PDA

View Full Version : [OT] Network-wide Desktop Shortcuts?

Jesterthegreat
27-11-03, 18:29
I need to add 10 icons to every desktop for every user on 65 computers.

is there any way i can use seomthing like Active Directory to add these items to all desktops at once?

i have some knowledge of group policies and such. it will save ALOT of time >.<

ALSO: does anyone have AVG anti-virus 7? cos mine wont find the server to update :p

Jesterthegreat
27-11-03, 19:02
not even any kind of reply?

nonamebrandeggs
27-11-03, 19:05
Stop powerposting/spamming.

Theres your damn reply.

Jesterthegreat
27-11-03, 19:17
well sure it is...but it doesnt really help me O_o

jernau
27-11-03, 19:19
Aside from eggs' response, yeah :

PM me on IRC or MSN tomorrow and I can go over it with you. It's not too difficult though it may also not be the best solution. There are several alternatives depending on platforms and requirements.

Jesterthegreat
27-11-03, 19:23
i got 51 mins to do it - im part way through rushing around. i had 2 hours but it took ages to get any kind of reply :p lol :D

Susan Ivanova
27-11-03, 19:24
I guess you could do this with server based (roaming) profiles. A quick&dirty solution would be to copy those .lnk files to the users' desktops (All Users\Desktop comes to my mind). Of course somebody who knows more about Windows will tell you how to do it. I'd just use smbclient with a script connecting to every computer as admin and then just push those .lnk files to the desktop folders and be done in about 5-10 minutes :)

jernau
27-11-03, 19:28
OK - Quick and dirty guide to method 1) :

AD users and computers
right click an appropriate branch
Properties
Group Policy
New / name it
Edit
User config
Windows settings
Scripts (log on/off)
Logon
Add
Put a VB-script in there to do it

That's from memory so I may have missed smt.

Jesterthegreat
27-11-03, 19:36
and the VB script would be... :rolleyes:

ok so i dont know everything :p

:edit: i know what it is - not what is in it :p

BiTeMe
27-11-03, 19:40
Even easier would be just ceate a logonscript for the icons or a batch file you have to run once. I prefere the logon script but there are more lines of code as you will need to check for each icons presence on user login else you will have duplicates after the intital user logon. A batch file is smaller code and will create the icons but if a user deletes this icon from their desktop there would be no automatic way to recreate it.

Susan Ivanova
27-11-03, 19:44
Originally posted by BiTeMe
A batch file is smaller code and will create the icons but if a user deletes this icon from their desktop there would be no automatic way to recreate it.
That's where the "All Users\Desktop" comes into the game. You can create icons for all users. And an user can't remove it from there because it would also affect all other users. (which would defeat the purpose of an all users' desktop)

jernau
27-11-03, 19:48
Roaming profiles are shitty.

I'm going to the pub now but hassle me tomorrow if you still care then. :)

BiTeMe
27-11-03, 19:50
lol, forgot a user can't modify icons stuffed in the all users profile.
I still like logon scripts as you can also do other stuff (checked maped drives are still mapped, sync the time and even check for known viruses and patch your OS)

I have had limited success with roaming profiles, but I still prefere logon scripts.

Jester, do you already use a script manager on your domain?