PDA

View Full Version : [OT] Repartitianing drives

Jesterthegreat
26-11-03, 14:12
i have a laptop at work which has its hardrive partitianed into 3 seperate drives. i have been asked to combine them back into 1 single drive. does anyone know of a good, free program that will do this without wiping the hard disk? The laptop is only running Windows 98 and is reletivly old.

i am hoping to have this job done by midday on Monday the 1st of December.

if anyone has any ideas / suggestions feel free to post. i am in need of software to do this as the way i usually do it is to format and use fdisk.

Thanks in advance

greets

Cypher_Psy
26-11-03, 14:17
For free? erm...

A nice program is Partition magic (but its not free) :p

You might be stuck with backing up the stuff and wiping with fdisk :(

Also, if you do manage it - your other drive letters wont exist anymore, thus programs installed will be asking for you to insert the drive E: for example :D

s0apy
26-11-03, 14:20
2 things i would say.

first is that you should always backup your data before attempting such a thing, particularly with a free program - but you knew that anyway. however, having gone to that trouble, i'd be inclined to fdisk the machine and resinstall from scratch. just a suggestion.

having said that, for a small outlay you can get "partition magic", which is probably the best of such software and the only one i'd use if i was gonna try and do a quick job without the hassle of backing everything up first.

[edit] Cypher_Psy - u b qwikr than me :).

Wannabe
26-11-03, 14:23
Disk management software @ google (http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Software/Disk_Management/Partition/)

That is a directory of partition software on Google. Some of them seem to be freeware so.. better read theirs FAQs and manuals before you attempt anything.

And pls, for the sake of Pete, backup your data before you do anything.

// Wannabe

Jesterthegreat
26-11-03, 14:25
hmm... ill see if i can get partitian magic from a friend then >.<

as for shortcuts / programs excpecting to find files on another disk thats a good point. it may be worth wiping it all and sticking win XP on anyway.

so no one has used and good free programs? bah my plans ruined! :p

well thanks for the replies lads - if anyone else has any dont stop just cos i posted again :D

:edit: i will stick a copy on the network anyways so yeah ill be backing it up

Oath
26-11-03, 14:26
partition...........

your lack of spelling offends me :p

partition magic pwns joo, tis a nice program.

Jesterthegreat
26-11-03, 14:33
lol... then send me it!

im kidding! dont ban me for teh ripped off software!