PDA

View Full Version : Can new content compensate for old bugs?

Morris
19-11-03, 13:30
Right. This is long and whiny, and will probably bring on some flames. But it's something that's been nagging on me for quite a while and it needs to be said. Some in the community seem to be eagerly awaiting the release of DoY, and the new publisher and players it will bring. What good are those new players if they don't stay?

1) The new players could be ANYBODY
The other day, someone new DMed me fresh out of his MC5 cryo chamber thingy asking if any of KAWAII was still around. I told him yes, there were a few of us left, and tried to help him get started. Started talking him through the process of leaving MC5, then he stops talking. A few seconds later: "Huh, I crashed." I laughed and told him that he'd soon be well acquainted with Mr. Fatal Error Popup. Nonetheless, he seemed a bit impressed by the game. I offered to meet him outside his apartment and rebuilt his energy bolt. No response -- then "damn, I crashed again!" So he finally finds the GR and zaps to his apartment -- about a minute later I get "man crashed AGAIN... swank apartment though!" I explained the basics of the game for a few minutes, when suddenly he stopped responding. No biggie, I think, he's just crashed again.

I haven't seen him since.

2)My clan
A month or so ago, my clan KAWAII was mentioned several times in a thread asking who the most powerful TT clans on Saturn were. We were all raw and new just 3 months ago, totally exhilirated with this amazing game. We leveled together, we fought together, we had a great time together. Now who's left? Myself, and another player who only plays occasionally on the weekends. None went to other clans. They all quit, mainly due to the bugs and the monks (none of us knew any better so we were almost entirely spies and tanks).

The tragic love story of KAWAII (read the 2nd to last page if you don't read anything else, or if you want to laugh at the two banned dudes :cool: ) can be found here (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=651715&perpage=40&pagenumber=1) if anyone cares.

Surely the proverbial "new publisher" will at least want to look at the game before they agree to take it. If they have an experience like that, why on EARTH would they pick this game up?

The whole point of my rambling whine is that while content is great and all, please fire up the ol' debugger once in a while. I understand debugging is a chore, but Visual Studio's debugger is almost tolerable. Please? :(

p1zza
19-11-03, 14:30
I AGREE !!

if just that runtime bug was been fixed, probably things'd be better !!

BUT

i still love Neocron :)) and keep being optimistic on its future
c'mon guys !! show what you can do ;O

p1zza : construct & repair / gimp spy pistol on PLUTO

Hiram : over-PUMPED Apu ;P

Oath
19-11-03, 14:34
Or.........how about.

You............

wait till the old bugs are fixxed.............until the new bugs come in??

Whats the point of more content if it fucks it up even more>?

theres plenty to do ingame, heres a novel approach.........ROLE-PLAY.

Morris
19-11-03, 14:41
Originally posted by Oath

I'm not sure if you're trying to flame me or what, but it looks like you missed the point so I'll reiterate. The point is: what good is a massive influx of new players (read: DoY) if they get fed up with the bugs and leave before their trial is up? What publisher is going to pick up a game that cannot run for more than an hour or so without trying to access a null pointer or sending data across an invalid socket or whatever the hell it does to crash itself as often as it does?

I enjoy this game and have no intention of quitting. The fact that I am patient enough to deal with the crashes, the synchs, and the database errors does not mean that the large untapped market that KK is trying to access (and I believe there is one) will be.

ezza
19-11-03, 14:41
Originally posted by Oath

:lol: :lol: :lol: roleplay, you say funny things:lol: :lol: :lol:

Oath
19-11-03, 14:43
Originally posted by ezza
:lol: :lol: :lol: roleplay, you say funny things:lol: :lol: :lol: :p

i do indeed.

I know the situation with roleplaying lol, sucks that a MMORPG penalises you for doing it.

Archeus
19-11-03, 14:56
Maybe you could of explained to him how to log a report on the crash if he was crashing that often. Or explained some of the things to check to make sure it wasn't an issue he should know about (example: check files, hitting cursor keys, windows key).

I rarely crash now. I do crash but no where on the level of what it used to be like.

Morris
19-11-03, 15:37
I explained the bit about the ATI helper task and the arrow keys (which was causing some but not all of the crashes). The game seems very idiosyncratic across varying systems... some people say they never crash, but others get that *bonk* when they're just standing in their apartment lomming :wtf: My personal nemesis is the CityCom... I can use that for about 3 mouse clicks before I'm looking at my desktop.

All that aside, a game which forces its customers to jump through hoops like a performing seal in order to get it to run isn't going to have a very high retention rate. Some may not care, but I'm worried that (assuming a new publisher is found and advertising etc. are up to people's expectations) once DoY is released we will see the population soar... and then drop right back down to what it is now within a few months.