PDA

View Full Version : Option to change character name?

Krll
17-11-03, 15:20
Just browsing the Ultima On-line web site, and I notice they have an option (which costs money) to change your character's name.

Would you like KK to offer such a service? I know I wouldn't mind renaming at least one of my characters, and it might be a good secondary income for KK.

Well?

-Krll

Jesterthegreat
17-11-03, 15:23
people would randomly pk and/or steal items claiming to be tradeskillers and change names.

hell no.

nice idea - but too many downsides IMHO

Richard Slade
17-11-03, 15:25
If it's a one time possibility, yeah good idea
For those who need it
I like my name already
And people need to know when there's incoming spammers ;)

Ultima
17-11-03, 15:26
i agree with the 'NO'

It would make it easier for rogue traders to con ppl and once they have everything they need they could just rename and start a clean slate but kitted up to the teeth for free :/

Jesterthegreat
17-11-03, 15:27
lol @ ultimas sig >.<

Richard Slade
17-11-03, 15:30
Name tracking then
Problem solved
Add name change!

ElfinLord
17-11-03, 15:31
Originally posted by Jesterthegreat
lol @ ultimas sig >.<
Too bad it's too big, but it is hella funny!:D

Anyway, back on topic, I agree that it's a good idea, but it could be far too exploitable, IMO.

/edit - and it shouldn't be free. (helps to deter exploiters)

Jesterthegreat
17-11-03, 15:33
Originally posted by ElfinLord
Too bad it's too big, but it is hella funny!:D

12 pixels LMAO

baaad ultima :p

name tracking? why? if its possible to change names it will happen. taking peoples items instead of repairing is allowed according to the rules.

taking stuff then changing names will happen wheter its tracked or not - why would anyone care if KK knew your name? lol

Xizor
17-11-03, 15:34
No.
I agree with Jesterthegreat

Richard Slade
17-11-03, 15:35
*sigh*
Well to CLEARIFY this:
Nametracking in CityCom
DUH!

Ultima
17-11-03, 15:36
i thought i measured it up to the er one I er copied without admitting I er was copying anything err...

lol - bans u all for spamming off topic <kicks self, your NOT a GM Ulti> :wtf:

Jesterthegreat
17-11-03, 15:37
then whats the point in changing names?

and why would runners have access to personal info like that on random people?

'ah ha... it appears they now call themselves NC Junkie 2...'

Richard Slade
17-11-03, 15:40
The reason for name change is the fact that people calling themself
"n00b0r d3lux" and got quite far with the char might not want to
try to make anything serious with that name
BUT if "n00b0r d3lux" could be called "Johnny Bomb" instead he might be more serious
(Or like my Res "The Industry Of 7 Deadly Sins" might want a new name
Now when he's not stuck in clan apt and actually do stuff..)

Jesterthegreat
17-11-03, 15:42
fair enough... but why should everyone automatically know what you change your name too?

i am tryin to see this from your point of view - and i understand you are a Resser, but that doesnt mean everyone wants their changes to be made public - and i dont think it should be forced on them.

well... i dont think it should happen at all

Richard Slade
17-11-03, 15:44
Public since I might just get the urge to steal as much as possible with Industry
And then change name to something else
And then something else
And then something else
And just say "Hey i'm Roe with new name!"
And Yeah Roe'd love that I bet :p

superfresh
17-11-03, 15:47
You need a name to stick a reputation to.

Krll
17-11-03, 15:48
people would randomly pk and/or steal items claiming to be tradeskillers and change names.

Good point, but surely having a charge would help cut down on that somewhat?

And I agree with Richard Slade about chars with dumb names. I've got a char called Weregarurumon (a Digimon character) that could do with a slightly better name these days.

-Krll

Jesterthegreat
17-11-03, 15:51
Originally posted by Richard Slade
Public since I might just get the urge to steal as much as possible with Industry
And then change name to something else
And then something else
And then something else
And just say "Hey i'm Roe with new name!"
And Yeah Roe'd love that I bet :p

hence why it shouldnt happen at all...

Originally posted by Krll
Good point, but surely having a charge would help cut down on that somewhat?

And I agree with Richard Slade about chars with dumb names. I've got a char called Weregarurumon (a Digimon character) that could do with a slightly better name these days.

-Krll

the charge would make no difference. we all know peeps sell shit on EBay... they could prolly earn money if this was implemented O_o

unless its a stupid amount to change a name - which would be a total waste

Felissa
17-11-03, 15:51
As far as I know KK can change the names, but you need a good reason for it (ingame marriage, you get harassed, or you have chosen a name which interferes with the rules).

Jesterthegreat
17-11-03, 15:52
well yeah... im sure KK can change your name from 'OMFG im a ************! i will kill j00 all cos i am german!'

this is not a racist comment... i am showing a name that is against the rules. i will balance it if you like and do a second name thats the complete opposite? :p

TheDuckMan
17-11-03, 15:55
I said no simply because this game has bugs in it still and we dont need anything else that could mess up our characters. Also because of your poll. The option of
"Sleeping with dead animals, but without any crude or vulgar words like the kiddies like adding these days."

Heh uummm.... half of this community is probably under 18. When ever you make fun of younger people your only hurting the community. So instead of giving another idea to the community your really only hurting it.

Krll
17-11-03, 15:58
Originally posted by TheDuckMan
Heh uummm.... half of this community is probably under 18. When ever you make fun of younger people your only hurting the community. So instead of giving another idea to the community your really only hurting it.

My apologies. When I say kiddies, I mean immature people, not necessarily young people. I quite often refer to 30+ year olds as kiddies if they do something stupid/ignorant/immature (such as smoking on a petrol station forecourt, or razzing off at 60+ with wheel spins and all down a residential road).

And after some of the points people have made, I wish I hadn't put the "(Why?!) on the no option now either.

-Krll

Jesterthegreat
17-11-03, 16:05
hehe... cos your idea was ripped to shreds or cos its causing an arguement? lol

tbh its a nice idea - but with the community as it is it will be used for exploits / cheating people 90% of the time

Krll
18-11-03, 00:49
hehe... cos your idea was ripped to shreds or cos its causing an arguement? lol

Because people brought up good points which I hadn't thought of before. I didn't think there was a good argument against it, but I was proven wrong.

Please at least give me some credit.

I didn't think it was ripped to shreds though, more gently shown that it wasn't as great as I originally thought. I would have hoped you were mature enough to be doing the latter anyway.

-Krll

Shadow Dancer
18-11-03, 00:52
Excellent idea.

It COULD have the following restrictions.

1.One time use.

2.People can track what your last name was.

3.It costs tons of XP as well.

Or it could have no restrictions, but I love the idea.

Viduus[JBX]
18-11-03, 01:47
Originally posted by Felissa
As far as I know KK can change the names, but you need a good reason for it (ingame marriage, you get harassed, or you have chosen a name which interferes with the rules).
Who do I contact about that?
Use the ingame help system or mail someone with *real* email...?

Jesterthegreat
18-11-03, 02:12
i would pressume its abuse@neocron.com