PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Installation problem?

t0rqu3
26-11-03, 01:08
I finally got around to getting Windows XP.

Anyway, so I run the set-up and all that... It's great until I get to the part about partitioning... Currently I am running WindowsME (yeah the upgrade will be so welcome), it's on my C drive like most PCs? Then there's the D drive.

So I try to format the C drive, and plan to install WinXP there, and wipe WinME. Well I get an error saying that the partition im trying to format has setup files needed to continue the installation? I'm booting from a CD though, so I don't know why it's saying that.

Anyway I don't want to just upgrade to winxp, and i sure as hell don't want to dual-boot.

How do I fix this error with the setup files?

wun
26-11-03, 01:38
i'm really pedantic when it comes to installing windows...

k.. make sure you've backed up everything you need..emails, documents.. pr0n.. screenshots (i deleted mine last time)..

then i drop into dos mode... and format c drive... then i reboot with the install cd in drive.. it then starts the install...

then you'll probably have to reformat cos you should use ntfs file system instead of fat32 ( i think ME was fat32.. i avoided ME like the plague so i'm just guessin here)

i'm also known to have deleted all partitions and then recreating them to make sure i've nuked everyting... but that's just overkill...

dunno if that helps...