PDA

View Full Version : FFS...spyware infestation!!!!!

RayBob
22-11-03, 03:56
I am trying to get rid of some piece of shit spyware program and I need some help.

Over the last week or so, I have noticed a massive increase in pop-ups as well as certain keywords being underlined and providing links to search engines. In addition, the address bar is performing a search on anything I type and redirecting me to one of the same search engines. I have "Do not search from the address bar" selected under options but it is still doing it.

I am behind both a harware and sofware firewall and I also ran SpyBot and still the problem is there. Any ideas?

Lathuc
22-11-03, 03:58
you have the newest version of spybot and have the protection thingie on?

RayBob
22-11-03, 04:07
Latest version, latest upate, immunizations on....no change.

RayBob
22-11-03, 04:18
ActiveX disabled and Java disabled....still happening. WTF ?

Lenard
22-11-03, 04:41
try adaware

Drake6k
22-11-03, 04:55
Go to Start then Run then Type msconfig then go to startup.

All programs starting with your computer are listed there. I personally keep everything unchecked. All pop-up programs I have had were all listed there.

Also hit ctrl-alt-del and look for any strange processes. Something like "XXXSpy.exe" is prolly bad ;)

Lathuc
22-11-03, 04:55
there is always the ultimate solution if adaware and spybot wont work bambambam format :eek:

Revslad
22-11-03, 05:13
Adaware is cool i do a scan a day and it seems to keep my comp clean :)
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

RayBob
22-11-03, 08:31
Finally found it! The culprit was an adware called Winshow. Spybot does not detect it so I had to manually root it out of my registry but it worked. Evidently the program hijacks the "search from address bar" feature and overrides any option you select in Internet Options. The people who write this shit need to have their balls put in a vice.

Zu (Pluto)
22-11-03, 15:49
Good for you RayBob. Glad you found that piece of trash. You're right - those damn marketing people who creates this things need to have a good long look at their ethics.

BTW, you might want to have another look at your security settings for Internet Explorer (or Mozilla, or whatever) and make sure they've not been changed. Probably worth beefing everything up in any case. It's sometimes less convenient on certain websites, but you can sort of set exceptions, depending on your browser. Don't want more crawling onto your machine.

Zu

AlphaGremlin
22-11-03, 15:54
Originally posted by RayBob
The people who write this shit need to have their balls put in a vice.
HAHAHAHAH! :lol: Totally! I'm going for one of those industrial, pneumatic powered vices. The kind of shit they hold girders in.

I had my computer infected with BS Spyware, pissed me off so much.

Pikester
22-11-03, 16:38
Originally posted by RayBob

I am behind both a harware and sofware firewall ]

Hi RayBob,
Theres no reason why you should be behind 2 firewalls. All you need is one properly configured one.. I would suggest keeping the hardware firewall.
Remember the chain is only as strong as the weakest link, so cut down on the number of links.

Pike

StryfeX
22-11-03, 16:48
Originally posted by Pikester
Hi RayBob,
Theres no reason why you should be behind 2 firewalls. All you need is one properly configured one.. I would suggest keeping the hardware firewall.
Remember the chain is only as strong as the weakest link, so cut down on the number of links.

Pike He might be running a config like me, where you have a hardware router with a built-in NAT firewall (e.g. - Simple, but relatively effective), but also run something like ZoneAlarm or Sygate on the actual PC. I've found that unless you know the Cisco command language and want to spend an ass-load of money, this configuration is tops.

@RayBob: I completely agree with you about the vice comment. :lol: You might also think about resetting your security settings for the internet zone in IE back to medium. Then you can just re-tweak them from there.

--Stryfe

Pikester
22-11-03, 17:00
I guess its down to your network setup, but in my experience, consolidating those two functions into one box is very much the best option.
And theres no need to spend much on it at all.. I'm running IPCop on the production firewall/NAT router at work. So far after a year its achieved 100% uptime and not one attack has got passed it.
Its also very standard equipment, so provided you know what you want from your network, its very easy to configure.

greploco
23-11-03, 07:51
--> ZoneAlarm

very good