View Full Version : My thoughts on APU spells..............

Shadow Dancer
28-11-03, 11:32
Sometimes I think random damage is what made apus overpowered in terms of damage. Whatever. If KK is gonna leave that in..........then these are my suggestions

1.Holy Lightning damage needs to come down. OR just lower the "ceiling" for random damage. I prefer the 2nd one.

2.Energy beam is vastly overpowered IMO, for it's TL. I get loot rights almost every time with this, compared to capped or near capped runners with rares. It needs a good damage reduction. Or maybe all the "top" non rares should get a damage boost?

3.Holy energy halo is overpowered as well. Except I think it's TL should be upped rather than reducing it's power. Something like TL 70..........

4.Fire spells are messed up. I don't know what the hell is wrong with them. Before random damage fire spells outdamaged energy spells in PvM. As it should be since their higher TL. However, for some reason fire sucked in PvP against someone with good resists. It makes no sense that fire apoc does less than HL and is slower as well. I swear, i bet it has something to do with the stack. And there's no stacking bonus guys, get over that rumor lol. After random damage, fire spells just became worse for PvP. IMO. I think fire apoc should do more damage than HL(AFTER hl has been tweaked I mean) and I think it shouldn't do stack damage. I bet you that's the problem for it being "underpowered" in pvp.

5.Poison spells are underpowered IMO. However I think that the damage should be more front loaded, this should be the 5 second stack instead of fire. And I think shelter should protect more against it.

6.Give us psi attack 3? Pls? :lol:

7.Um, the range nerf to about 150m is just right for PvP. But for PvM it SUCKS, I mean it really sucks..............:(

Well, these are just my thoughts.

SorkZmok
28-11-03, 11:52
sex

good thoughts, i completely agree.

QuantumDelta
28-11-03, 12:25
I talked to you about most of these, I see some results of our conversations mentioned (:p) but I wanted to say, to compensate for the Range nerf in PvM.
Give APUs a TL3 Heal that CANNOT BE RUN CASTED, and it'll be fine.

Why no runcast?
Because it completely negates any idiots saying "OMFG APUs with heal = teh overpowared!" :p

Shadow Dancer
28-11-03, 12:26
Originally posted by QuantumDelta
I talked to you about most of these, I see some results of our conversations mentioned (:p)

What do you mean? Where?

:confused:

I agree about the TL 3 healzor btw.

QuantumDelta
28-11-03, 12:27
Poison Shelter :p

Shadow Dancer
28-11-03, 12:27

wow you replied fast lolorz

And yea you're right. hehe. I knew I was thinking to myself "damn someone told me that, who was it........"

:p

QuantumDelta
28-11-03, 12:31
Oh I didn't tell you it, I brought you to the conclusion but you made the leap yourself - should poison be made much more powerful, or should it be made to stack like fire, it would need to be resisted by shelter :p

You said it yourself really...

Sorin
28-11-03, 12:34
All that sounds good to me, but I'm still wondering about something with that random damage. If I'm the one using the apu, I do indeed seen a different damage number roll off with each hit, and it's random, seemingly. But when I'm watching someone else's apu doing the attacking, I see identical damage numbers rolling off every time (same goes for melee btw). So, which is correct? Is the view from the other person bugged? Or is there no random damage? I'm assuming the former since I could have sworn I read in patch notes somewhere before that KK actually said they added random damage.

Oh, and about the poison stack suggestion, you mean something like the DoT stack of the nail guns with poison nails (not damage wise, talk about underpowered, though maybe that's just the TL)? You can stack the crap out of it but it doesn't last long.

QuantumDelta
28-11-03, 12:36
YOU (The APU) see the real damage.
They don't.

Don't know why....

Shadow Dancer
28-11-03, 12:39
Originally posted by Sorin

Oh, and about the poison stack suggestion, you mean something like the DoT stack of the nail guns with poison nails (not damage wise, talk about underpowered, though maybe that's just the TL)? You can stack the crap out of it but it doesn't last long.

Yup.

And QD is correct about random damage.

Dribble Joy
28-11-03, 12:42
Yarr me likes in general.

Shelter helping vs poison would be nice, atm we have nothing but armour which is in very short supply.

Sorin
28-11-03, 12:42
Originally posted by Shadow Dancer

Originally posted by Sorin

Yup.

With that proposed DoT change, then I say sure, crank the damage up. It's your own dumbass fault if you let someone get 16 stacks on you :p

t0tt3
28-11-03, 13:13

Antiposion sanctum ? :rolleyes:

Wannabe
28-11-03, 13:25
I don't see a point in shelter protecting againts poison.

First off, shelter is meant for fire/energy/x-ray damage and deflector for force/piercing damage.

PPUs have anti-poison sanctum, catharsis sanctum and antidote to deal with poison. If you take out APUs ability to kill PPUs without antibuff/antishelter with a poison shelter, the PPUs will come unkillable.

I've been wondering why we don't have a rare poison beam. We got normal energy/poison/fire beams and then holy lightning and fire apoc for "holy" versions and we have all 3 rare barrels.

Where's the rare version of rare poison beam? No where.

Secondly, if you think how a PPU (atleast how I would do) would protect himself of poison. First, put up a anti-poison sanctum, then freeze the APU and lastly, run away from his range. If you don't have anti-poison sanctum, use antidote or catharsis sanctum.

After this rant, I agree with the rest of your post ShadowDancer. Good suggestions. About the PvM range, I'd like to see the energy beam range stay the same (for PvM) and the rare beams range to be reduced to 150m or so.

// Wannabe

Original monk
28-11-03, 13:45
i agree with you in every extend, except i dont get what you mean with the poisondamage, you want the poisondamage to become a 5 sec stack like the fire apoc ? or yust keep the current damage over time but let it do the most amount of damage in the first 5 seconds ? i prefer the last one :)

and yeah, up the poisonspells damage, and up the firespells (especialy FA) damage.
The tl of the holy energy halo isnt that important to me (the diffrence is small anyway, in this fase of leveling you level quick to higher spells) , but indeed the energybeam is a bit overpowerd (the speed you can cast em and the damage they do accordingly is a bit to much), but like i said in the beginning, i agree completely :)

nice post, voted some starz hehe

Heavyporker
28-11-03, 19:01
nasty idea...I prefer the "long haul" of poison. And, really, shelter already defends too well without upping its protection to poison and there's already the antidote stuff.

Yes - FA needs a proper work-over to bring it better into line with HL. I think random damage is dumbassed, and I think that no TLs should be raised, really. TL raise = more damage. That's the way KK coded it.

I still support the idea of Bloodviper King dropping a poisonlance spell.

t0tt3
28-11-03, 19:24
FA sucks =/ After the MEGA nerf on posion when all carebares had 0 por and whined al over the NC formu "Good job junkies" Made it hehehe you can outheal 7-9 stacks... and with a drug you only need a tl 3 heal.. "yes I can kill apus :P"

Think they should raise the dmg on the FA or just make it 105/min RoF and then make a rare posion spell... with a RoF at 85/min or maybe unde 80 and make it like the old good posion when you where afraid of it :D

So this..
FA - Raise RoF to 105 or upgrade dmg

HL - Lower the high end max dmg ok nice to solo wbs with 600 dmg per hit but come on :p and then if so raise the lowest dmg output with 10 - 20%

PB - Make the dmg as it was before but lower the RoF you wonder why all have 0 POR :rolleyes:

TL 3 heal - yea give us a self only heal APU:s need som love in that area to =)

btw 5 stars.... nerf the APU:s....

Spoon
28-11-03, 19:50
Originally posted by Shadow Dancer
2.Energy beam is vastly overpowered IMO, for it's TL. I get loot rights almost every time with this, compared to capped or near capped runners with rares. It needs a good damage reduction. Or maybe all the "top" non rares should get a damage boost?

APU's are supposed to be the top damage dealers, right?
This wouldn't be a problem if they didn't raise the damage cap to 648%, and threw in the randomness of damage, which needs to be removed before you start to nerf....ermmm,...tweak APU damage....

3.Holy energy halo is overpowered as well. Except I think it's TL should be upped rather than reducing it's power. Something like TL 70..........

That would make it even more overpowered, by raising it's TL, you would start to cap it by the time your in APU PA 1, and be doing some mad-ass damage with it even longer while leveling and using other spells in combo with it....

7.Um, the range nerf to about 150m is just right for PvP. But for PvM it SUCKS, I mean it really sucks..............:(

I'm not sure about PvP, but for mobs/leveling a cap of 150m would suck on lower TL, uncapped spells, ie; it would really hose the low and mid level APU's......
Not to mention, how that's going to effect barrel range.......

A range nerf is what concerns me the most how's that going to done without screwing the lower and mid level/uncapped spells..

Shadow Dancer
28-11-03, 22:22
Originally posted by Spoon

APU's are supposed to be the top damage dealers, right?
This wouldn't be a problem if they didn't raise the damage cap to 648%, and threw in the randomness of damage, which needs to be removed before you start to nerf....ermmm,...tweak APU damage....
[/B]

There was nothing wrong with the high damage cap, as a matter of fact all this damage tweak wouldn't have to be done if randomness was just done away with.

That would make it even more overpowered, by raising it's TL, you would start to cap it by the time your in APU PA 1, and be doing some mad-ass damage with it even longer while leveling and using other spells in combo with it....

I meant raising it's TL, then lowering the damage to what it is now. Or alternatively, just remove random damage ffs.

I'm not sure about PvP, but for mobs/leveling a cap of 150m would suck on lower TL, uncapped spells, ie; it would really hose the low and mid level APU's......
Not to mention, how that's going to effect barrel range.......

It only affects beam spells. And you're right, maybe they could make PSI spell range super easy to cap, so that low-mid level runners cap the spells easy. But as I said, it only affects beam spells.

Originally posted by Heavyporker

I still support the idea of Bloodviper King dropping a poisonlance spell.

Of course, it's your idea. :p

Originally posted by Heavyporker
nasty idea...I prefer the "long haul" of poison. And, really, shelter already defends too well without upping its protection to poison and there's already the antidote stuff.

I meant make shelter defend against it ONLY if it's a 5 second stack instead of 24. Just out of curiousity, why do you prefer the long haul of poison? That simply gives people more time to heal and whatnot.