PDA

View Full Version : Help!

james_finn
25-11-03, 23:16
Can anyone help me please?

I have just bought a new PC, but bought it without some components which I have installed myself, but now none of my games will work, including neocron. As soon as I come in game the PC reboots itself. I have the latest Nvidia Drivers and also direct x 9.0b. My specs are:

Asus A7N8X-X Motherboard
Athlon XP 2800+
512 DDR 3200 RAM
120 GB IBM HDD
GeForce FX 5200 (Made by sparkle)

Any help you guys can give me would be much appreciated.
Also, the machine came with a Asrock motherboard with which we had the same problem, believed that to be the problem, and took it back, they installed a new M/B for us, but it doesnt seem to have made a difference.

Please help!

Delphi

Lexxuk
25-11-03, 23:24
power supply! probably.

Mirco
25-11-03, 23:27
Hey man I got the A7N8X Deluxe version and the same cpu as you and I had the same freakin problem. It would crash all the time. I tested powersupply and memory, but that wasnt my problem.

My problem was the northbridge over-heating. Here is a tip for you. Try putting a vacuum cleaner close to the north-bridge cooling rib to suck the air through it good. Remember that you must be a bit carefull where with this as a vacuum cleaner is a electric device and I dont take responsibility for any damage occuring to your comp cause of it.
Now try your games or 3dmark or something like that and see if it works. When I did this my comp worked perfectly and I had to buy a new cabinet and some good fans and its been working good ever since. If you got an old cabinet with bad cooling there is a very good chance this is your problem

james_finn
25-11-03, 23:44
ok, well two problems with that idea :)
1. I have used two different motherboards, an asrock and the asus and have had the same probelm with them both.
and
2. Its a brand new case (zorro "Eye-T") and has a blow hole fan on the side and 2 at the rear with one at the front. According to the internal sensors its running at 30 degrees, with the processor at around 45-50 degrees.

OK, any more ideas, im beginning to think my graphics card is buggered but pls people I need ur help!

Delphi

Krll
25-11-03, 23:56
Windows XP right?

Something is making XP do a Blue Screen of Death (BSoD) I think, and XP's usual response is to reboot the machine.

Go to start menu, right click on my computer and select properties. Go to the advanced tab, then the settings button for "Startup and recovery". Untick the "Automatically restart" option and click ok.

Your computer won't restart anymore, but you'll get a nice big BSoD instead meaning that you'll just have to restart the computer yourself. I don't know if the BSoD might have some info that might point to the cause of the problem.

If it's only when you try and play games, have you tried a different graphics card yet? Or have you tried reinstalling the drivers? Just some random ideas.

-Krll

james_finn
26-11-03, 00:01
OK, Im a bout to try that, I have XP Home ed. and havent been able to try another graphics card as I am a student and cant afford to buy a new one if i dont need too, ok, well lets see if neocron will play, or will i get a BSoD? LOL, soon find out

Urm it has crashed in windows a couple of times, and everytime I was on broadband (at my uncles) I was able to send off the report to microsoft. It said that the CPU had shutdown with a major fault, so is it likely that my CPU is buggered?

Cheers for your help :)

Delphi

Krll
26-11-03, 00:05
Originally posted by james_finn
OK, Im a bout to try that, I have XP Home ed. and havent been able to try another graphics card as I am a student and cant afford to buy a new one if i dont need too, ok, well lets see if neocron will play, or will i get a BSoD? LOL, soon find out

Urm it has crashed in windows a couple of times, and everytime I was on broadband (at my uncles) I was able to send off the report to microsoft. It said that the CPU had shutdown with a major fault, so is it likely that my CPU is buggered?

Cheers for your help :)

What you need now is a good friend with a similar PC to yours. :)

You try swapping parts with him until you find the faulty one. I'd personally say start with the graphics card, then move on to memory and CPU. You've tried changing the mobo already, so you know it's no that.

-Krll

ElfinLord
26-11-03, 00:36
What brand of RAM are you using?

Asus has a QVL for PC3200 RAM. If you are not using one of the brands of RAM listed it is possible to have errors using it. Asus boards, in my experience, are very picky about compatability.

Here (http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=A7N8X-X&langs=09) is a link to the specs page for the board you have. Scroll to the bottom of the page to see the QVL.

I would check RAM first or the video card.

james_finn
26-11-03, 00:38
OK, well i disabled, the auto restart, and got no BSoD, I have the microsoft online crash analysis, does anyone know about this stuff?

A hardware failure reported by your Central Processing Unit (CPU)

This behavior occurs because your computer processor detected an unrecoverable hardware error and reported it to Windows. For more information, contact the manufacturer of your computer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Additional Technical Information

Error Message: STOP: 0x0000009C (0x00000004, 0x00000000, 0xb2000000, 0x00020151)

Also I keep hearing something in my PC shut off and restart every now and then, but I cannot stay in a game for more than 3 mins of gameplay, before a complete system reboot! Help me pls, as the company who built it have no idea :S

Delphi

Krll
26-11-03, 00:43
Originally posted by james_finn
Also I keep hearing something in my PC shut off and restart every now and then, but I cannot stay in a game for more than 3 mins of gameplay, before a complete system reboot! Help me pls, as the company who built it have no idea :S

Tell them to do what I recommended. Swap parts until you find the faulty one. No offence, but they're not a very good company if they hadn't thought of trying that.

-Krll

james_finn
26-11-03, 00:43
OK, as to the RAM, I have no-idea about what the RAM is. Due to the fact that it was made at a computer show by a very small company. (Is there a way to find out?)

I dont have another graphics card to chnage and try unfortunatly, But the card has been used in a previous PC without any problem s.

All your help is greatly appreciated

Delphi

james_finn
26-11-03, 00:48
Well it has been back to the company and they have replaced the motherboard, due to us telling them that we thought that it was the mb, coz both me and my uncle are getting the same problems, basically the same machine but his has 1.5 GB RAM, and also has a GeForce MX 440 gfx card. We both experience the same problems (although his is yet to return from the shop....)

OK, we are about to try to swap my memory for my mates crucial and c if that makes a difference, if not we will try to swap the gfx card.

Cheers

Delphi

wun
26-11-03, 01:01
what Krll said...

if this small company is serious about being in the market for the long haul and serious about your business (and if they do right by you, probably your recurring business, and word of mouth is some of the best advertising) then they'll do the right thing, take your machine and test it by swapping parts 'till they find the faulty component...

not you buying parts for them to swap.. but swap components they have on hand... and then tell you for e.g. "you gfx card is faulty" or whatever... if you bought the card from them.. they should give you a new one..

if not then go back where to where u got the card from... they should give you a new one...
if they don't, contact the manufacturer or their representative in your country...
(at this stage i would be raising hell for that shop asking for their distribution rights to be withdrawn, but then again i'm an asshole when it comes to my service being sub par :D )

EDIT: LOL your uncle has 1.5gb of ram.. but bought a MX gfx card?? 8| talk about bottle neck... anything nvidia MX should be avoided..specially if he's got enough money....

james_finn
26-11-03, 01:39
OK, well heres the update:

1. Changed the RAM from crappy generic shit given by company to Crucial, lent by very nice friend.

NO CHANGE

2. Changed FX 5200 to a Asus Ti-4200 8X

NO CHANGE

still having problems, now I have changed everything except CPU and PSU. Dont wanna play wit them coz I'll loose me warrenty on the machine. They will be recieving a phone call from me tomorrow.

Thanks all for help, if you think of n e thing else pls post

Delphi

Edit: Will keep you all informed :) Wish me luck :)

NeoLojik
26-11-03, 02:39
Had exactly the same problem on one of my PC's here.

Drop back a few nVidia GeForce driver revisions

Anything newer than 44.xx reboots the pc. Dropped back to 41.32 and all was good again :)

james_finn
27-11-03, 01:48
OK, well heres the low down,

I tried the older drivers from sparkle (my gfx card manufacturer) no joy. I left my pc in windows all evening and I logged at least one shut down, but if i go into any graphics intensive apps then the pc will reboot. I dont know what more to try, as I have narrowed it down to The CPU or the PSU, but the company I bought it from arent open for another couple of days.

Please help me, I wanna play nc

Delphi

REMUS
27-11-03, 02:09
didnt read what everyone else said cuz im too tired but i reckon that your cpu isnt seated properly or the heat sink isnt fitted right. Either that or its shorting out on moisture on the socket :wtf:

i would wait + take it into a tech to look it over dude

james_finn
27-11-03, 02:31
OK, well I had come to the conclusion that its the CPU, and will be contacting the company when they are back tomorrow (rather today!) LOL! OK, well I'm gunna give up for tonite, but anymore input would be appreciated, coz I wanna get back to playing Neocron!

Delphi