PDA

View Full Version : Idea- Event Patches.

Shujin
20-11-03, 09:26
instead of having sucky low interactive events where almost nothing has changed, why not have events that req small patches.

im sure people wouldnt mind, just please post a url to the ftp on the loader ;P

some model and texture changes.

like a disease sweeps through neocron, all players infected due to water contamination and they make a lil skin change to make all players look very sick and make a couple lighting changes around the city to make it look darker and add some npcs with masks around talking to people trying to calm them down.

and they need all runners with the strength to fight to come to the wastelands immediatly. and outside of neocron they have a group of anarchy breed called "Diseased Anarchy Breed" or somethin and we must destroy them all before they spread it throughout the city if there is any part of the city unaffected. and then later in the event they announce the carrier for the disease has been found and they must take it to protopharma labs to develope the antidote.

they then spawn a few anarchy breed at proto to try to stop them from getting a cure.

they finnally get a cure

and a successful interactive event has been completed. all is well again in neocron.

edit: forgot to add another example i was thinking off

another example is changing some models around some ops or somethin as if a war happend there between doy and ca or tg and ca or somethin

and have burnt op walls and messed up stuff and tanks on there sides etc.

Heavyporker
20-11-03, 10:01
I'm sure KK will love diverting resources to make frequent event patches ^ ^

But, nice as it sounds, it's a bit labor-intensive to pull off. And besides, GMs can spawn RP items and NPCs so they "could" make frequent events.

Worldchanges are MUCH harder to setup, coordinate, and run. Trust me, I had a taste of it.

Shujin
20-11-03, 10:05
Originally posted by Heavyporker
I'm sure KK will love diverting resources to make frequent event patches ^ ^

But, nice as it sounds, it's a bit labor-intensive to pull off. And besides, GMs can spawn RP items and NPCs so they "could" make frequent events.

Worldchanges are MUCH harder to setup, coordinate, and run. Trust me, I had a taste of it. u got no clue how easy this would be to tell u the truth.

the disease event i was talking about, already happend minus the skin changes. and all that would req is a VERY easily done skin changes... then just make a patch and upload it... so hard... ;P

csh1
20-11-03, 10:06
ermm - you do knwo the server would have to come down for the patch to be applied....

Chris

Shujin
20-11-03, 10:07
for like 5 mins to patch it prolly less.

they could at least have one of these a month, or every 2 weeks.

Heavyporker
20-11-03, 10:12
well, they gottta do the skin changes for ALL the models, then that environmental alternation, like you said, mucho work, then make into patch, patch on, run event, patch off.

rinse and repeat.

patches for events might be nice, but atm, KK don't have manpower to do those sort of patches.

Shujin
20-11-03, 15:59
Originally posted by Heavyporker
well, they gottta do the skin changes for ALL the models, then that environmental alternation, like you said, mucho work, then make into patch, patch on, run event, patch off.

rinse and repeat.

patches for events might be nice, but atm, KK don't have manpower to do those sort of patches. well the environmental changes dont really have to be done, and the ones i said were simple as hell.

and u know how easy it is do skin changes. easy....

Penzius
20-11-03, 17:14
hi,

this is a great idea in theory, but the event team is staffed by volunteers like myself; and Callash, who isn't working in-house at this time.

For that reason it's impossible for us to implement things like this on that sort of timescale.

However, many of our storyline events revolve around new content and while we do not do it in quite the way you suggest, new items and mobs and things are implemented by us once a major patch puts them in-game.

It would be terrific to say we could just implement changes like that for events, but part of our job is to be creative with what we have and I hope we manage to do that.

I can't speak for the developers, but I can imagine patching on such a temporary and frequent basis woudl take resources away from adding more substantial content to the game.

As with all suggestions though, we do listen to all of them and even if we can't adopt them as written, we often draw on them and adapt them in some way.

Heavyporker
20-11-03, 18:28
Yep, like faction guard weapon changes. How many times was that suggested (and in no small part by me :D :P )

Shujin
20-11-03, 23:59
Originally posted by Penzius
hi,

this is a great idea in theory, but the event team is staffed by volunteers like myself; and Callash, who isn't working in-house at this time.

For that reason it's impossible for us to implement things like this on that sort of timescale.

However, many of our storyline events revolve around new content and while we do not do it in quite the way you suggest, new items and mobs and things are implemented by us once a major patch puts them in-game.

It would be terrific to say we could just implement changes like that for events, but part of our job is to be creative with what we have and I hope we manage to do that.

I can't speak for the developers, but I can imagine patching on such a temporary and frequent basis woudl take resources away from adding more substantial content to the game.

As with all suggestions though, we do listen to all of them and even if we can't adopt them as written, we often draw on them and adapt them in some way.

glad you replied to the thread ;]

and last night i thought about this idea alot and came up with some solutions to the problems people are see'ing.

problem : no staff w/ time to make such changes.

Answer: a sub event staff to help the current event / storyline
staff. no gm / staff power at all in game ( unless there was a leader of the sub event staff and he has power )
when the event staff plan an event they tell the devs ( i guess they are the ones who take the server up or down to patch it ) in advance so they can plan when they can do it. they also tell the sub event staff which gets to work and try to make gfx mods or anything they can do that relates to the event.

problem i noticed: the sub event staff would be limited to editing player skins, mutant skins, and npc skins. due to that they wouldnt be able to change model gfx or any of much of anything.
also a problem due to that is that people that have skin moddifications installed would not see the changes to the skins they have moddified.

so basicly this reply was kinda pointless due to the fact that i just realized that they'd be limited to skins.

so it would have to be devs that do it because they are the onlyones with the proper tools to do it.

retr0n
21-11-03, 00:33
that's a good idea, and i would like it, but what about the ppl that
don't want to do any of that stuff, maybe they are to busy or just
don't care... you have to interrupt them for 5 to 10 minutes every
now and then ... just a thought... an idea would be, that with an
upcomming patch, they just throw the extra skins & stuff in, but
then simply "activate" them when running the event... not sure if
that's possible, but would imo be a little better...

but nice idea however! :)