PDA

View Full Version : [OT] Need some help - connection problems

Jest
23-11-03, 04:40
I recently got DSL installed in the house and with that I bought a wireless base station and a wireless card for my comp. It was working really well for the first few days until another computer in the house also set up a wireless connection. Now everything is shot to hell.

It's odd because my connection is still fast. I can download stuff at the same speed I have always been able to, but it seems like the dsl is having a hard time switching between all the connections. For example I can't play Neocron. Half the time it tells me Server not found in the startup screen, the other half of the time it lets me log in for like 30 seconds before it starts syncing. Its the same for web pages. They either load instantly or don't load at all. Some times it loads like half of the images on the page too.

So first of all, what can I do to fix it? Did I set something up wrong? I'm new to wireless technology but I'm pretty sure this shouldn't be happening. I'll gladly answer any more questions that would help determining what I need to do. Its been driving me insane I haven't been able to play Cron for this entire week and I even reformated my computer to see if I could properly set it up.

Thanks in advance.

StryfeX
23-11-03, 06:51
I can't really help you much as I haven't really dealt with wireless a lot, but is your base station a router capable of handling more than one wireless connection? Does it do address translation (NAT)? What make and model is the card and base station?

I don't think I can help you much more than that, but I'm sure others can. With the right info, of course. ;)

--Stryfe

Jest
24-11-03, 18:19
Originally posted by StryfeX
I can't really help you much as I haven't really dealt with wireless a lot, but is your base station a router capable of handling more than one wireless connection? Does it do address translation (NAT)? What make and model is the card and base station?

I don't think I can help you much more than that, but I'm sure others can. With the right info, of course. ;)

--Stryfe Hmmm forgot to look before I left for work this morning. Its a Microsoft base station and I can only assume its can handle more than one connection. I'm not sure if it does address translation is that something I should look in to?

Kugero
25-11-03, 00:26
well NAT/PAT could be the issue with Neocron but usually only if your running the game client from both computers at the same time without hard-coding the server connection ports on each PC.

are you running encryption? That could be the cause - if the second PC is online browsing or what not the additional router CPU load combined with the encrypt/decrypt might cause enough lag to throw the NC client into fits. You can try resetting the wireless to no encryption for a test and see if it clears up the lag...

otherwise post the model number of the base station and we can take a look at the manual online and see if anything pops out as odd ...

Jest
25-11-03, 07:41
Ok the base station I'm using is a Microsoft MN-700 wireless g base station. I checked to see if encryption is on and its not. Hmm dunno what other information might be helpful. I checked port filtering and no ports are being blocked or anything.

Under wireless mode its set to "mixed b compatible," though I have the option to change it to "g performance." Hmmm I guess I should change it to g but would that really result in fixing my problems? Oh and the check box for "Broadcast wireless network name" is selected, but I have no idea what that means. hehe. Let's see... also its set to dynamically obtain an IP address and the DNS number is obtained automatically. Should I enter in the DNS address manually if I know it? How often do ISPs change that cause I think I wrote the number down last time I talked to tech support.

Ok and then just in case in matter my wireless card is a LinkSys wireless-g card but I don't think that would really matter.

Hopefully all this new info will help.

StryfeX
25-11-03, 08:15
I suggest you (semi) lock your router down so that only your MAC address (and those of others your trust) can get on. Not to mention changing the administrative password. Otherwise, someone on the outside can simply log in and completely screw with you and your router, maybe even your computers.

--Stryfe

Jest
26-11-03, 17:30
Hmm I had changed the password and MAC address stuff a while ago so I don't believe its an outside source causing the problems or anything. I did a test yesterday, I turned off the other wireless computer and went back to my computer to try and play Neocron/surf the web and such and it worked completely fine, so I think the problem is definitely that there are two computers using the wireless at the same time thats the cause. Which might make sense that I get less performance, but it shouldnt give such bad performance thats its impossible for me to play Neocron. Any one have any tips yet this is seriously killing me I hate paying for all this expensive stuff and not being able to use any of it for the reason I bought it.