PDA

View Full Version : New Class Idea - Let PEs Decide at Char Creation

g0rt
26-11-03, 00:05
Alot of people have been having fun with H-C / MELEE PE's lately. I have been messing around with one, and others I know as well as others I have seen on the board have also been doing this.

What if when creating a PE you could choose either a dex-based PE, or a str-based PE.

The only difference in a str-based PE would be 80 str and 40 int, instead of 60 and 60. This way, the PE would not be able to wear medium belts...but would make up for this with better armor due to the higher STR. Also, a H-C or MELEE PE could actually be viable without drugs. And we all know a H-C PE wouldn't need much int anyway.

What do you think?

Sheba
26-11-03, 00:09
Go one step further and let us create our characters from scratch?
All those points that they have distributed could be put into a pool so you can raise what skills you want..within class limitations of course! :)
T

Odin
26-11-03, 00:10
Originally posted by Sheba
All those points that they have distributed could be put into a pool so you can make what you want..within class limitations of coruse! :)

Hey just noticed you were back. Welcome back.

g0rt
26-11-03, 00:11
All those points that they have distributed could be put into a pool so you can make what you want..within class limitations of coruse! :)

Well, yea that would be cool but im sure you could make a class thats so uberly amazing that it just pwnz0rs every other class and then 9/10 players would all be using that class. :(

Mirco
You know I have just gone down the same path my self with my PE and I have just been thinking the exact same thing. Perhaps there will be a little trouble with balancing and the tanks wont be to happy for it.

For me I say yesyesyes!!!!!

Sheba
Originally posted by Odin
Hey just noticed you were back. Welcome back.

Nice to see you as well! Lot of new GM names around nice to see a familiar face!

Sheba
26-11-03, 00:14
Originally posted by g0rt
Well, yea that would be cool but im sure you could make a class thats so uberly amazing that it just pwnz0rs every other class and then 9/10 players would all be using that class. :(

Edited that as you answered lol! I am talking about just skills not stats. Unless thats what you were talking about?

g0rt
26-11-03, 00:15
Edited that as you answered lol! I am talking about just skills not stats. Unless thats what you were talking about?

Ahh sorry misunderstood...thought you meant stats :D

Spoon
26-11-03, 00:18
PE's that could wear full Inquisition and Duranium 4, light belts and the special ingredient known as Holy Shelter Boots?
Plus Shelter themselves?

Wouldn't that be a little too much defence?

-edit-

Almost forgot;
And they would also be able to use Resist Booster 2 and Blessed Deflector.......

Sheba
26-11-03, 00:57
Originally posted by Spoon
PE's that could wear full Inquisition and Duranium 4, light belts and the special ingredient known as Holy Shelter Boots?
Plus Shelter themselves?

Wouldn't that be a little too much defence?

-edit-

Almost forgot;
And they would also be able to use Resist Booster 2 and Blessed Deflector.......

I am talking about skills not stats, so unless I am wrong I don't think it would effect the overall character that much. Except making it more customizable. If they just add another option for "custom" for the professions list ...would make it pretty simple eh?

Psycho Killa
26-11-03, 01:05
You can already customize the skill points of your character upon creation if thats what you mean sheba.

Jest
26-11-03, 01:05
I've always thought this would be the perfect idea for PEs. Let the PE choose his/her stat caps but have less overall total stats. For example I believe every class has a total of 300 points in the stats. Let PEs have the choice of playing in its current state or choosing his stats but will less overall. For example only having 250-275 to choose from. And maybe have a natural limit on certain abilities. Like str couldnt go above 80, Psi could go about 60, dex couldnt go above 90, Int couldn't go above 80, and Con couldnt go above 75.

Sheba
26-11-03, 01:39
Originally posted by Psycho Killa
You can already customize the skill points of your character upon creation if thats what you mean sheba.

Oops ...well forget everything I just posted then. lol
Did not think you could remove the pre assigned skill points...

Wallen
26-11-03, 01:44
Yes, you can. (If by skill you mean subskill).

Psycho Killa
26-11-03, 01:52
Its not to late sheba. They have lom pills at medicare that remove 5 points from a subskill but u lose xp.

SorkZmok
26-11-03, 01:52
a pe with 80 str and dex would be the new tank. bad idea.

CkVega
26-11-03, 02:48
I've had an idea similar to this myself.
The way I'd do it is at character creation for a PE you get to chose your primary stat, secondary stat and your weakness; this would determine which stat capped at 80, 65 and 35 respectivly (the other stats would cap at 60).
Lets say for instance: You could make a PE with 80 Str, 65 Psi and 35 Int
or maybe with 80 Psi, 65 Int and 35 Str

The possabilitys would be limitless.

Now, of course why would anyone play any other class than PE if this was the case you might ask. What I think should happen for the other classes would be a bonus dependant on the sub class you chose. For instance: Spy constructor (or whatever the subclass is called) could maybe guarantee at least one slot on a weapon, Tank - field technician (the tank subclass that starts with points in construction) could maybe build items with half the skill requirements (a bit like repairing currently is).
These are just examples, I've not really given these bonuses any real thought, so go easy on me :p

Any thoughts on this?

greploco
26-11-03, 02:53
create chars from scratch, what an interesting idea

there would be a limit on the total number of points but you can apportion them any way you want

that's pretty novel

g0rt
26-11-03, 03:31
Originally posted by SorkZmok
a pe with 80 str and dex would be the new tank. bad idea.

Not true. If so, PE's have been the new spies since this game started O_o

@CKVega - I love that idea...

Lareolan
26-11-03, 04:01
You DO realize that with 80 STR, with the right imps, you could use a CS. And with 40 int as opposed to 20 (for a tank) you could reasonably cap aiming and possibly damage (Something tanks cannot do). So we will have new "uber" CS using class that will kill everything and be unkillable due to superior PPU defences since PEs have considerably more PSI than a tank.

Detritus
26-11-03, 05:01
Originally posted by CkVega
I've had an idea similar to this myself.
The way I'd do it is at character creation for a PE you get to chose your primary stat, secondary stat and your weakness; this would determine which stat capped at 80, 65 and 35 respectivly (the other stats would cap at 60).
Lets say for instance: You could make a PE with 80 Str, 65 Psi and 35 Int
or maybe with 80 Psi, 65 Int and 35 Str

nice idea, but there's a flaw

eg imagine a int 60 str 35 con 60 dex 80 psi 65 PE

wearing full set of spirit armor, using blessed heal/shelter, holy deflector, casts antidote,
resurrects
able to give himself combat 2 buffs and wielding a rog, pe (or bs, libby if you prefer)
has 25 pts less under con to distribute, but who cares ... he can wear far better armor and
use far better spells
who needs the crappy tank armor when there's really nice psi armor and more than
enough str for resist force :)

lil bit unbalancing i think

but basically a nice idea ...

g0rt
26-11-03, 05:19
Originally posted by Lareolan
You DO realize that with 80 STR, with the right imps, you could use a CS. And with 40 int as opposed to 20 (for a tank) you could reasonably cap aiming and possibly damage (Something tanks cannot do). So we will have new "uber" CS using class that will kill everything and be unkillable due to superior PPU defences since PEs have considerably more PSI than a tank.

With 20 less str and no PA you aint capping freq on that cs...and in my opinion frequency makes a cs good.

The primary weapons for thsi kind of PE would probably be the new upcoming flamethrower and plasma wave, since they are both lower TL rares

greploco
26-11-03, 05:48
I've thought bout this a bit

part of the arrangement now which works really well is that cookie-cutter setups are not totally prevalent.

yes, the liberator PE is good, but you know -- there are still tech pistol users and low tech rifle and tech rifle

that varience is the hallmark of good balance

if you made soem of the alterations here you could have a char so uber that it would become "the solution" and would take over a bit

that's no good I think

but there is the kernel of several good ideas here

KramerTheWeird
26-11-03, 08:43
A PE can achieve 81 STR right now. This would be a bad idea to let them have more Strength focus, as we would be like a tank with better PSI and Aiming.

g0rt
26-11-03, 08:55
Originally posted by KramerTheWeird
A PE can achieve 81 STR right now. This would be a bad idea to let them have more Strength focus, as we would be like a tank with better PSI and Aiming.

But PE is supposed to be jack of all trades. Hes not. Hes jack of the pistol and rifle trades. And hes jack shit of the melee and heavy trades.

:\

SorkZmok
26-11-03, 08:58
Not true. If so, PE's have been the new spies since this game started O_o
The dex reqs for the high end rifles are higher than the str reqs for the high end cannons.

Im abled to kill tanks and pes with my spy in close combat. But still spies areot PEs cause PEs cant use the high end dex guns without either being damn easy to kill or having shit stats on that guns. And spies are dead in close combat....

Tanks and PEs and str thats a total other thing....With 80 str PEs could use a CS quite easily with way more runspeed (WAY MORE) than any tank. They might not cap dmg and freq but theyve got great resists to make up for that.

BAD IDEA.

/edit

But PE is supposed to be jack of all trades. Hes not. Hes jack of the pistol and rifle trades. And hes jack shit of the melee and heavy trades
Wrong. Ppl just dont try it.

g0rt
26-11-03, 09:04
Wrong. Ppl just dont try it.

Wrong. I did try it. Worthless. I had to drug to even get a DECENT weapon, and that DECENT weapon didn't do much of anything.

The dex reqs for the high end rifles are higher than the str reqs for the high end cannons.

Nay. 105/107/110/115 go the HC rare weapons. Nothing lower then 105, yet all the way up to 115. Thats high TL brotha!

Lets look at the TLs of viable RIFLE rare weapons:

93/98/105/110/111/114/115

Theres just more. Not any higher. Hell the tl98 one is just as good as the TL115 one for dueling with.

0wned

Anyway sorry but a TL98 ray of god is teh pwn for pvp and the tl84 TPC which you gotta drug for to even use on a PE lol is shit for pvp and PEs are supposed to rox at everything but just not as hard as the real classes...well they dont rox at HC they sux at it

L0KI
26-11-03, 09:43
Unless they do something similar for all classes, its not rly fair.

However, i play a Pistol PE (Rabbi Fang) and a Melee PE (SiFu YaNG).

The Melee PE is tolerable as i use Vein ripper, with enough MC to cap it completely, still having plenty of HC left for gunning vehicles.

But yeah, perhaps let all classes drop one skill (cons, int, str, psi dex) to increase another.

Would be great for tanks wanting to wear all PA's too.
And of course, monks wanting to give up heavy belts for that extra psi ...

oh, and @ g0rt, melee PE is more than viable. Try using a dmg capped vein ripper, get some decent as fuck resists, and a 5 slot dmg boost (Pure PSI USE in INT). Casnt dmg boost on opponents and hack them to pieces. Works every time for me :)

LVirus
26-11-03, 10:26
How about letting people assing 300 points for skills? Someone would do 100 str 100 dex 100 con then ? :P

Anyway, how about that all classes can subtract 5 levels from their primary skill (PE's 1 from all skills) and then assing those points. Naturally not over 100 is allowed but still as a spy, taking 5 points from INT to psi is tempting :) (As a PvP'er ones)

KramerTheWeird
26-11-03, 11:00
I was h-c PE for almost a month. The main reason I did it was so I could use a heavy assault scorpion trike. Here were my stats I remember off hand:

STR 81
H-C 146 (+11 imp, +5 with hc1)
FOR 31 (+16, +15 basic3)
TRA 63 (+??)

DEX 77
75 T-C (+0)
73 VHC (+0)
97 AGI (-6 with imp, +3 spy1)
75 REP (+15 with Machina, +5 with support1)
35 RCL (+3 cst1)

INT 54
110 WEP (+10 imp)
80 HCK (+0)

CON 70
I don't remember con resists but I only had like 45 ATL, and 78 HLT.

I capped Tangent Speed Gun's Damage, had 305/min and 191% aiming. I could use the first STR drug (+3) to use TPC, 5 slots ultimated. I had 144% damage and ridiculous RoF and fairly low aiming. I tried a flamethrower and that wasn't good either.

Tangent Speedgun is really the only choice we have at this point for h-c. I've won a good amount of duels with one however usually the better CS tanks, some tanks I could beat using pistols or rifles, beat me. In OP wars I felt like a gimp, even using the scorp trike.

It IS possible, however compared to other PE's, there are more limited uses you can have with one and not be able to adapt with situations as well.