PDA

View Full Version : [Brainport] Faction specific benefits

Jest
17-11-03, 23:14
Ok similiar ideas of this nature appear on the forums about a jillion times before but I'm gonna go ahead and post another variation of them for the hell of it. I'd really like for the different factions to mean something and have a reason to be in each one besides roleplaying or who you are red too.

Thus each faction would have a benefit unique to it. And if I do say so myself, the ideas listed below are pretty sweet. Also your benefits will increase if you have completed the epic. (Note these would only work when you are a member of that faction. If you are Tangent, you only have the Tangent bonus).

Biotech - +10 to implant and 10% less skill requirements for implants. +20 to implant and 20% less with epic completed. (Example: Implant requiring 50 dex would require 40 dex for a Biotech player who has completed the epic).

BlackDragon - Drug time effect is doubled. With epic completed, drug time AND stat gain drugs are both doubled. (Example: A drug that gives +5 str and +10 agility would give a epic completed BD +10 str and +20 as well as lasting twice as long).

Crahn Sect - Mental steadiness and Psi power + 5, Psi Use + 15. Those stat bonuses are doubled with epic completion.

City Admin - (Ugh this was a hard one) + 25 to Barter, +10 to Weapon Lore. Doubled with epic. (Why? Because they have to be charismatic to stay in power and keep the people believing in them and weapon lore because I felt like giving them something extra damnit).

City Mercs - + 10 to Heavy Weapons and Melee, +20 to Heavy Weapons and Melee with epic.

Diamond Real Estate - Ok this faction is just plain ghey. I can't think of a friggin single thing that fits with it.

Fallen Angels - +5 Construct, + 5 Research, +5 Hacking, +5 High tech. Doubled with epic completion.

NEXT - Vehicle Use + 20, Repair + 20. Upon completion of the epic your driving speed for vehicles is increased by 50%.

ProtoPharma - No drug side effects. Upon completion of the epic, regenerative drugs are doubled. (Example, med kits, stamina boosters, psi boosters, chocolate).

Tangent Tech - +7 to pistol, rifle, and heavy. +15 upon epic completion.

Tsunami Syndicate - +7 to Body Health, Endurance, and Athletics. +15 to those stats after epic.

Twilight Guardian - +5 to resist poison, fire, xray, and energy. Doubled after epic. (Why? Because they live in a harsh environment).

Obviously some people will probably think one faction is favored over another so feel free to comment and tweek the benefits to what you think would fit. But anyways, seems like it would be real cool to have something like this.

Bump and rate if you like please. :D

Dribble Joy
17-11-03, 23:20
erm.......

Ugh, most of your ideas are really cool, but this kinda is a bit poop.

Virtually everyone would go into BT, Crahn or possibly BD.

There would be no-one in CM exept tanks.
Tangent would be PEs
FA would be tradeskilling spys.

I know these things fit with the factions, but it would create huge game imbalances. The vast majority of people don't RP and would go where they can exploit the faction 'stats'.

KimmyG
17-11-03, 23:20
Best idea I have seen in a long time.

5 stars

Jest
17-11-03, 23:30
Originally posted by Dribble Joy
erm.......

Tangent would be PEs

I know these things fit with the factions, but it would create huge game imbalances. The vast majority of people don't RP and would go where they can exploit the faction 'stats'. Nah I dont think so. I definitely don't think every one would go to Biotech, though that is a pretty wicked bonus. (I suggested it good on purpose as I'd really love to see more people there). CM wouldn't be only tanks, but it would attract tanks and bring the other classes with it. Tangent would be beneficial for spies, PEs, and tanks. And in reality FA is mainly tradeskilling spies, this bonus would help them though. And being an FA myself I will gladly take that +10 high tech. It is beneficial to spies, PEs, and tanks. My researcher PPU would definitely love that +10 research also. I wouldnt change my faction to Tangent just because my setup would benefit more. And though EVERY one benfits with the Crahn bonus, its in reality not that spectacular of a benefit.

Personally I think it gives a way for people wanting to actually play their faction and even larger reason to play it. The only concern I have is the CA bonus, which imo is still pretty cool, but I'm worried it wont attract as many people as I'd like.

Dribble Joy
17-11-03, 23:32
I sugested some faction benefits a while ago but it wasn't in a specific thread so it got kinda lost.

Things that don't make the factions so 'desireable'.
The main thing was things like.
Getting a fortress bonus in your home area, which increases with the epic.
Eg. CMs get a bonus in MB sectors and on epic completion, J_01.
TG get the same with the canyon and the entrance sector with the epic.
CA/TT/BT/NEXT/PP get a bonus in ViaRosso, Plaza sectors/sewers and thier respective HQs. On epic completion, they can draw weapons in these sectors without being shot (this after the non-safe zone changes), shooting a Copbot obviously means death.
BD/TS/Crahn get it in PP/Outzone.
FA obiously TH, and the sectors at the entrances with the epic.

Pikester
17-11-03, 23:35
Excellent idea..
When I first joined NC and Biotech, I read all the blurb about the company (why, I don't know) and wondered where I could get all these nifty implants that they made.
It's like KK originally intended the factions to have individual benefits, because they are pretty well balanced in terms of what they do and what their specialty is.

As for everyone flocking to one faction, that is something that would need to be addressed with that ominous keyword balance.

Since there has been so many problems with balancing classes, I feel that adding the extra variables will make it mega difficult to get right.

So IMHO it's another really good idea that I think would be too problematic to impliment :( .

~Pike

iainy13
17-11-03, 23:43
I like the ones that give stat bonuses but I dont know bout the ones that give no drug fuzzies and double affects. Maybe if they where tweaked a little, as alot of people would totaly abuse the no drug sideaffects thing with pp. But otherweise i think its a great idea.

Scikar
17-11-03, 23:52
It's a good idea, for once it's not just faction bonuses for the sake of it like this idea has been in previous incarnations. The bonuses (apart from the drug ones) are pretty good, enough to be worthwhile, not so much that people herd towards specific factions. The only ones that concern me really are the TS, TG, BD and PP bonuses. TG I think is OK, but could potentially be a little overpowered (I can see 5 to each con resist saving me a fair few points to spend). Likewise with the Tsunami bonus, frees up quite a lot of con points. Though considering the other factions have their own bonuses, it does kinda balance out (TG can maybe take more damage, CM can maybe dish out a little more).

The PP bonus would have a similar effect, with no side effects I would be popping resist pots and all the other drugs like there's no tomorrow. The BD one concerns me because double drug rewards would mean very easy drugging to spy weapons for PEs, something that's always pissed me off. But again, it's not really too overpowering. So I'm a little concerned about BD, TG and TS, and a little more concerned about PP. :)

KimmyG
17-11-03, 23:53
Originally posted by Dribble Joy
erm.......

Tangent would be PEs

I know these things fit with the factions, but it would create huge game imbalances. The vast majority of people don't RP and would go where they can exploit the faction 'stats'.

Um factions overflooded with people? what does that change?

Anyway its the overall idea I like of gaing something from being in a faction.

Jest
18-11-03, 00:11
Originally posted by Scikar
It's a good idea, for once it's not just faction bonuses for the sake of it like this idea has been in previous incarnations. The bonuses (apart from the drug ones) are pretty good, enough to be worthwhile, not so much that people herd towards specific factions. The only ones that concern me really are the TS, TG, BD and PP bonuses. TG I think is OK, but could potentially be a little overpowered (I can see 5 to each con resist saving me a fair few points to spend). Likewise with the Tsunami bonus, frees up quite a lot of con points. Though considering the other factions have their own bonuses, it does kinda balance out (TG can maybe take more damage, CM can maybe dish out a little more).

The PP bonus would have a similar effect, with no side effects I would be popping resist pots and all the other drugs like there's no tomorrow. The BD one concerns me because double drug rewards would mean very easy drugging to spy weapons for PEs, something that's always pissed me off. But again, it's not really too overpowering. So I'm a little concerned about BD, TG and TS, and a little more concerned about PP. :) Hmmm lets see if I can tweak em any. I think you had the same feeling I did with TG. At first I was like, well thats too much, but then in reality it wouldn't be any more of a bonus than the rest. As for TS, maybe drop the Athletics and Health bonus to 5/10. (I like the high endurance haha). Perhaps with BD, there can be an added negative. 66% longer "downer" time without epic and 33% with. Either that or keep the same negative effect time but make it so that if a BD isn't on drugs then he has a sort of "articifical" syn amp due to his dependancy on the drugs. And with the PP maybe make it so that the bonus drugs are halved. +5 dex would only give the PP player +3, or +25 energy resist would only give the PP +13. That would probably fit pretty well.

And I think both the BD and PP would totally fit. The BD would most likely be trying to get more bang for his buck and the PP would want the benefits without the side effects. If you have in your head the idea about a PP that is constantly popping pills and med kits for the benefits or a BD that is becoming uber strong for a short amount of time I think both those ideas fit perfectly.

MegaCorp
18-11-03, 00:34
Great idea!!! I may not agree with the individual bonuses listed for each faction, but i think the overall notion is terrific. 5 Stars.

Spook

[TgR]HusK
18-11-03, 02:25
5 stars.

I like this idea, but it will create a big load of new balancing problems.
Lets make the benefits lower and only work when the epic is done(so lowbies don't benefit from it with leveling) and they offcourse are in that faction.

To solve the balancing a bit I've removed all fighting skills to something more into trade, having extra into trade can mean you can put extra into another skill if you want so some way it could come back to fighting skills, but not as big as it was and also cause the boosts are alot lower in my ideas.

Now offcourse I have to give examples so I'll make another possible list:

Biotech - IMP+5 (because they work with implants every day)

BlackDragon - Time of drug effects increased to 150% (that because they sell drugs and know better than anyone how to extend its effects)

Crahn Sect - RES+5 ( research because they are basicly researchers, remember they invented the gentank.)

City Admin - WEP+5 (they are extreemly experienced at controlling people and making war, which tought them swift aiming)

City Mercs - TRA+5 (they always run around with heavy guns with heavy ammo and also need to carry bombs and such for the assasination, makes a heavy load :x )

Diamond Real Estate - BRT+5 (They have only one goal: money money money :x obviously they know how to barter for higher sales and lower costs)

Fallen Angels - CST+5 (They consist out of developers who want to build better things, explains the extra care they give to there work)

NEXT - VHC+5 (They build vehicles all day long so they obviously have less trouble understanding how to drive what they make.)

ProtoPharma - REC+5 ( they develop cures out of all sorts of items, which gives them an advantage in recycling materials into something new)

Tangent Tech - HCK+5 (they designed the terminal software etc so hacking will be easier for them)

Tsunami Syndicate - Snow effect from drugs reduced to 50% (that because they live in PP where everyone uses drugs and thus know how to deal with the after effects ;) )

Twilight Guardian - TRA+5 (they always run around with bazooks and cannons which are very heavy and have very heavy ammo)

Dome of York - WEP+5 (they are extreemly experienced at war(s) which tought them swift aiming)

Anarchy Breed - REP+5 (since they are very poor they need to use alot of used items and repair them over and over again)

Traders Union - BRT+5 ( same as with DRE, money money money :x )

Egeon
18-11-03, 02:46
I'd give factionsrunners benefits not in means of +something in some stat, but by the ability to do something better than the member of another faction.

Also this stuff intends to increase trade between players:

e.g.

DRE: Only they are able to sell PRO-City apps/clan-apps. (anti-city apts would be found in the HQ of the other anti-NC factions)

PP: Ability to construct medikits and drugs FAR cheaper than (almost) anyone other.

FA: As told in the story they'd be able to provide TG with medicine and information (like hackable last location limited to FA in certain circumstances, like an event or while some story going on).
Medicine stuff is about the ability to give faction runners the ability to produce Medipacks/drugs at a cheaper price than other faction runners, but not that cheap as PP.

CA: ability to "track down" criminals (low SL runners) as well as CA enemies in Neocron city (not PP/Outzone/industrial area).

These are only some examples: I posted similar (more complete)stuff already months ago in the brainport.
I know it's not possible to give "the" perfectly balanced idea to everything regarding factions, in some short words said: I think faction benefits should not be directly combat benefits, but it should resemble the role a runner has, when he is a member of a certain faction.

[TgR]HusK
18-11-03, 02:59
hmm yes in some way that would be better.
it would indeed be cooler as it realy adds something to the game instead of doing the same thing over and over again :p (give boosts)

-FN-
18-11-03, 02:59
This is awesome :) 5 stars... I'll post some ideas if I come up with any.

Calabim
18-11-03, 05:06
Great work Jest,
But i have to agree with the new content rather than more bonuses.

But certainly something ill try and think about myself.

Marx
18-11-03, 06:01
I like the idea of faction specific bonuses - I just don't like the ones you've put forward.

Like Dribble said: Most people would switch into factions for the stats meaning all tradeskillers would be FA, etc.

Freaky Fryd
18-11-03, 07:34
I think that when doubling some of the bonuses, they go from decent and fair, to a little excessive.

I'd like to see maybe a decent sized tradeskill bonus for each faction, and a small combat one on top of that.

Regardless, I love the overall idea, and like some of the ones you laid out for us too!

5 stars!

Scikar
18-11-03, 11:29
Originally posted by Calabim
Great work Jest,
But i have to agree with the new content rather than more bonuses.

But certainly something ill try and think about myself.

This is just coding, so all it needs is a coder to add it in. Content requires GMs, artists, modellers etc. This wouldn't need any of thaty so it wouldn't slow anything down.

Pikester
18-11-03, 14:56
Does it not seem to anyone else like the game was originally designed to house some kind of benefit of being a member of X faction?

They fit together well.

Also I agree, you dont want all of one class ending up in one faction, there needs to be a spread, not sure how you would get round that.

~Pike

Archeus
18-11-03, 15:11
The bonus points are too high. A much lower bonus should be awarded both at creation and epic completion.

Maybe you can have it like this.

At creation - Only the faction you are in you can get the bonus from.

Epic completion - You get the minor bonus even if you switch factions.

This would give paladins something.

DRE should get Barter.

Another thing is not to have the bonus unless you have the stats in that skill. Eg. +5 hack if you have at least 1 hack point in that skill otherwise 0 points. Maybe have the bonus points apply only at character completion.

One other suggestion for Epic completion is to move the sweet spot for the skill lower (so if 140 is the sweetspot, it moves to 120).

Jest
18-11-03, 18:43
Originally posted by Archeus
The bonus points are too high. A much lower bonus should be awarded both at creation and epic completion.

Maybe you can have it like this.

At creation - Only the faction you are in you can get the bonus from.

Epic completion - You get the minor bonus even if you switch factions.

This would give paladins something.

DRE should get Barter. Yah they just might be too high but I'd definitely push for a faction only benefit. I wouldn't want people to feel forced to do every epic just for the bonuses and my main reasoning was to make the factions unique as possible. And yes DRE should probably get barter I just had already given CA barter and couldn't think of any thing better for CA. :p

Also Egeon put forth some good ideas too about not necessarily giving unqiue skill bonuses, but at least giving each faction something unique. Like a vendor only your faction can buy from. (Which would promote player run trade). And as Scikar mentioned these aren't really arbitrary bonuses. They are meant to encourage people to take an active part in the role of their faction. It would make me feel more like a part of my faction where for example if I am a NEXT runner, I would be more inclined to take up the repair ability than if the bonus was not there. Would a lot of NEXT runners suddenly move to repair? I would hope so, thats partially the point. :)