PDA

View Full Version : Neocron 2?

Bob Monkhouse
20-11-03, 13:37
I know this is getting a bit ahead of things, but does MJS fancy telling us if a NC sequel is in his long term plans for KK?

I personally think NC is at its core a very strong game, it certainly deserves to be more popular than the other MMORPG I recently wasted money on (curse you Lucas, seeing Episode IV in the cinema aged 5 has given me a lifetime compulsion to buy SW branded products!)

I would love to see a new engine, a new skill system and new classes, but with the same community, FP viewpoint and cyberpunk genre. (but NO monks please! Magic=Nonsence!)

Get a new publisher, release DoY then when your fortune starts to swell, hire more coders and start on NC2!

ezza
20-11-03, 13:39
id like to see N2 at somepoint, but not for a good few years yet.

Wannabe
20-11-03, 13:40
Originally posted by Bob Monkhouse
Magic=Nonsence!

It's not magic, it's psionic power such as telepathy etc. You should read the history of Neocron to get that there's no such thing as magic =)

Getting back to topic, I really think NC can't have a sequal, only expansion such as Irita, Tokyo 2 etc.

// Wannabe

jernau
20-11-03, 14:46
Originally posted by Wannabe
It's not magic, it's psionic power such as telepathy etc. You should read the history of Neocron to get that there's no such thing as magic =)

// Wannabe

Ooooooooh Right.o_O

Oath
20-11-03, 14:53
MAGIC IS REAL!!!!!!!!!111oneone

PAUL DANIELS PWNS YOU!!!11oneone

Why dont you mail Mjs and ask him?

Pretty sure he'll know more than us O_o............:lol:

Jesterthegreat
20-11-03, 14:56

or better yet ask Jenau? :p

tbh i dont think magic (Psi) should have been included... NC is turning into every other MMORPG. Mages are strongest in the end. Fighters are shit at the end...

O_o

so much potential... just to become an ever so slightly different clone :(

robinitnow
20-11-03, 15:16
we will onliy see NC2 if thigs take off for NC.

Sundiver
20-11-03, 15:48
We will most likely see another MMO based on what made Neocron, only with different cities and numerous enhancements and improvements, better charater creation and building and a bigger world with better graphics and sound, and.. and...

but seriously, Reakktor has shown us pretty well they really know what it takes to create an exciting new kind of MMO. We can only hope they know what they are doing (publishing) next time..

As I see it, Neocron is dying and has been so since release, simply because the world never got to know about Neocron and what it is. Most people playing SP and MMO games that I talk to, still don't have a clue what Neocron is. I'd call that a serious problem, and I cannot imagine Reakktor can afford to keep this ship floating any much longer without tons of new subscribers. It is sad to see a game you love going down slowly and painful like this. It deserves a so much better future than just fading into a void.

Bob Monkhouse
20-11-03, 16:13
I have read the history. Psionic powers? Rubbish, its "magic" by another name. Oh, and its telekenesis if you want to believe in crap like that, not telepathy.

Anywaaaay, I agree that NC fell pretty flat, but it's still a great game, with a great community, and let all hope that the new publisher brings a new raft of popularity. MJS gets new cars and watches, and we get a strong game which goes on improving and eventually a monk free sequel.
:)

Oath
20-11-03, 16:20
So what your saying is............you want to alienate half the player on all the servers?

Personally i hate monks, not because they overpowered or dont fit, if you look at most if not every cyberpunk rpg, theres at least one class of 'magic' users.

Sla Industries Had ebons, although it used/uses a very balanced system to compensate for these abilites and fighters.

I never saw one SLA player bitch about magic, or in fact call it overpowered.

Games like these need some sort of weak class that uses their mind as thier weapon, it adds variety, although it has gone too far restricting people choices will simply create a flop of a game.

Bob Monkhouse
20-11-03, 16:36
I didn't say "remove monks from NC", I said hopefully there will be no monks in NC2.

I also said "more classes" would be nice in NC2, so the monkey boys can find a new class.

IMHO there is no place for magic in cyberpunk. Shadowrun started it in a bid to attract cyberpunks and fairy fantasy fans, thus ruining a great genre.

I repeat, magic=nonsense :lol:

ezza
20-11-03, 16:47
Originally posted by Oath

Games like these need some sort of weak class that uses their mind as thier weapon

we have one, there called spys, they use there mind to make tanks better weapons:D :angel:

Oath
20-11-03, 16:54
Originally posted by ezza
we have one, there called spys, they use there mind to make tanks better weapons:D :angel:

:lol:

RAWR!

You know it lol

El_MUERkO
20-11-03, 17:05
I think Neocron, the Combat and the class/skill system, its history and storyline are a great basis for a next gen MMORPG.

I'd love to see KK get a tonne of capital, clone Codi and co. a few times, buy a kick ass engine with no need for sync'ing and a much larger landscape.

I think this its a possibility too, assuming KK get a decent producer who can back DOY with the advertising and promotion it needs to sell in big numbers and make the game more popular.

Bob Monkhouse
20-11-03, 17:11
Considering how popular NC is mainly through word of mouth KK SHOULD have a bright future if the publisher does NC proud. MJS has already said that KK is on a sound financial footing, even with what WE perceive to be a low playerbase.

There is no reason to suggest that NC2 is not viable, come on Martin, let us know!

Spy<VS>Spy
20-11-03, 17:46
If you build it, they will come...

well maybe not, though you probably honostly couldnt do worse, surfice to say N2 would be something i would buy i guess.

though lets be honost, MMPOGS usualy pass out the sequal when the original breaks even. I'd like to belive that Neocron is close or already broke even. but these things are exspensive to produce. when a company says, hey lets make a game that public KEEPS paying for every month! for 2 or three years!

that can be some attractive figures on the accountants calculator. I belive in future we are going to see more companys like Reakktor take the plunge to possibly make it huge.

As the market exspands though, that market becomes harder to get into, i mean i know allot of people are playing neocron because 'there isnt anything else out there' that i enjoy. however thats slowly changing.

while the heavy hitters like Final Fantasy XI, Everquest 2, Starwars galaxy's. duke it out to hold the genral audence and dominant cash cow of RPGers. (incidently this is a huge breath of fresh air to ALL RPG games, more companys are looking at the marketability of such gameplay like the dungeon and dragons style scratch play.) it also paves the way for some fresh ideas.

As much as a pain in the ass neocron can be at times, as frustrated as i am with the staff that runs it here. i would sill have to shake their hands, and tell them.

Hey, you know what. you did what not many games did, you stood out and said, yes its possible and yes it can be good.

for that i would wish Reakktor luck if they did make an N2...who knows...maybe if the world relizes there was a neocron 1 with the DoY exspansion...it might happen.

Spoon
20-11-03, 17:49
I think you'll see N2 on PS2, X-Box or Gamecube....

I got a funny feeling KK going to bail on us and the PC market.......:o

Promethius
20-11-03, 17:54
Originally posted by Jesterthegreat
tbh i dont think magic (Psi) should have been included... NC is turning into every other MMORPG. Mages are strongest in the end. Fighters are shit at the end...

O_o

so much potential... just to become an ever so slightly different clone :(

so true. I would say turn healing into a medkit or a device which heals...like a tool that spys can use. Change psi class into that healing business. Then have the rest be about the same. Different tl's of 'healing devices'. Dare i say something like star trek? 0.o

Lethys
20-11-03, 18:18
Agreed. I would only play NC2 if it had no monks in it at all.

Dribble Joy
20-11-03, 18:25
I'd like to see Neocron V.2 rather than Neocron2.

The same 'game', new engine, better textures, more char generation stuff. Carry over the chars from NC V.1 (with option to edit apperance at restart)
Maybe do this for tokyo II or redterra/irataII?

Anna
20-11-03, 18:30
i think monks are pretty much required in a cyberpunk game, or any mmorpg for that matter, but theyre just very hard to balance

Rachius
20-11-03, 18:42
I'd like to see Neocron 2 on Irata III.

Spy<VS>Spy
20-11-03, 20:34
well you really could not call it neocron 2 and have it be on irita 3, me personal i recall in the early beta days when we asked about possible exspansions they where thinking about finding out the origins of the shuttle that made it there or didnt. finding the ceres disks or gaining some knowledge to build ships or something that would allow you to go there or to the moon...shit like that to exspand the world map.

the reason the game is called neocron, is because...its about the city, neocron. the last mega city left on earth to craddle the human civilization. will it be brought down by scum and villainy or bring humanity to its savior...

yadda yadda yadda.

regardless, KK cant set scheduals or keep time. we are still waiting for DoY after all. I also doubt you will see neocron on a platform system...i think only the X-box has a hardrive...we all know how KK loves to patch. :)

Rachius
20-11-03, 20:54
Spy - its not the last megacity. Theres Tokyo.

And I never said it had to be called Neocron 2, I was referring to it as a sequel etc.

Spy<VS>Spy
20-11-03, 20:57
oh right how could i forget about Tokyo...huh?
*brain freezes*

Houser
20-11-03, 21:17
They can barely get a new publisher (which they won't). And they can't even put out one single friggin expansion, and you would hope to see Neocron 2 ? that has to be the stupidiest idea ever.

Lanigav
22-11-03, 12:34
Something tells me that the age of the engine won't cause the game to last long enough to have another 2 or 3 expansion packs.

Way I see it, KK made/is making a fair chunk of money off of NC, and while a sequel would be nice, I don't think they have or will have the resources to make a sequel to Neocron. What they could do though is either jointly work on it with another company, or sell the rights and properties to NC to another company so they can work on it alone (like what Nintendo did with Donkey Kong by loaning the rights to Rare).

Ormy
23-11-03, 00:23
WOOOOHH lets not get ahead of ourselves. Lets try and get the current neocron balanced and mostly bug free, before we start thinking about a sequel.

Duder
23-11-03, 00:32
Originally posted by Anna
i think monks are pretty much required in a cyberpunk game, or any mmorpg for that matter, but theyre just very hard to balance

Right, did "Neuromancer" have any crappy monks? Nope.

How about "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?"

"Blade Runner" ?

No, no no no and no.

Shadowrun was fine, till they introduced magic.