PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia or ATI? Which do u prefer?

iainy13
23-11-03, 07:48
Just wondering if people like Nvidia or ATI videocards in general. If you vote could you say wich one you like best an if you prefer a dif brand say what one that is. Oh and im not talking about in neocron and how well the cards from that brand work with NC. I mean overall.

by wich i mean which

Ormy
23-11-03, 18:03
Personally i have found Nvidia cards to be far faster, reliable, OC-able, and the extra features that come with the drivers are very good quality.

Lafiel
23-11-03, 18:09
I prefer Nvidia because i just dont trust ATI drivers ;)

Pikester
23-11-03, 18:58
Had a lot of problems with ATI drivers, esp in NC. Havent owned many Nvidia cards but the ones I have were way better.
I dont think theres much between them performance wise though.

~Pike

Psyco Groupie
23-11-03, 19:10
Ive only ever had nvidia cards until my latest card, Radeon 9800 .. which is flippin' quick :P

But a gf fx would prolly get the same fps in neocron ... but going ATI wasnt always peachy .. the drivers used to suck!

Catalyst 3.9 totally rock and pee on any nvidia driver from the top of the tower at crest village :)

ati can and will get better

nvidia will just keep bringing out performance enhancing drivers with crap stability n' stuff

G.0.D.
23-11-03, 19:25
ATI, Nividea gets shit Frames in next gen games like Half Life 2

I get a smooth 90+ frame count in Half life 2 with ALL the goodies on. w00t :P

shodanjr_gr
23-11-03, 19:50
My idea of the 2 companies:

N-Vidia: Not so good cards, great drivers
Ati: Good cards, crappy drivers (heck the drivers for the 9600 have corrupted a winxp installation)

OT: Is really HL2 bundled with ATI Radeon 9600 xts???

Ferabukoo
23-11-03, 20:15
half life is bundled with 9600 and 9800's

Drake6k
23-11-03, 20:15
I have a geforce 4 ti 4600 but I still like ATI more ;)

G.0.D.
23-11-03, 20:46
what do you mean bundled?

DOES THAT MEAN THERE IS A LEGAL COPY AVAILABLE?
or is that in the futer

iainy13
23-11-03, 21:15
comes with a ticket kinda thing for when Half-Life comes out.

Ithaqua
23-11-03, 21:56
If I had the money... 3DLabs

Gimme a wildcat IV and i'll show you REAL power!
anyone got the $3000US for one? :p

Cyphor
23-11-03, 22:21
The fastest card on the market atm (not including professional cards) is the radeon 9800xt, also although a few nvida cards can beat some ati cards in speed tests (such as the 5700 ultra V 9600xt), the moment all the added features like AA etc get turned on nvida cards performance plumets while ati's stay at a good level of performance due to better architecture.
Im not 100% sure but i think the new nvida drivers are starting to fix some of the probs in dx9 but they still have alot of work to do to win back the market, imo ati are firmly ahead atm we'll just have to wait for the next gen of cards to see who wins the next round.

Edit: oh and never use nc as comparison for how good a card performs, its not exactly a great example of graphics coded well :lol: i didnt notice a huge difference in performance from upgrading a geforce 2 mx400 PCI to a 9800 pro :p all other games run at full all settings whith great fps though :D

G.0.D.
23-11-03, 23:28
In neocron, when i upgraded my Geforce Ti 2 - to a - Radeon 9800 pro

I noticed no FPS improvment in neocron :P

But aprarently the test server has a fix for the radeon problems.. thus it must be comming to retail, so all u radeon users dance

I SAID DANCE
DANCE DANCE DANCE

iainy13
23-11-03, 23:38
xt radeon cards dont rly offer much performance increase for the price, well the radeon 9600xt dousent anyways. But ya im thinkin bout getting a saphire radeon 9600.

Cyphor
24-11-03, 00:24
Originally posted by iainy13
xt radeon cards dont rly offer much performance increase for the price, well the radeon 9600xt dousent anyways. But ya im thinkin bout getting a saphire radeon 9600.

Another good card to check out is the 9800se, they sell for about the same as a 9600xt and can be soft modded to a 9800 pro :D
Even if they dont soft mod their a damn good card.

Oh and when i said 9800 pro i cheated a bit its a soft modded 9800se cause im too poor to pay the full price :( all went well though so managed to turn it out as a 9800 pro AIW

got it from here www.overclockers.co.uk
and theres a review of it here for those interested
http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews/review.php?dXJsX3Jldmlld19JRD02NTU=

Just got to remember there is no guarantee the soft mod will work, but even if it doesnt work their still damn good cards.

iainy13
24-11-03, 04:46
actualy im concidering it but the only 9800se i can get hold of (240$ cnd) is a saphire and i have no idea which model it is on this (http://www.ocfaq.com/softmod/faq.php) site. I gota go there and see em for myself i guss. Anyways im probably goin for the saphire 9600. Amazing overclocking power for the price an its only 170$. To bad its not a pro an only got 4 pipelines. O well.

Cyphor
24-11-03, 04:58
from the info here, http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Sapphire_143.html,id guess it would turn into a 9500 pro with 8 pipelines, however you've got to remember that the other 4 piplines may be flawed when reactivated so it might be better going with the safer option and as you said it should overclock great :) the 9600 is a great card for the cash.

Nvidia
24-11-03, 05:05
I used to respond to these threads... but I stopped, because people always feel the brand they choose is the "end-all beat-all" solution.

Honestly, neither is company is better overall. They all have their stronger and weaker points, and even then, those results will almost certainly be different when using the video card on different systems.

Some people don't seem to understand that many of the components you put in your computer tend to work better with one brand than the other.

Some people make claims such as, " the moment all the added features like AA etc get turned on nvida cards performance plumets while ati's stay at a good level of performance due to better architecture." In reality, the performance you get with "everything on" depends on your system.

Yes, I realise I didn't defend ATi too, but that's because no one has left a quote for me to pick on em about yet :p

You may see some irony in this, considering my name, but I like both brands. I've had my fair share of problems with both of them in the past, and I've given them both more than a few chances.

Really, in the future people, try not to make claims if you can't back them up. With that, people shouldn't be making ANY claims unless you work for nVidia/ATi :p

Cyphor
24-11-03, 05:31
Originally posted by Nvidia
Really, in the future people, try not to make claims if you can't back them up. With that, people shouldn't be making ANY claims unless you work for nVidia/ATi :p

http://www.hothardware.com/hh_files/S&V/radeon_9600xt(3).shtml

:p look at performance drops with aa etc, all tests done on the same system with only the graphics card differing. I use reviews as the primary basis for my advice, mainly cause i cant afford to try every card :( mabey one day...when i win the lottery... :p

However you are right that the average user wont notice a difference in performance for each brands product in the price range, as alot of people wont even use AA etc. It is still usefull info to have though when people ask for it ;)

Nvidia
24-11-03, 05:56
I'm sure that if you were to go out browsing, you would find a benchmark where an Nvidia card kicked the crap out of an ATi card too...

I seem to recall awhile back a benchmark between the 9800 and the 5900. The base results were the same, but as the testers added things like AA, AF, and all the extra bells and whistles, the 5900 left the 9800 in the dust. I think it was on Tom's Hardware, but I can't be arsed to go check right now, got lots of work to do tonight :( I'm not even really sure on those model numbers, for all I know, it could have been the 9700 and 5800.

But those benchmarks are impressive, I have to say.

However, they used the same system in every test. Granted, when you perform an experiment, you must have a control, which in this case, would be the system.

I still believe though that the performance you get will depend on the way it is configured and the components used in the process.

I'm not trying to defend Nvidia directly, as I said earlier, I like them both the same. And when ATi flames come up, I try to defend them too.

No one should be flaming the other companies, all the cards operate to serve one purpose: To play our videogames :p Let's not shoot the messengers, gentlemen ;)

|EDIT| It was driving me crazy, I'm sorry, I had to go find the benchmarks. Here is the benchmarks comparing The GeforceFX 5900 Ultra and the 9800 Pro

http://www17.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030512/index.html

Sorry, I'm a forum nublet, I don't know jack shit about posting pics or links.

As you can see in the benchmarks, the 5900 ultra beats the 9800 Pro in just about every possible benchmark on the review. That's not the point though, I am just simply showing some cards do better than others in some areas.

iainy13
24-11-03, 06:04
Ya you are right about the nvidia 5900 did outperform the radeon 9800 pro's but the 5900 cost quit abit more and cant be overclocked asmuch in what ive read so dont quote me on that. For price an performance ive seen ATI usaly are the better choice. But i have no idea bout the entire AIW or any other 9800 twists. Plus my old geforce 2 mx400 was a great card. I used that card forever. I want to like nvidia more. If only they had more performace for the price. But it always changes so i guss i will have 2 c what happens in half a year.

Cyphor
24-11-03, 06:08
Originally posted by Nvidia
No one should be flaming the other companies, all the cards operate to serve one purpose: To play our videogames :p Let's not shoot the messengers, gentlemen ;)

Very true :)

Im not trying to flame either company, sorry if it seems that way, i was just trying to give my oppinion/advice and the sources for my decisions to help those who requested it

:angel:

Nvidia
24-11-03, 06:11
Wasn't refering to you Cyphor, just all those fanbois who say stuff like:

"NVIDIA IS 2 FUKING EXSPANSIEV!"

Or what about those guys that say:

"OMG AIT DRIVERS SUK MAJAR ASS!"

Or what about those guys that say:

"(Insert Video Card Name Here) PWNZ J00!!!111oneone!"

I get a laugh out of em every time I see em :angel:

|EDIT| Sorry iainy13, just saw your comments about prices, wasn't refering to you either :)

Cyphor
24-11-03, 06:17
Oh and just to prove your earlier point on diff reviews etc,

http://www.hothardware.com/hh_files/S&V/radeon_9800xt(3).shtml

This is a comparison between the 9800xt however as its the closest competitor to the 5900 ultra, and it shows them as pretty much identical :)

On the topic of overclocking that can be more down to the brand you buy (saphire, hercules, powercolor etc.) than anything else, what type of memory and heatsync they use etc...

Edit: just to add as well id agree most of the time its just down to personal preference and often your better just going with what you can get the best deal on as when your in a game you wont notice the diference between either, if you do look at reviews you often see differences in fps in the graphs and it can look a lot but when you look at the number its only minimal amounts of fps, show me someone that can tell the diff between 100 and 105 fps without cheating and using a program and il give them a cookie :p

CerealKiller
24-11-03, 07:37
What the hell is up with the Sapphire cards anyway? i haven't been able to figure that out....

Cyphor
24-11-03, 07:53
The memory bus on them is 128 bit so if you enable the other four piplines successfully they become a 9500 pro not a 9800 pro as a 9800 pro has a 256 bit memory interface. Nothing wrong with it though ;) still a damn nice card for the price. Also just to add its not technically a 9500 pro as far as i know, thats just the closest card to what it becomes, where as if you soft mod a card like the hercules, it has a 256 bit interface and so does become a 9800 pro, as thats what it was before the 4 pipelines were disabled.

For a better explanation prob better reading the first few para's of the review i posted b4 :)

http://www.hexus.net/content/review...mlld19JRD02NTU=

edit: wrong url above but im leaving it in as i like their page not there explanation :p

http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews/review.php?dXJsX3Jldmlld19JRD02NTU=

Not sure if im making too much sense atm, been up all night writing a essay for uni :(

As for AIW functions and what they are, its basically just a video caputre/tv tuner combined in the video card so you can hook up you card to a tv or watch tv on you pc/ use your pc like tivo/ run a vcr/ camcorder/ hook up a consol to it etc.

Marx
24-11-03, 08:10
six of one, half dozen of the other.

*shrug*

BiTeMe
24-11-03, 13:05
Just thought I would add my 2 cents here.
From my experience Nvidia have produced good solid cards BUT I would never buy another Nvidia card again. Don't get me wrong, I have owned lots of them and I have only ever owned one ATI card but I would feel happier recommending an ATI card as you know what you get.

I don't like the road Nvidia are heading down with their drivers... and I don't like the way they are going about it. This is just one article of many that describes what Nvidia are doing. nvidia cheating article (http://www.beyond3d.com/articles/3dmark03/340/)

Don't get me started on the way Nvidia has treated fans like Omega ( http://www.omegacorner.com )...

I like to know what I am getting with my drivers and hardware and I achieve that when I purchase ATI. When Nvidia realise they are pissing off a lot of fans and re-think what they are doing, then I might go back depending on price/performance or course.

-FN-
24-11-03, 15:00
NVidia is teh evil and works for evil Dark!

So I pick...

NVidia :p

Why? Tried and true community support, drivers that upgrade performance a decent amount, compatibility, and the ability to put an N and V together to make a decent word.

ATI is pretty, don't get me wrong, but in my eyes, they are still overpriced, under-supported, and still belong in the corporate market. Go CAD!

Jesterthegreat
24-11-03, 15:01
Nvidia... i cant handle the pathetic software support on an ATI