any further. o_O

REMUS, please stop double-posting on this thread. It's against the rules. Also, what you are failing to understand is that Reakktor have to invest their own money to front the development costs. Do you understand that? Reakktor have to pay developers, artists, sound engineers, etc. etc. for years before the game comes to market. They then make projections based on the RRP agreed with the publisher for how many units need to be shifted to recoup that investment. Some of it came from the distribution deal and some of it comes from downloads.

Neocron is worth every penny of it's miserly $29.95 fee. I've been playing this game on retail for over a year - how many Playstation games (that cost 2-3 times the price) last even a fraction of that time?

So, points to take away with you:

1) The investment needs to be recouped, thus driving a price schedule well into the future
2) Neocron is worth it and you know it.

N

Oath
02-12-03, 20:56
Originally posted by Nidhogg
2) Neocron is worth it and you know it.

N

Indeed, the only problem neocron has is its player base, however, mebbe it'll grow, mebbe it wont, certainly its not gonna die as certain people have predicted, we're gonna lost a lot of people until doy comes, when doy comes sure mebbe they'll return, fact is who cares, stop wining about 'everyones leaving' 'lack of content' coz its BS, NC > *

REMUS
02-12-03, 21:24
>May I apologise for my "attitude" before going any further. o_O

Hypocrite :p

>REMUS, please stop double-posting on this thread. It's against >the rules. Also, what you are failing to understand is that >Reakktor have to invest their own money to front the >development costs. Do you understand that? Reakktor have to >pay developers, artists, sound engineers, etc. etc. for years/i] >efore the game comes to market. They then make rojections >ased on the RRP agreed with the publisher for how many units >eed to be shifted to recoup that investment. Some of it came >rom the distribution deal and some of it comes from downloads.

so your saying that after over a year KK still arnt in a profit margin? hmmmm well that isnt good buissness practice, ever quest was in profit inside 6 months.

>eocron is worth every penny of it's miserly $29.95 fee. I've >een playing this game on retail for over a year - how many >laystation games (that cost 2-3 times the price) last even a >raction of that time?

it wasnt $29.95 when it started, im complaining about that fact that we get relatively little in comparison to the hardcopy for this "trial" version, we also got more free time i got 6 weeks.

>So, points to take away with you:

>1) The investment needs to be recouped, thus driving a price schedule well into the future.

how much longer is it going to take?

>2) Neocron is worth it and you know it.

for me? no its not at the moment, im only staying for fight night and the pluto comunity, the game is wearing very thin and im not renewing my suscription when it ends at the end of dec, lack of content and empty promises are not somthing that makes me wish to stay, i may return for DOY but at the moment unless, player base sky rockets and you guys start organiseing a proper in game story line with well thought out events, ill keep my money in the bank.

[i]Originally posted by Oath
Indeed, the only problem neocron has is its player base, however, mebbe it'll grow, mebbe it wont, certainly its not gonna die as certain people have predicted, we're gonna lost a lot of people until doy comes, when doy comes sure mebbe they'll return, fact is who cares, stop wining about 'everyones leaving' 'lack of content' coz its BS, NC > *

problem is oath it aint BS, people are leaveing and not being replaced, there is a lack of content, and the lag on alot of the servers even with such low populations forced me and my freind to log off our tanks becuase it was to dangerous to hunt wbs with 15sec+ lag outs, and they supposedly fixed a load of bugs last patch O_o

Scikar
02-12-03, 21:40
If people like you are going to bitch anyway even when KK charge so little for the game in the first place, surely they might as well double the price? You're going to complain anyway, so what difference will it make apart from making more money?

If KK were acting like EA and blatantly overcharging players then I could see your point. But $29.95 is hardly a lot of money, hell the average price of games in the UK now is £35, which is in pounds as well, not dollars.

I would in fact be happy to pay more than that for this game, and as long as the majority of players feel the same way (remember the poll when someone asked if people would be happy to pay a small amount for DoY, like $5, just to give KK a little boost, and it was almost completely a yes vote?) then I doubt KK will find it necessary to drop the price.

LVirus
02-12-03, 21:52
MJS! I know your lurking there! Give me straight answer that how much will DOY gonna cost for us who got game already? 19.99e or what? Because you know that I know that you know that its not going to be free anymore. Otherwise you would have had a contract by now.

REMUS
02-12-03, 22:31
If people like you are going to bitch anyway even when KK charge so little for the game in the first place, surely they might as well double the price? You're going to complain anyway, so what difference will it make apart from making more money?

WTF kind of weird logic is that, i feel like i shouldnt even comment on it, if im so wrong and you are so right then why have 70% of the voters agreed with me? Sine when have i complain about priceing, THE GAME IS 1 YEAR OLD [ edited for violation of the forum rules - flaming ], how much does daoc retail for now? i had a quick look and you can buy the game AND the expansion pack for £25.99 [ edited - flaming ], and thats a boxed set not a "download".

[i]If KK were acting like EA and blatantly overcharging players then I could see your point. But $29.95 is hardly a lot of money, hell the average price of games in the UK now is £35, which is in pounds as well, not dollars. [/B]

EA RELEASE THERE GAMES AT £32.99 NC was released at £29.99 a year ago and it sure as hell aint worth that much now.

[i]I would in fact be happy to pay more than that for this game, and as long as the majority of players feel the same way (remember the poll when someone asked if people would be happy to pay a small amount for DoY, like $5, just to give KK a little boost, and it was almost completely a yes vote?) then I doubt KK will find it necessary to drop the price. [/B]

I would be prepared to pay more for the subscription charge, but im not paying that much for nothing as well as dated software *dude*.

[ edited - trolling ]

Scikar
02-12-03, 22:38
WTF kind of weird logic is that, i feel like i shouldnt even comment on it, if im so wrong and you are so right then why have 70% of the voters agreed with me? Sine when have i complain about priceing, THE GAME IS 1 YEAR OLD u moroic fool, how much does daoc retail for now? i had a quick look and you can buy the game AND the expansion pack for £25.99 so plz stfu u weird person, and thats a boxed set not a "download".

Except NC's price is in DOLLARS which means it's actually more like £20. And 70% of the voters have agreed with you because they want to pay less money, as everyone does. It's like if you had a vote on the complete abolishment of taxes, 80% of voters would vote yes, even though it would more than likely leave them worse off.

EA RELEASE THERE GAMES AT £32.99 NC was released at £29.99 a year ago and it sure as hell aint worth that much now.

Then I guess we have different ideas on the game's value. If you think it's not worth it, don't pay it. The arguement that more people are leaving than are joining has no proof. There are less people than the start of retail, true, but that doesn't mean it's currently in decline. They are statistics you don't have.

I would be prepared to pay more for the subscription charge, but im not paying that much for nothing as well as dated software *dude*.

go get a clue and come back plz.

And nobody is forcing you to. You don't even NEED to pay it, you already have an account! I think that more people would have voted to keep the current price if you had said decrease the initial price but increase the subscription cost.

REMUS
02-12-03, 22:51

Except NC's price is in DOLLARS which means it's actually more like £20. And 70% of the voters have agreed with you because they want to pay less money, as everyone does. It's like if you had a vote on the complete abolishment of taxes, 80% of voters would vote yes, even though it would more than likely leave them worse off. [/B]

thats a stupid arguement, we are talking about trial accounts, not subscription, people who have already got an account would be paying for two accounts and new players too which = more net profit read my old posts sckar ive already covered all of this, people agreeing with my poll already have and account otherwise they wouldnt be able to post so they have already paid the original fee. I couldnt find a price for DAOC from a retailer for a new price, but the bundle of an expansion pack and game means that the actual price of the game should be around £15 which is less than the £17.04 that KK are making new peeps pay...

[i]Then I guess we have different ideas on the game's value. If you think it's not worth it, don't pay it. The arguement that more people are leaving than are joining has no proof. There are less people than the start of retail, true, but that doesn't mean it's currently in decline. They are statistics you don't have. [/B]

yes i dont think its worth it thats why im argueing my case for my opinion so far no one has put forward a convinceing arguement that i havnt been able to counter and im not going to pay it again yes i do have them i was talking in the long run, since retail player count has dropped 55%? you cannot ignore that fact, and in the short term there have been many leaveing threads hell there was a thread saying an entire clan was disbanding and quitting nc o_O obviously i dont have the facts and figures but KK does, and no one has put forth and hard evidence.

[i]And nobody is forcing you to. You don't even NEED to pay it, you already have an account! I think that more people would have voted to keep the current price if you had said decrease the initial price but increase the subscription cost. [/B]

GRRRR that was a new point i said i wouldnt "MIND" paying extra for the subscription, thats got nothing to do with my arguement, im merely stateing that the Trial price is not a fair price. In any shape or form.

Scikar
02-12-03, 23:14
Fine so we disagree. Fact is, KK will continue to charge the price they think is right. Currently that price is $29.99, charged only after you've played the first 10 days. And your argument doesn't seem to have convinced them to change it.

REMUS
02-12-03, 23:31
i didnt think it would scikar :( i cant say i havnt tried my dammed hardest tho, i cant make them lower it, i can put forth arguements and counter theirs but i cant make them do anything, im just one person it seems :( and in a capatilist society 1 person doesnt mean jack.

Zanathos
03-12-03, 07:36
I feel bad now..... I never payed the money to get the game :(

But theres the account activation cost! Heh heh.....

I still feel bad :(

/me bows head down in shame, crawls into a tiny dark hole.

Thanks guys :(

:lol: :lol: :lol:

IceStorm
03-12-03, 10:26
The box cost of nc (in the shop not download) is the same as other mmorpgs you idiot thats the problem,
On www.ebgames.com (EB and GameStop are big game retailers here in the USA), most of the MMOs are $40 to $50 USD. NC is $29.95 USD. Games that are 30 GBP cost considerably more than 29.95 USD. As of this post, 30 GBP is equivalent to 51.87 USD.

Nidhogg
03-12-03, 12:56
if im so wrong and you are so right then why have 70% of the voters agreed with me?ROFL. If you'd put another option in for Reakktor to pay you $29.95 you might even have persuaded the drom sex0rs to vote for it! :p

N

P.S. I'll ask you once again not to break any more forum rules...

Kiel
03-12-03, 13:56
how about issueing a CD with a key once the person has paid the 29.95 amount, its not fair that a user has to pay more money for a game they already paid for. I want a fucking CD, i paid money for the game didnt i?

Zanathos
03-12-03, 15:07
If you people cant afford to buy the game in a store, activate an account and pay for on month, then you shouldnt be paying for Neocron.

Of course It didnt really matter to me because I DOWNLOADED Neocron.

REMUS
03-12-03, 18:42
thing is zanthros i have paid £29.99 for the game a year ago, and ive paid $29.95 for a 3rd account (i got my 2nd char off ebay), i dont think its fair that people that already have the game should keep having to pay $29.95, i can afford it but i wont pay it again, it is also expensive for a game thats one year old.

Its the princible not the price zanthros.

IceStorm i did a search for "neocron" on that EB site and i went through all the RPG's neocron isnt even there and why would it? NC doesnt even have a publisher now!

So get this:

We got no advertisement
We got no games on the shelves
We have a game that is a year old and is getting dated and KK still want $29.99 even if the person buying has paid full price and owns other accounts.

YEHA!!!!

Zanathos
03-12-03, 18:53
Im sure that when everything is sorted out with the publisher that Neocron will be rereleased with DoY which will justify its 29.99 cost.

Be happy its not like everquest where KK is shoving expansions up the ying yang.

On another note, its YOUR choice to activate ANOTHER account.

No matter how much money I make or how much I enjoy a game, I will NOT get a 2nd account.

If you get another account JUST for Pluto, then maybe you shouldnt be playing on a 1 character server? Makes sense dont it?

Maybe you should make some friends? If its a trade skill issue. I have 3 researchers I can rely on, 2 constructors, and 1 repairer. I can poke myself. Even though I only have 1 repairer friend, I have no problem with waiting for that person to come online to get my stuff repaired. What do I do to pass the time? I PLAY ON SATURN OR URANUS!

I swear, you people argue over the silliest things.

Unless your arguing about the fact that it is still being sold at that price in stores. Which I could imagine it IS NOT. I never seen a store sell a game at the same price after a year.

Elric
03-12-03, 19:10
erm, oops.. My original vote seems wrong... I voted to lower it believing the charge was £29.99 not $29.99.

can someone tell me what 29.99USD would be in GBP?

I may buy another acount now that I have lost the trust in using "public" tradeskillers after reading a certain few threads....

Although i must admit, Gleep rocks and is as trustworthy as they get from my experience so far.

REMUS
03-12-03, 19:14
all my chars are pure pvp with the exception of my pistol spy, but he has a kami and whay and is a tl 100 poker and tl 97 barter as wella s tl 110 weapon law, nothing to do with anything else.

i have more than one account becuase i gor BORED with the game just playing one char, i play on uranus as well but not to the same degree, my choice i can have a 1000 accounts if i want i wont be judged by anyone, i dont put myself up on a predistal becuase i dont care what most people think about me, i have a great clan a wealth of freindship on pluto, i dont need to take"i r teh role player" attitude toward the game, becuase i dont have to.

what you are saying this isnt even an intelligent confrontational veiw, infact im not sure what your point is? if you want more than one char play on a 4 char server? i dont like saturn and pluto has a far more productive community than any of the servers. So erm plz make a point that isnt already obvious?

yeah it is my choice to get another account.... and? there are many people like me that do this, KK can make more money and i want a people who wouldnt normally bother playing a game thats 1 year old to increase the player base...

I want to play on pluto now read the thread use comman sense and read comments on previous posts i havnt got the time to keep answearing things ive already answeared and if you still think im talking bull shit post again with new questions and ill try to answear them.

Originally posted by Elric
erm, oops.. My original vote seems wrong... I voted to lower it believing the charge was £29.99 not $29.99.

can someone tell me what 29.99USD would be in GBP?

I may buy another acount now that I have lost the trust in using "public" tradeskillers after reading a certain few threads....

Although i must admit, Gleep rocks and is as trustworthy as they get from my experience so far.

about £17 i think the url is www.xe.com for a good currency exchanger, ill check now.

$29.95 = 17.36 GBP

Zanathos
03-12-03, 19:38
Once again, your choice to have multiple accounts.

Once again, your choice to do so just to have more characters to play on Pluto.

Once again, there are four, four characters servers and one, one character server.

If you want another account JUST for another character to play on Pluto because you like the community there, then thats your choice.

No amount of arguement is going to change those facts.

You have some choices.

1)Deal with it, pay the price and have more than 1 account just so you can have another player on a 1 character server.

2)Play on a 4 character server

3)Stop playing.

4)bitch and complain

Cant think of anything else, running out of time, cya, I have no further comment on this thread.

Elric
03-12-03, 19:48
about £17 i think the url is www.xe.com for a good currency exchanger, ill check now.

$29.95 = 17.36 GBP

Thanks Remus

Not too bad admitedly, but still a bit expensive really. Considering you can still get it for about £4.99 in the few places (web included) that still have some stock of it. Much better than £29.99 though as I first thought it was.

REMUS
03-12-03, 20:45
>Once again, your choice to have multiple accounts.

Yes and? hows this going to change anything for anyone else?

>Once again, your choice to do so just to have more characters >to play on Pluto.

you just said that...

>Once again, there are four, four characters servers and one, >one character server.

and i said i wanted to have multiple charecters on a single charecter server... and there are three 4 char servers and two one char servers isnt there?

>If you want another account JUST for another character to play >on Pluto because you like the community there, then thats your >choice.

............your a genius :confused: and you already said that

>No amount of arguement is going to change those facts.

if i dont argue nothing will change *dude* im unhappy about the situation and im getting my voice heard

>You have some choices.

>1)Deal with it, pay the price and have more than 1 account just >so you can have another player on a 1 character server.

yeah and ive done that?

>2)Play on a 4 character server

Ive already said thats not an option

>3)Stop playing.

I am

>4)bitch and complain

it isnt bitching its a structured aguementative thread with people like you popping in every now and again spouting useless crap, read scikars posts, they are arguements you havnt even got a point to your posts.

>Cant think of anything else, running out of time, cya, I have no >further comment on this thread.

i cant say that i care but you havnt even said anything, that i havnt already commented on, so thank you for your erm.... contribution.

Scikar
03-12-03, 20:51
So why aren't you campaigning for Pluto to be turned into a 4 char server? You're playing the server the way it was not intended to be played, therefore I see no reason why KK should be making concessions. Pluto is supposed to be the server where people who want their reputation to mean something can play, where they only have one character. You are destroying the whole point of a 1 char server in the first place, so I see no reason why KK should make it easier for you to do so.

REMUS
03-12-03, 21:15
im not destroying anything. what am i destroying? each one of my chars has a reputation and a charecter of its own! they all belong to different factions and i use them all in different ways both in role playing factors and combat.

I dont want pluto to be 4 slot becuase it will result in muleing, looseing the charecter of the server. I basically dont want to re roll my char's because ive spent so much time on them! so i make another one.