PDA

View Full Version : [BRAINPORT] Mortar

Scikar
20-11-03, 02:31
I had this idea a while back in a droner thread, I've given it some thought, and here it is.

The mortar itself is a large unit, either deployable from a backpack or an actual vehicle. When deployed it cannot be moved. It must be moved and maintained by a tank. To use, a droner must interface with the mortar, probably by just right clicking on it. The droner then launches a scout drone. When the droner attacks with the scout, the mortar fires, aiming at the point the scout drone is looking at. After each shot a tank has to reload the mortar manually, though this can just be right clicking again. The tank only has to reload, so he can still sit nearby and defend the mortar and droner.

The mortar would fire like a current artillery turret, though there could be different models dealing different damage types, fire, xray, force/pierce, maybe even a biowarhead poison one.

The main advantage is it brings a use to 2 underused classes at OP wars, as well as providing a way to siege people defending an OP who have planted a lot of turrets and are dug in. It could also be used as a defensive tool, by placing it within an OP and using it to target incoming attackers. Also to shell an enemy mortar which is bombarding the OP.

The vehicle and portable mortars could be separate, the vehicle one would be more powerful and have greater range, but less mobile than the portable version.

So, whaddya think?

Jest
20-11-03, 02:35
I think its awesome but unfortunately it would totally null out the use for turrets. Well I guess it would take away the dependancy to have turrets defend the ops.

Come to think of it I wish the ops would be completely redesigned. There could be so many better ways of doing them.

But anyway, I likey overall.

QuantumDelta
20-11-03, 02:38
I like it, personally I think it should be carrying an AoE Charge which is very, very effective, something like 3 or 4 x the current AoE Weapons.

Especially since it's a two man operation.

Jest
20-11-03, 02:39
Originally posted by QuantumDelta
I like it, personally I think it should be carrying an AoE Charge which is very, very effective, something like 3 or 4 x the current AoE Weapons.

Especially since it's a two man operation. Yah something like the ice world catapults of Diablo II. :)

Scikar
20-11-03, 02:42
Definitely AoE rather than direct. As a mortar, it would be best used as an are weapon than to target an enemy specifically. Though perhaps the tank can also fire the mortar, but he can't use the accompanying drone so he targets it directly.

Marzola
20-11-03, 02:46
I like the idea. But maybe have the droner be a spotter and when he clicks on an area a little dot appears on the tank's screen telling where to aim to get the right arch. Droner paints the target, Tank aims, fires, BOOM!!! :D

MkVenner
20-11-03, 02:46
Yeah i like the idea, and i agree with Jest, Ops could do with a redesign, like having parts of the wall that can be blown down (with the mortar) then repaired.

Shadow Dancer
20-11-03, 02:50
Oh c'mon guys, do you really think this'll happen?

I mean I think it's a great idea, but I feel like it's a waste of time to suggest ideas which realisticly don't have a chance of happening.

Ryleck
20-11-03, 06:18
SEXY SEXY OMG HAVE MY BABY (can be a welcome adition for a mortar vehicle alongside my transport vehicle idea)

iainy13
20-11-03, 06:33
I love it. an shadow dancer it prob wont happen. But that dousent mean i cant like it.

REMUS
20-11-03, 12:34
amazing idea although i dont think it would totally screw the idea of turrets becuase it would have an arc of fire prolly unable to hit turrets inside the op + ppl can still drop them mid op fight.

LOL i can just imagine a clan looking up as a salvo of mortor rounds comes whistleing down on them hahahaha!

awesome idea dude u would hav to make the scout drone quite weak so it could be disabled quite quickly also i think the rounds should be really inaccurate sort of like moonstriker missles so they rarely get a direct hit.

Scikar
20-11-03, 12:37
Actually I was thinking of them being fairly accurate since there's a fairly significant delay between when the shells are fired and when they land. The scout drone would be just like a current scout drone, i.e. pretty damn weak. Also put together with QD's shield idea we can have sieges. :D

QuantumDelta
20-11-03, 12:39
Originally posted by REMUS
amazing idea although i dont think it would totally screw the idea of turrets becuase it would have an arc of fire prolly unable to hit turrets inside the op + ppl can still drop them mid op fight.

LOL i can just imagine a clan looking up as a salvo of mortor rounds comes whistleing down on them hahahaha!

awesome idea dude u would hav to make the scout drone quite weak so it could be disabled quite quickly also i think the rounds should be really inaccurate sort of like moonstriker missles so they rarely get a direct hit.
Almost all drones can be taken out in one or two holy lightning hits -_-

Original monk
20-11-03, 12:47
this is a great idea scikar, it reminds me of the mortars in Halflife-Firearms, must be reaal fun to have a mortar, especially during OP fights :) it adds to the viability of droner and tank, if the mortardamage is big enough, sumthing like the artillery turret 3 maybe ? Or to replace a droner you can always use some sort of laser guidance, you gotta mark a spot with a laserguidence gun first, then the mortars drop on the the marked spot, would be real fun to play with :)

REMUS
20-11-03, 13:08
Originally posted by QuantumDelta
Almost all drones can be taken out in one or two holy lightning hits -_-

well the highest level scount drone is fast, can fly high and hard as hell to hit so i dont see the problem?

i would be happy if they were as weak as kami drones. LOL i can almost picture a mortar team in pp1 sending shells down the other side haha!

boneybob
20-11-03, 13:18
nice idea Scikar, i also belive that the way OPs are currently fought for needs to be re-thought.

This morter idea would be just one of those new ways to fight for an OP in style, and as some one else mentioned above it would bring other classes to the OPs.

Prehaps instead of a drone or another way of doing it might be to use some kind of laser designator (rifle/turret) that needs to also be set-up?!? Duno, but it would be realy cool to see lare energy morter blasts flying high through the air and then detonating in a mass ball of loveing destructivness :p .

Just make it damageing and a good AOE and you have a winner!
:D

No more Fish!

BB