PDA

View Full Version : {OT} Power Modems

Berzerker
22-11-03, 16:36
Yes, your nexp ISP may be your Electricity supplier. They are projecting speeds four times faster than anything now evailible.

Pi-Oh-Pah
22-11-03, 16:37
Scottish Power has been trying this the last few months or so - and its looking good.

Lathuc
22-11-03, 16:38
uh they have been talking about that crap for years now and nothing happened i think

Cruzbroker
22-11-03, 16:39
Known that for years, Finland has that kinda already in use at one city,
well, gonna get one when it comes properly in use. (It has packet loss a big problem atm)

Pikester
22-11-03, 16:48
Brodband over powerlines has been around for a few years.. there a few tests setup around here in the UK. Only problem is that the switching equipment is more expensive to rollout than DSLAM's. Nice idea.. not sure I'm about to plug my ethernet card into the mains though O_o

In this country BT are real bum's. Not many people realise they allready have fiber connection to most of their exchanges. You can buy bandwidth from them too.. at ENOURMASS cost :( So you couldnt even set up a little wireless community off their bandwidth if you wanted to.

pah.. grr..
Pike

robinitnow
22-11-03, 16:52
pike they will probably use some form of relay to transfer the data from the mains to your network card so there will be no physical connection.

Pikester
22-11-03, 16:55
LOL yeah theres no doubt that it will be totally isolated, but still I wouldnt like it.
Thats if they decide it financially viable. Which I doubt considering the number of flopped broadband schemes there have been recently