PDA

View Full Version : AMD Mobo sux donkey

Lexxuk
21-11-03, 21:39
Ok, so i go to penzance, and finally change, after 10 or so years, from Intel to AMD.

I rush home, pull out my old mobo, stick in the new mobo/cpu/ram combo. turn on puter, little red light, and thats it, no POST, no monitor powering up, nuffin, i'm stumped, any ideas?

CPU fan powered up though, and I'm usin a P4 PSU.

\\Fényx//
21-11-03, 21:41
Originally posted by Lexxuk
Ok, so i go to penzance, and finally change, after 10 or so years, from Intel to AMD.

I rush home, pull out my old mobo, stick in the new mobo/cpu/ram combo. turn on puter, little red light, and thats it, no POST, no monitor powering up, nuffin, i'm stumped, any ideas?

CPU fan powered up though, and I'm usin a P4 PSU.

well uhm, ffs lexx, some more details pls. . . what CPU, RAM, MOBO have you actually got, then, maybe, we can help you . . . o_O

StryfeX
21-11-03, 21:43

CPU fan powered up though, and I'm usin a P4 PSU. This sounds stupid, but did you plug in the IDE cables the right way? If you did, you might want to pop out the RAM and re-seat it.

Is the power supply rated to be able to handle AMD CPUs?

--Stryfe

Lexxuk
21-11-03, 21:49
more details?

Ok..

Mobo is Aopen MK77MII
CPU is Athlon XP 2200+
Ram is PC2100 or something, 256MB stick
Power supply = 300W

@ Stryfe - its a bare bones, nothing plugged in except the CPU/Fan/Ram and the pwr switch.

StryfeX
21-11-03, 21:55
You mounted the mobo on the provided standoffs, right? (If not, congratulations, you now have a very expensive paperweight.)

--Stryfe

iainy13
21-11-03, 21:56
maybe i got bad info or am wrong but i think athlon 2200+ can be have a fsb of 133 an 266. Your mobo is a 266, so are you sure your proccesor is?

\\Fényx//
21-11-03, 22:00
Originally posted by iainy13
maybe i got bad info or am wrong but i think athlon 2200+ com with a fsb of 133 an 266. Your mobo is a 266, so are you sure your proccesor is?

133 IS 266 muppet :p and yes that motherboard supports that RAM and CPU, shouldnt be a problem there, motherboard may be shorting out somewhere on the case like strife mentioned..... :/

Other things may be that the motherboard may just be DOA, Some power ontroll fuckup somewhere and a replacement may fix that, try turning it on with no RAM installed, hopefully you should get some beeping, also plug in your damn case speaker lol that way you may find out if something else is causing it, does that mobo have onboard graphics or AGP only? That may be stopping it from POST if its lookin for a gfx card. . .

Lexxuk
21-11-03, 22:00
@ stryfe - wtf is a standof? O_o didnt get anythin like that wiv meh board

@ iainy - the board is 100/133, it supports the 1.8ghz speed of the 2200+

/edit @ fenix - ohh, u mean them things u plug the board into.. well, my old board is full atx, this ones micro atx, and its kinda got two little things @ the bottom with no screws in them that I couldnt be arsed to like, you know, plug in hehehe, that the standoff?

iainy13
21-11-03, 22:02
Dam ok no1 listen 2 anything i say. I dont think im goinna post bout stuff i look up on google 5 min be4 i post :/. Sry.

\\Fényx//
21-11-03, 22:03
@ stryfe - wtf is a standof? O_o didnt get anythin like that wiv meh board

@ iainy - the board is 100/133, it supports the 1.8ghz speed of the 2200+

/edit @ fenix - ohh, u mean them things u plug the board into.. well, my old board is full atx, this ones micro atx, and its kinda got two little things @ the bottom with no screws in them that I couldnt be arsed to like, you know, plug in hehehe, that the standoff?

A Stand off is a mounting for the motherboard so its about 5mm off the case side, so that it doesent short out on the case. . . If your motherboards just mounted right onto the side of the case you may have fucked it already and fully shorted it . . . :/

Lexxuk
21-11-03, 22:05
nah, its not mounted directly onto the case, i got 4 of them big gold connector type things, bout 1cm in height raising it off the back of the holder, which then slides into the case, i'm just two short at the bottom, so instead of 6 raisin it up, i got 4.

/edit - btw, its onboard everything, vga/sound/network/usb2, its also set @ 100mhz by default not 133mhz, but i cant imagine that would stop it O_o

inside is a little red standby light, which apparently should flash when in standby, but its constant red light, and with the CPU fan spinnin, i'm guessin its not the PSU.

\\Fényx//
21-11-03, 22:10
nah, its not mounted directly onto the case, i got 4 of them big gold connector type things, bout 1cm in height raising it off the back of the holder, which then slides into the case, i'm just two short at the bottom, so instead of 6 raisin it up, i got 4.

hmm that sounds 'ok' just make sure that the side without any support is not directly touching the side of the case as thats what will short it out, take the RAM out, leave the CPU in.

Does the board have onboard graphics or a AGP slot ? Not sure with that one, only checked the FSB req's and cant be arsed to search again. If it does not have onboard then chuck in a old graphics card that it will take, and try booting it without any RAM in, 'Should' beep like a motherfucker with no RAM in aslong as everything else is ok, if its the same tho, no beeps but power to fans, no display, then the boards probably dead on arrival, should be able to get it replaced on warranty.

[Edit] OK if its all onboard then it should be booting up. . . The standby lights a bit suspect tho O_o, is there a battery on the motherboard atall ? About 1 inch diameter, if you can take that out for around 30 minutes it will reset the BIOS, so should get any problems with the standby outta the way, give that a try if theres a battery on there. . .

Lexxuk
21-11-03, 22:12
ya, its got onboard AGP and onboard VGA, i'd initially stuck in my Geforce to test it, blergh, now i gotta take my puter apart n fiddle again, i'm gunna go get a coffee instead, then fiddle, after a smoke, and make more coffee, damn i'm tired O_o

/edit - ya, there is a battery, and its pretty cool, most that i remember are mounted flat on the board, or were big squares, this one looks pretty pretty, and is standing upright hehehe, its nice lookin, but i'm beginning to hate AMD and wish i'd gone for P4

StryfeX
21-11-03, 22:25
ya, its got onboard AGP and onboard VGA, i'd initially stuck in my Geforce to test it, blergh, now i gotta take my puter apart n fiddle again, i'm gunna go get a coffee instead, then fiddle, after a smoke, and make more coffee, damn i'm tired O_o

/edit - ya, there is a battery, and its pretty cool, most that i remember are mounted flat on the board, or were big squares, this one looks pretty pretty, and is standing upright hehehe, its nice lookin, but i'm beginning to hate AMD and wish i'd gone for P4 Don't hate. If you got a DOA board for a P4, it would do the same sort of things that this one's doing.

--Stryfe

Lexxuk
21-11-03, 23:04
tried with no ram, nothin, cept that little red light, hopin the shop is open tomorrow, with it bein saturday an all that jazz, silly thing :( and the speaker works, i didnt seat my vga properly in this system when rebuildin hehehe.

hinch
21-11-03, 23:13
put a bigger psu in i had that problem at first with my athlon 1.4 and a geforce2
the 300w powersupply couldnt power it all so everything spun up but nothing happened
put a bigger psu on a 450w + and it will prolly work

Lexxuk
21-11-03, 23:21
450 O_o bugger, that means i got to spend money, i hate spending money, mainly cause I just spent it all hehehe *sigh* guess anythings worth a try, and gotta be better than going back to penzance, maybe i can go swipe one from pc-world :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hippieman
21-11-03, 23:29
450s are cheap nowadays. Just check out www.pricewatch.com , 600w for $28(American) dollars plus shippin. Thats a pretty damn nice price.

Lexxuk
22-11-03, 00:42
shippins like $100 hippy dude :-/

hinch, did it powerup when blank with just cpu/fan? cause mine dont even get that far, which sucks

Gungnir
22-11-03, 01:37
--
Well, first off your motherboard doesnt have an individual pin
connection for your stand-by LED. Instead, it supports one of
those bi-color LEDS (light up in two colors). Those LEDS, instead
of two wires will have three. Which you would connect to pins
6,8,10 on your Front Panel Connector. Instead, for now, ditch the
Standby LED and just connect your power LED to pins 6 & 8 (or 8
& 10 if that dont work)

For further information on that read page 32 of your manual.
Also, connect your speaker in (if you haven't already)

You mentioned you seated the video card the wrong way at first.
Um ... that could have killed your board if it's still not working.
You'll know when by turning it on and hearing NO beeps through
the speaker.
--
Gungnir

Lexxuk
22-11-03, 01:47
it was this system that i stuck the video card in incorrectly (just wasnt seated firm enough)

the manual standby light is different to the one i mention though, the one I'm on about it actually on the motherboard itself, bottom right hand side, near the IDE2 connector.

Lexxuk
22-11-03, 16:14
All fixed :D :D :D

Was takin the thing apart to take it back, when I noticed the CPU wasnt inserted correctly, I think when I was putting in the heatsink/fan, i may have dislodged it somehow, now its all working fine :D :D :D

feel free to call me names (within reason) to reflect my newb error type stupidity :lol: :lol:

Oath
22-11-03, 16:16

Was takin the thing apart to take it back, when I noticed the CPU wasnt inserted correctly, I think when I was putting in the heatsink/fan, i may have dislodged it somehow, now its all working fine :D :D :D

feel free to call me names (within reason) to reflect my newb error type stupidity :lol: :lol:

Lexx, that was silly.

Lathuc
22-11-03, 16:23
welll uhh lol you just made my day :lol: :lol: :lol: :p

StryfeX
22-11-03, 16:33

feel free to call me names (within reason) to reflect my newb error type stupidity :lol: :lol: :lol: ROFL. You silly n00blar. :p Glad ya got it workin' though.

--Stryfe

OT: A post count of 767 makes me a plane! :p (Yes, I'm in a good mood...)

Lexxuk
22-11-03, 16:57
http://www.dgwebb.force9.co.uk/user.gif

that image soooo sums up my error hehehe

StryfeX
22-11-03, 17:13
http://www.dgwebb.force9.co.uk/user.gif

that image soooo sums up my error hehehe LMAO! I should print that out and put it in my cubicle at work. I'm the PC tech for a mid-sized company. That would soooooooo fit.

--Stryfe