PDA

View Full Version : More mobs for the southern OPs?

RayBob
17-11-03, 21:23
The northern OPs give clans access to nice WB and fire mob hunting grounds. However, the lower 1/3 of the OPs have little in the way of tech-dropping mobs to hunt. Why?

I also think there should be some "clan-level" mobs. They could add some huge 180/180 mob that no single player could possibly take down. It might encourage clans to hunt them together for a little variety. These mobs should have better drop rates so you would get 2-6 techs per kill. Another idea would be a herd-type mob where they are always in groups of 10+ and they always move and attack together. This would also require a clan-level effort. Just a thought.

Ray

superfresh
17-11-03, 22:25
I agree. As of now there are really just 2 big high-level hunting areas - those around the MB and those around TG. Although there are a couple of less frequented ones, they're in the middle of nowhere. One or two places near the city might be good.

It would be nice if TH had some high level mobs to be proud of as well, but that's been covered pretty thoroughly in other threads.

There IS a clan mob. It's called MC5. :) Try soloing the commander and you'll see...

Shadow Dancer
18-11-03, 00:41
I agree 100%.

Heavyporker
18-11-03, 10:11
Jeez... that's sorta beautiful... But there are Y Reps around Ceres Mine and north of McPherson... and Hoverbots around Foster Uplink and Redrock.

and besides, you think anyone could survive going out of the Neocron City gates if there wer 180/180 mobs waiting around?

And jeez... aren't there a herd mentality around the mobs already? Piss off one, the others get on your ass.

IceStorm
18-11-03, 10:25
The northern OPs give clans access to nice WB and fire mob hunting grounds. However, the lower 1/3 of the OPs have little in the way of tech-dropping mobs to hunt. Why?
Because if you drive from NC to other zones, you'll notice the rank on the mobs increases the further you get from NC. As NC is the city where most new players start, it wouldn't do to walk out the Big Door and into a 93/93 Hover mob.

I don't think it's a good idea to put higher level mobs right outside the Big Door or the few zones around the Big Door. Stronger mobs on the western border, halfway between Mil Base and NC, might be worth investigating, as would be mobs to the southt between NC and Foster.

I agree. As of now there are really just 2 big high-level hunting areas - those around the MB and those around TG.
So those Warbots and Hoverbots in the sectors around the TH north entrance are there just for me, not to mention the caves? There are plenty of Warbots a sector or two EAST of the northern TH exit.

Dissenter
18-11-03, 11:37
It would be nice if TH had some high level mobs to be proud of as well, but that's been covered pretty thoroughly in other threads.

Hoverbombers + Batqueen.

jernau
18-11-03, 12:07
I partly agree.

I do think that now GRs are locked down there needs to be a re-appraisal of the hunting areas.

It is still perfectly possible to level in any faction but in a lot of cases you now only have one real option which is pretty shitty.

IMO there should be some new high-level levelling caves somewhere in the SW of the map. Similar to the chaos caves XP-wise but not design wise. I'd like a really multi-level cave, one zone but 3 or 4 levels (like a city sector) so you have to work down through harder and harder mobs to something really nasty. Not nasty in a retarded-design MC5 way but harder than the current boss mobs.

That said - before this we desperately need some mid-level dungeons. Somewhere for < to <<< runners to go and really push their limits instead of farming launchers. Regents may be turning into this atm (I hope) but even if so it needs to be finished and will need a new GR on it's doorstep. KK still haven't put in the GRs and ASGs we were promised when they locked the GRs so I'm not holding my breath.

@icestorm - caves shouldn't be a problem for lowbies. They just don't go in there and they are fine :p. The first time I went in a worm cave I was a << spy and I learnt pretty quick it wasn't for me.

Pi-Oh-Pah
18-11-03, 12:13
Originally posted by jernau
-

@icestorm - caves shouldn't be a problem for lowbies. They just don't go in there and they are fine :p. The first time I went in a worm cave I was a << spy and I learnt pretty quick it wasn't for me.

I did this too - Ive never been back with any character :P

IceStorm
18-11-03, 12:34
I was referenceing the caves as a higher level location when RayBob said there are only two places to find such mobs, it seemed.

I've been in the caves, using a Stealth III. When I saw the 100/100 bat, I left. I have been a worm tunnel twice. The second time I made it out with 20 health left. I won't be going back until I have a proper PPU. :-)

garyu69
18-11-03, 12:35
Surely if the South of the map had loads of High Level Mobs then it would make it very hard for Noobs to walk north.

jernau
18-11-03, 12:54
Originally posted by garyu69
Surely if the South of the map had loads of High Level Mobs then it would make it very hard for Noobs to walk north.

Not if they were only in caves.

I liked the idea of going North = harder mobs when GRs were open to all but right now it's a nuisance.

Even if they added the promised GRs and ASGs most of the prime levelling zones are still in areas that many factions are KOS in and therefore can't level at.

Dissenter
18-11-03, 13:00
Swamp Caves at Gravis, and some near by zones.

jernau
18-11-03, 13:08
Originally posted by Dissenter
Swamp Caves at Gravis, and some near by zones.

It is still perfectly possible to level in any faction but in a lot of cases you now only have one real option which is pretty shitty.

Indeed.;)

IceStorm
18-11-03, 13:18
Is there a cave, anywhere, where a Spy can find Warbot-caliber opponents with decent cover and range to use rifles? I don't know of such an animal. All the indoor areas require PPUs or the CON/armor of Tanks/PEs, I thought.

jernau
18-11-03, 13:22
Originally posted by IceStorm
Is there a cave, anywhere, where a Spy can find Warbot-caliber opponents with decent cover and range to use rifles? I don't know of such an animal. All the indoor areas require PPUs or the CON/armor of Tanks/PEs, I thought.

Well range+caves doesn't make a huge amount of sense tbh. Caves are more AoE based fast-XP things IMO. Until we get an AoE rifle fire-mobs are the way for a rifler to level fast. Gaia Mine entrance is bloody fast levelling on a rifle spy. Again though - it's deep in TG territory so not available to a lot of people.

Scikar
18-11-03, 14:36
Point Red Storage?

Ryuben
18-11-03, 14:42
Originally posted by Scikar
Point Red Storage?

:eek: you can solo point red storage?

jernau
18-11-03, 14:53
Point Red Storage?

You get good XP/hour in Point Red Storage?

Scikar
18-11-03, 14:55
Yes.... just keep moving. The mobs only do force and fire damage, tank PA + inq + bones is enough to stop that, PE's get their blessed deflector + similar armor, spies go with heavy fire belt and good old battle armor. There's no excuse for a spy or PE not to have high resist force so the damage isn't too much of a problem. Then there's the fact that you just have to keep moving and you don't get hit anyway, and if you do, you can always hop back a room to heal. Con xp is great, and you even end up with a bunch of Judgement Day launchers which are good for mid level runners in your clan to level with, not to mention there's always the chance you'll find a Strange Book.

EDIT: It's maybe not as good xp as being in the Chaos Caves, but that's because I go solo. Treat it more like hunting fire mobs than Chaos mobs, you can't stick a barrel or AoE down for some nice XP I suppose, but Doom Harbingers are easier for me to kill than Grim Chasers.

jernau
18-11-03, 15:03
Yes.... just keep moving. The mobs only do force and fire damage, tank PA + inq + bones is enough to stop that, PE's get their blessed deflector + similar armor, spies go with heavy fire belt and good old battle armor. There's no excuse for a spy or PE not to have high resist force so the damage isn't too much of a problem. Then there's the fact that you just have to keep moving and you don't get hit anyway, and if you do, you can always hop back a room to heal. Con xp is great, and you even end up with a bunch of Judgement Day launchers which are good for mid level runners in your clan to level with, not to mention there's always the chance you'll find a Strange Book.

All this is true but unless you want to level Tank CON it sucks for XP. It also gives shitty nc compared to many other caves. Tanks CON is much quicker in other caves too.

PR is nice 'cos it's usually empty and all (Callida even more so) but it's not a good levelling spot.

btw - If you want a challenge solo PR on a droner. It can be done but it's bloody hard work.

Jesterthegreat
18-11-03, 15:03
Doom Harbingers are easier for me to kill than Grim Chasers.

i dont wanna do a 1 word reply... but OMG...

my spy out heals a single grim (assuming he does instant damage - not the stacking damage [it seems random?], then i slowly die :p)... he would get annihilated by a Doom Harbinger lol

Scikar
18-11-03, 15:13
That's why I like PR Jest, tank's main armor is force/piercing, energy is secondary. All of the high level mobs bar the ones in PR are energy, fire or poison based. Fire is OK because I can get a ridiculous amount of fire armor from Inq, but it gets too boring after a while, and I'm left with the choice of energy, which means tech mobs I can't hack or suicide in worm tunnels, poison, which is either boring Chaos Cave style or nasty Graves/ Crystal Caves style. PR on the other hand is easy to setup armor for, while still levelling my con nicely, and it's easier to get to the DH than it is to get to Chaos Queen, therefore higher chance of Strange Book which = lotsa cash if I find one.

EDIT: Btw you DO know that if a fire mob doesn't set you on fire it doesn't actually do any damage? It just yo-yos back up if they hit but there's no fire stack.

Parappa
18-11-03, 15:17
El farid is a nice place to level, specially for low to midlevel runners. Only problems are getting there and taking the heat ;)

P.S It's a real bitch to get there because the GR STILL doesn't work.... god damnit.

garyu69
18-11-03, 15:21
If you want some high level Mobs whats wrong with the Y-Reps?

jernau
18-11-03, 15:31
If you want some high level Mobs whats wrong with the Y-Reps?

Again, it's XP/hour for levelling we're talking about.

There's a lot of dead time in Y-Rep hunting.

Shadow Dancer
18-11-03, 15:36
I wish they had more zones with gaia mines' type of crazy spawn.

garyu69
18-11-03, 15:41
Again, it's XP/hour for levelling we're talking about.

There's a lot of dead time in Y-Rep hunting. The original post is about Mobs with Tech drops

superfresh
18-11-03, 15:49
Do hoverbombers, etc, spawn with enough frequency to be a viable hunting mob? I remember clearing Redrock once and after waiting a good half hour no more returned...

jernau
18-11-03, 15:53
The original post is about Mobs with Tech drops

OK, it's XP/hour for levelling I'm talking about. :p

Part drops are IMO less of an issue as there are 2 open GRs in the north with part-dropping mobs near them.

Morris
18-11-03, 16:00
Originally posted by superfresh
Do hoverbombers, etc, spawn with enough frequency to be a viable hunting mob? I remember clearing Redrock once and after waiting a good half hour no more returned...

Not really. I hunt them occasionally with my rifle spy at Emmerson and j07 when I get bored of warbots, but sometimes I run around for 20 minutes shooting every bat, roach, and cyberdog I see without spawning a single hover.

Plus looting the things is damn near impossible at times since they always get stuck in a tree or on a slope O_o

garyu69
18-11-03, 16:04
OK, it's XP/hour for levelling I'm talking about. :p

Part drops are IMO less of an issue as there are 2 open GRs in the north with part-dropping mobs near them. Stick a wormhole down south too then :) They are always good for levelling. I see what you mean on the XP/per hour thing. And it is hard for a newish person to reach the north without dying a lot or getting lucky with the venture warp.