PDA

View Full Version : Zipping a file!

Sanch0s
26-11-03, 18:18
What alternate progs are there to zip up files, i use win zip which doesent make the file that much smaller.
Is there anything i can do to get a 2mb files onto a floppy disk? cos i dont want to waste a whole cd tbh- yeah im tight!

Anyone understand valve hammer editor??? I cant seem to get it so i can actually design my map?

TY

jernau
26-11-03, 18:22
You could try winrar or winace.

Some files just won't compress any more though if the standard already includes compression.

nonamebrandeggs
26-11-03, 18:23
winrar > all

StryfeX
26-11-03, 18:33
Originally posted by nonamebrandeggs
winrar > all WinACE (http://www.winace.com/) > nonamebrandeggs :p

--Stryfe

El_MUERkO
26-11-03, 18:43
winrar = the daddy

Jest
26-11-03, 18:55
Hehe I used to use the "pkunzip" command in the ole DOS days. Does that command still work? Doesn't look like it. :(

jernau
26-11-03, 19:15
Originally posted by Jest
Hehe I used to use the "pkunzip" command in the ole DOS days. Does that command still work? Doesn't look like it. :(

Until recently WinZip was just a Windows front end for the DOS proggy. You might still find a command line version in there somewhere.

Original monk
26-11-03, 20:06
winrar, winace and allzip etc (like mentioned above)

but:

winace > all bigtime :P

and if you wonna have a nice easy program to decompress img. and iso files to youre HD or for more of those weird compressiontypes then use isobuster, also a free download and a very usefull program :)

but for the regular ones: winace ffcourse hehe

g0rt
26-11-03, 20:09
ace

rar/zip = sellouts

Archeus
26-11-03, 20:33
JAR is basically zip so you can use it to zip/unzip (Comes with Java)

If you have XP then ZIP is built into explorer I think you just right click and select create archive or something like that.

Kimiko
26-11-03, 21:19
WinRAR 8 - Even opens ISOs.

StryfeX
26-11-03, 22:39
Originally posted by Kimiko
WinRAR 8 - Even opens ISOs. When an archive program starts opening disk images...isn't that a bit much? I mean, I like WinRAR (it's good, but I like WinACE better :p), but it's been getting pretty hefty lately.

--Stryfe

Distaria
27-11-03, 08:41
I like WinAce the best so far, if I need to look into ISOs, I use Daemon Tools.

Kazuko
27-11-03, 09:10
Originally posted by Sanch0s
What alternate progs are there to zip up files, i use win zip which doesent make the file that much smaller.
Is there anything i can do to get a 2mb files onto a floppy disk? cos i dont want to waste a whole cd tbh- yeah im tight!

Anyone understand valve hammer editor??? I cant seem to get it so i can actually design my map?

TY

How about tar -cvf file.tar file;gzip file.tar

Eh? Eh? .... Never mind

Susan Ivanova
27-11-03, 11:43
tar + bzip2 > *

Sorry, had to say that :lol:

jernau
27-11-03, 12:22
I'm a bit confused by all this x>y stuff wrt file compressors.

They all use the same 3 or 4 algorithms so there's practically no difference at all in the output.

They only vary in GUI, shell extensions and bloat. As StyfeX says feature bloat is hardly a good thing so I'm not impressed by a compression tool that also plays avis or gives me the weather in Stockholm.

I guess some people might prefer the "look and feel" of one over another but I can't say any of those mentioned have terrible interfaces.

Susan Ivanova
27-11-03, 12:40
Of course if you need a really high compression rate you should try lzip (http://lzip.sourceforge.net/). Beats any other compression programms with hands down.

jernau
27-11-03, 12:54
Originally posted by Susan Ivanova
Of course if you need a really high compression rate you should try lzip (http://lzip.sourceforge.net/). Beats any other compression programms with hands down.

LOL :lol:

Still funny.