PDA

View Full Version : How does one Become a GM

Darth Slayer
24-11-03, 20:24
So I've been playing this game now almost a year and I'm wondering how to put something back into this game I've enjoyed for the most part so much.
SO who do I have to get in touch with in regarding to becoming a GM ? What sort of qualifications or experience are they looking for ?
Please no flames.

L0KI
24-11-03, 20:28
I believe they are generally looking for people with the ability to speak German and English fluently.

And probably someone who doesnt make childish poems about people on ingame forums

Promethius
24-11-03, 20:30
Well I'm sure you have to be 18+ to become a GM. I heard this before.

Sanch0s
24-11-03, 20:39
Yeah it probally would be fun but im sure the feeling would soon wear off, after being insulted ect, but i suppose they probally do need more gms like whenever u need one theres never one on!
And i bet after agreeing to GMship that u will have to agree not to spawn ur self 5 slot cs's and dim spitters :(
Imagine all that power and knowing that if u do it ull loose it!

FuzzyDuck
24-11-03, 20:42
I think that being a full GM requires you to be employed by KK. You can do volunteer work, but this (I think) does not give you full access to the Neocron admin options etc. I've applied for becoming a faction minister dude (still no response yet :mad:) and that would allow me to put something back into the game, but, no dice :(.

Rith
24-11-03, 20:45
Originally posted by Sanch0s
And i bet after agreeing to GMship that u will have to agree not to spawn ur self 5 slot cs's and dim spitters :(
Imagine all that power and knowing that if u do it ull loose it!

I thought that was a mandatory criteria? 5 slot CS's and overcapping for all your mates? :angel:

Houser
24-11-03, 20:48
[ edited for violation of the forum rules - edit my edit again you will receive a ban ]

{MD}GeistDamnit
24-11-03, 20:54
you gotta be a fanboy. and you gotta kiss ass here on the forums and not ever get 1 warning or edited post or any of that shit.

oh and being the leader of a huge clan dosent hurt either :rolleyes:

Gotterdammerung
24-11-03, 20:55
Please keep the thread on topic and can it with the "OMG GM Hax0Rz" talk. Add something productive or else please refrain.

Penzius
24-11-03, 21:10
I'm gonna put rest to some myths here before you go on about this.

Fact: You do need to be 18.
Fact: You do not need to be fluent in German to join the team.
Fact: Becoming a gamemaster does not automatically give you to the power to spawn or skill.
Fact: I was not the leader of any clan of any worth, and you probably wouldn't recognise my player character if you lived and breathed the server I play on.
Fact: We do not even carry artifact weapons, even with godmode, because we risk polluting the item pool if we drop them.
Fact: As Nidhogg relishes in telling me, on every opportunity he gets, I have a couple of edited posts on my wrapsheet.
Fact: GM'ing is a volunteer position right across the board, several former GM's have been offered paying positions at Reakktor, but if you're thinking of doing this for money, look elsewhere.
Fact: I don't get insulted for what I do or have done half as much as I get praise, and that makes it all worth it.

If you are interested in becoming a GM, you should take these facts and think hard about it.

We are NOT here to spawn items, skill our friends and create havok. If you want to do that - you'll be off the team in about five minutes, your items removed and those players banned.

We ARE here to provide support and content to the playerbase and to work for them and not ourselves.

If you are aware of that and you still want to become a GM, you are welcome to apply. I have no idea if we're taking on any GM's at the moment, and it's not my job to recruit - so I'll try and tag someone who can tell you more about the application process.

Dribble Joy
24-11-03, 21:16
How does the system work for Faction Councillors? Or FAc council Assistants.

Although I do have 25 hrs of lectures a week, I do still have quite a bit of free time.

How much time is required by the two positions?
Though I fear that becoming CM fac councillor would bring me a lot of shit from some saturn peeps :p

REMUS
24-11-03, 21:16
so who do we contact ive been toying with the idea for a while

Penzius
24-11-03, 21:35
Bear with me, the two guys I need to talk to about GM and FC applications both seem to be away atm - I'll ask them to come talk to you when I catch up with them :)

Syntax-Error
24-11-03, 21:49
Well i can fill in something there penz mate.

To become an FC is a little like a GM.

1) again you have to be 18+
2) You have no ability to spawn items or skill players (atall)
3) You do not need to be fluent in German to join the team. however it will effect the servers you work on. and jobs available.
4) They do not carry artifact weapons, even with godmode, because we risk polluting the item pool if we drop them.
5) FC'ing is a volunteer position right across the board.
6) Oh and dont expect to enjoy it 24/7 the community give the FCs alot of shit. so if your looking to apply be ready to ignore the assholes.

To become a FCA:

You can talk to your FC about applying. however the job gives NO extra rights ATALL. and the decision is down to the indevidual FCs.
FCAs get access to talk to the FCs and provide a link between community and FCs.

Hope i covered enough

Dribble Joy
24-11-03, 21:54
Dammit, to be a FCA, I need a FC.... which CM don't have... arse.

Syntax-Error
24-11-03, 21:56
Err... i think you do now.

Dribble Joy
24-11-03, 21:56
Whom may I ask?

Syntax-Error
24-11-03, 22:00
Ye its Vincent Starck

Tratos
24-11-03, 22:07
is there an age restriction on the FCA position?

also do they get *modified* lvls like FCs?

~T

Dribble Joy
24-11-03, 22:08
Originally posted by Syntax-Error
however the job gives NO extra rights ATALL.

Syn was the FCA for FA on pluto for a bit. ne?

Syntax-Error
24-11-03, 22:14
No. FCA get NO changes ATALL

and as far as i know there are NO resistriction on the FCA position. its chosen by the FC. so its upto them.

Oh and i still am the FCA

Dribble Joy
24-11-03, 22:15
Do you have to leave your clan to be a FCA?

Syntax-Error
24-11-03, 22:29
Nope. tho some may ask you too join there clan. so.. its again down to the FC.

Ka0s^
24-11-03, 22:53
i know who the person is to apply to. However im not going to say unless its OKd by a GM incase its a private email. My last application was not successful as there was no available GM positions :)

{MD}GeistDamnit
24-11-03, 22:58
I doubt there will even be a need for gm's till doy. I would be one now till doy if I could, just for the simple fact there is nothing to do but gank ppl and even that get's boring.I keep my account for 2 reasons. one my friends, and two cause I'm loyal to kk for the game that I once loved.

and come to think of it, I remember a few times I saw a GM with a rare, on retail.

Dont Mess
24-11-03, 23:21
does nidhogg or danae speak german

Nidhogg
24-11-03, 23:22
Originally posted by Dont Mess
does nidhogg or danae speak german Nein.

/edit - I've got a German language course on the go atm though.

N

{MD}GeistDamnit
24-11-03, 23:23

nid does I think, Dane hmm the cute girl who loves the camera right ? maybe but I thought she was from USA :p

edit: oh nid u dont?

Syntax-Error
24-11-03, 23:24
i dont think they do.. but meh then again..

ANd yes some time ago GM used to have MUCH diffrent rules but they were recently Updated with MUCH stricter rules.

Richard Adregen
24-11-03, 23:27
I suppose the reqs to be a mod also limit you to 18 years or older? Damn... I thought I could actually help out or something for a change but NOOO! :(

RA.

J. Folsom
24-11-03, 23:31
Personally, assuming you actually becoming a GM, you'd probably be amazed at how much of a pain the job is. :P

Lots of work, no thanks from the players, and complains if you don't have time to react in 5 minutes.
Of course, might be that bad as a NC GM, but that's based on previous experience I've had GMing in other games, which has actually given me a life-long fear of becoming a GM again.

Sanch0s
24-11-03, 23:33
Damm ich bin ein duetsches meister!!!
:( ich bin 15 jahre alt ............. schadde!

Dribble Joy
24-11-03, 23:34
J'habit dans un ploubelle (sp?)

Richard Adregen
24-11-03, 23:34
Originally posted by J. Folsom
Personally, assuming you actually becoming a GM, you'd probably be amazed at how much of a pain the job is. :P

Lots of work, no thanks from the players, and complains if you don't have time to react in 5 minutes.
Of course, might be that bad as a NC GM, but that's based on previous experience I've had GMing in other games, which has actually given me a life-long fear of becoming a GM again.

My experience at being a GM on other games was usually pretty good actually... Usually got a lot of happy players... there's always the odd rotten apple though, of course ;)

RA.

NeoChick
24-11-03, 23:38
I have been thinking of being a GM too because I guess I am here for the longer term (and speak German and English) and am a lot older than 18 :( but I was wondering if as a GM you have to use your char or have to create another char? Because if you can have 'godmode' etc it would spoil the game for me on my main char because I would not feel a sense of achievement if I was able to turn on 'godmode' every now and again.

{MD}GeistDamnit
24-11-03, 23:40
"Damm ich bin ein duetsches meister!!!
ich bin 15 jahre alt ............. schadde!"

damn i am a dutch master!!!
i am 15 years old ........ shit! . am I close ?

that's just from looking at it for a min O_o

Edit: you know, I knew he said duetsch not dutch, but I just had to say "I am a dutch master" ask for one at your local store and see what you get ;)

Dribble Joy
24-11-03, 23:40
AFAIK, you cannot be on the same server as your main char or share the same name.

J. Folsom
24-11-03, 23:42
Originally posted by {MD}GeistDamnit
"Damm ich bin ein duetsches meister!!!
ich bin 15 jahre alt ............. schadde!"

damn i am a dutch master!!!
i am 15 years old ........ shit! . am I close ?

that's just from looking at it for a min O_o Deutch is German, not Dutch. ;p
Apart from that, perfect translation.

[i]Originally posted by Richard Adregen

My experience at being a GM on other games was usually pretty good actually... Usually got a lot of happy players... there's always the odd rotten apple though, of course

RA.

Well, I must admit I was a GM in a game mostly populated by jerks, so I suppose that's part of it, still, I'll stay away from being a GM for the coming time...

Tratos
24-11-03, 23:46
Originally posted by Richard Adregen
I suppose the reqs to be a mod also limit you to 18 years or older? Damn... I thought I could actually help out or something for a change but NOOO! :(

RA.

id love to be a mod but im only 15

WHHAA WHAAA lol :(

~T

Penzius
25-11-03, 00:25
Originally posted by NeoChick
I have been thinking of being a GM too because I guess I am here for the longer term (and speak German and English) and am a lot older than 18 :( but I was wondering if as a GM you have to use your char or have to create another char? Because if you can have 'godmode' etc it would spoil the game for me on my main char because I would not feel a sense of achievement if I was able to turn on 'godmode' every now and again.

You would be assigned a new account which is tagged to allow you to use the GM commands - you would keep your private account separate.

I'm afraid I've not had the best of luck contacting the people who can tell you more - with any luck they'll be about a bit more tomorrow - sit tight :)

Ka0s^
25-11-03, 00:56
pen, ill post the email for info if u like? Although it is a GMs work email? not sure if they would appreciate a sudden flood of applications ;)

Penzius
25-11-03, 01:07
best to leave it til I know we're looking for applicants atm - I'll get back to you guys

Preshock
25-11-03, 01:37
Penz, you can be such the n00b :P

I did a bit of hunting and found this out:

gmjobs@neocron.com (carbonite is going to kill me for posting that)

Please remember you will be tested, again and again, then we will take a kidney and keep it in safe storage, if you do anything wrong MJS gets to sell it on the black market.

You have been warned, and please don't spam that e-mail address if you're not REALLY serious about joining the team.

i mean REALLY Serious.

Even more serious than what you're currently thinking is serious...

more than that...

ok about that much.

Yours
Preshock.

Kimiko
25-11-03, 01:40
Would be of great help, Pen :)

I asked the PP FC about it, and she gave me the email gmjobs@neocron.com, said she got that off a GM "In the know"

Preshock
25-11-03, 01:41
KOS i posted that before you!

:P

Jest
25-11-03, 01:44
I was thinking about applying to be a GM but it sucks that you can't be one on your own server. Pft. Like I want to help people on Uranus or Saturn.

Plus I'd rather be on the NEMA staff if those whores get around to sending me more info besides "your accepted." :(

Kimiko
25-11-03, 01:54
Damn you Pre :p

Anyway. You have mail!

(You = gmjobs@blah..)

Darth Slayer
25-11-03, 02:02
Thanks for all the constructive posts and even a few of the nonconsructive ones......:D
I'll certainly give that email address a go and yes Preshock I am that serious.....:)

Zanathos
25-11-03, 05:05
I would love to become a Game Master.

Unfortunate part is that I will no longer be a paying customer of this game on December 11th, 2003. As I no longer have the funds to support the game.

BTW, IM NOT LEAVING YET! I just dont have the money.

You need an account to be a GM dont you?

Sorin
25-11-03, 05:09
Originally posted by Zanathos
You need an account to be a GM dont you?

Good question. Could someone actually in the know please clarify that? Specifically, I mean if you stop your private account at some point after you become a GM, do you get axed? Also, if you've already canceled a private account, does this disclude you from being able to apply?

Penzius
25-11-03, 12:08
You are given a new account to GM with, so theoretically this isn't a problem.

However, the application is judged by all of the current team - so there is no right or wrong really - just depends on how you present yourselves to us in your application. Good luck.

Jesterthegreat
25-11-03, 12:17
last time a thread like this came up it was jobs@neocron.com... and carb posted that himself lol

Zanathos
25-11-03, 12:46
Hmm.... So do I just email them? Theres no questionaire or anything?(I assume there will be one later then)

Penzius
25-11-03, 12:51
Just drop an email expressing your interest in applying and they will send you an application form.

Syntax-Error
25-11-03, 13:41
Aye and be warned.. that forms a tricky flucker :P

Just remember. the other GMs decide if u get in or not. so if ure hated by any of them (like iam :P) then u better make sure its a DAMN good application :D

Good luck all.

Dr. Laura Snyder
25-11-03, 13:46
Originally posted by Syntax-Error
FCAs get access to talk to the FCs and provide a link between community and FCs.

You don't need to be FCA to be able to contact us, just we work close with the FCAs.

For more info on the FC Project check this thread. (http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?threadid=58227&perpage=15&pagenumber=1)
If you can't find the answers to your questions there you can always PM me, I'll be happy to answer them.

LS

Maarten
25-11-03, 14:08
Is there any minimum on the time you must be online when you are a GM?

And Penzius, can you confirm that you are not allowed to be a GM on your primary server? And if it's true, how do they check that anyway?

Danae
25-11-03, 19:38

The following is the only german I know, taught to me by the great Snowcrash:

"Ich liebe dich. Du bist sexy. Gute nacht."

But, I'm not a GM. :p I work for Reakktor.

I only speak English.

Preshock
25-11-03, 19:43
I only speak English too, as well as most of the English mods and most of the English GM's....

however the Germans are a clever bunch and most of them have mastered many lanuages from English to Japanese to outer-mongolian.

Odin
25-11-03, 19:45
I only speak english (and bad english at that) so no I don't think that we have a german requirement :)

Preshock
25-11-03, 19:45
Argh my posts are being surrounded by KK..... i didn't do it.... honestly....

*looks shifty*

Carbonite
25-11-03, 20:15
Originally posted by Jesterthegreat
last time a thread like this came up it was jobs@neocron.com... and carb posted that himself lol

So thats why there are no mails in the inbox :p
well all i can say is DOH (but do point me to where i said that)
and its Gmjobs@neocron.com i will be going through them BEFORE anyone from the team has the chance to judge you..
Let me just say that you MUST be 18 years old.
Dont just send a mail because there are nothing else to explore in NC and your bored.
And like Preshock said dont spam it ;)
I will personally be going through them all, this dosnt mean that you should PM me to become a GM either.
Anything else you want to know ?????

No i dont know when DoY is out....

Candaman
25-11-03, 20:17
Carb ur tighter than a ducks butt for getting info out of ;)

Jest
25-11-03, 20:18
Originally posted by Candaman
Carb ur tighter than a ducks butt for getting info out of ;) Eh... how do you know how tight a duck's butt is? :eek:

Archeus
25-11-03, 20:20
Originally posted by Jest
Eh... how do you know how tight a duck's butt is? :eek:

Its part of the GM exam. :p

Kimiko
25-11-03, 20:22
Oh you just HAD to ask, didnt you Jest?

Whats the usual turnaround on emails, Carb? Ie: When am I going to get a reply from you :p

*gets ready to spam Carbs private email*

J. Folsom
25-11-03, 20:27
Originally posted by Carbonite
[You know, his latest post.]

I feel sort of sorry for ya, there's probably around 500 E-Mails to go through by now, not counting random spam since it's been posted on a forum. :P

Darth Slayer
25-11-03, 20:32
Arrrgh My Email server is down stupid stupid Blueyonder........:mad:

Preshock
25-11-03, 20:34
mine is fine

/me loves BY

Maarten
25-11-03, 20:43
Originally posted by Maarten
Is there any minimum on the time you must be online when you are a GM?

And Penzius, can you confirm that you are not allowed to be a GM on your primary server? And if it's true, how do they check that anyway?

I really hate to do something like this, but it seems you guys really missed my post...

Jesterthegreat
25-11-03, 20:54
So thats why there are no mails in the inbox :p
well all i can say is DOH (but do point me to where i said that)
and its Gmjobs@neocron.com i will be going through them BEFORE anyone from the team has the chance to judge you..
Let me just say that you MUST be 18 years old.
Dont just send a mail because there are nothing else to explore in NC and your bored.
And like Preshock said dont spam it ;)
I will personally be going through them all, this dosnt mean that you should PM me to become a GM either.
Anything else you want to know ?????

No i dont know when DoY is out....

i cant search for the words job or gm lol :p

Ok ppl please stop spamming Snowcrash's Private Message Box...

If you want to aply then mail Jobs@neocron.com, thats where they should go not to Snow's PM Box ;)

10 hours a week?? pffft
try over 50 hours a week ;) hrhr thats how long i work with GM related stuff :p

http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?s=&threadid=77288&perpage=15&highlight=jobs@neocron.com&pagenumber=5

3rd post down

haha! carb... PWND! :lol:

well i dunno if i am interested enough to apply anymore, back then i was but this game grows less and less fun... :(

Carbonite
25-11-03, 21:05
DARN ... well it should have been Gmjobs@neocron.com :p i was properly tired or something....

hrhr you dont wanna know how many mails i get about ppl wanting to be GM...

Darth Slayer
25-11-03, 21:09
Hrhr well u should now have one of me......:)
Hoever my internet connection atm seems to be borked it just sent my email but won't allow me to recieve and I can't access two thirds of the sites on my favorites list. Might be a Hub down where I live......:eek:

Jesterthegreat
25-11-03, 21:28
well you didnt get mine *grumble* and tbh there is no longer that much keeping me here

im sad to say i no longer want a GM position

Magnazan
25-11-03, 23:11
"We are NOT here to spawn items, skill our friends and create havok. If you want to do that - you'll be off the team in about five minutes, your items removed and those players banned."

:lol:

g0rt
25-11-03, 23:45
Originally posted by Magnazan
"We are NOT here to spawn items, skill our friends and create havok. If you want to do that - you'll be off the team in about five minutes, your items removed and those players banned."

:lol:

LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now thats funny

Darth Slayer
26-11-03, 00:16
@ Carbonite I possibly sent you two emails sorry Blueyonder has been playing up abit in my area.
@ Forum mods plz close thread I've learned what I needed to know and ppl are starting to flame now. Thanks......:)