PDA

View Full Version : Does Age Effect Your Ability To Play Neocron

PenguinNick
21-11-03, 06:30
A simple question, do you think that age has an effect on how good you are. IE do you think a 16 year old could be just as good as a 30 year old or vice versa?

QuantumDelta
21-11-03, 06:40
I would say age does not matter.

iainy13
21-11-03, 06:41
Im 15 and have beatin lots of people older then me. Im also in a cs clan. So no i dont think so.

NeoChick
21-11-03, 06:58
In some ways I think age does matter and in other ways it does not. I believe it is not the actual age in years but the maturity of the person. As we have learnt, even a 45 year old can be a total idiot and childish and immature, eccentric and a sicko.

Also the character of the person counts, I think. Some people are honest, others are not, some are selfish, others are not, some are helpful, others are not, some are assholes, others are not etc etc etc

wolfwood
21-11-03, 07:01
why would it matter in the first place ???????

japata
21-11-03, 07:56
Of course age matters, but there are other things that matter too. ie. previous MMORPG experience.

First of all, limbic and motoric system isn't fully developed until the person is about 20 yrs. Secondly, people over about 35 and under 15 haven't had as much experience with online gaming as people aged around 20.

So in conclusion: age does matter, though we must take personality, devotion and mental age into account.

Shadow Dancer
21-11-03, 08:01
Well I doubt a 90 yr old would be as good at PvP as a 20 yr old. :p

SorkZmok
21-11-03, 08:07
Originally posted by Shadow Dancer
Hehe well apart from 90 year olds i dont think age doesnt affect anything.
I have been beaten by ppl of all ages. What err does not mean i'm bad at PvP.
Whats way more important is the way ppl behave. I preffer to loose to a 90 year old whos cool than to guy of any other age who behaves like the 13 year CS kid clichee.

But i tend to turn into one of em when i'm too drunk while playing....:D :D

QuantumDelta
21-11-03, 08:52
considering what i observed of my own abilities in gaming...
I believe I actually "peaked" at about 16.

I do not feel that, while my tactical and strategic knowledge for games of all types is at it's all time high, my reaction speeds, and reflexes are as good as they were.

My ability to predict my enemy is stronger than ever too, and I tell you what, it's friggin useful to know exactly what your PPU target is going to do next :p

Jaenus
21-11-03, 09:43
It only matters as when you get older you don't have so much time to play. This lets all the young slackers get better than you, and you can't do much about it.

But lets face it, older = more money, independence etc. I can live with being "pwned" once in a while ;)

Lanigav
21-11-03, 10:47
Well, I know a 12 year old that plays the game, and I honestly think it does affect his ability to play. He still has a hard time grasping stuff I learned a few weeks after playing. ;) I think the age <--> skill difference curbs off at around 14/15.

I do think that age affects how a person plays though when it comes to maturity. Its been my observation that older players are less likely to go on pking raids in the aggie sewers (not to say that none of them do of course :p) and the like. They're also much better at typing and grammar. ;)

g0rt
21-11-03, 11:01
It doesn't affect the game at all.

Some will say that age affects how 'mature' the person is, I also don't agree with this. In fact its downright annoying when people call me 12 years old because im flaming on them. Age has a small amount of play in ones maturity, but if you are under 30 years old I believe its completely dependant on the person.

I for one am about as mature as a 10 year old and im 22. Ill freely admit it, I don't see anything FUN about being big mr. mature in a fucking GAME. Sorry. Age means shit.

ajm
21-11-03, 12:06
Originally posted by QuantumDelta
My ability to predict my enemy is stronger than ever too, and I tell you what, it's friggin useful to know exactly what your PPU target is going to do next :p

So, you're actually the Battousai in real life, too?

Parker
21-11-03, 12:06
It depends on what aspect of the game your referring to :

PvP - the psychologists tell us 20-21 is the ideal age due to reflexes and hand eye coordination but i don't think there is that much difference here - NC isn't that sophisticated a combat system (and system speed probably overrules any effects)

Leading a clan? Probably old is good - maturity certainly is.
Organising an op takeover - maturity again. Trading for rares? maturity again (you tend to tell somebody's age when they ask for a 4 slot cs for that construction 1 chip you need) etc. etc.

Dealing with the typical crap on trade-nc? immaturity is a definite bonus.

JP (old f**ker)

p.s. before anybody says - yes plenty of assholes at all ages.

Rizzy
21-11-03, 13:29
I would say your ability to play this game depends more on your knowledge of it and how long you have been playing it moreso then your age.

21-11-03, 13:50
Originally posted by japata
people over about 35 and under 15 haven't had as much experience with online gaming as people aged around 20.

Wrong! I used to play MOHAA Realism mod when I was 14 and I was with the best of Benelux.

Original monk
21-11-03, 13:55
i aint talking about anything to do with age no more in neocron, or drikie gets mad at me and i dont like that a nice girl is mad at me, so in this thread i keep my mouth wisely shut ...

21-11-03, 14:12
Originally posted by Original monk
i aint talking about anything to do with age no more in neocron, or drikie gets mad at me and i dont like that a nice girl is mad at me, so in this thread i keep my mouth wisely shut ...

He's male in RL ...

TheDuckMan
21-11-03, 14:37
I think age doesnt mean anything. I can kill a few people myself and they're way over 20. Also I dont think clan leading requires age. The average teenager its smarter then teenagers 20-30 years ago. Also state of mind helps. Like is the clan leader very passive or very agressive. I tend to find an agressive clan leader will see more success. So overall IMO i dont think age matters. But maybe thats because i am 16. If I was older maybe my outlook on this issue would be different.

Oath
21-11-03, 14:41
I wanna be mature here and say no age doesnt matter, but i'd be lying.

Seems that the older you get the worse you seem to be heh.

I remember getting owned by a 12 year old lol, wich was lame.

Sad fact is they adapt more to it, and make better players.

dr.fish
21-11-03, 14:45
i've just noticed more older people to like more pvp than others ..

QuantumDelta
21-11-03, 14:50
Originally posted by ajm
So, you're actually the Battousai in real life, too?
My name games are always relevent.
Very well spotted ;)

ezza
21-11-03, 14:52
yeah age matters you have to be a l33t kiddie to pwn.... or somthing like that:p

Lecko
21-11-03, 14:57
Originally posted by SorkZmok
But i tend to turn into one of em when i'm too drunk while playing....:D :D

I think this is the real "nail on the head" here. Does alcohol affect your ability to play Neocron?

Sure I get back on a Friday and play, but then wake up Saturday afternoon and log in to find myself dead in pepper park having run around like a man possessed the night before "pwning" people with my far from "l33t" uberskills. :lol: :lol: :lol:

So age should affect my ability, if 1)I'm following the law and 2)I drink heavily and play.

Cubico
21-11-03, 15:08
Hi,

of course age matters.

I am over 30 and suck at PvP as I think that younger runners has better reflexes.
Also, its no longer too important for me to be good in killing others, thats not the first reason why I play this game.

Also, older people often have a job and family and therefore cant play that often than the leet teenagers.
So you dont have the best weapons, dont have a capped char etc.

A good clan leader does not need to be the best in PvP, but he should have a talent to organize things. IMO this requires maturity.

{MD}GeistDamnit
21-11-03, 15:12
Age matters. I know for a FACT that younger people do better. like my little cousin who is 14 and beat's every game in half the time I can, and just owns everyone in Counter Strike,UT2003 and Deus ex MP :p

and other young people run rings around me too, now you would think experience counts , but in videogames it dosent.I'm just too old and not as fast or as responsive as a 16 year old :D

the best skill age is 15 to about 19 tops.

Lexxuk
21-11-03, 15:17
Not at all, I'm 3 years shy of 30, I can kick ass in CS, HL. TFC, Unreal etc. It used to be without even trying, I'd stand around chatting away with everyone, then kill some people, and 95% of the time, end up either number 1 or 2. Even recently I played CS again, and my name was 1st 2nd.

Same is true with NC, cept I need to practice more with my aiming, which I do with Kyle <3, soon as I've put in the practice, I'll win more, its like riding a motorbike, you dont start out being able to pull wheelies, or getting ur heroblob scrapin the deck, but u get there in the end.

ezza
21-11-03, 15:21
in all honesty i dont think being younger helps that much, after a old guy like me(22:o )killed a Pe judging by his endless spammage of my direct id say he was about 10, guess his age didnt help him much:D

Nexxy
21-11-03, 15:39
Escape is like 90, so na age doesnt matter....

Lexxuk
21-11-03, 15:47
Originally posted by Nexxy
Escape is like 90, so na age doesnt matter....

actually, he's 85, but he only has one arm and one eye :p

boone
21-11-03, 15:49
of course it matters.

nonamebrandeggs
21-11-03, 15:50
Oh come on, you know my spy pimps you all.

Does that answer your question?

ezza
21-11-03, 15:51
Originally posted by nonamebrandeggs

no

Lexxuk
21-11-03, 16:00
Originally posted by nonamebrandeggs

yes

(in a non spam more than one word reply)

superfresh
21-11-03, 16:40
Originally posted by Shadow Dancer

Speaking for us 90 year olds, I've had no trouble tearing up the pipsqueaks. As long as I've gotten my fiber.

Original monk
21-11-03, 17:04
Originally posted by #151988
He's male in RL ...

If the person in question has all female chars, then i will RP against her she is female, no matter if she is male, female or whatever irl, i think that bout 99% of the "girls" in neocron are males irl but this wont make me say "him" when i talk to a female char :)

if ya wonna know what i think about ages: look for the minors and visa thread: and see how much shit i got with the thread, for example from you tir: you got edited in that thread like 5 times or so :) for flamin that is :) and i dont want that kind of bull again :)

Sigma
21-11-03, 19:42
I would say age does not matter.

Dribble Joy
21-11-03, 19:52
Motor and twitch reaction wise, anywhere from 14-30.
Experiance and knowledge of how people will react to things you do (and how to exploit that) will grow throughout ones life time.

Oringinally posted by QuantumDelta
My ability to predict my enemy is stronger than ever too

Will be true as long as you observe and learn from ... life.
Knowing how to react and forcing reactions is key.

Felissa
21-11-03, 20:18
Age definitely effect your ability to play neocron: If you are too young, you are not allowed ;)

But besides that the physical age is not that big matter, no matter if you look at the PvP side or the roleplay part. For the second one you have to be more grown up in your mind, I think, but I also knew 16 year olds who are very good at RP, and 30+ year olds who are not good in roleplaying a char.

Okay, maybe if you are older than 50 or 60 you will not be fast enough for PvP...

JackScratch
24-11-03, 01:14
The responces to this post are so very typical. Someone asks "does age effect your ability to play Neocron?" In true faction, everyone assumes that this means raw PvP skill. I believe there is a whole lot more to this question, and certainly Neocron. I can tell you without question that their is a maturaty difference with age. I can also tell you that older players are far better at co-operative work. This game has a somewhat mature theme as well.

Dont Mess
24-11-03, 03:52
I REMEMBER the day on TS it was me sanchos revs and our best 50 year old mate HOGAN rite we were talking about nd rite and he said RITE i dnt think rizzy is a good leader coz his to young rite dont now how thins work 2 imature...i so wanted 2 call him a twat and say u idiot how many other 50 year olds play this game its a game things most young pple play so no plus i know a 10 year old that plays and he kicks ass. gosh i aint said RITE in a long time.

Cyphor
24-11-03, 04:36
Actually playing the game no (well unless your VERY young, doubt many five year olds can work a pc that well :p )

However this is a community based game so i would say maturity can effect how you contribute and what you get out of the game.

NB: i said maturity not age, some younger players are more mature than those twice their age, it just happens that they are more likely in the minority in their age group.

NB2:On contribution; the way i see it if your paying to play a mmorpg like a fps your wasting your money, those that will get the most out of the game are those who can communicate well with people, you will have good fun in a clan etc as people wont find you unbearable to be around :p . People who spam crap or speak 1337 constantly and in general have problems stringing a proper sentence together arent going to make alot friend (they'll just get on peoples nerves). Therefore they wont be getting the most out of the game.

-FN-
24-11-03, 12:21
I voted Yes, age matters, and for two reasons.

Physiologically, a younger person would have an extensive amount of "training" on a PC and, in most cases, has a faster reflex/coordination time to play. Two APUs dueling, an 18 year old and a 48 year old, my money is on the 18 year old.

Mentally, older players will really devote to the life of games like Neocron because of their ability to actually act responsibly and play in a mature manner. What I find now is SXR has a good number of older players and we all communicate well with each other and we follow rules that we lay down. There are many other adolescent players in NC who you can just tell are 12-15 year old kids by the vulgarity and sheer out-of-line behaviour they exude.

However, the real question, "does age effect your ability to play Neocron" has an answer of no. Anyone can PLAY it :p and by play I mean sit at the PC and have fun in the game. Playing well with others and playing the game in a community sense are completely different animals and pertain more to my answer than simply playing in general.

Just my two cents :)

(Btw, it would be cool if people posted their ages here after their reply to see what age ranges have what perspectives. I'm 23.)

JackScratch
24-11-03, 19:19
LOL, Hey FN, based on our interaction last night, care to guess my age? I tend to agree with you though, most of TechSyn is a little older as well, I feel it gives us and edge, with severe drawbacks. There is the reflex thing to be sure, you just can't beat 15 year old reflexes (or can you? FORTITUDINE VINCIMUS). On the other hand, we are talking about forces of nature here. Ever wonder why a megaclan seems to come with a shelf life? And of course, then you have the fact that 90% of the people that play this damn game, want to take an in depth socio political game and turn it into a scrimage FPS like CS. Ive been fighting that crap since retail release. How many minors out there think that the best way to change the dynamics of the game is to persue those changes politicly in game rather than cry NERF on the forums? My clan is anti Random PK, yet I have never even suggested the game mechanics be changed to facilitate that. Instead we persue the PKers themselves. It takes a mature mind to look past the game, and actualy see people, a blessing and a curse.

naimex
24-11-03, 21:41
sitting at a net cafe atm, so didnt have time to read all of the thread, but here is my honest opinion ::

Age does NOT affect your ability to play NeoCron but it affects the way you solve situations, and the way you act in general.. if a 10 year old kid goes around KOSing everything.. then its age.. if a 50 year old does this, its mentality.. however we often see that age doesnt necessary mean wise or able to act with a sense of decency.. but it certainly gives an advantage in some parts of the game.. it is seen that 15>X runners are more RP'ing/non KOS'ing than some X>15 runners....

.. I don't mind people killing me constantly.. if they just have a damn good reason.. but i do mind it when 7x/xx runners kill a 1x/1x runner just because being in a certain clan or simply just at the wrong place at the wrong time....

So age does NOT affect your ability to play.. it is but one of the many things that take part in what actions you choose and thereby how "YOU" (your character's image) appears to the rest of the runners..

I am 19 (in case some of you are wondering.. hmm.. how old is this sucker)

Ormy
25-11-03, 00:05
Im 14, and i suck

But thats just NC i think, hell i used to pwn in quake 2 and CS when i was 12 lol. And i still pwn in SoF 2 (if i can get it to work, it won't install atm)

IMO people generalise. The last MMORPG i played (JumpGate) people would say to me "wtf, ur 13? and you dont always use 1337 speak like a twit, you dont randomly shoot everything, and you sound perfectly mature to me. Ur 13?" lol.

Only got that from one guy in neocron :rolleyes:

notneo
25-11-03, 17:07
idont know about u guys but i been doing martial arts for 15 years and my reactions are better now than when i was a 17 year old sprog,whom i can genearally kick butt,off course i dont cus i dont believe in beating up newbs.my point training your reflexes and experience can overcome these sprogs.
then again the average working man has to work to pay the bills etc not sit in the pub like most students

Xylaz
25-11-03, 18:13
yeah, age matters quite a lot. Young people are usually (yeah, *usually*) not very patient so their learning curve is quite fast but very limited (they tend to choose the easiest, thus, fastest way). On the other hand, they usually spend enormous amounts of time in the game which gives them a lot of practise.
Older people *usually* have less time to play but are pretty experienced and much more patient which give them big advantage in a time...

I'd say that manual reflex doesn't change with age (well, unless you are 60 years old... but again it would rather be the result of lack of gaming experience and not the age itself).

So, the conclusion is IMO: most people will use their age as advantage (both younger and the older ones), although older people *tend* to be better in a long run (again, mostly due to their former gaming experience)

And yeah, i'm pretty old (27 or something like that, i don't count...) and i tend to be better... uhm, in a long run...

az

NeoChick
26-11-03, 00:30
I know I run into danger of being flamed totally by the female population BUT

I think that men are better at PVP than most women because they have more 'toughness' built into them and more 'ruthlessness' whereas women hesitate a bit and feel sorry for the enemy more easily

OK I may be wrong and am a female myself but that is how I see it

With age I do believe that a lot of kids have different ideas about gaming in the way that many will probably be more interested in just going out there to PVP, PK etc because that is more like playing Mario brothers and it does not require much thinking. Also it would give them a great high in feeling powerful whereas older players - I mean in the area of +/- 20 would take these things in their stride

Spoon
26-11-03, 01:09
With age comes experience........

nuff said....

btw, I've been playing video games for nearly 30 years.....

I can kick both my sons' asses' at CS.....

Sigma constantly accused me of h@x0ring when we played CS on LAN.......:lol:

Age>RL n00bs

NeoChick
26-11-03, 01:21
Spoon I agree with you, I have seen you in action :)

zii
26-11-03, 02:32
Level of maturity, experiences and your current disposition at the time will always affect the way you act. So, yes age does matter, but not nessecarily in a negative way.

My tuppence worth.

BlackDove
26-11-03, 02:37
It matters.

TheEnemy
26-11-03, 05:17
If you generalize and look at the whole playerbase, you might find the best players in their early 20s or so. So statistically, a 14 year old is probably going to be less able, a 20 year old is probably going to be a good player, and a 30 year old is probably going to be less able. But this is only a generalization, you cannot say all 20 year olds are good or all 14 year olds are bad. There are good 14 year old players and bad 20 year old players. It depends on the individual ability of the player - age may help determine those abilities, eg. a 14 year old's motoric system is not developed fully, but he can still have better motoric abilities than a particular 20 year old.

Sanch0s
26-11-03, 09:54
Dont Mess I REMEMBER the day on TS it was me sanchos revs and our best 50 year old mate HOGAN rite we were talking about nd rite and he said RITE i dnt think rizzy is a good leader coz his to young rite dont now how thins work 2 imature...i so wanted 2 call him a twat and say u idiot how many other 50 year olds play this game its a game things most young pple play so no plus i know a 10 year old that plays and he kicks ass. gosh i aint said RITE in a long time.

LOL :p

I dont think age affects PvP skills or anything else in the game if theyre mature enough, except for resists and setups where maybe someone wiser would be better??

Spectra260
26-11-03, 09:58
well im 18 now, when i was 15-16 i was 2 times better at FPS games like CS and stuff...

i suck at them now:(

NeoChick
26-11-03, 10:08
We don't really have a measure of how 'older' people over say 40 are as players because there are not as many to compare.

Computer games is a relatively new thing and a lot of people say 40,45 etc are kind of scared of computers, even though others that age took to it like fish to water. But I remember a secretary in a company I worked for who refused to switch to computers and even had a hard time with her electric typewriter, she preferred manual. She was about 60 though.

In my company they think it is incredibly funny that I love computer games, they kind of have the perception that it is a thing children do

When all of you guys who are now 14-25 say are about 40 or 50 you'll probably be a lot better than the new 'kids' of 14-20 will be then

I wish the old retired people learnt about computer games, it would be so good for them to keep their mind active and they have all the time in the world to play in their retirement. Sometimes I think I'll go and visit retirement homes and teach those oldies about computer games

QuantumDelta
26-11-03, 10:17
I intend to Neochick :p

lol, gaming should be an olympic sport.
Damit :D
computer gaming is probably the most popular sport in the world :>

Shadow Dancer
26-11-03, 10:32

lol, gaming should be an olympic sport.

uhhh...........

*has visions*

Reporter-"So Mr.Delta how does it feel to get the award for World's Best Sharpshooter in a FPS?

QuantumDelta-"It feels great. My energy level is through the roof, i'm feeling pumped. I'd like to thank Xantor, Rabbi Fang, Goku, DBZ OWNZ YOU HI MOM, I'd like to thank my opponent for giving me a challenge and-

Rade-"STFU NOOB I lagged..."

QuantumDelta-"lmao, don't be mad. One time my PE took on an entire clan-"

VetteroX-"Tanks are for pussies"

Reporter-"What? Tanks? Who the hell are you?"

VetteroX-"I OWNED you at TH QD"

Reporter-"........"

*shakes his head*

Please no...........

L0KI
26-11-03, 11:45
XaNToR of Uranus is living proof that age doesnt necessarily matter

14, just turned 15 i believe!

Speaks good english and pwns 99% of the time.

Kimiko
26-11-03, 13:35
Everyone is unique, though people can fall into general categories. Neochicks statement about women being worse at PvP (or similar) seems to be generally true (with exceptions to the rule). Whether we lack a certain drive or what, I don't know. I get a satisfaction out of killing in a game, but I'm not very good at it.

As a whole, age does not make a difference to your ability to play Neocron.

JackScratch
26-11-03, 19:32
OK, poit onem everyone here knows we are debateing a tendancy, no need to point it out. Each person will achieve a level of skill based on his or her abilities, desire, and devotion.

That said, the enemy has just given his perspective on the game, entire. You assume that this is CS, a simple FPS, as have many of you. In the event that you cant get past this view, you are missing the entire point of the game. OK, so you can beat anyone in PvP, or maybe any 2, possibly any 3, but this is exponential growth, at what point do you start loseing, how many noobs do you have to face at once before you start loseing? How many leveled runners, before you have no chance at all? The thing I am trying to point out here, is that if you are an island, then the water is riseing. If you make enemies, you will need friends. This game is sooooo much more than PvP, and yet that is all anyone talks about. The questin begs for much more of an answer than is being given here, but then so does the game itself.

SO youve decided to enter the world of NeoCron, and yet all you do is run around looking for your next victim, this can only have 2 results, and neither is good for you. You will either turn this into CS, and get bored, or you will turn the world of NC against you. There are those, like myself, who see, and use the power of the word. The saying "The pen is mightier than the Sword" isnt far wrong here. No one likes to lose, but to what lengths does this carry. Those who are "uber" will for brief lived aliances. But figure the statistics, there are more people who aren't uber, than are, by the very use of the word. What about them? If they group together, they will outnumber, and overpower the uber effortlessly. So, who wins? The uber are better, but they lose, doesnt make much sense does it?

We all need to stop thinking of this game linearly as we have, and start takeing in the big picture. This is a sociopolitical game, and the winners will be the best in that arena, not PvP.

KimmyG
26-11-03, 20:04
I have to disagree a few skilled PK runners can fuck up a large number of talkers and solicites.

I do recall myself and the bad dorito himself schooling a clan. Then on an other occasion we schooled them a again with our little 3 man clan wich they claimed could do nothing but fail cause we didn't have there numbers.

g0rt
26-11-03, 20:14
Originally posted by KimmyG
I have to disagree a few skilled PK runners can fuck up a large number of talkers and solicites.

I do recall myself and the bad dorito himself schooling a clan. Then on an other occasion we schooled them a again with our little 3 man clan wich they claimed could do nothing but fail cause we didn't have there numbers.

Hahah good times.

sira
26-11-03, 21:26
voted it does matter
for the reason that u most likely get a wider perspective
on the game the older u get -

beeing good in PvP is not the same as
beeing good at playing NC

if u think NC is all about killing other runners
u might aswell play a game that is really all about killing
to proof how "good" u are and hopefully see a difference to NC

Delloda
27-11-03, 02:19
Age is not really a concern when playing nc unless you're completely passed it, have tunnel vision and got the shakes due to old age.

i would say "mental" age is far more important that "physical"age when it comes to resolving situation.

I spoken to ppl in-game that are aged 20-30 but act like 14 year olds and 15 year olds that seem like they are much older.

you can almost always estimate a players age by their initial methods of dealing with a situation. But then some things can only be resolved with a good old fashioned dust up.