PDA

View Full Version : Question to Rifle Spies

Sorin
21-11-03, 07:42
About tech rifles for spies during leveling.

I'm currently using a raygun rifle. The accuracy is complete and total sex. It's accuracy is not the slap in the face insult of most other recticle weapons. The raygun is so far my choice of tech weapon for leveling. I do most of my PvM as close as possible to my target, so I get the decent range bonus. I also use a sniper rifle just for kicks every now and again. But it's mostly the raygun I use in leveling.

I've tried the plasma rifles, but their accuracy is bullshit. Complete. Total. Bullshit. The damn things miss 33% of the time, usually more. And that's independant of my stats with it; both crap and capped. Gay.

So my question is what about fusion (before you point it out, yes I'm aware of the vice versa range bonus that fusion rifles have over raygun rifles) and laser? I tried the fusion pistols when I was a nooblet PE way back in January or February and it sucked bad so I dumped all fusion weapons and never looked back. So, how are the rifles? How's the rate of fire and the accuracy? How about rate of fire and accuracy for laser rifles? I don't want to go and build these things if they are just going to be a waste of time.

So Raygun owns. Plasma is gay. How is fusion and laser?

japata
21-11-03, 07:52
I think that the rare fusion and pulselaser rifles are quite good when hunting firemobs... otherwise they're pretty crappy. :)

trigger hurt
21-11-03, 08:03
Well, on the rifle spy I had just made before my account ran out (yes, I will renew), I was using the pulse laser rifles to level a little bit, but not much. When I needed that extra kick of dex quickly, I drugged up to use the highest TL one I could (around 90ish dex). After I got that next level, I went to ray of god. But getting there on him wasn't hard (he has 70 base dex now).

Honestly, fusion blows for leveling. I keep my redeemer around because it will be something useful for killing firemobs later on. If I remember correctly though, they nerfed the damage bonus you got with fusion from long range. Plasma rifles weren't that bad though. But you really need to be much closer than you want to be sometimes with the mobs you are leveling up on.

Sorin
21-11-03, 08:13
Oh yeah, Pulselaser too. I forgot about those. When I said laser I mean the regular laser rifles, not the pulse ones.

SorkZmok
21-11-03, 08:37
Fusion rifles are shit. They got a nice accuracy but the dmg they do sucks.
For laser rifles, a great one is the TT prototype laser rifle. The others dont do enough dmg for their TL.
Best by far are pulselaser rifles. A damn good range, great accuracy and good dmg. Also a nice RoF (222 cap).
I used pulselaser rifles all the time. They rock.
And for Rayguns, as soon as you can use a Doy Raygun, hit the swamp caves with a poison belt, filter heart, basic resist 2, heal sanctum and some antipoison drugs. XP heaven!

Lanigav
21-11-03, 10:18
Fusion rifles are nice for hunting warbies, since if you hunt them from the max possible distance, you'll do more damage to them than any other non-rare weapon. Now, as rares go, its a different story. Pain Easer or Silent Hunter will easily beat out the Redeemer for long-ranged combat (or so I've heard, as I'm working on getting a Redeemer to test for myself).

Still, fusion rifles aren't as good as they should be, and the damage needs to be increased.

Normal laser rifles are also nice since they have no kick-back, but the damage on them is rather blah. Pulselaser rifles are effective, and basically serve as the tech alternative to assualt rifles in pretty much every way, though they do slightly more damage (at least as the rare version is concerned).

g0rt
21-11-03, 10:28
I personally think fusion and laser rifles are better then anything for leveling a spy...rayguns main problem is the damage is crap from far away, and usually with a spy you want to be far away from your target...unless you're in the chaos caves or something of the sort.

The redeemer is an absolutely amazing weapon. At max range you can do insane damage, take down a WB extremely quickly...it fires fast, it rarely misses, and it damages well. Great, great leveling weapon. The tangent epic rifle is, like every epic weapon, absolutely amazing for leveling because it is 120 all and extremely easy to cap. The healing light is also amazing for leveling.

Morris
21-11-03, 10:50
The Redeemer is pretty good for taking down warbots and hoverbots (also firemobs if you can actually get decent distance from them). Under most circumstances though, you're better off with a good Pain Easer or (when getting closer to cap) Disruptor. Once you cap, you can downspec from Disruptor if you're not planning on being a sniper since that's all it's good for, really. Before then it's great xp since it really tears through mobs quickly both at a distance and up close.

g0rt
21-11-03, 10:52
Originally posted by Morris
The Redeemer is pretty good for taking down warbots and hoverbots (also firemobs if you can actually get decent distance from them). Under most circumstances though, you're better off with a good Pain Easer or (when getting closer to cap) Disruptor. Once you cap, you can downspec from Disruptor if you're not planning on being a sniper since that's all it's good for, really. Before then it's great xp since it really tears through mobs quickly both at a distance and up close.

Disruptor outdamages the first love face-to-face.

Still think its for snipers only? :p

Yes, the Pain Easer is a great weapon...but like the first love it misses one hell of a lot...and it doesn't seem like this guy is a big fan of missing his shots. I say leave the TL93 rifles to the PE's, you wanna go big game with a spy. ;)

SorkZmok
21-11-03, 11:44
Originally posted by Morris
Once you cap, you can downspec from Disruptor if you're not planning on being a sniper since that's all it's good for, really.
Nothing beats the Disruptor when it comes to pvp. Abolutely nothing! Its got damn fast aiming and barely never misses. That combined with zero recoil and a huge clip makes it superiour to every other rifle. The FL might do more dmg in close combat but its a bitch to aim and burst bonus doesnt help shit when you alway miss half your shots....
Also the clips are way too small and 1 clip can easily eat up your whole stamina. Maybe with 20 shots per clip the FL might stand a chance but i doubt it.

Conclusion: Disruptor > ALL > FL
Also in PvM btw ;)

Morris
21-11-03, 12:01
No argument about the PvM aspect... even an uncapped Dis will make short work of a giant hoverbomber. But if you're fighting in close range, the defensive hit you take by using FL/Disruptor (basically sacrificing Inq armor) makes the RoG more worth your while. In fact, unless you take 2 drugs to slap on a PA3 (and put it back on every time you GR or get rezzed), you can't even use it. The question was about PvM though, and I never liked SH for that (mainly used Disruptor for reasons outlined above :)).

This is my personal experience (which is rather insignificant compared to most of you, I admit), so of course YMMV :D

AxeMan
21-11-03, 12:05
ive tried the tangent sniper but i dont think its as good as the stabber pulselaser rifle, when you compare rof with the damge each does the stabber works out a little better over time, besides i can never get used to the scope arrangement on the sniper

for close work i use the doy rifle.

as you can see i dont use rares (yet). but the plasma sucks. fusion is ok'ish but not as good as the above. they really ought to make it area effect then it would have some use

Rizzy
21-11-03, 13:32
I gotta vote disruptor too if you want to use that type of setup but I know some equally successful setups based around the RoG :) Don't touch the first love with a 10ft bargepole

Ehyuko
21-11-03, 15:03
Personally I leveled and hunt with a tt epic and healing light, they cap in RoF around 174 or so and almost never miss - something that pulselasers often do. Until you are close to capping the damage/rof on a pulselaser I'd say stick with a pure laser rifle for hunting purposes, while the do less damage, the fact they almost never miss makes up for it - plus they will have about the same RoF [give or take 30] until you come closer to capping them.

IceStorm
21-11-03, 17:00
TT Epic w/ ammo mod. It never breaks, fires fast, reloads fast, easy to cap RoF and Damage on, ammo's light, the weapon itself is light, and it deals out enough damage over time to keep two warbots running away from you at the same time, and enough DoT to keep up to four from storming your position before you can backpedal.

Fusion rifles are almost as good, but the longer their range, the worse off you are. Because the engine clipping plane comes before the max range on things like Redeemer and the LB2, you'll never get the max damage. Best thing to do is keep the range down to around 1000m at the most. Get their RoF up and they'll hold off two or three Warbots just as well as the TT Epic. Downside is all the fusion rifles are heavy.

Spy<VS>Spy
21-11-03, 17:16
Well me myself, i think all laser rifles suck...they fire kinda slow and dont do much damage at all. good for long range. heck the sure shot is still the snipers choice for mobbing.

Now pulse laser rifles, are a different story's, this sexy weapon gets a nice burst fire ability and all the range and accuracy of a laser gun. rarely ever does it miss AND you can fire it while on the move like the raygun. the disruptor is a very fine PvP weapon too.

Fusion...well...yeah...fusion sucks. its no good, you have to be at extream range...i mean, you cant see the target, just have a targetting box. it fires slow...and its not very accurate. most say it is, but its really not. its got a ten round clip. go target a hopper from extream range or warbot. count how many you hit. chances are 4 out of your 10 shots per clip will vear off and miss. allowing only a 60% accuracy. even the redeamer, does the less damage of all the rare guns, they simply do less damage over time.

now, they are not complete crap...but there are much better things to use.

we can only hope that the plasma rifles are improved more...or we get a plasma 'beam' like the tanks are gona get.

icarium
21-11-03, 19:05
IMO you cant get better than the TT epic rifle for levelling. has uber range and respectable damage and can be repped to 120% every time.

greendonkeyuk
21-11-03, 21:53
Originally posted by icarium
IMO you cant get better than the TT epic rifle for levelling. has uber range and respectable damage and can be repped to 120% every time.

and you cant lose it if you get ganked while hacking......

Other than that listen to wat sorkZmok said, he knows his shit.

SPY POWAH!!!

nonamebrandeggs
21-11-03, 22:17
Raygun is the best kthx.

FuzzyDuck
21-11-03, 23:20
can't be arsed reading what others have put however imo:

Fusion Rifles (including Redeemer) are shite.

Laser Rifles (including Healing Light) are total shite.

Plasma Rifles (including First Love) are amazing.

RayGun Rifles (including Ray of God) are uber amazing.

J. Folsom
21-11-03, 23:24
If you want completely crazy accuracy laser's probably the best choice, with pulse laser having higher damage but some less accuracy.

I've personally always liked using a raygun and fusion rifle for hunting; fusion rifle for when the mobs are far away, then switch over to the raygun once they get close.

g0rt
21-11-03, 23:29
Originally posted by nonamebrandeggs
Raygun is the best kthx.

ya that whole 80 dmg the rog does to a warbot from far away is just too uber for me :rolleyes:

good for close ranged pvp tho thats for sure

floyd
22-11-03, 17:41
Gotta be the Disruptor hasn't it. V accurate, V powerful, lovely RoF - what more do you want?

Well... I want a plasma rifle that hits the target occasionally...

One other thing - everyone knows most plasma weapons have stupidly small clip sizes. Ok, they're getting bigger (maybe) on the TS, but still. I think I have a different solution...

Does anyone remember if you could get an "expanded clip" mod for weps which let you load a whole pack instead of just half? I'm sure it existed early on in retail. Maybe it was just a dream. But if it did exist, why not bring it back - Keeps both sides of the argument happy: bigger clips... BUT: if you want to fire more without reloading, you got to use up a slot to do so. No-one complains. And frankly, if you get a good FL, that mod would be way more useful than most of the other mods (except ammo mod).

If it was a dream: Put it in.

Eledhbrant
22-11-03, 18:12
Pulselaser rifle, on to TT epic rifle, on to Pain Easer

was pretty quick

Liquid_Ice
22-11-03, 19:35
The main thing is TL.. The higher you use the more exp you gain.. Thou I don't care much for the plasma it does get more accurate near cap. Just keep that in mind as you don't want to gimp your exp with a weapon that is way under your TL abilities