PDA

View Full Version : A little help. not sure if my pc or neocron is borked....

Doc Holliday
21-11-03, 00:52
Guys. need help. im gettin some sever fucked up stuff goin off with neocron at the mo. let me explain. i keep getting booted out of game like a boot to desktop fatal but the pc keeps going. it shuts down the machine and reboots. i wait for it to boot. i log on and the keyboard is frozen im frozen cant tab move walk or anything. im then forced to fully reboot as i cant even ctrl alt delete to get out. i get in and 5 or 10 mins later its fucked again. it does it over. someone said ms blast might be the prob. i tried virus checkers and stuff which im running. i know i need a reliable fire wall software although the hub im running off of is supposed to have a built in one. im running win2k pro and i have used all available updates on it service packs etc. anyone got any more suggestions barring a full reinstall. if thats what it will take say so but anythin i can do in the mean time???

iainy13
21-11-03, 01:06
try tunning other 3D games like half-life er somthin. Also run dxdiag an do the tests for your card. I had this exact same problem an found my card's mem was burnt. An still is 4 that matter :(

retr0n
21-11-03, 01:07
well my guess would be it's your pc and not neocron...
boot into "Safe Mode" and try to run the ms.blaster removale tool
you can find on any anti virus site. I got the blaster myself and the
anti virus softare couldn't find it + the tool i downloaded couldn't
remove it untill i entered safe mode...

might be worth a shot.

ericdraven
21-11-03, 01:11
Well you can see in the taskmanager (processes) if you got the Blaster Worm.

Doc Holliday
21-11-03, 01:17
tried that eric. nothin came up on there but thanks. tried the blaster removal shit as well. do u guys mean boot in to safe mode. then run it?

iainy13
21-11-03, 01:23
if its not in the task manager you dont have the worm... so no need to boot in safe. If you dont know what i mean by run dxdiag i mean this

START/RUN/dxdiag/display tab/ then run the 3 tests. If any freezes your comp up its prob your video card. Installing your video drivers might be a good idea. ALso while you are in dxdiag go to directx files tab an check the bottem to see if it says all files are ok.

QuantumDelta
21-11-03, 01:23
Safe mode loads a much, much simpler version of windows, much less drivers are loaded.

Safe mode can more reliably make changes to the system because you can often circumvent operations allowing you to remove them...
(certain windows fills, certain virii, and other things are programmed so you can't remove them in "normal" windows mode...)

I'd run the DXDiag and see what it says.... then run trillan anti virus house call (search anti virus house call on google, it'll come up)..

Uhh....tbh I can't be sure what it is but it sounds like your NC exaughsts system resources when it dies...
so....maybe bad RAM? (maybe? like, really out on a limb here.. I'd have a better clue if I could fiddle but ...meh...:p)

Doc Holliday
21-11-03, 01:57
ok i tried safe mode. didnt do n e thing. have already used trend micro virus scan. no virus found at all. dx checked out all ok. ran all tests. any other ideas?

QuantumDelta
21-11-03, 02:00
Do you play games other than Neocron?
If so - Do they do this?

If not - copy your patch folder and try to reinstall (reboot after you uninstall before you reinstall).

Hermmmmmmmmmmmmm......

graphics drivers/graphics card = ?

Doc Holliday
21-11-03, 02:04
ok qd i can see u are on the case. thanks for the advice. its a geforce card cant remember exact model. i have played other games but not since this problem has happened. this has only occured in last 2 days or so tbh. gonna try reinstall this w/e i reckon. when i can disks back of a mate who lost his :rolleyes:

QuantumDelta
21-11-03, 02:06
In that case
Tonight, before you get off the comp, run a scandisc at full depth.
When you sleep, leave it defragging every drive.

Come back in the morning / when ever, test it...

If it still does it, reinstall :p

NC likes fragging o_O

Doc Holliday
21-11-03, 02:39
thanks mate.

iainy13
21-11-03, 02:49
what are your computer specs?

Oath
21-11-03, 02:54
Logon to pluto, cos uranus is pretty borked.

se if it still happens there.

Doc Holliday
21-11-03, 02:55
its just done it again. boooted out game to reboot mode. this time it got stuck in a loop of flashin a blue screen and then rebooting again. its starting to seem like a hardware problem to me to be honest guys. i got it to boot again and it went into bios. a message was on screen bout setting mhz speed for the processor as it hung before with an improper speed. fuck knows what that means.

iany im running win 2k 2ghz chip athlon with a A7v8x board. 512mb ddr 1700 mhz ram. er geforce card geoforce 2. what else u need to know? sound card is a sb audigy. rest is the usual shit people have on there pc's.

lol oathie. i got doc on pluto. hes 0/2 tho. it hurts. :p

Edit. ok its rebooted TWICE out of game so it cant be neocron thats at fault thats for sure. anyone think it would be a short circuit problem. power supply or something. any ideas

iainy13
21-11-03, 03:44
mmm well why not try another vid card? as i said be4 i had the exact same prob. try usin dxdiag an turnin tecture axel of in display. it should launch the nc loadin screen then. for me it was all screwy but it still loaded. also do you get sound?

]v[ortice
21-11-03, 13:57
Post up the info u get from the Blue Screens.

U'll prolly get a diff message every time but some examples would help.

If you're gettin a lot of addresses coming up like "000003EFF" etc, it could be memory leakage.

If you think it's a hardware problem, take the lid off your box and reseat all of your cards and RAM etc. (Not Proccy that will be fine). Boot it up, enter your BIOS and save and exit, then let it run to windows. Leave it running for about 30 mins then try Max Payne... play a couple of levels then switch to Neo and tell us what happens

What QD said about the defrag and stuff is a good idea but it doesn't sound like your storage media is the problem.

I would also go to Windows update and download everything you haven't already got from there. Might be a missing hotfix or security patch you need.

I'll send BM to the forum when i get home from work also, cos it's his job to fix this sorta thing in real life. He's bailed me out before now :)

Legoias
21-11-03, 14:29
Try replacing your stick of RAM with another (borrow some from a mate) or if you have 2 x 256mb modules take one out try the PC out. Switch between them to test.

The reason problems are more likely to show up when your playing NC is because games are hardware intensive and do push the PC.

My brothers PC is shown the same issues and to me it looks like he either has a faulty PSU or a bad motherboard.

Doc Holliday
21-11-03, 22:10
tried to defrag machine and it says files have corrupted in windows and now needs my win2k cd to repair damage. i left pc running last night as per what qd said. it seems fuxxored. gonna give that a whirl. i think im looking at a lot worse than a reinstall.