PDA

View Full Version : How would you promote Neocron?

RayBob
22-11-03, 09:25
If this were your baby, how would you go about attracting more players?

Neocron is never going to be a hugely popular SWG type of game. After all, how many parents will let their kids play a game with hookers and sex emotes? But that is one of the things we like about this game—its eccentric nature.

If it were up to me, I would forget about getting some fancy new distributor/publisher. I would go for a more “grass roots” approach. I would burn 1,000 or so CDs in my office each month and send them to 20 different people…people in colleges (for example) that have volunteered to hand them out. I would give the CDs away for free along with one free month of game time.

One thing they would have to include is a good manual but I wouldn’t waste a nickel printing them. The Neochronicles have shown us that KK can put together some stunning PDFs so I would make the manual digital and enlist the help of the Neocron player community to write it.

Ray

Marx
22-11-03, 10:06
PARTISAN PROPOGANDA CAMPAIGN 2

RayBob
22-11-03, 13:15
Hmmm. Constant bitching about the small player base and nobody has any suggestions on how to grow the community?

Drake6k
22-11-03, 13:21
I would get a good publisher, release DoY, and advertise!

Oath
22-11-03, 13:27
get NC > SWG tattooed on my ass.

Should make a few bucks heh :p

Ascension
22-11-03, 14:24
Originally posted by Oath
get NC > SWG tattooed on my ass.

Should make a few bucks heh :p

I must say playing both games its hard to compare...

NC is alot more PvP orientated than SwG.. But SwG has alot more playability.. less bugs.. Better graphics etc..
and a high player base.. (depending which planet you visit)

But I would love to see the player base increase but tbh i cant see it myself:(

Get NC backed by Sony:eek: then see things boost :D

Oath
22-11-03, 14:45
Originally posted by Ascention
I must say playing both games its hard to compare...

NC is alot more PvP orientated than SwG.. But SwG has alot more playability.. less bugs.. Better graphics etc..
and a high player base.. (depending which planet you visit)

But I would love to see the player base increase but tbh i cant see it myself:(

Get NC backed by Sony:eek: then see things boost :D
:(

you dont think my ass would work?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:p

Syntax-Error
22-11-03, 14:49
Well while in the USA i saw something SO rare.

i went in a games store (in the florida mall) and they had NOT ONE BUT TWO copies of neocron for sale!!!!!!!!

John.nl
22-11-03, 14:54
Nice ideas. In addition:

Get rid of trial accounts.
Ditch the entrance fee.

Make it a free game up to mid-cap. So let's say about 50 str for tanks, 50 psi for monks etc.

If you want to level up higher and unlock the mid-cap, you'll have to pay the entrance and monthly fee.

Oath
22-11-03, 14:57
Originally posted by John.nl
Nice ideas. In addition:

Ditch the entrance fee.

Make it a free game up to mid-cap. So let's say about 50 str for tanks, 50 psi for monks etc.

If you want to level up higher and unlock the mid-cap, you'll have to pay the entrance and monthly fee.
Cant say i agree with that, regardless its an idea.

robinitnow
22-11-03, 15:13
Originally posted by John.nl
Nice ideas. In addition:

Ditch the entrance fee.

Considering I played about 6 months and I have only gotten to about that level I don't think it is the most economical solution. I would say level 20 is a good stop point.

BelPeeWee
22-11-03, 15:39
Originally posted by RayBob
If this were your baby, how would you go about attracting more players?

Neocron is never going to be a hugely popular SWG type of game. After all, how many parents will let their kids play a game with hookers and sex emotes? But that is one of the things we like about this game—its eccentric nature.

If it were up to me, I would forget about getting some fancy new distributor/publisher. I would go for a more “grass roots” approach. I would burn 1,000 or so CDs in my office each month and send them to 20 different people…people in colleges (for example) that have volunteered to hand them out. I would give the CDs away for free along with one free month of game time.

One thing they would have to include is a good manual but I wouldn’t waste a nickel printing them. The Neochronicles have shown us that KK can put together some stunning PDFs so I would make the manual digital and enlist the help of the Neocron player community to write it.

Ray

I like your idea ... and the truth is, it can be done right now -- you just need to have people sign up for the trial accounts... and the install is too large for one CD... but, I wouldn't suggest removing game content from the downloadable version and have it 'update' when you run the game, either -- patching takes forever, as it is.

However, it may be fun to burn about 20 copies of the game, write an auto-run that explains what they have to do ... [Register for a free account, read the manual, pass the disks on to a friend when they are finished -- or even burn 10 copies themself and distribute them...] Hmmm...

If only I had enough blank disks left to do that... but... Christmas is around the corner!
^_^

I may be doing something similar to your idea, after all...

Berzerker
22-11-03, 15:39
Fixin the major bugs, that have been in game since Beta. Would probly bring a lot of peaple back. Who would then be confident recomending the game to there friends. I may even host and build a fan site. Not worth it atm.

Wharg0ul
22-11-03, 17:03
couple ideas here....I just started like last week sometime, so my initial impressions are still fresh in my mind....

1: A dedicated n00b training zone. An area maybe just outside the city where players are "trained for the demands of living in a domed environment", or some such thing. Basically what this does is alleviate the "where the fuck is everyone?" impression that ppl get when they move to this game from something larger, AND it gives them someone to potentially team with right from the start. Hell...maybe they'd make some friends...and that's what really keeps people playing these games.

2: This idea is kind of stolen, but works well. A dedicated n00b chat channel in the game, something that maybe goes away after say /20. This way people can ask each other "WTF?", and get some answers...'cause half of the ppl at that lvl will prolly be ppl playing alts. This also makes trading and teaming easier for lowbies.

Getting ppl to try the game shouldn't be that hard...especially with players leaving AO like rats from a sinking ship. Getting them to STAY is the key.

Oh...and to this end...turn that damn head-bob off by default. Making someone puke on their keyboard is NOT gonna make them like the game.

RuButt
22-11-03, 17:52
Originally posted by Oath
:(

you dont think my ass would work?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:p

I belive in your ass oath!

Oath
22-11-03, 17:56
Originally posted by RuButt
I belive in your ass oath! RAWR!

UNITE BROTHERS AND SISTERS!!!!!!!
UNITE UNDER THE BANNER OF MEH ASS!!!!!!!

FOR THE ASS SHALL SET YOU FREE!

or............at least get me arrested........:p

Danae
22-11-03, 17:59
Touch the ass for power! :p /end OT

Well, I personally enjoy doing the lan parties and things like that to promote Neocron, not only within the community but to new people.

I pimp Neocron to everyone I meet online, and IRL because it has kept my attention for the last 3 years, and I am hard to please.

I would definitly like to see a fansite kit developed for those interested in making Neocron fan sites.

But definitly post your ideas, and I'll make sure other KK folks check out your thoughts :)

Zanathos
22-11-03, 20:04
I tell people about Neocron whenever I can.

RuButt
22-11-03, 20:08
i post personal screenies of neocron on other forums...

everyone goes like "ooooh wooow! that looks awesome! that cant be an mmorpg?! what its named?!"

me: "its an mmorpg, best damn game i ever played, its also named neocron (www.neocron.com) i would really advise you to start playing....but, that wouldnt be fair...the current lagg spikes are horrible...the game is currently unplayable"

and they go all like "wtf...it looks great, u say its great.....why dont they fix it?!"

"well...mysteries are made to like...err...no idea actually"

NERD Editor
24-11-03, 01:45
Well if I was trying to promote NC, I wouldn't just try to sell the game, but I'd try to showcase part of the community (the remainder anyway) as well.

So to get some attention to NC, I'd say first we get a couple of writers together *raises hand* and work out a small Neocronish story, something that could be played out in 5 - 10 minutes at the most. For example a terrorist attack by TG on a city structure, who then run out to an outpost pursued by vehicles and then an op war breaks out blah blah blah.
Once a little story was ready, it gets handed over to the artistic types to be done. This should be done either as a movie file or as a shockwave, whichever is feasible. Obviously a bit of computer animation work would be best, but may not be possible. They animate up in their own time and way the sequence, at which point we get some people to volunteer vocal talents (I know Danae likes to do a bit of that, so there's a start) and basically construct a mini movie illustrating life inside NC. Add some music to it all, like an anime music video or something, and then just stick the thing on Kazaa or whatever and just start spreading it out there for all the net to see, with the credits pointing out what the game is and who did it and where they can find out more.

Because most games these days take the same approach as the movies and have a little teaser trailer thing to give you a glimpse as to what might happen ingame. NC however doesn't really have that. The best its had was the abominable shockwave animation on the CDV site that made the game look like something out of a 4 year olds colouring book.

Lareolan
24-11-03, 09:27
Originally posted by NERD Editor
Well if I was trying to promote NC, I wouldn't just try to sell the game, but I'd try to showcase part of the community (the remainder anyway) as well.

So to get some attention to NC, I'd say first we get a couple of writers together *raises hand* and work out a small Neocronish story, something that could be played out in 5 - 10 minutes at the most. For example a terrorist attack by TG on a city structure, who then run out to an outpost pursued by vehicles and then an op war breaks out blah blah blah.
Once a little story was ready, it gets handed over to the artistic types to be done. This should be done either as a movie file or as a shockwave, whichever is feasible. Obviously a bit of computer animation work would be best, but may not be possible. They animate up in their own time and way the sequence, at which point we get some people to volunteer vocal talents (I know Danae likes to do a bit of that, so there's a start) and basically construct a mini movie illustrating life inside NC. Add some music to it all, like an anime music video or something, and then just stick the thing on Kazaa or whatever and just start spreading it out there for all the net to see, with the credits pointing out what the game is and who did it and where they can find out more.

Because most games these days take the same approach as the movies and have a little teaser trailer thing to give you a glimpse as to what might happen ingame. NC however doesn't really have that. The best its had was the abominable shockwave animation on the CDV site that made the game look like something out of a 4 year olds colouring book.

Wow! This has got to be the best idea I have ever read! 5 stars definitely on that one. Only problem is I also agree with RuButt. I simply can't promote this game in good concience when it is in the state it is. For a game that has been out for over a year with constant bug reports by the community, KK has still done nothing to fix any of them. All they seem to be doing lately is introduce bugs which they fix... eventually... And then get praised by the comunity for fixing the bug they created. Let's be honest, there IS no new content. An average of 2 new items (TOTAL) per month is not my idea of new content. Not to mention that if they'd at least let the community participate, we'd have had hundreds of weapons/armor types/ vehicles etc. by now. All well balanced and ready to be used. Sorry for being pessimistic, but can you honestly promote a game that hasn't changed at all for over a year since it's launch? (I mean, heck, look at any other MMORPG. Sure they might not be as exciting, or might not need the "|_337 skillz", but they work to repair whatever bugs are there and they bring new content into the game. ALL games do it as far as I see. Neocron is the only MMO I know of that does not. I feel ashamed to be a client and the only reason I don't quit is the same reason everyone else who still is here hasn't quit yet. I'm addicted :()

Sheba
24-11-03, 10:14
Well the game needs to be shaken up, I know they have done events where they had a "scheduled" attack. Might I suggest I full out invasion of the City, or something more subtle kidnappings of PC's as well as NPC...perhaps a little espionage
with clues randomly leaked out so players might be able to defuse the bomb etc.
If players in game are excited about playing and can't wait till they can get back into the game, I promise the word will get around and people will come back...new and old players alike!

Original monk
24-11-03, 10:22
sorry for offtopic: but sheba, thats a loong time ive seen you here again, i know cause i used to think you had the coollest sig on the forum and its a loong time ago i saw that sig again :)

ontopic: send to all gamemagazine directors a golden bullet with there name on it (and a date and a place) if they come to that place they will enter some sort of giant church where the releaseparty for doy is given :)

gostly
24-11-03, 10:42
main reason i started the game was i found beta4(i think, if it had the offline tutorial) on some gaming site...anyways i played the offline tutorial and then found out beta was over...but was impressed with the tutorial so much that i ordered it...

stayed a n00b for about 6/9 months that i played...since it was the first mmorpg i ever got addicted to...that's the only reason i come back to the game...i quit for 3 months...came back for a month...leveled up...now my account is expired again and their's nuthin new going on so im not gunna re-activate it...

i tryed to tell a couple of friends IRL about the game...i think i overhyped it tho...which lead to nuthin but a letdown when they realized the bugs/crashes/gfx problems...

i couldnt promote the game in it's current position...i really hope that while everyone of us are waiting on DoY...they're fixing the problems in this game...or else it'll be nuthin but a letdown

Sheba
24-11-03, 11:13
Do they or do they not act on the problems presented by players?
Not talking minor issues but things that everyone agree's on..
This game needs a more personal feel, I feel very detached when I play, going through the motions not full immersion. This is not something that would be fixed by joining a guild as you can always make friends reguardless of joining a guild. People at least me like to think that we can make a difference in the game, feel special ......I honestly cannot quite put into words what I would like to see done with this game.

I played UO for 5 years the game was very personalized, and despite the dated graphics you could really get into the game.
I honestly can't put my finger on what exactly NC needs..except perhaps it just needs "heart"!

( and no that does not mean carebear land)

BelPeeWee
24-11-03, 14:06
Originally posted by Sheba
Do they or do they not act on the problems presented by players?
Not talking minor issues but things that everyone agree's on..
This game needs a more personal feel, I feel very detached when I play, going through the motions not full immersion. This is not something that would be fixed by joining a guild as you can always make friends reguardless of joining a guild. People at least me like to think that we can make a difference in the game, feel special ......I honestly cannot quite put into words what I would like to see done with this game.

I played UO for 5 years the game was very personalized, and despite the dated graphics you could really get into the game.
I honestly can't put my finger on what exactly NC needs..except perhaps it just needs "heart"!

( and no that does not mean carebear land)

I agree completly. After nearly three years of Ultima Online--now dead, due to the Diablo III Expansion (Age of Shadows)--Neocron is missing some things. Here is my input.

1.) The New Player Experience: As it stands, new players are nothing more than steamy piles of shit, and it becomes very obvious. From what I have experienced, witnissed, and read, the only possible way to level a character is to kill stuff for experience. It does not seem that crafting/recycleing/researching do a goddamned thing for gaining levels. It's not right...
"I want to be a constructor when I grow up!" "Well, Billy, you're going to have to go kill rats."
"I want to be a hacker when I grow up." "Well, Jim, you're going to have to go kill rats."
"I want to be a Tank when I grow up." "Well, Earl, you're going to have to learn how to dance... No, no, I was only kidding. You have to kill rats!"
It just doesn't seem right. Additionally, new players are confused as Hell. Even after spending over a week reading tutorials, manuals, help guides, etc... before I ever played, I remained clueless. NPC's that will slowly, and possibly painfully, explain everything to new players (who have the option to say "Fuck Off, I can figure it out for myself!") would be a huge help.

2.) Leveling at Low Levels: From what I have seen, at low levels, the only way to level at an acceptable rate is to fight something that will completly destroy you if you are left alone with it for more than a few seconds. Sure, you can survive with a Monk to heal your ass, but, with so few players (compared to many other games) how many Monks really want to spend their life "healing n00bs?" Also, the fact that once the runner has taken any damage, they slow down to the point where they cannot run. A runner just out of MC5 who goes to do a <insert New York City sewer critter here> Mission gets bit twice by that <New York City Sewer Critter> ... and can no longer out-run it. The only chance for survival is to pray to God that the rat, roach, flies, bees, whatever... gets bored with n00b meat and decides to chase something else. Rarely the case... So n00b Runner becomes dead n00b Runner.

3.) Personalization and Customization: The options for customizing your runner are very limited. There are a handfull of top and bottom halves to choose from, and they can be dumped in a bucket of dye. Yes, it is possible to create new textures, however those textures are changed globally -- so so much for your L337 cammo... what the Fuck was that guy thinking when he decided to put cammo with those pants? Ooh yeah, he just sees the original texture. Doi! At the same time, you look like a complete n00blar to him, too! It makes me miss the character customization of Ultima Online. Everything changes character appearance, from type of shirt/pants/skirt/kilt to armor.. even hair style and color. You know what else? I miss cross-dressing!

That is about all for my input at the moment...
Questions, Comments, Snide Remarks?

Sheba
24-11-03, 14:20
You have hit on some very good points... But when was talking about personalization I was going beyond the character.
There are so many possibilities, Like when you Make a gun of the finest quality you might want to put your name on it?
Decorating your place, stupid to some but would be nice to make your place truely unique! Anyway you get the idea..I suppose this idea is taken from UO, one of the things I really loved about that game. But first they need to fix the bug issues then agree on a good way to get the word out that NC is here to stay!

Syntax-Error
24-11-03, 14:24
Good cst already have there name placed upon guns

and app decoration is a work in progress although i still want to see player vendors!!!!!

Sheba
24-11-03, 14:30
Originally posted by Syntax-Error

and app decoration is a work in progress although i still want to see player vendors!!!!!

See I have been away too long...and have yet to attain a level where I can see that kind of gun! lol

greploco
24-11-03, 15:18
slick short popup animations on the web showcasing cool stuff from cool camera angles

downloadable montage movies showing various neocron stuff

garyu69
24-11-03, 15:30
Stick it on the front of some gaming magazines.

Say there is about 200,000 readership from the magazine and out of that 10% sign up thats 2000 extra players on Neocron.

Bundle it with new PC's.

Get a deal going with someone like GAME or another games store where they promote it within their GAME:NET subsciptions.

But by far the best idea is to get it out to as many people as possible and then go for a 1 - 10% conversion rate in sign ups.
If 1,000,000 people get it and we only get a 1% sign up rate it will be well worth it with 10,000 new players.

Those talks from Game companies help :D

Lareolan
24-11-03, 19:54
Originally posted by Syntax-Error

That's not quite true. Good constructors have a small chance of getting their name on the gun. Incredibly good and larger than life constructors have only a slightly better chance of that happening. The fact that your name will go on the gun depends on TL of weapon (not it's quality) and the number of slots. So a really high TL weapon, like a Disruptor for instance you will get a name on it with just 1 slot (regardless of all it's stats being 105%). On the other hand you could make an Ehanced Plasma Rifle at cap quality and you still won't get your name on it unless it has 3 or more slots. I think that is kind of sad really. Just as a note, a fully artifact 1-slot CS will also have no name on it. You need 2 slots to put name on a CS.

superfresh
24-11-03, 21:14
1) A Neocron song, kind of like the "Pac Man Fever" of the 80's. Shoot a video, get it on MTV, etc etc...

2) Neocron toy animals. A cuddly little Grim Chaser, hangable mutant bats, an inflatable Warbot punching bag, and so on...

3) The Neocron breakfast cereal, with marshmallow Hoverbots, Aggressors, and Maulers. Delicious and nutritious.