PDA

View Full Version : Need some BroadBand help.

Scikar
18-11-03, 21:42
The time has come for me to select a BroadBand provider. Basically, my dad's going to be paying for it, which means I need to find one that he's willing to pay for, but I still have to be able to play games and download on it. I'm having a look around for the best deals, but there are a vast number of different packages. So, I'm asking for recommendations. The highest speed I can get is 512k due to my distance from my exchange. I'm happy to install it myself since if I understand correctly it's just a case of sticking microfilters on everything, which I'm not going to pay BT to do. Good tech support and security etc. is a plus, but I'm not going to pay (well my dad isn't :p) for a load of added extras which I'm never going to use.

So tell me, what BroadBand service do you recommend?

Kaden
18-11-03, 22:11
I'm currently using Blueyonder, from Telewest. Thier 512k service is great (a bandwidth test actually put it at 533k or something). Definitly would HIGHLY recommend them. Oh, and there is NO download/upload limit on it, unlike NTL.

L0KI
18-11-03, 22:17
Do u live in a cable area?

If yes, go Blue Yonder

If not, Go ADSL with Plus-Net

www.plus.net

cheapest, EXCELLENT cust service, most reliable (that that isnt dependant on BT).

I used to work for a dsl reviewer.

plus net = teh pwn.

Freeserve believe it or not came in second.

BT/AOL way down at the bottom.

Scikar
18-11-03, 22:26
I'm not in a cable area. I have a friend who recently signed up for plus.net and it looks good, figured I'd probably do best to make my dad happy and show him a few alternatives. :p

I've had a look at adslguide.org.uk, running their search they asked me if I was bothered by Transparent Caching, anyone know what that is?

L0KI
18-11-03, 22:27
Originally posted by Scikar
I'm not in a cable area. I have a friend who recently signed up for plus.net and it looks good, figured I'd probably do best to make my dad happy and show him a few alternatives. :p

I've had a look at adslguide.org.uk, running their search they asked me if I was bothered by Transparent Caching, anyone know what that is?

If u dont know what it is, then you're not bothered about it. ;)

Scikar
18-11-03, 22:29
I'm just worried it's some kind of shadowing so that they can monitor what I'm downloading (not that I'd do anything naughty :angel:).

Pi-Oh-Pah
18-11-03, 22:31
Im looking at Pipex 512k free set up and £23.44 per month or £17 set up (with modem and filters) and £23.44 per month

Scikar
18-11-03, 22:50
I think I'm going to go with the plus.net, at £21.99 a month. I'm going to get a router with it though, I need a built-in switch so I'm going to have to get one separate. My friend got a Solwise 715, but they're out of stock until 24th November and I'd like to get it before then. :p

So I'm now looking for a router, with preferably 4 port switching, and preferably available very soon.

Sanch0s
19-11-03, 00:48
www.adslguide.org all the uk bb isps with ratings on customer service speed price ect ect
Its got reviews from customers and represantatives of the companies. Browse throught that site and ull find the right bb for you.

Personally i got bulldog, but the customer service is shit and it took me 4 months to get connected.
Good Luck and i hope u choose a good isp your happy with!

Sanchos

I just read post u know :( oh well nm lol