PDA

View Full Version : /accounts root certificate change

Kugero
13-11-03, 17:31
Ok I've been away from the boards for a few weeks but having read up on some of the current shnanagans that are accuring:

Has there been an offical statement on the NC/accounts root certificate change? I couldn't find any posts using 'search' ...

thanks,

Kug

jernau
13-11-03, 17:35
Not that I've seen.

There really should be though considering recent events.

Cypher_Psy
13-11-03, 18:00
Issuing your own certificates? :o

http://www.psychosisnet.freeserve.co.uk/cert.jpg

jernau
13-11-03, 18:03
Even the POS outfit I work for issues their own certificates.

It's a laughable system tbh.

Think of it as the digital equivalent of life-jackets on a 747.

Kugero
13-11-03, 18:06
yea this is what kinda bugs me. I'd rather see something issued from Verisign for instance. I've set up private certificates before and they can be quite the pain in the ass to create/manage ...

I don't know, maybe I'm just a certificate-retard or something (or a certified-retard - heh)

jernau
13-11-03, 18:15
Originally posted by Kugero
yea this is what kinda bugs me. I'd rather see something issued from Verisign for instance. I've set up private certificates before and they can be quite the pain in the ass to create/manage ...

I don't know, maybe I'm just a certificate-retard or something (or a certified-retard - heh)

Ours was issued by Verisign :p.

It wasn't hard to get. CC number and a valid email IIRC.

Nidhogg
13-11-03, 18:39
Yeah, cos VeriSign never screw up (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/bulletin/MS01-017.asp), do they?

Self-signed certificates aren't ideal, but they're not exactly the end of the world either.

N

DaFire
13-11-03, 19:13
Since there is no high confidential data send to our servers (like credit card numbers) I don't think we need an official signed certificate.

This certificate will expire in 2004, then we will create a new one. You can store the certificate once and will never bugged again till the certificate changes.

jernau
13-11-03, 19:33
Thanks DaFire.

Kugero
13-11-03, 20:29
ok thanks guys. Just wanted to make sure it was an official certificate update.

you can close this thread.

Nidhogg
13-11-03, 20:43
Closed at thread starter's request.

N