PDA

View Full Version : Buying generic RAM

Zokk
26-11-03, 02:21
...worth it for the price or shooting myself in the foot?

I hear mixed review about using generic ram; some say that there's barely any difference in quality for a much lower price, and others say that they don't go near the stuff. I know a lot of you guys are pretty computer savvy.

Basically my dilema is that I would like to upgrade to 2 sticks of 512MB, replacing the 2 sticks of 256MB I currently have installed. One stick of brandname 512MB is expensive enough, I could not afford to to buy 2. I found generic sticks of 512B on http://www.boundlesstech.com/detail.asp?product_id=00014 and the price is right (I could get 2 sticks for under $100), but of course, I don't want to spend the money and find out that they are absolute crap.

So help a former NC player out, is generic RAM good, bad? Is it not even worth the risk for the added performance? (This almost entirely for gaming, I do not overclock...)

Thanks,

Zokk

Keyol45743241
26-11-03, 02:28
Bad ram will come to haunt you. Buy Infineon. Or *at least* something that says "infineonchip", but that is already russian roulette.

You don't need fancy kingston with heatsinks in a stylish color - which is basically nothing else than infineon with a ... fancy heatsink glued onto it so you can't see the infineon logo :rolleyes:

This (http://www.memtest86.com) is almost a requirement. Leave it on while you're away for a day or two if you buy cheap ram (and if you buy expensive ram, too, just to make sure) and check for errors.

Ah.. and remember. Nothing is as annoying as bad ram since it can cause all the stupid crashes, bugs and so on where you never find a cause for.

Besides that is SD133 Ram. Are you sure you're not going to upgrade your MoBo/Processor anytime soon?

robinitnow
26-11-03, 09:55
two important things

1. is your pc really stable like you can stand it up of a two weeks

2. make sure this memory is from a good company.

if the above two are correct you will be all right but ushily you just can't tell with generic