PDA

View Full Version : Anyone on NTL?

garyu69
26-11-03, 14:52
Bah,
Stupid NTL is playing up at the moment.

Two days ago it was re-directing certain pages i visited to another Domain hositing site. On that site it had Text saying that if you were on NTL you would have been re-directed here because NTL know about a problem that they should have fixed. And that i should change ISP.

And last night no bloody web pages were working.

The connection is there because i am still connected and i can still play neocron and download via Bit Torrents.
But its just annoying.

Anyone else having similar problems?

]v[ortice
26-11-03, 14:54
meh net si b0rked too :)

Dunno why. Stoopid NTL :/

Fix it j00 munkehs... it's all KKs fault!!!!!!11111111111

erm heheh :)

\\Fényx//
26-11-03, 14:55
huge DOS attacks on all ISP's yesterday, methinks it was BT that made em as their ISP's wernt effected . . .

Dardalion
26-11-03, 14:57
I did a speed test of my connection last night and it said that my ISP was NTL :eek:

Funny thing is that Im on Virgin.net

BiTeMe
26-11-03, 15:06
This is taken from the NTL server status page dated 25/11/03

DNS - affecting all internet packages
Due to a major server outage, ntl:home internet customers on all packages may currently be experiencing problems with ALL internet access, including web browsing, email, ftp and newsgroups.

Our engineers are currently investigating and hope to resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Please note that due to the nature of this outage our technical support lines are much busier than normal, resulting in long wait times on all lines. If you suspect this issue affects you, please check this page or the ntlworld server status line on 0800 052 4315 for updates

garyu69
26-11-03, 15:06
OMG
H4X

NTL taking over the world?

26-11-03, 15:12
Yeah my NTL was borked from about 5:30 last night through to about 7:30 (and it was still ropey for the rest of the evening) at first I thought it was my gateway server

Apparently there was a massive DOS attack going on

robinitnow
26-11-03, 15:20
you did well it was still mostly wrecked at 12pm last night

Ryuben
26-11-03, 15:24
*shrugs* mine was fine

jernau
26-11-03, 15:44
NTL are full of shit.

I don't know what they broke this time but it wasn't just DNS. I don't even use their DNS servers and I couldn't browse anything. I could run all other apps but not web.

IMO they fecked their transparent proxies AGAIN!!!

They've done it a few times before but never this badly.

The up-side was that with everyone offline DC was pushing the line faster than I'd ever seen before.

At about 2AM my CM lost connection for about half an hour. I think this was them drying the coffee out of whatever they'd poured it into. This also implies it wasn't DNS.

Lying, incompetant, shite-chewers.

garyu69
26-11-03, 15:48
My Bit Torrents were peaking at 72kbps download which was great. I am on 600k connection.

But like you the web wasn't working for shit.

I also forgot to say that everything died about 2am for me, in the middle of me blasting a Warbot.

I couldn't get back on at all and haven't been back on since as i am at work :(
I'm sure i'll log back on and my ass will be dead

Lexxuk
26-11-03, 15:59
from what i read, the cable in the english channel broke somewhere in the water, on the french side, so there have been "some" problems.

BiTeMe
26-11-03, 16:05
more information from ISP Review (http://www.ispreview.co.uk)

Following on from an earlier news item regarding Telewest's service outage; it now appears as if a major DNS/Routing failure between the USA and UK/EU has caused multiple ISPs to suffer connectivity and other service difficulties.

There's currently a lot of speculation regarding the cause, although several ISPs have pointed the finger towards a damaged undersea transatlantic cable. While the main problems have been resolved, many ISPs may continue to feel the after effects.

The TAT-14 (640Gbps) line has been highlighted as a potential source for the problems. Hopefully most ISPs should now be returning to normal operation, although some e-mails and content aspects may still be catching up.

It remains to be seen how the problems occurred in the first place.

jernau
26-11-03, 16:45
Originally posted by Lexxuk
from what i read, the cable in the english channel broke somewhere in the water, on the french side, so there have been "some" problems.

I bet it was those dastardly asylum seekers. 8|

Seriously - Even NTL aren't crap enough to route transatlantic traffic into Europe surely? Why not send it via Borneo while they are at it?

/edit - BiteMe - that's more likely but still doesn't make any sense.

1) I could saturate my line direct to the states no probs
2) UK sites, even those inside NTL's own network, were down
3) NTL have had brown-outs very like this black-out but less serious before which have been traced to incompetence inside their system.

Until I see evidence otherwise (that isn't provably bollox) it all looks like NTL being a bunch of morons to me.

Wilco
28-11-03, 05:27
This might have something to do with the problems:
(it's in german, though you might want to pipe it through babelfish *he he*)
http://www.heise.de/newsticker/data/hob-27.11.03-000/
Regards, Wilco