PDA

View Full Version : Internet/Network Problems

Dissenter
21-11-03, 11:02
Ok, heres the thing.

I use my pc, connected to a hub, which also has my router and another pc into it.

Yesterday my PC suddenly stopped connection to the internet.

However it is not the router, or the cable, as i have been using the other pc on the net, and tried the cables.

The only thing I can think is wrong is somewhere in my network card. When connected it sends packets but does not receive them, and also does not obtain an IP like it should normally do.

So after I finish this college lesson i was going to buy a new one.

Can anyone give me some help as to what the problem could be.

I think my network card is a Netgear 310tx, if i remember correctly.

Dissenter
21-11-03, 11:47
Any one going to help, or am i screwed?

CarniFlex
21-11-03, 12:00
well you could try to move the broken network card to the working computer and install the necessary drivers for it and test if its really the network card or if some of your settings are messed up only.

Dissenter
21-11-03, 12:04
ah there we go, I knew there was one possibility i had not ruled out. But if its not the network card, what the heck is it?

Divide
21-11-03, 12:05
Im kind of confused how you have this set up--

If it is like I envision it, you should remove the hub, and connect both machines directly to the router-- all that hub is doing is adding another unecissary hop.

Legoias
21-11-03, 12:08
If it's not the card or the cable it could be:

- The port on the hub (try switching around and plugging the 'good' PC into that)

- Network drivers

- Windows Networking configuration

- The router, have you enabled any additional features or security?

- Local firewall, switch it off and test.

Just some hints that might put you on the right track.

Dissenter
21-11-03, 12:13
Its not like a normal router. Its a cable modem i got from Netgear, that can be used as a simple router, by using another port on the hub.

I've tried other ports on the hub and stuff like that, so I'm just goin to get a Network card in 30 mins from the local pc shop to my college, then see what happens when i get home.

Legoias
21-11-03, 12:17
Originally posted by Dissenter
Its not like a normal router. Its a cable modem i got from Netgear, that can be used as a simple router, by using another port on the hub.

I've tried other ports on the hub and stuff like that, so I'm just goin to get a Network card in 30 mins from the local pc shop to my college, then see what happens when i get home.

I use a netgear router and switch.

Does the hub have the 'uplink' switch in the 'uplink' position?

Archeus
21-11-03, 12:19
try resetting it (kill the power).

Other then that, maybe your not allowed it on your account and they shut you down? Some cable ISPs are now shutting down people who have a virus on their machine until it is fixed.

Legoias
21-11-03, 12:22
Originally posted by Archeus
try resetting it (kill the power).

Other then that, maybe your not allowed it on your account and they shut you down? Some cable ISPs are now shutting down people who have a virus on their machine until it is fixed.

That would stop both his PC's accessing the net not just one. In addition to that he has issues accessing the internal network which an ISP could do d*ck about.

Dissenter
21-11-03, 12:24
It is allowed as that was the modem/router they sent me as part of the package.

I did reset the hub, and the modem, and the pc loads of times.

Does the hub have the 'uplink' switch in the 'uplink' position?

Dont think so, its just a cheap ass 5 port hub.

Legoias
21-11-03, 12:26
Originally posted by Dissenter
It is allowed as that was the modem/router they sent me as part of the package.

I did reset the hub, and the modem, and the pc loads of times.

Dont think so, its just a cheap ass 5 port hub.

It will have that button. Without that activated your packets from ALL machines on that hub will get 'lost'

Dissenter
21-11-03, 16:30
still having the same problem.

got a new network card, installed that, no go.

deleted and created new connection. no go.

reinstalled druivers. nothing.

reset and reinstalled the TCP/IP setting. Nothing Still.

Not the cables, or hub, or modem.

I have NO IDEA why the hell it isnt working. and i'm getting really really stressed.

Lexxuk
21-11-03, 16:45
set up your network manually....

Open Control Panel/Networking
Local Area Connection/RightClick/Properties
TCP/IP Properties

Change your IP address to 192.168.0.100 (for instance)
Subnet to 255.255.255.255 (or something)
Gateway to 192.168.0.1

might work

RuriHoshino
21-11-03, 17:53
Can you plug the wire from the bad pc to the good pc? Sometimes one wire in a cable will get opened and shut down half of the link.

[edit] I mean the wire from the hub to the bad pc, not the cable connection.

Dissenter
21-11-03, 18:35
Tried the manual setup, didn't work.

Tested the cables again, still nothing.

this is getting weird.

zii
21-11-03, 18:52
Do you use DHCP on your disconnected PC, and where do you DHCP from? The router(swich) or from the other PC?

What is the current IP address on the disconnected PC? If starts 169.xxx.xxx.xxx DHCP has failed, since you've ruled out dodgy cables(?)

What does arp -a give you? I.E

Run cmd from the disconnected PC and type it. Example output:

C:\Documents and Settings\xx>arp -a

Interface: 172.16.11.138 --- 0x2
Internet Address Physical Address Type
172.16.11.1 00-00-0c-07-ac-xx dynamic
172.16.11.12 00-06-5b-f1-d5-xx dynamic
172.16.11.16 08-00-20-d9-67-xx dynamic
172.16.11.17 00-c0-b6-09-50-xx dynamic

I'd remove the hub as well. You said you have a switch installed. One great thing about a switch is that they remove the unnessecary broadcast traffic. Adding a hub just adds more broadcast traffic. However, this is not part of your current issue.
Just sometrhing to bear in mind in the future if you add more computers.

Hpoe it helps.

Kugero
21-11-03, 19:14
ok try this first from the DOS prompt:

ping 127.0.0.1

if no response then it could be possible that moving the card to another PCI slot will resolve the issue (IRQ/Resource conflict?)

if you get a response (loopback) then chances are your physical card is working ok.

ping 192.168.1.1 or whatever other IP address is your gateway or 2nd PC address.

No response? Check your NIC settings. Make sure the static IP settings match what you have setup for your internal network. If you're on DHCP then run 'winipcfg (win9x)' or 'ipconfig /all' (win2k/XP) from a DOS prompt and make sure it's getting an IP address from the DHCP server (probably your gateway router). If you're not getting an IP address through DHCP then check to make sure your router is set to enable DHCP.

If all that looks good then check your physical cabling. Got a link light on each end? still no ping response? chuck the cable and use one that you know is good.

Chances are if you get a loopback response you've either got a bad cable or you've got the TCP settings wrong:

Static setup:
router setup
LAN IP: 192.168.1.1
Subnet: 255.255.255.0

PC1 setup
IP: 192.168.1.x (where x can be anything from 2 to 254)
GW: 192.168.1.1

PC2 setup
IP: 192.168.1.y (where y is not equal to x and is between 2 and 254)
GW: 192.168.1.1

try this and post back on your results ...

/edit: we want to troubleshoot the LAN side first. make sure your PC can talk on the local net before moving outward ...

/edit2: doh! if you're running win2k/XP make sure the network adapter is enabled - check under "network properties"

Mighty Max
21-11-03, 19:33
There is a bug in WinXP that might change the IP packetsize. That results in pingable and DNS able systems, but when it comes to HTTP-Protocol the packets arent big enough. (Should be 1500Bytes at standard)

I recently had this error myself, and since i dont really remember those registry keys, i used NetTweak Pro 2003 (download.com) to fix my system.

It might help in your situation too

Greets
MightyMax

Dissenter
21-11-03, 20:19
YES!!!

No idea what I did, No idea what caused it, but it works! muhahaha

g0rt
21-11-03, 20:40
Originally posted by Mighty Max
There is a bug in WinXP that might change the IP packetsize. That results in pingable and DNS able systems, but when it comes to HTTP-Protocol the packets arent big enough. (Should be 1500Bytes at standard)

I recently had this error myself, and since i dont really remember those registry keys, i used NetTweak Pro 2003 (download.com) to fix my system.

It might help in your situation too

Greets
MightyMax

Theres a big in WinXP alright. Its called windows XP. Hahaha I couldn't resist, come on noobs flame away. :p

ElfinLord
21-11-03, 20:41
Originally posted by g0rt
Theres a big in WinXP alright. Its called windows XP. Hahaha I couldn't resist, come on noobs flame away. :p
I thought it was Micsroshit!:D

RuriHoshino
21-11-03, 21:26
Originally posted by g0rt

:confused:
Why flame, it's only the truth?

(Grin, Duck and Run Fast) :D