PDA

View Full Version : Question about old UO demo that gave away the server-side software

13-11-03, 16:42
I'm not sure if this is against the forum rules because I dont know how Origin reacted to what I _think_ happened.

If I understand correctly, if we take a trip in the wayback machine a demo of Ultim Online was released on some coverdisk that actually included the server side software - and as a result lots of people were able to run their own shard.

While I've seen many UO emulators etc for download I'm wondering if this original demo exists anywhere for download.

Appreciate anyone answering this and setting the story stright if I got it wrong somewhere - also apologies to mods if this turns out to be and 'underground warez thing' I just dont know how legit it is at this stage.

24-11-03, 11:55
Ok I've found out that what I'm actually looking for is the Ultima Online: The Second Age demo

Does anyone have it or know where it can be downloaded from?

Archeus
24-11-03, 12:33
It is doubtful they could run thier own shard. Part of a world prehaps but a shard is made up of a cluster of machines.

You would be better off getting a UO emulator from the net.

Syntax-Error
24-11-03, 13:32
I used to run my own shard from my machine. its perfectly possible (even on a 56k) to host it. because the netcode is so god damn good and the game takes like.. no bandwidth.

Hagbart
24-11-03, 20:50
This doesn't exactly answer your question, but I remember back when I played UO that there was a number of unofficial shards that ran some server side software called FUSE, and as far as I could tell it looked like a pretty good copy of the real server side software. In fact, I wouldnt be surprised if it was based on the software on that cover disk, with some added tools to make it easier for untrained people to administer/customize it.

Archeus
24-11-03, 20:57
Originally posted by Syntax-Error
I used to run my own shard from my machine. its perfectly possible (even on a 56k) to host it. because the netcode is so god damn good and the game takes like.. no bandwidth.

The problem isn't running the shard, it is running it with people on the server. How many did you get on?

Jest
24-11-03, 21:38
Yah I played on a player run shard for about 4 months. It was awesome. We had a couple hundred people I believe. I had GM rights too so I built myself a friggin massive castle with all the works. ;) hehe. Good stuff. And no monthly fee.