View Full Version : Question to ask you guys about (warning, intelligent players only)

Heavyporker
17-11-03, 04:52
There, that should filter out about 99% of the spammers and idiots.

Why does almost no one go to the RPG forums?

I mean, I see you people whining that the storyline and such isn't enough, that KK-sponsored events aren't enough, that you're bored...

But hell, we got superb stuff on the RPG forums (well, only the English Pluto and Stories+Artwork forums, because of NERD, Delmann, and me ( :D ) )

No one even commented on Delmann's Opened Eyes, Part Two, even though the first part was a knock down superb piece of science-fiction. So few have gone to read the stories written by dedicated fans of Neocron. Why is everyone's eyes focused solely on the dribblets of furtherance in the overarching storyline as KK releases them?

Hell, the neocronicle and NEMA even seems to be suffering a bit.

Isn't all life about the small stuff? The happenings that doesn't show up on the newspapers or lights up the sky from half a continent away? Aren't you interested in surrounding yourself with a living, breathing world that grows deeper the more fertile the environment becomes?

Do you have eyes only for more baddies to drown with viridian gas and ocher flame? You just want to stand around and chant "WTB tech to Cannon of ShitFlinger and core to Spell of Infinite Diarrhea, will trade hull of Crap-Flecked Sword" as if saying them confirms your existence?

Come on, flock to the RPG forums, and search out the stories lovingly crafted to paint the world of Neocron in deeper hues than Concrete Gray, Desert Sand Brown, Terrormauler Tan, and Pepper Park Red.

Keiron
17-11-03, 05:25
I don't agree, there are a lot of intelligent people there, just very not that many of them are mature...

SovKhan
17-11-03, 05:30
I tried to RP one day, everyone just sort of looked at me like i was insane in P1 and did not say anything back. so i stopped.

Peeping Tom
17-11-03, 05:34
i jsut checked RPG section and remembered why i dont check so often..
Saturn\uranus got like 3 topich the last 30 days
PLuto.. mostly clan vs clan post etc booring shit for me atleast
Nerd section whell i dident read much of the first post's . and its just to many pages to read now if i want to get it all...
besides reading the daily spam realy turns me off from the other sections on this forum
K4F

nonamebrandeggs
17-11-03, 05:41
I don't count as a part of my own faction, fuck RP.

Peeping Tom
17-11-03, 05:44
Originally posted by nonamebrandeggs
I don't count as a part of my own faction, fuck RP.
think your the 99% he talked about :\ sry kiddo
K4F

Spoon
17-11-03, 07:19
I can't RP very well.....

I manage to stay incharacter for, ohhh, about 30 seconds........:o

REMUS
17-11-03, 07:27
becuase we pay KK to provide us a storyline? we can only do so much heavy, if a player organises an event its pretty bloody obvious its not going to make any difference to the storyline, unless you are in direct contact with the gms and even then you are basically doing the GM's job.

heavy file to become a gm, only callash it seems is doing alot and i dont even know if he is a gm, that doesnt mean i think carbonite and the rest of the KK scooby gang arnt doing anything, it just means we cant see much of their work in between patchs

gostly
17-11-03, 08:50
easy enough...the storlyline isnt enforced enough...we dont need just events every 5 or 6 months...their should be a monthly storyline to the game...that gets enforced by special things happening for that month only...many other mmorpg's ive played do this...but neocron doesnt...that's why i do play other mmorpg's...most of them have monthly storyline's and it makes things more fun...

why RP when you'll just get responses in-game like "why are you talking like that?" it's too late for RP in neocron...it shouldve been more enforced near the beginning of retail...

you dont have to agree, but it's just what i think ;\

Lanigav
17-11-03, 09:02
To be honest, I've never been a fan of roleplaying. Sure, I'll do some little stuff like faction roleplaying on occasion, but outside that, its just not my thing.

Not to say that I don't enjoy it when others do though. ;)

L0KI
17-11-03, 10:19
Originally posted by Peeping Tom
think your the 99% he talked about :\ sry kiddo
K4F

No thats bollocks. Perhaps it is you that doesnt understand noname's point? :rolleyes:

noname has made a fantastic point, and i'll tell you now, his answer accounts for about 50% of the "intelligent" people and their opinions, including my own.

We have no say in the faction, hence its not OUR faction.

Pi-Oh-Pah
17-11-03, 10:56
Originally posted by Heavyporker

Everytime Ive gone there it says no new posts in the last XX amount of days - So I pretty much stopped looking.

*edited cos I cant spell until I've had meh mornin' coffee*:rolleyes:

17-11-03, 11:26
Because 99% of players think NC is just an FPS with levelling

ericdraven
17-11-03, 11:37
Originally posted by 5150
So true.

•Super|\|ova•
17-11-03, 11:50
Well, as you already know, I write there regularly. Pluto really seems to be the only server with a bit RPG spirit... sad, very sad.

Richard Slade
17-11-03, 11:52
1. If u RP you still get ganked over and over in a very non-RP way.
And doing RP vs non-RP isn't that fun you know

2. Mentioned before: People just think your insane

3. I don't want to READ about the world I'm in
I want to see it with my own eyes damnit.

4. As Noname said, no one has a faction, 'cept FC's that is
And CM, of course, because Cm are... Well.. CM, but we don't like 'em anyways :p

5. As 5150 (Read upside down and spell out OSIS in leet speak
which means "Tough shit" in swedish btw ;) ) said
"Because 99% of players think NC is just an FPS with levelling"

Oath
17-11-03, 11:58
Wheeeeee i min 1%, im a minority, like people into bestiality............../me changes subject FAST.

*ahem*

well, i try to Rp, less and less now though.

Dribble Joy
17-11-03, 14:00
As slade said, RPing when others won't is just frustrating.

I like to RP, I AM availiable for hire as a merc, OP fight assistance and contract killlings.
People would be more inclined to RP if it had a larger/any impact on the world around them. As it stands, NC is a FPS with lvling, RP is fun but ultimately has to end value or point to it.
At least not yet.

NeoChick
17-11-03, 14:20
I was just going to reply to this thread and then realised it is only for intelligent players..............sorry, bowing out

Presently I am just a dumb tank

Richard Slade
17-11-03, 14:51
Originally posted by NeoChick
I was just going to reply to this thread and then realised it is only for intelligent players..............sorry, bowing out

Presently I am just a dumb tank

And female too! Go build a house instead and leave this sensitive
emotinal talk to us men
(Internal, stupid, but quite fun joke)

Marneus Calgar
17-11-03, 14:54
I have tried to meny times now ingame to RP and then be called a moron by someone (almost everybody I meet) cuse they dont understand that I RP... and dont even know what RP is :mad:

Krll
17-11-03, 15:27

Apathy and laziness of the majority of people, of which I am also guilty. I keep bemoaning the fact that I've got nothing to do and don't have any friends in the game, but I can never push myself enough to do something about it.

Plus the fact that I'm not terribly inventive/good at role playing, which discourages me.

Oh woe is me. ;)

Originally posted by Spoon
I can't RP very well.....

I manage to stay incharacter for, ohhh, about 30 seconds........:o

Huzzah! I'm not alone! :)

Originally posted by 5150

That's a problem too. :(

-Krll

Heavyporker
17-11-03, 17:16
Heh. Perhaps so. But still, even just writing some stories or something? Or if that's too hard, how about trying to contribute a couple chapters?

I know the RP forums update a bit rarely, but hell...

I contributed to the Pluto RPG forum with two stories, less than two months ago, and I also wrote another story and one major story and put them into the Stories & Artwork section less than a week ago. Hell, I'm even writing a small chapter to add to Delmann's "Opened Eyes, Part Two". You want science fiction that kicks you over and leaves you begging for more, you read Opened Eyes and The Long Walk. Part One and Long Walk is on the Pluto RP Forums. English, of course.

Hell, whats wrong with contributing some artworks to the Stories & Artwork forum? That last cyberpunky art contest bought them out like nobody's business. Can't we do it on our own without MC5 chips dangled in front of us?

KRIMINAL99
17-11-03, 17:16
The idea of forced roleplaying is silly. Basically when a game draws you into it and makes you enjoy being the character you are playing when you are playing the game then it is cool. Video game advocates call that like the depth of the storyline or something.

People think that this feeling can be forced by reading side stories or forcing ones self to do actions they have arbitrarily have decided are roleplaying. It doesn't work.

For instance, if you play Unreal 2, your goal when you first play it is to beat the game and to help you do this you want to get any thing that will help you do this. When the game makes you do realistic things for the story line in order to accomplish these goals, then it is cool and we say the story is "in depth". But if the game adds things that we know will not help us beat the game or give us new weapons then it doesn't add to the feel of being in character. In a game like unreal 2, this is usually something along the lines of a secret area that doesn't have any really good power ups but we knew it was there and was hard to find. It was just a waste of time. Or a person to talk to that doesn't give you anything.(There are none of those in unreal 2 tho)

Anotherwords, it has to be REALISTIC and the uncosious mind, the part we cannot control, has to recognize it as such. If you in real life would not do something if you were in the same situation (because it would not help you accomplish your goal) as that character then its not going to add to the depth of the game if you do it in game.

The second problem with the idea of roleplaying in some MMORPGS is this. Suppose you were to play Unreal 2 or Half-Life again after you beat it. The second time the story line is trite... predictable... No longer even remotely realistic. What do you do? Run around blasting away the scientists along with everything else or anything you might think is remotely fun with no regard for staying "in character". Why? You now subconsiously recognize exactly what helps you beat the game and what doesn't.... in a single player game this doesn't change. Which means anything that doesn't give you a new weapon or powerup is just a waste of time when before it MIGHT have helped you because you didn't know.

This CAN be fixed in mmorpgs by placing the goals behind players. Players are not static, they are unpredictable. If the game both places the goals behind player interaction so that it will stay unpredictable, AND makes people interact with each other in a way that is realistic for the setting, then people playing the game will feel "Drawn into the story".

However many game designers do not realize this and do not do it... or in the case of Neocron do it without realizing it and then take it away. The game is basically now a single player game that is "Beat" when you cap your character and get all the rares. In order to fix this, people need to A. be able to lose their "top of the world status" once they achieve it and B. Need to interact with players instead of static AI mobs in order to get the things which help them in their goal (implants, weapons etc) C. Need to have to do things realistic to the setting to get their goals.

This is why many people complained when quickbelts were locked. That had a much more profound effect on the game then many people realize.

Here is a link to a thread about what could be done to the game to make it much more fun and draw people into the storyline much better:

Ideal Neocron (http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?s=&threadid=79521)

Duder
17-11-03, 17:25
If you dont enforce roleplay, it wont happen, simple as that, people will choose the easy way.

If KK enforced you to have RP names, and gave us tools that will help and enhance RP (Instead of whining to the faction counsellor for just about everything), it might work.

No Enforcement = No one cares.

Same with society, if you just made up some rules, and have nothing to back the rules up (Police), no one gives a shit.

KRIMINAL99
17-11-03, 17:32
Originally posted by Duder
If you dont enforce roleplay, it wont happen, simple as that, people will choose the easy way.

If KK enforced you to have RP names, and gave us tools that will help and enhance RP (Instead of whining to the faction counsellor for just about everything), it might work.

No Enforcement = No one cares.

Same with society, if you just made up some rules, and have nothing to back the rules up (Police), no one gives a shit.

That depends what you mean by "force". If you are talking about say like banning people for not talking in character... No that wouldn't work. The trick is to force the players to WANT to be in character to get what they want.

In a video game if you try and force people to do things they think are boring theyll just leave.

Duder
17-11-03, 17:39
No not force them or else face a ban, more as make Roleplay give better rewards then not being "In a Role", so yes i agree to that statement.

Anyways, it wont happen in this game, maybe when people understand that Artificial numbers as skills and having player "classes" is not what makes a game a RPG.

Dribble Joy
17-11-03, 17:41
The whole point is that those hidden, 'useless' areas/items DO contribute and make the game a more in depth experiance.
There is no 'beating the game' in a MMORPG, it's a different type of game altogether.
Unreal 2 is not an in depth game, to be honest it was shallow and in places tried too hard not to be, off setting the feel of the rest of the game and making the whole thing feel awkward. I played it once and felt like I had wasted a part of my life that could have been better spent, like wanking with a piece of sand paper. Half-Life was cool, little in the way of actual story, but still an immersive game, with areas that don't have any point to them, but each time I play it again, I go to because they are FUN.
I'm not out to beat the game, I'm out to have fun, and I'm not fussed getting there fast or slow.
I think we can all agree that Players need to be able to influence the world they ae playing in.
Playing a role can be fun, and adding things such as stories/art work is a great way to help play that role, and explore the things about the game that you may not experience at first hand. OR see the actions you or others do in-game, in the stories you read here in the forums.

RP should be 'enforced' to a point. But not such that it is stifling. Like Duder said, If there is an option to do it or not, the vast majority will not do it, too much hassle and in the end pointless. If it weren't pointless, people might do it more, Ie. an interactive story/events. These however most likely will not happen as the story line is as far as the players are concerned, linear, and pre defined.

Style
17-11-03, 17:56
How about, u shut da [] up. and accept everyone is a charecter and their own role, just because they don't bide by your rules of RP does not mean they are not a charecter. Stop bringing threads up about this sort of thing. If someone wishs to visit the RP forum they will, but most people rather keep stuff in game.

And you saying intelligent people only? Is your head that far up your () dun? I know bare people who are intelligent and they don't need to act stuck up like a snob to show it iigh.

Dribble Joy
17-11-03, 18:02
I think what he means is that he doesn'r want the 'OMG J00 RP J00 L053R!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA J00 N00B KOSLOL HAHAH!!!1111!!oneoneone' Type of comments.

Of course people are free to RP or not, but that doesn't mean that RP is shit and isn't wanted. This IS a MMORPG. Thus it is a shame it is hardly ever treated as such.

Style
17-11-03, 18:03
I saw about 3 people at the most say tha dribble, so how is it 99% of people are classed to that catogory?

Beanie McChimp
17-11-03, 18:04
The only way to introduce RP into Neocron is to make a PURE RP server a bit like neptune (like no safe zones or safe slots on quickbelt)where there is constant events and the neocronicle is the backbone of the server(as in every story become an event) hey if this happens maybe we will get 0/2 fighting :D

Syntax-Error
17-11-03, 18:05
This hasnt been a MMORPG for a long time

Its plain and simple the community turned it into a MMOFPS with some RP aspects.

Meh its the fact of life.

But i RP and will always RP. Phoenix LTD are the only TRUE RP clan i know.. and if sumone can name others. please do im intrested :) (dnt forget to tell me the server aswell)

Rizzy
17-11-03, 18:11
Ever considered not everyone enjoys roleplaying? I for one find it very awkward and weird to do what you are suggesting myself. I play this game to have a laugh with some friends, play about with character setups and enjoy the action the game has to offer.

If this makes me a lesser being then so be it.

Heavyporker
17-11-03, 18:11
Hmm, all this is very intresting. Seems like there's some agreement on one point, that the ingame environment needs to *encourage* roleplay.

I know the RP forums are kinda *outgame*, but doesn't it qualify as being part of the total Neocron environment? Doesn't the RP forums stand shoulder to should with the Neocronicle and the NEMA, in describing the world of Neocron in more vivid terms.

I mean, right now, it's quite difficult to effectively move events and the like without simply making them spawnfests. And I disagree that it has to be "obvious" that its a player-event, or even so, that it is deficient and inferior to a GM-made event. I mean, I only have to mention Fight Night. Even though it *might* not be strictly RP, its quite effectively RP as a gladiatorial event, full of dueling, which it is. And it's been successful enough that its a tradition. That's the power of player events.

I know that players in of themselves can't hugely alter the storyline, but they have enormous sway in how the world works TODAY. The TGs (PLUTO) own practically half the map, this has the obvious effect of making travel around the wastelands a fair bit more difficult. I've seen the CityMercs rise up and defend their home when some crazy band of pkers run amok. Players *DO* have the ability to effect the situation around them. Let me put it to you - can YOU, on your own, change the entire, say, foreign policy of your government?

I agree that there's no real clearcut "win" in a MMORPG. A MMORPG tries to be a world. After all, how do you "win" in the real world? People are different, having a large family with many successful children is a win for some, vast wealth in either cash or material is a win for some, a fulfilled life where the person got to do what the hell he set out to do is a win for them...

KRIMINAL99
17-11-03, 18:32
Originally posted by Dribble Joy
The whole point is that those hidden, 'useless' areas/items DO contribute and make the game a more in depth experiance.
There is no 'beating the game' in a MMORPG, it's a different type of game altogether.

No, they really don't. How many little missions do you do for your faction every day while playing Neocron? Unless you need soulight, or you need to up psi xp or something, you don't. They don't give you anything to make it worth it.

Heres a better question: How many of the missions do you do that aren't the quick missions and require you to visit your faction hq just for him to tell you to kill 15 instead of 5 enemies and give you roughly the same reward. Tried it once maybe thats about it. But wait... This adds to the story line depth. WHO CARES Its pointless like you said and its the same thing as secret areas which we already know don't have anything useful in them.

I did say that before when we don't yet know that they don't have anything useful in them they can add to the story line, but that doesn't help us in a mmorpg where we want to keep people interested.

And about the "win an MMORPG" comment. Winning a single player game derives from another goal... the same one that causes people to play a MMORPG (or do anything for that matter). When in a MMORPG you can no longer get closer to that goal than the game is "over" as far as fun the same as a single player game is over.

The blurriness comes from the fact that this same goal that other ones derive from can also be met by socially interacting with players. But Neocron's main theme is being a good video game not just a virtual chatroom.

So if we want the game to not end in terms of fun of playing (because the person cant work towards his goal anymore through gaining more wealth/items) the game when we have all the high level items, then the player has to have his status (by chance of losing items) at risk so that he could lose it at any time.

@ Style.. Sorry for not responding to your PM a while back, I never check my box and by the time I did it was way after you had sent it.

Bob Monkhouse
17-11-03, 18:55
The key to having a good RP environment is to first recognise that many people have different ideas of roleplay itself.

The only "enforcement" of RP I would like is to encourage OOC comments to be kept on the OOC channel. By this I mean discussing football, movies, TV shows etc. A local OOC channel could be introduced for this.

The secret of enjoying NC if you are a keen "RPer" like me, is to recognise everything that happens as roleplay.

For example, Rizzy says he doesn't like "cheesy" RP (sorry to paraphrase you Rizzy, byt I presume thats what you meant by the "awkward" comment, the "forsooth I espy the enemy on yonder hill" style.) Lots of people feel selfconcious about this style. Just because they dont RP in the same style does not make them Non Rpers. Rizzy, believe it or not you fill a large role in my Saturn RP universe. Simply by leading a large TG clan which is dangerous in combat and aggressive in taking OPs you are a visible presence on the server. I think this is the same point Style was making, that actions can define a players role as well as how they talk or whether they contribute to Nema.

I would like to see more influence on the story line by players, and a server specific storyline introduced. To me the idea that it is simply "announced" in Neochronicle that certain shifts in NC politics are occuring is wrong.

To me, Nema and the Chronicle should report on PLAYER led activity, give BACKGROUND, and PLANT SEEDS for roleplay. This alreadt occurs to some extent, but I feel it is still skewed too far in the direction of TELLING players what their role in the mythos is.

Lets take the upcoming DoY conflict. It has already been decided who will be on which side. IMHO this is wrong. Imagine a server where FA and TG decide that DoY is in fact an foreign invader and want to defend the city against it? Perhaps the CM are made an offer they cant refuse to join the Dome, and TT see a chance to exploit to chaos to gain more power in the city, and declares its support for DoY? This to me would reflect the underlying cyberpunk atmospher better, with shifting loyalties and underhand deals and would allow players to influence the direction of the game. We already have voting, all it needs is for the manifesto of the Councils to be implemented properly, instead of being slaves to the story.

To those that say "well noone votes and is noone wants to put in the time to be on the Councils", well of course they dont, because many people feel they cannot make a difference. If KK give us the chance to alter the storyline ourselves to reflect the different political situations on each server, more people would get involved. We already have some Councils who are active, but if we give them the power to change alliances and enemies, and push the story along far more people would get involved.

KRIMINAL99
17-11-03, 19:08
Hey thats a good point. Maybe stuff like NEMA would be somewhat interesting if it reported on in game events rather than vice versa.

17-11-03, 19:11
I think alot of the problem with 'to RP or not to RP' is the fact that some people have very differnt ideas about what RP is and isnt (the most obvious one being that some consider killing enemies RP pure and simple and for others it goes way deeper than that)

But actually it always starts very small.

For example: When was the last time you stopped to look at the faction of the guy poking/tradeskilling for you in Plaza 1? Have you ever not used a tradeskiller because of their faction? The same equally applies if you are the poker/tradeskiller.

I doubt many of you care, you get your poke, your back fighting with the minimal downtime, and thats all you care about (doesnt matter if this attitude is right or wrong). Personally I never seek a poke from an enemy runner and I wont acknowledge (either verbally or financially) an enemy runner who pokes me (because some people just seem to try and poke anyone and everyone in Plaza 1).

Thats a fundamental RP issue and a very simple one, you picked a faction, do you then solicit and accept help from your enemies one moment only to gun them down (and have them gun you down the next)? If you do they you dont RP, no way no how. RP isnt a switch you turn on and off when it suits you, anything beyond this is irrelevant, you broke your factions rules and theres nothing you can add to this that will make anything else you do RP.

*ph33r*
17-11-03, 19:13
WHAT ABOOT US MR. PKAR MANZ?!?!? WE HAVE PHEELINGS TOO YA KNOW!1111

LOL KOS!!11111oneyeahyeahetc

SnotNosedBrat
17-11-03, 19:18
i play this game solely for the pvp

large extended op fights are a ton of fun, win or lose

PKing can be fun but nothing beats a good fight with New Dawn

Screw RPing :O

Dont Mess
17-11-03, 19:23
sex

Marx
17-11-03, 19:33
Originally posted by KRIMINAL99
Hey thats a good point. Maybe stuff like NEMA would be somewhat interesting if it reported on in game events rather than vice versa.

That should be changing soon

;)

SnotNosedBrat
17-11-03, 19:36
Yea i think there was someone from NEMA at our fight at jeriko yesterday (could be wrong)

Least someone was there with LE in taking screenshots :O

Beanie McChimp
17-11-03, 22:52
two words can sort this out such as making rp'ers happy and non rp'ers who wan tmore content

MORE EVENTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dribble Joy
17-11-03, 23:11
FFS this is not a single-player game.
It does not have the same goals

Unless you need soulight, or you need to up psi xp or something, you don't. They don't give you anything to make it worth it.

Gaining money/items/going to all areas of the game IS NOT THE POINT. Immersing in an in-depth story/world allong with all that goes with that IS. (Which of course may include gain) To be honest if you think that what the aim of this game is, then you're playing the wrong game.
Those little missions aren't really content at all, they are there for faction loyalty, soullight, money and lvling.
If there were missions that said, go here, kill this, talk to this npc, MAKE DECICIONS, with a nice reward at the end based on what you have done, then yeah I'd do them.

But Neocron's main theme is being a good video game not just a virtual chatroom.

NO. It is both, each as important as the other. You want a good video game? Go play BGII or Half-Life. You want to chat online? Use IRC or MSN. This game does and relies on both, niether would work without the other to get the world we inhabit with our characters.

The reason it doesn't work at the moment, is that the game does not cater for interactive input from players.
It's starting to, as said above, the OP fight at Jeriko.

As ever, you are free to do what you want.

Krll
18-11-03, 01:09
Hell, whats wrong with contributing some artworks to the Stories & Artwork forum? That last cyberpunky art contest bought them out like nobody's business. Can't we do it on our own without MC5 chips dangled in front of us?

I'm not a creative writer, nor am I an artist. Is there something else I could be contributing to the RPG forums?

-Krll

Cyphor (Ash)
18-11-03, 01:17
I love to RP in most of my online games, but the sheer amount of PVPs, Random Killers and just plain insane people make RPing in Neocron futile. I think myself as a semi-roleplayer: I try to do it when I can, but often I can't because I look like I'm insane.

Plus the whole of Pluto are far too lighthearted to go along with serious roleplaying :p

KRIMINAL99
18-11-03, 02:30
Originally posted by Dribble Joy
FFS this is not a single-player game.
It does not have the same goals

Gaining money/items/going to all areas of the game IS NOT THE POINT. Immersing in an in-depth story/world allong with all that goes with that IS. (Which of course may include gain) To be honest if you think that what the aim of this game is, then you're playing the wrong game.
Those little missions aren't really content at all, they are there for faction loyalty, soullight, money and lvling.
If there were missions that said, go here, kill this, talk to this npc, MAKE DECICIONS, with a nice reward at the end based on what you have done, then yeah I'd do them.

NO. It is both, each as important as the other. You want a good video game? Go play BGII or Half-Life. You want to chat online? Use IRC or MSN. This game does and relies on both, niether would work without the other to get the world we inhabit with our characters.

The reason it doesn't work at the moment, is that the game does not cater for interactive input from players.
It's starting to, as said above, the OP fight at Jeriko.

There is a similar goal behind just about everything people do. Thats to gain respect/admiration. In an mmorpg you can do it by just being funny. However as far as the game is concerned people try and do it by being good at pvp or accomplishing things in game like making a ton of money or running a succesful clan. Those wishing to do it by accomplishing much in pvp need money, weapons and implants. These are sub goals derived from the persons main goal.

In Single player games its like ghost admiration. There isn't actually anyone there, but there is like a rememberance of some time someone praised you for accomplishing a intellectual task or something similar. A single player game is over when there is nothing left to accomplish in it. MMORPG games can be just as much over when there is nothing left to accomplish. For instance if you never try to be funny, and you have a bad connection, and even after you get all the high level loot you cannot beat many people in pvp, then the game is just as much over for you as a single player game is when you beat it.

People all learn slightly different ways to best find respect/admiration but chances are if they are here one of their main subgoals is to get good in pvp, and subgoals of that are to get weapons, implants etc.

Btw People's subconsious mind communicate with them through emotions. You don't know exactly what makes your subconsious mind tick unless you study it very closely like I have. When you do, all the sudden all the things that people do make perfect sense. When I say getting the weapons, implants etc are the goals in this game I am talking about the way people's subconsious mind sees it - and consequently tells the person he is bored or he is having fun.

The whole idea of forced roleplaying as opposed to just being drawn into a game as a side effect is faulty. It DOES NOT WORK. IT NEVER WILL. ITS BORING AS SHITE.

People who contrive ideas that this is somehow fun (mixing up reality by accepting ideas without making sure they aren't wrong and then refusing to give them up, building even more false ideas on these) waste time doing things like Nema and then wonder why it doesn't work. Well DUH. Everything you believe is wrong. Thats why it doesn't work. Go ahead make more excuses, refuse to check your ideas for errors. Youll never get anything you want that way...

DJ you just said "And gave a decent reward at the end"... By your reasoning, since the whole point is to immerse yourself in the story, Just doing the mission and interacting with the NPC's and hearing what they have to say would be reward enough right? So why do you need a reward?

Dostan'Ilindith
18-11-03, 02:34
i have tried tyo do a lot of roleplaying...

though its pointless because the GM's just dont take notice. remember someone posted that they killed reeza? did we ever hear a word about that? no..we didnt..

in the event on saturn when the gm's were giving out biosigniture chips, i tryed to talk to them to roleplay, all i got was meagre responces that barely counted as roleplaying. the gm's just dont seem to care in us contributing to the storyline unless its just running along the train tracks they set out before us, which i think really sucks

Nidhogg
18-11-03, 02:40
Originally posted by Dostan'Ilindith
i have tried tyo do a lot of roleplaying...

though its pointless because the GM's just dont take notice. remember someone posted that they killed reeza? did we ever hear a word about that? no..we didnt..

in the event on saturn when the gm's were giving out biosigniture chips, i tryed to talk to them to roleplay, all i got was meagre responces that barely counted as roleplaying. the gm's just dont seem to care in us contributing to the storyline unless its just running along the train tracks they set out before us, which i think really sucks Of course none of the GMs roleplay when they're doing live runs do they? :rolleyes: BTW, you'd have to find Reza before you could kill him. The real Reza, that is...

N

Dostan'Ilindith
18-11-03, 02:42
apparently he was being escorted by copbots...

i find it hard to beleive a player could organise that

edit: Also, when players were exploiting NCPD, why didnt they write that into the storyline? perfect opportunity.

18-11-03, 09:39
Originally posted by KRIMINAL99
There is a similar goal behind just about everything people do. Thats to gain respect/admiration. In an mmorpg you can do it by just being funny. However as far as the game is concerned people try and do it by being good at pvp or accomplishing things in game like making a ton of money or running a succesful clan. Those wishing to do it by accomplishing much in pvp need money, weapons and implants. These are sub goals derived from the persons main goal.

In Single player games its like ghost admiration. There isn't actually anyone there, but there is like a rememberance of some time someone praised you for accomplishing a intellectual task or something similar. A single player game is over when there is nothing left to accomplish in it. MMORPG games can be just as much over when there is nothing left to accomplish. For instance if you never try to be funny, and you have a bad connection, and even after you get all the high level loot you cannot beat many people in pvp, then the game is just as much over for you as a single player game is when you beat it.

People all learn slightly different ways to best find respect/admiration but chances are if they are here one of their main subgoals is to get good in pvp, and subgoals of that are to get weapons, implants etc.

Btw People's subconsious mind communicate with them through emotions. You don't know exactly what makes your subconsious mind tick unless you study it very closely like I have. When you do, all the sudden all the things that people do make perfect sense. When I say getting the weapons, implants etc are the goals in this game I am talking about the way people's subconsious mind sees it - and consequently tells the person he is bored or he is having fun.

The whole idea of forced roleplaying as opposed to just being drawn into a game as a side effect is faulty. It DOES NOT WORK. IT NEVER WILL. ITS BORING AS SHITE.

People who contrive ideas that this is somehow fun (mixing up reality by accepting ideas without making sure they aren't wrong and then refusing to give them up, building even more false ideas on these) waste time doing things like Nema and then wonder why it doesn't work. Well DUH. Everything you believe is wrong. Thats why it doesn't work. Go ahead make more excuses, refuse to check your ideas for errors. Youll never get anything you want that way...

DJ you just said "And gave a decent reward at the end"... By your reasoning, since the whole point is to immerse yourself in the story, Just doing the mission and interacting with the NPC's and hearing what they have to say would be reward enough right? So why do you need a reward?

That may be right or wrong, it doesnt really matter (because the PvP crowd are bored it seems)

Its obvious that most of the people left playing NC are only here for the PvP (and there have been some very honest posts about that), at that point attempting any RP is a futile effort because these people just arent interested........right up until they have to RP to get an 'uber' item from a live run (personally I hope that GMs _dont_ reward live runners that dont RP, even though I appreciate how much work/time would have gne to waste)