PDA

View Full Version : Cyberpunk authors

Jest
25-11-03, 00:57
Ok I'm trying to compile a list of stuff I want for Christmas and I'd like to add a few books to the list. Specifically Gibson or Gibson-like authors. I've already read Idoru and am almost finished with Neuromancer. I've also recently started to read the MirrorShades which is very cool. ;)

Can any one recommend any similiar books that YOU personally liked?

Cruzbroker
25-11-03, 01:01
I don't know about those or anykind, but Neil Gaiman r0x :D

Furion
25-11-03, 01:13
Halo: Fall of reach (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0345451325/102-0724857-1259360?v=glance)

ok, i know its not cyberpunk, but man! its halo!!!!

retr0n
25-11-03, 01:14
shakespear is teh uber cyberpunk author :D

ezza
25-11-03, 01:28
Originally posted by Jest
Ok I'm trying to compile a list of stuff I want for Christmas and I'd like to add a few books to the list. Specifically Gibson or Gibson-like authors. I've already read Idoru and am almost finished with Neuromancer. I've also recently started to read the MirrorShades which is very cool. ;)

Can any one recommend any similiar books that YOU personally liked?

if you have read neuromancer then read the other two books from that series Count Zero and the Mona Lisa Overdrive.

also Snowcrash is cool book with the Samurai Pizza Delivery free lance hacker guy called Hiro as the main char;)

Jest
25-11-03, 01:39
Originally posted by ezza
if you have read neuromancer then read the other two books from that series Count Zero and the Mona Lisa Overdrive.

also Snowcrash is cool book with the Samurai Pizza Delivery free lance hacker guy called Hiro as the main char;) Oh yah Snowcrash, forgot about that one. A couple friends of mine have been trying to get me to read that book for ages. Also I couldn't remember which two books were the continuation of the series so I will have to check those two out as well.

I guess I am mainly looking for other authors that write well other than Gibson. I know he writes good stuff and I can read it till he's got nothing left but I'd like to expand my interests to other than one author. :p

What about that Neil Gaiman guy? I read a review of his book American Gods and it looks fairly interesting. Cruz whats your favorite book he wrote and whats good about it?

F I think if I tried to read a Halo book I'd just get in a Halo mood and go and play Halo. hehe. Plus while a book like that is most definitely entertaining, I guess my main goal in reading is to be challenged, which is what book's like Gibsons do.

Marx
25-11-03, 01:42
Forget cyberpunk, go post-apoc (http://www.pamedia.com/books/).

EDIT - Actually, check out William C. Dietz.

One book in particular "Bodyguard". You read it, and you'd swear it either used neocron as idea material or vice versa.

Some of his other work, based on a revamped Foreign Legion is also cool, but very military.

All very good reading.

Jac Raven
25-11-03, 12:56
Jon Courtney Grimwood

he has a few good novels inlcuindg
Red Robe
Remix (<- that one comes b4 redrobe, but red robe is better)
the arabesk series.

its not cyber punk, but i will always recommend phillip k dick, cause his stuff is amazing, best are scanner darkly (read this u wont take drungs) and do andriods dream of electric sheep, but he has loads of other superb books.

Also Gibson has a new book called Pattern Recognition out - anyone know if its any good?

Torteth
25-11-03, 14:56
I've read all the Gibson books I could get my hands on over the years.
If you're into Cyberpunk, check out ShadowRun... Sure its not PURE cyberpunk, but it has all the elements and is a bit newer (makeing it more believable) than Gibson's work...

Exile
25-11-03, 15:22
Daniel Keys Moran had a good series of books (Emerald Eyes, The Long Run) you should check out.

Also another author from way back in the 80s is W. T. Quick ... Dreams of Flesh and Sand.

A couple of others: Bruce Sterling, Pat Cadigan.

There is alot of good Cyberpunk out there ... some of it's just hard to find. ;)

xkorpio
25-11-03, 15:29
Bruce Sterling is a good cyberpunk writer (W. Gibson and him have some short stories)

Philip K. Dick have good stuff too

notneo
25-11-03, 16:41
cyberpunk check out william gibson the inventor of the term "cyberspace" in his seminal novel"nueromancer" its got hackers ,street samurai and psi .
also check out by the same auther

count zero
burning chrome
mona lisa overdrive
all tommorows parties
idoru

his latest book pattern recognition is goood but sadly set in the modern day

Marx
25-11-03, 16:43
WYRM (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=2ZCABJ1JOP&isbn=0553578081&itm=6)

Interesting read - It has furries!

Parker
25-11-03, 16:52
Richard Morgan has two *fantastic books* - Altered Carbon & Fallen Angels.

Both are cyber punk & also very violent (but also well done & well written)

I highly recommend.

(currently reading "My Destination the Stars" by ummm can't remember - but it's pretty old yet really anticipates the entire cyber punk movement - and so far is very good)

JP.

ZoneVortex
25-11-03, 17:00
Ahhhhh Philip K. Dick. NOW. GO!

My favorite cyberpunk author hands down yo.

Jac Raven
25-11-03, 19:24
alfred bester wrote the stars destination book. i haven read it but i want too.

anyone read stand on zanzibar? another one i want to get.
in fact the whole of the Sf masterworks series seems really good, and if you look on amazon often they do thme so if u buy 2 (that they suggest) u get them cheaper.

good but time consuming is alastiar reynolds books, called redemption ark and some others.

Parker
25-11-03, 19:42
That's right. Actually I don't read much Sci Fi - but the Stars my Destination has always caught my eye because of the odd cover illustration. Anyway - so far I highly recommend it, it's not what I expected at all...

JP

Jac Raven
25-11-03, 19:44
Read more - there are some fantastic books out there, they just dont generally get the respect they desevere cause they arnt real or something

Jest
25-11-03, 19:48
Sweet I will definitely check out some of the authors mentioned. I can't believe I didn't think of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep since BladeRunner is one of my favorite movies of all time.

Jac Raven
25-11-03, 19:55
its a damn good book, just be prepared its not identical to the flim, in many ways it differs excpet he has to kill the andriods.