PDA

View Full Version : Uplinks, hacking and outposts.

Varaem
23-11-03, 11:58
Here's my idea...
I'd like constructive criticism, not flaming pleeeease.

Make OPs hackable from Uplinks, but they take like 15 min to hack supposing they didn't fail any tries, and the hacker would need like 180 instead of 100 hack to pull it off (uplinks increase hack skill anyway). Hackers can only use uplinks if their clan owns it, not an allied clan. Hacks would be done from the hack room of the uplink. Fortresses shouldn't be able to be hacked (they're isolated from the network, or have lots of protection because... they're fortresses).

The clan who owns the op being hacked would of course be notified which uplink they're being hacked from. They could send people to the uplink to kill the hacker, which means the hacker would have turrets and a clan to defend him, which is kind of funny that to defend an outpost, you attack another one.

Another option for the victim clan would be to... *drum roll* counter hack! From any citycom a hacker, from the clan who's op is being hacked, could defend his op by taking over for the computer and hacking against the uplink hacker. If the defender wins, a hacked layer is removed if there are layers disabled, or a layer from the hacker's uplink is removed if the defender's op is clean. If he loses, then another layer goes away. The layout of the hack grid thing is based as if the hacker was going against the op's computer, only a human is playing instead.

I think this would be a good idea because of a few reasons. One, hackers would get more things to do. Two, uplinks would be worth something besides being a good arena for fight night. Three, it could lead to a single big clan trying to take over the map from a single uplink, using turrets and the rest of the clan to defend the hacker. The clans that were hacked might band together and all attack the uplink, their goal being to kill the hacker. So instead of relatively small op wars, we get nearly the entire server taking place in a single fight.

On a side note, I think hack screens/grids should be semi-transparent, so the hacker knows if he's being shot at. After all, hacks are done using a computer worn on the wrist, which obviously doesn't take up one's entire vision.

Candaman
23-11-03, 12:34
i like the idea of the transparent screen thats cool. The opposing hacker going against the attacking hacker would be wikid but impossible to do and the hacking from a outpost i think would be a bad idea cus u could do one layer from there one from another uplink and one from another also the guys defending the ops wouldn't be able to gr into anywhere remotely close either.

Varaem
23-11-03, 12:48
Well doing one layer from each uplink would be bad for the hacking clan, because they would have to defend each uplink. If a hacker leaves or dies, like in normal ops, the hack resets.

For counter hacking, you'd see a message saying like "CLAN> Outpost Simmons is being hacked by DarK at Hawkings Uplink." Then you'd run to a citycom and use your hacktool on it, then a menu pops up and click something like "defend outpost". You'd take over the computer's current position, or if you're too late you'd wait until the next hack starts and you automatically go up against the hacker.

As for the GRing remotely close, that's why I wrote 15 minute hack time... that should be long enough to get nearly anywhere. And if you have a hacker that wins at least once, you buy yourself from 5-10 minutes more(do the math, its hard to explain). If you couldn't even defend your own op that you can directly GR to without imparement within 5 minutes, there's no reason that you should be able to do the same against an enemy op within 15 or 25 minutes.

Syntax-Error
23-11-03, 13:21
i like.. i like it alot.

Rade
23-11-03, 13:51
Yes, definately yes, hacking needs to be more cyberspace
hacking from a different location than some stupid lockpicking skill
that it is now.

Darth Slayer
23-11-03, 14:00
Yup the transparent Hack screen I agree with nothing pissed me off more when some twat Pk'd me the other nite whilst I was hacking........:mad:

Judge
23-11-03, 15:45
Great idea dude. Hacking needs to be useful as a pure tradeskill. :D

Also what Rade said.

Varaem
23-11-03, 16:11
Hm.. was just thinking about that wussy shock you get if you fail hacking... I say, up it to 200 damage, before resists. Muahaha.

Rade
23-11-03, 16:14
Originally posted by Varaem
Hm.. was just thinking about that wussy shock you get if you fail hacking... I say, up it to 200 damage, before resists. Muahaha.

Or more, Id say it should be a chance that it kills you if you dont
have 100ish energy etc..

Varaem
23-11-03, 16:24
Poor spies with 300 hp... :( It wouldn't matter anyway, because who would hack an op now days without a ppu? PPU = holy shelter on Spy. If you wanted to make it able to kill a holy shelter'd Spy, that means a Spy without holy shelter is guaranteed to die. hmmm... or they could type

for (int i=1;i<=player.status[].length(); i++)
{
if (player.status[i]=="holy shelter")
{
player.takeDamage(2465134869179643642396072364);
break;
}
else if (player.status[i]=="blessed shelter")
{
player.takeDamage(358195389467346);
break;
}
else
{
player.takeDamage(2000);
}
}

yes, i suck at coding c++.

Rade
23-11-03, 16:30
You know, that would make the player take 2000 damage a
shitload of times considering that there would probably be quit a
few different status thingies :P

Oath
23-11-03, 16:34
I dont play a hacker char anymore, but when iu did it aws broing as feck.............any ideas are good ones, i like this.

again no longer play a hacker char so i cant really comment.

MkVenner
23-11-03, 16:45
yeah i like it...

Cliffraiser
23-11-03, 17:09
yes this is sexy

shodanjr_gr
23-11-03, 17:59
Originally posted by Candaman
i like the idea of the transparent screen thats cool. The opposing hacker going against the attacking hacker would be wikid but impossible to do and the hacking from a outpost i think would be a bad idea cus u could do one layer from there one from another uplink and one from another also the guys defending the ops wouldn't be able to gr into anywhere remotely close either.

No it wouldnt be difficult to do. U already got the hack screen ready. Just make the part of the screen that is controlled by the computer able to be controlled by another player. So easy.

Great idea actually. Furthermore each additional uplink a clan controls should add to the hackers skill and should reduce the time required to pass between hacks.

Varaem
24-11-03, 00:48
see, told you i suck at c++.

int damage = 2000; //base case if no shelters found

for (int i=1;i<=player.status[].length(); i++)
{
if (player.status[i]=="holy shelter")
{
damage = 2465134869179643642396072364;
}
else if (player.status[i]=="blessed shelter")
{
damage = 358195389467346;
}
}

player.takeDamage(damage);