PDA

View Full Version : OT: Problem with a USB Compact Flash Reader

shodanjr_gr
23-11-03, 18:10
Heya peeps, i got a prob with a CF Reader by Belkin (plugs into ma USB port). U see, when i plug it in the PC and try to power it up it will freeze in the post screen (before scanning for IDE drives). If i remove it (without shuting down that is) the POST will continue as normal...

Anyone got an idea why this is happening? Gets on my nerves to have to plug/unplug all the time.

All help is dearly appreciated:D

OpTi
23-11-03, 18:43
most likely is that device is taking too much power from the motherboard preventing it from powering up properly.

i often seen this problem with devices that are powered off the usb ports rather than thier own power supply when i was doing tech support

shodanjr_gr
23-11-03, 18:49
thing is, the device works like a charm on my dads pc which got an old celeron mobo and a 250 W power supply. I got a P4 mobo and a 350W PS. Aint that kinda odd?

OpTi
23-11-03, 18:57
depends on the motherboard really, can you think of another reason?

i mainly saw this problem on certain (p/n)ackard bells when i was doing tech support for thier machines sold by dixons/pcworld/currys and with card readers or the crappy alcatel adsl modems that came with freeserve and bt's bradband, they were powered off the usb ports which caused the systems to crash, not post, shutdown. One guy i spoke to had run some diagnostic proggie (having all of the above problems) which basicaly said there's alot of power drain on the usb ports, he went out bought a powered usb hub and it immedialy fixed his problem. No crashes or failed booting.

shodanjr_gr
23-11-03, 19:46
Actually i was thinking, it might be the fact that ive set the mobo to scan for USB keyboards/mouses on startup. Maybe its causing some sort of conflict or something...