PDA

View Full Version : Stay physically fit

Marzola
19-11-03, 02:48
Make sure that you do something active other than Neocron. I just got home from my first basketball practice and sadly all the running you do in game doesn't convert to real life:( Coach started us off with 6 suicides and after the 4th I nearly passed out (a suicide is from the baseline to foul line and back, then to half court and back, then to the other foul line and back, then full court and back and you do this sprinting for you people who haven't played basketball. Your aslo expected to do them in under 30 seconds). So just a word of advice, don't be like me and sit on your ass all summer/fall and excect to be able to play a sport. Do something active like walking/jogging or weight lifting, because A, it keeps you in shape, and B, you feel good after. J

Anyway, JV basketball all the way!

Oath
19-11-03, 02:52
well..............have more sex, always kept me fit.

Weights are a good idea, but, watch ya dont pull your bicep.........as i have/am/is/do cos it makes pvp and masturbation harder.

DarkPhoenix
19-11-03, 02:53
LOL

Thats kinda like me a baseball training that started Monday. Doing steps for 2 hours is rough, my legs are still hurtin... :o

Ormy
19-11-03, 03:22
They make us do like 5 "suicides" but on a RUGBY pitch lol. Plus i do weights to build up arms and shoulders. I bike 2 miles to and from school everyday, and go for 2x 1.5 mile runs a week. I'd say thats excersise enough for a 168lb 14 yr old :D

nonamebrandeggs
19-11-03, 03:24
I stay fit and play games at the same time :D. Two different ways: Dance Dance Revolution, or play'n'wank.

Marzola
19-11-03, 03:29
Originally posted by nonamebrandeggs
I stay fit and play games at the same time :D. Two different ways: Dance Dance Revolution, or play'n'wank.

I guess that works too.

Right now i'm 6'4 and 230 lbs, and I haven't done any real running since last spring during the track season. Oh god i'm gonna hurt tomorrow (and this is only my first day).

Dribble Joy
19-11-03, 03:34
I cycle to Uni, and I'm in the OTC (Officer Training Corps)

Akasha
19-11-03, 11:23
Originally posted by Oath
well..............have more sex, always kept me fit.

so that explains why u aint very fit atm then oathee?!

Oath
19-11-03, 11:28
Originally posted by Akasha
so that explains why u aint very fit atm then oathee?! .........

MEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW

And yeah, thats basically right lol.

Akasha
19-11-03, 11:33
sowweeee!! good job oath knows my SoH huh! :angel:

L0KI
19-11-03, 11:38
Kung Fu = teh pwn for keep fit.

I do it 3 times a week, thats all i need.
But he's right, excersise > NC.

Wannabe
19-11-03, 11:40
Heh, good thing my second work (the one that's not programming related ^^) is kinda physical. It's mostly lifting things and moving things with forklifts etc. I once calculated that I walk home-work-home is around 3.2 kilometers and I also walk around 3 kilometers in work so that's over 6 kilometers daily that I walk.

Sadly I'm quitting this job as I'm really tired on doing others work and getting bitched by others errors.

Good thing I'm going to army (mandatory in Finland) on January 12th for a bit over half a year.

Soo.. I'm not fat ^^

// Wannabe

Lexxuk
19-11-03, 15:25
My exercise regime (very strict, must be followed)...

Wake up and get out of bed (very strenuous exercise)
Go downstairs (total leg workout)
Watch TV (finger exercice on remote control)
Make coffee (arm exercise filling kettle, more drinking it)
Roll a ciggie (more finger exercise)
Smoke (lung exercises)
Walk upstairs to puter (very slowly, am tired by now due to exercise from before)
Turn on puter (more finger exercises)
Type a little, play a little (arm and finger exercise)
Walk upto the shop for ciggies (more exercise)

See, I'm very fit (apparently, at least the doc said that was the reason I kept making the heart machine bleep with <50 bpm on teh heart monitor :lol: :lol: )

Opar
19-11-03, 15:39
Originally posted by Lexxuk
My exercise regime (very strict, must be followed)...

Wake up and get out of bed (very strenuous exercise)
Go downstairs (total leg workout)
Watch TV (finger exercice on remote control)
Make coffee (arm exercise filling kettle, more drinking it)
Roll a ciggie (more finger exercise)
Smoke (lung exercises)
Walk upstairs to puter (very slowly, am tired by now due to exercise from before)
Turn on puter (more finger exercises)
Type a little, play a little (arm and finger exercise)
Walk upto the shop for ciggies (more exercise)

See, I'm very fit (apparently, at least the doc said that was the reason I kept making the heart machine bleep with <50 bpm on teh heart monitor :lol: :lol: )

Ditto :P

superfresh
19-11-03, 16:02
12 oz. curls during gaming.

Original monk
19-11-03, 16:07
i go fishing on carps and stuff, is that sport also ?
and in the cafe, is darts and pool and stuff, and poker also sports ?

garyu69
19-11-03, 16:53
I just bought one of those Electrical Stomach Toners, i wear it while playing neocron. :D

ichinin
19-11-03, 23:41
Originally posted by L0KI
Kung Fu = teh pwn for keep fit.

I do it 3 times a week, thats all i need.
But he's right, excersise > NC.

I agree, martial arts are great for your body... unless you damage yourself on training by falling wrong or injuring yourself on some weapon.

Too bad computergames are so addictive - i wish i had the stamina and determination to start back up - i luuuv bo jutsu and playing with swords :)

Nightbrother
20-11-03, 00:57
Heh, dont tell me about suicides and drexler's. When I played b-ball a drexler (named after Clyde D. of course) was running to the other base line and back 5 times in less than 60 seconds. Doing this twice in a row also made me wish I didn't have lungs.

What did you do to have your coach do a bunch of suicides on ya from the start? Did you lose a game in the weekend or something? Heh... we would always do our running in the end, cause if we ran like crazy from the get-go at practice, almost everyone would be less concentrated throughout practice.

There's just no feeing to describe the lurching your stomach does when a teammate (or yourself) doesnt do the suicide or drexler drill in the appointed time, and running to the last base line knowing that because not everyone made it, you'd have to go again. Geez, scared me shitless, but made me rather fit also.

Where do you play at, you who started this post, whose name I cant remember? I can SO relate to your talking about the necessity of staying reasonably fit during summer break, so that you dont die when practice starts again. I was very good at not doing enough exercise during summer. :-( I'm rather lazy if I get the chance.

Boston College wanted me to play for them in '98, but I was sincerely and utterly sick of both school and basketball at that time, so I refused. Sometimes I wish I hadn't. Al Skinner came to Denmark to watch us practice. That was kinda odd, and I was nervous as hell because I wanted to do well.

Judge
20-11-03, 01:13
Parkour keeps you massively fit.

I do weights, push ups, chin ups and sit ups every day. Then maybe do one to two hours Parkour.... depending on the weather.

If you don't know what parkour is then go here: Urban Free Flow (http://www.urbanfreeflow.com).

Marzola
20-11-03, 01:31
Originally posted by Nightbrother
What did you do to have your coach do a bunch of suicides on ya from the start? Did you lose a game in the weekend or something? Heh... we would always do our running in the end,

He calls it "physical training". I call it hell. It was only our 2nd practice of the year. Luckily today he waited on the suicides untill the middle (we were doing jump shots from the foul line, only 7 on the whole team went in :( ) So today's practice went better. I also had a bottle of gatorade this time I didn't get completly dehydrated. The coach also pulled me and another big man from the suicides after the 3rd one and just had us do wind sprints up and down the sidelines so we didn't pass out in the middle of the court, lol. Atleast after today I noticed that I have a chance of either making varsity or atleast being bumped up eventually in the season, mainly because A, I am one of 3 people who are well over 6 feet (the team has an abundance of guards), and B I made every layup, and like the rest of the team I missed all my jump shots, lol. Hopefully after Thanks Giving weekend I should be able to do the suicides again (weekend practices from 3-when ever the coach loses his voice). Gonna be a fun two weeks :rolleyes:

Nightbrother
20-11-03, 02:08
Aw, geez, you just made me remember the 'make 15 out of 20 jumpshots' or the whole team goes to the line things. Argh. I'm a big man too, and being a big man certainly has it's benefits, conditioning-wise, but it only makes sense also. IMO big men can't sprint for as long as guards can, nor should they. Thats my experience anyway. I've had two coaches who believed that everyone should do exactly the same amount of conditioning, and in the same way. That way of thinking lasted about 3-4 weeks, before they realized that it had to be different (or I'm just not super-quick... heh).

Looking at how some guards can run (and turn + accelerate), it's only natural that bigger people cant do the same just as quickly. Anyway, it's late here and I'm getting tired so what I just said might all have been sleepy-talk, whatever that is.

A couple of funny thoughts: Do you get angry at guards who don't block people out, or don't attempt to get defensive rebounds at all? Practically speaking, in a game situation, big men have to run from baseline to baseline all the time. Guards often only have to run from 3-point line to 3-point line, at least when people are trigger-happy.

I've always found that once you DO get in great shape, the suicides and drexlers can actually be fun, especially when you come in ahead of everyone else, and the guards shout obsceneties to you for doing so... heh...

Marzola
20-11-03, 02:42
Yea, all the big men have a lot more mass than the guards. More mass = more force needed to move. I honelsty wonder how many coaches actually passed physics class :rolleyes: Once I get in shape though I'm gonna smoke all the guards though. Gonna be fun.

Originally posted by Nightbrother
A couple of funny thoughts: Do you get angry at guards who don't block people out, or don't attempt to get defensive rebounds at all? Practically speaking, in a game situation, big men have to run from baseline to baseline all the time. Guards often only have to run from 3-point line to 3-point line, at least when people are trigger-happy.

Yea, I hate it when the guards could have easily made a defensive rebound if they put a little effort in, but don't care because they couldn't add an extra 2 or 3 points to their stats. They rarely box out. And they always whine when they have to guard someoen bigger than them. Though it's always nice when the coach breaks the team up and has the guards doing suicides the next day while the big men get a day off.

KRIMINAL99
20-11-03, 02:56
If you get dizzy, nausious and your arms and legs fall asleep when trying to work out eat salt before you work out.

2ply
20-11-03, 05:48
I'm getting tired just thinking about doing suicides.

o.O

We get to do it on a soccer field, heh.

Ryleck
20-11-03, 06:01
yea i had the same problem with football

wolfwood
20-11-03, 06:04
my tennis coach forces us to 20 laps around the entire 4 courts at the beginning and end of practice. (note i am forced by my parents to be in tennis so that i can keep my drivers license).