PDA

View Full Version : [Brainport] n00b appreciation

-FN-
18-11-03, 03:08
In my shopping for a new MMORPG, I started playing Anarchy Online today. I joined up with a few other SXR members and we all were greeted by GM-typed players in our first 10 minutes (all in separate places).

Needless to say I was simply BLOWN AWAY that they even cared about new members. After asking them a few questions, each player apparently has a flag that GMs can check, greeted/ungreeted. If the player is still ungreeted, a GM-typed player is to greet them, ask them how they're doing, see if they can answer any questions, etc.

KK, take a hint ;)

RATE THE THREAD!

ghandisfury
18-11-03, 03:13
I agree.....I think we've lost about 80% of our *would be* players to the old MC5. If they only had a Mod stationed at MC5 untill it could be fixed we might have a much bigger player base. Anyhoo, 5 stars.

Jest
18-11-03, 03:14
Whoa awesome!!! They could even give certain players a sort of sub-GM status who wouldn't really have GM powers but could act as a greeter of sorts. Hell I have no interest in being a true GM but I'd definitely love to be able to greet new players and show them around and introduce them to the game. Geez that would help immensely.

Rento Webex
18-11-03, 03:15
I agree AO has a great community and with shadow lands it's getting even bigger, im thinking of starting an acount to see whats it's like but when I played it before, to be honest it bored the shit out of me.

-FN-
18-11-03, 03:16
Well I've also talked to many people who left because they didn't like the RPOS, the colours, or yes, they were confused by the MC5/n00b area.

The starting area has gotten some new signs tho that helps.

I saw a post awhile back about someone who sat over their friend's shoulder as they played NC for the first time. I'm going to be doing the same this week to see if anything else obviously unclear can be worked on...

Futureman
18-11-03, 03:26
Lol, you think GMs have time to do that? They are dealing with hundreds of help tickets a day dealing with PA bug concerns among other things, that is IF you catch them online. I say that noob starting area should be based in CA HQ and you should exit through the CA hq in Plaza 1.

Going to the wastes should be a discovery, not an automatic for every new player. I remember my first time in the wastes, and I was truely stunned. Now it sux.

LVirus
18-11-03, 09:33
Oh yes, in AO I was also stunned when going to nubie hunt area (Oh that that beats MC5 hands down 10-0 in any given time) when a GM (Not really a GM but counciler semi-GM players who have been given powers to be those "greeters") came to me and we sat down, and he explained everything to me veeeery slowly and made sure that I got everything. AO would be a nice game but seriously, that 3rd person camera is more shittier than Neocron's and it's supposed to be 3rd person game with TURNBASED attacks :D

phunqe
18-11-03, 09:44
As mentioned: There should be regular players with greeting "certification" :p
I mean, if I were a noob I would be greatful for every greeting I get.
Even if this isn't coming from a ubar GM :)

When I started my newest char a while back I lingered in MC5 a bit.
When I saw a new runner I said "hello". Some ppl just ran past me :p
But some people said hello back and asked some questions. I even offered some starter money from my other chars.
Ok, if you don't like the game, you don't like it.. simple as that, but I would be glad if I even could get 2-3 ppl to stay :)
I know I've made a difference now and the past for at least a handful of people I helped with cash and such, which I still see in game. Sure, they are not many, but if we all helped... :)

:D

deac
18-11-03, 10:51
yea same thing happend to me... too bad the game looks like shit and plays even worse...

Sundiver
18-11-03, 11:40
You really thought those interactive NPC's in the backyard were players? :D They are simply NPC's that understand what you are saying, at least parts of it.

Truth is, the NPC's in Anarchy Online got the best AI that I've seen so far in any MMO. Tell them to go to hell and they'll have an answer for you.. :p

Also, many vet players like to welcome newbies in the backyard training ground in AO. I was thrown out by accident at level 1 when I was new, and other players helped me out a great deal shortly after. A clan even picked me up, even though they usually never recruited low level players.

Pi-Oh-Pah
18-11-03, 12:07
Jumpgate had/has 'Empowered Players' who had minor GM powers to assist noobs and sort minor queries etc.

Dajuda
18-11-03, 12:08
Man thats a great idea, cause who wants to sit and talk to the NPCs in MC5 anyways. KK Take notes!

Jest
18-11-03, 18:19
Originally posted by Futureman
Lol, you think GMs have time to do that? They are dealing with hundreds of help tickets a day dealing with PA bug concerns among other things, that is IF you catch them online. Well I think EVERYONE can agree that we don't have enough GM resources to make them greeters, but like its been mentioned, there are plenty of people who would be willing to take on a role like this. I would definitely be quick to sign up for it myself.

jernau
18-11-03, 18:29
I like this idea but I have no idea if KK have the tools to allow players do this kind of thing.

El Barto
18-11-03, 22:25
Originally posted by -FN-
In my shopping for a new MMORPG, I started playing Anarchy Online today. I joined up with a few other SXR members and we all were greeted by GM-typed players in our first 10 minutes (all in separate places).

Needless to say I was simply BLOWN AWAY that they even cared about new members. After asking them a few questions, each player apparently has a flag that GMs can check, greeted/ungreeted. If the player is still ungreeted, a GM-typed player is to greet them, ask them how they're doing, see if they can answer any questions, etc.

KK, take a hint ;)

RATE THE THREAD!

Would be nice, but I bet their GMs are paid while ours arn't. Not saying that our GMs are ti lazy to do this, but they also have their own real life (wot ever that is) jobs to go to and can't be doing that much here.

Rizzy
18-11-03, 22:31
I had a BETA trial account for shadowlands on AO once. Within a few minutes a gm came to me too. Followed me round for 2 hours showing me what to do and how to play, 2 HOURS! and they wernt even being paid.