PDA

View Full Version : A thought - 'Uber'

Opar
20-11-03, 14:15
Looking through my Collins Pocket, German Dictionary. I was thinking.... the word, uber.

What is it? I use it more than i do the word 'Nerf'. So it must mean something. So i look it up. I get 6 examples of the word 'Uber'. I shall now, painfully, type out all 6.

"uber ['y:ber] prap +day 1 (raumlich) over,
above; zwei Grad uber null two de-
grees above zero
2"

At this point, i got bored, and refused to continue. However, scanning down these 6 examples, i see no 'I have a 5 slot CS, im uber'. This crappy dictionary says Uber = Above/Below.

So, why do we say, 'OMG OMG 5 SLOT CS!!!! IM SUCH AN ABOVE/BELOW CONSTER!!'

I then turned over the page. I was astonished (note big word) There were 3 and 3/4 more pages of words with 'Uber' them. I scanned them all. Everything was to do with above or below.

U-Bahn. Uber Bahn. Subway.
Uber'fuhrung. Bridge, Overpass.
Uberfahrt (Dont ask.)

Still. No mention of anything that could relate to 'OMG HAX KOS KOS KOS 5 SLOT HL OMG OMG'

So, i ask j00 my friends! Why do we use the word, 'UBER'?????

Why dont we use the following...

arschficken - to penetrate the ass.. "normal" way of fucking for gays

beschissen - Shitty, fucked up, quite poor

Bierficker - insult; literally 'beerfucker'.... could mean 'someone whose dick is so small that it fits into the opening of a beer bottle'. maybe that's why it's an insult

Gertrud - fucky girl, woman,whore,bitch...etc...

And my favourite....

Schlampenschlepper, der - Pimp's car; literally "slut dragger."....Used to indicate a (usually) large, American automobile, like those commonly seen in film scenes depicting pimps and their working girls. An old wreck.

Why dont we?

So, as of now. I am no longer going to use the word 'Uber'. I shall be using those words above.

Iz you with me?

Scikar
20-11-03, 14:18
Ever played Return to Castle Wolfenstein? Das Uber Soldat? There is more than one translation for über.

Opar
20-11-03, 14:19
ONOZ! ATTACK OF THE ABOVE BELOW SOLDIER!!!

Oh well, couldnt find it in teh dictionary ^^

Scikar
20-11-03, 14:21
In this case, meaning Super Soldier.

And it doesn't mean below, below is unter.

Opar
20-11-03, 14:22
Dare you oppose teh uber L337 Collins German Dictionary?

:p

Crap, i said Uber.

Scikar
20-11-03, 14:26
I just did in fact have a look in the Collins German Dictionary, not the crappy Pocket version, and found Ubermensch - Superman.

Opar
20-11-03, 14:28
Onoz! I found teh superman...

Oh well, still, Schlampenschlepper soudns better than Uber =P

Wellard
20-11-03, 14:30
@opar - where did you get above/below from? in your own post it says:

"uber ['y:ber] prap +day 1 (raumlich) over,
above; zwei Grad uber null two de-
grees above zero
2"

so.............uber in that context means "over" as it says or "above"

As in the english language, one word used in different contexts can mean different things, and as Scikar told you twice, it can mean "super"

[edited for violation of the forum rules - flaming]

;) :D :rolleyes:

hazzard
20-11-03, 14:40
Uber definitely means super.. at least in this context.

Search for "Friedrich Nietzsche" and "Übermensch".

But don't read this:
http://www.roxanne.org/~kenning/nietzsche/superman.html
:lol:

Jesterthegreat
20-11-03, 14:41
i assume you looked up Über not Uber?

jernau
20-11-03, 14:44
Uber- and Super- are both prefixes indicating something is better than or more than the norm.

It's really not very complicated, just a little bit silly.

ericdraven
20-11-03, 14:46
Is "uber" actually an english word? I always thought it's derived from the german "über" and ended up as "uber" 'cause the english keyboard has no "ü". :p

hazzard
20-11-03, 14:47
That's the same, because our keyboards have an uber Ü :P

I asked few english teacher about "uber" and they all said the same. Why shouldn't I trust them? :)

My english is bad and I'm a german.. but it was an interessting question. That was 5 years ago and I can still remember :lol:

Chaplin
20-11-03, 14:51
Originally posted by Jesterthegreat
i assume you looked up Über not Uber?

Which is correct as there is no word "uber" in german. This word always means to be the expression "über" but not every US-layout keyboard has the ü on it and ascii is not always available (e.g. ingame).

The usage of uber in the gaming community does in fact base on the expression "Übermensch". Notice "is based on"...
"Über" itself is no adjective or abverb in german. The usage we discuss here is the invention of a subcultre with no direct correlation in everyday language.

edit: Damn, you guy sbeat me by minutes :rolleyes:

Jesterthegreat
20-11-03, 14:53
alt + 154

Ü

:D

:edit: tbh i never tried it ingame as Über is more a DAoC term IMO, i never hear people in NC say it :P

however... last time i tried it in DAoC it was possible

Wellard
20-11-03, 14:54
flaming?? ickle me? :(

I been a bad bad boy, I'm sowwy

Chaplin
20-11-03, 14:54
edit :

eh .. nevermind

SynC_187
20-11-03, 14:57
I'm uber = I'm above you :p

ericdraven
20-11-03, 14:59
Originally posted by SynC_187
I'm uber = I'm above you :p
Hmm... i like to be uber = i like to be above? :p

Captain Chaos
20-11-03, 15:03
überlegen - to outgun, outmatch, superior to etc...

think that's the origin of "uber"

SynC_187
20-11-03, 15:13
Originally posted by ericdraven
Hmm... i like to be uber = i like to be above? :p

^Common sense required for the use of this type of word^

todays word is "context" children ;)

J. Folsom
20-11-03, 16:21
Über when translated from German actually means over, so actually it's use online is pretty dang odd, I mean you wouldn't say "Wow, that's one over-CS" now wouldn't you?

Originally posted by Jesterthegreat

:edit: tbh i never tried it ingame as Über is more a DAoC term IMO, i never hear people in NC say it :P

however... last time i tried it in DAoC it was possibleI've actually seen it used before DAoC was even released, I'm pretty certain it's one of those generic internet terms (Just like 1337, etc.)

SovKhan
20-11-03, 16:33
I am sure the first users of the term uber that were American anyway were just some 13-15 year old CS players who were looking in a German English translation book/dictionary and saw that Über meant something about being better than most. And the rest just flowed from there. But who knows for sure it’s just another part of the developing E language. Who knows in another few years we could all be speaking some sort of universal language that only computer gamers ect. will understand.

jernau
20-11-03, 16:38
Originally posted by J. Folsom
actually seen it used before DAoC was even released, I'm pretty certain it's one of those generic internet terms (Just like 1337, etc.)

It predated the internet by a long way.

Super was also only a prefix for "over" originally.

SovKhan
20-11-03, 16:41
^^ its been more widespread due to the internet however. more people know what your talking about when you say a term like that then if the internet did not exist, even if the term existed before the internet itself.

KRIMINAL99
20-11-03, 16:50
Uber soldat... as in soldier above everyone else better than etc...

Uber race as in race "above" everyone else...

Anyways looking at dictionaries to figure out what words mean is silly... The definitions of words change rediculously fast... not the Written definition in the dictiionary but how people use them.

Think about rap music... All people have in common that one thing they think is "cool" or "funny" is to substitute a word that even if its not supposed to mean somehting is somehow remotely related so people can make the connection themselves and get a drug zap (realization feeling)

Rollin on twenties... with the TOP BACK...
|
(Car with 24 inch rims)

Maybe in germany it was just a word that normally was used for above got altered by usage to "better than" while it was never officially documented in the dictionary.

iNsAnE
20-11-03, 17:55
Originally posted by KRIMINAL99

Anyways looking at dictionaries to figure out what words mean is silly...

Funny, I always though that's what dicitonaries are all about. :D (I understand what you mean though.)

I'd say the explanation that Captain Chaos gave is perfect.
überlegen = superior
übermensch = superior human, one who is better than all.

So "I got the uber CS!!1!!" means "I've got a CS that is better than / superior to all others".
"I R teh Uber" = "I'm superior to all."
etc.

Jesterthegreat
20-11-03, 18:26
Originally posted by J. Folsom
I've actually seen it used before DAoC was even released, I'm pretty certain it's one of those generic internet terms (Just like 1337, etc.)

dont get me wrong... im not saying it comes from there... im saying i hear it constantly there... and ingame on NC i have never ever heard it said lol

everythings 1337... or too rude (DAoC is not an adult game - NC is)

amfest
20-11-03, 18:27
some words and definitions are just silly

McJob (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=mcjob)

Wannabe
20-11-03, 18:31
I'm an uberleader in FF :D (Uber as belowleader ... :D )

/me asks a PPU to give him fire 3 and shelter.

Let the flaming begin!

// Wannabe

P.S. Über (pronouced yber I think) means best, good etc. I think I'll ask my gf what it actually means =)

// Wannabe

Sanch0s
20-11-03, 18:46
Mein deutsch ist nicht so gut weil ich komme aus england!

Mein kopf tut mir weh wann ich spreche deutsch.............ach

Sooo when i asked mein deutsch lehrer "wie sagt man UBER auf english bitte?"
Er sagt "over, as in over the bridge, but what do i know ich bin sehr dich und mein pimmel ist sehr klien und ich schlafe mit meerschweinchien blah blah blah"

Pffffffft^^

Sigma
20-11-03, 18:58
Originally posted by Sanch0s
Mein deutsch ist nicht so gut weil ich komme aus england!

Mein kopf tut mir weh wann ich spreche deutsch.............ach

Sooo when i asked mein deutsch lehrer "wie sagt man UBER auf english bitte?"
Er sagt "over, as in over the bridge, but what do i know ich bin sehr dich und mein pimmel ist sehr klien und ich schlafe mit meerschweinchien blah blah blah"

Pffffffft^^

and always remember kids,

DRUGS ARE BAD!

mmkay?

:lol: