PDA

View Full Version : OT: First Time Using NVidia, having trouble installing, please help

CerealKiller
23-11-03, 06:26
Ok guys, just purchased my first Nvidia. It's a PNY Verto GeForce FX 5200.

Driver installation doesn't actually get the video card working, any suggestions, if you need any more information, please ask, I'm watching this thread intensely. I've been hardcore ATI and I really don't want to have trouble with Nvidia this early on.

CerealKiller
23-11-03, 06:40
Come on guys, there's got to be someone out there who can help me

\\Fényx//
23-11-03, 06:41
Erm...

Never had trouble installing a nv card myself before . . .

Whats the problems your getting

Whats your motherboard and how are you trying to install it sofar . . .

its pretty much a case of turn off any onboard gfx and set the AGP as primary display in the BIOS. Then fit the FX5200, plug in monitor, and boot up, your into windows probably at standard 800x600 rez, then install your drivers from there . . .

Are you installing drivers from a CD, or have you downloaded the latest forceware drivers, also have you currently got ATi drivers installed as they may cause a problem . . .

What happens when you go thru the instructions you already have and try boting

When will stop asking questions...

uhm yea, anyway.... hi...

OMG KOS DOUBLE POST !!1111 watchout the big N's gonna 'ave ya...

CerealKiller
23-11-03, 06:45
Amptron made the board

I had a Radeon 9k, but I removed it and uninstalled the drivers, BIOS is set to AGP... tried installing Detonator from CD and website.... I get video... just don't get the drivers to work.... so it's using the XP VGA drivers...

\\Fényx//
23-11-03, 06:48
Originally posted by CerealKiller
Amptron made the board

I had a Radeon 9k, but I removed it and uninstalled the drivers, BIOS is set to AGP... tried installing Detonator from CD and website.... I get video... just don't get the drivers to work.... so it's using the XP VGA drivers...

hold up a sec, so youve got the card installed, and when you boot its actually giving a display but with generic drivers . . .

It should be the case then that once your in windows, download the forceware drivers from www.nvidia.com and its pretty much go from there... it will STILL be at the same resolution after a reboot, youll probably have to reinstall your monitor drivers aswell after removing the ATi card.

CerealKiller
23-11-03, 06:58
It's working now, I disabled my CPU to AGP Bridge and re-enabled it.

\\Fényx//
23-11-03, 06:59
It's working now, I disabled my CPU to AGP Bridge and re-enabled it.

everything sorted yea?

You might wanna play around with the driver versions youve got installed, i get pretty shitty results from the latest forceware drivers, have a go at some in the nvidia archive, see what works best :)

StryfeX
23-11-03, 07:04
Amptron made the board AAAIIIIIEEEEEEEE!!!!111oneone *Gouges out eyes*

Amptron, BAD! M'kay? :p

But like Fenyx said, disable any and all onboard video in the BIOS.

About Windows loading up only the standard VGA drivers, have you completely uninstalled the old graphics drivers BEFORE you tried to install the new ones? If you didn't, then you should, and uninstall the current ones to. Start from scratch.

You might also try forcing Windows to use the drivers (get into the device manage, right click the card and select "Update Driver", then find the location of the detonator driver (it's C:\NVidia for the newer drivers, if I remember correctly) and tell it to look in there.)

Also... Have you installed the latest drivers for your motherboard, DirectX, and all that good shiznit?

--Stryfe

Ok, nevermind all the (now rendered useless) drivel. Glad you got it sorted.

\\Fényx//
23-11-03, 07:07
As youve changed your graphics card you should really update your DX install aswell as your hyperion 4in1 drivers if your mobo uses them...

Anna
23-11-03, 12:38
xp doesnt respond very well to changes in the hardware configuration, id suggest reinstalling xp again, might solve some probs

CerealKiller
24-11-03, 07:18
The card worked for a little bit, but then the graphics got FUXORED.... I'm returning it tomorrow and getting my money back, the card's a POS. I tried earlier versions of the drivers on my computer, and my roommates.... and it was bjorked...

Nvidia
24-11-03, 07:28
Small word of advice for you Cereal buddy...

PNY SUCKS ASS :angel:

I bought a PNY 5600 Ultra awhile back, and while it worked, it was fucking awesome. That only lasted about 15 minutes though. Take that sombitch back and get yourself an eVGA. I've had 4 or 5 friends complain about PNY as well due to them breaking right out of the box.

When I tried to get mine fixed, the number in the box led me to a fully-automated Tech support line with no way of reaching a human being unless I left a number on an answering machine :rolleyes: (Which by the way, took them a week and a half to get back to me) By then I had returned It to Best Buy and bought an Asylum 5600 which blows the doors off anything I've seen for 150 bucks :)

CerealKiller
24-11-03, 07:32
I'm just gonna order my Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB, that way I know I don't have issues.... it may be just because of PNY, but I'm not willing to take another chance with Nvidia right now...

Nvidia
24-11-03, 07:36
If you're gonna go with ATi, there's a card that you can soft-mod to a 9700. Saves a bit of money :)

I believe it's the 9500 Saphire. Just make sure you get the L-shaped RAM setup, which means that the RAM chips are lined up along the edges in an L-shape.

After that, it's just a matter of getting the h4x0red drivers for it... I'll work on finding them for you.

|EDIT| Bah, nm, one of my friends told me that the 9600 pro is actually faster than a 9700 soft-modded =\ Sorry

CerealKiller
24-11-03, 07:38
Not worth softmodding it, I have a 100MHz FSB running 576 MB SDRAM, I don't even have DDR....

Sheba
24-11-03, 18:42
I'm just gonna order my Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB, that way I know I don't have issues.... it may be just because of PNY, but I'm not willing to take another chance with Nvidia right now...

Don't have the pro but except for a little more speed there is not alot of difference if you want to save some $$.
You are going AGP I hope?

CerealKiller
25-11-03, 04:23
I wouldn't use a PCI Video card if my life depended on it lol

Sheba
25-11-03, 11:42
I wouldn't use a PCI Video card if my life depended on it lol

Well you would be a amazed at the number of uninlightened masses who still use PCI! ;)

Zanathos
25-11-03, 18:16
My Video card is an nVidia GeForce 4 Ti 4200 128 MB vid card.

as for its AGP, i dont really know, but cant be less than x4 :(

But I love my video card.

The only game to really max out my computers abilities so far is Unreal II.

Zanathos
25-11-03, 18:16
Ah poop.... double post, moderators, delete me.