PDA

View Full Version : [OT]What CPU Cooler should I buy?

ElfinLord
13-11-03, 14:02
I recently started a thread about my dead computer (see here (http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?s=&threadid=81417)).

As the thread states, I discovered, with certainty, that my CPU was toasted, and I started getting advice on what type of cooling system I should get for my new CPU. Not that my old cooler is bad or anything, I just want to see if I can afford to get something better.

So, does anyone have any advice on what type of cooler I should buy?

Scikar recommends the Aero 7+ (http://www.coolermaster.com/index.php?LT=english&Language_s=2&url_place=product&p_serial=ASB-V73&other_title=+ASB-V73+Aero%207%2B) by Cooler Master and I was looking at the Jet 7 (http://www.coolermaster.com/index.php?LT=english&Language_s=2&url_place=product&p_serial=ACB-V83&other_title=+ACB-V83+JET%207).

Anyway what type of cooling system do you use and what would you suggest for me?

My mobo and CPU:

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
AMD Athlon XP 2800+ Barton (I am seriously considering the 3200+)

I might try to overclock this chip, but I'm not sure. I don't necessarily learn the first time.:D

Thanks in advance for your help!:)

I also want to say thank you to everyone who offered help and advice about my problem in the other thread, especially Fenyx, Scikar, and Jernau.

Scikar
13-11-03, 14:10
I think I mentioned in the other thread, that I think the Jet 7 is for Pentium processors while the Aero 7+ is for Athlons, though I'm not certain on that. I haven't used one myself so I can't recommend it, however I do plan to get one in my new PC. I'd also get a case (preferable aluminium) with plenty of space for extra fans. You can also get fans which fit in empty PCI slots (they fit in at the back but they're not actual cards, so you can put them in the empty slots beneath your mobo), and I've seen fans to go in empty drive slots too. Also don't forget your Arctic Silver paste. ;)

Celt
13-11-03, 14:14
Aero 7 is absolute tosh, the Jet 7(yes it's for athlon's) is better.

I'd reccomend ThermalTake Volcano 11 or 12, and if your motherboard has 4 mounting holes around the processor, look at the Thermalright SLK947u.

Scikar
13-11-03, 14:17
Originally posted by Celt
Aero 7 is absolute tosh, the Jet 7(yes it's for athlon's) is better.

I'd reccomend ThermalTake Volcano 11 or 12, and if your motherboard has 4 mounting holes around the processor, look at the Thermalright SLK947u.

There ya go. I did say I wasn't sure. :)

ElfinLord
13-11-03, 14:18
Yeah, I checked Cooler Master's web site after you mentioned that. According to the specs for the Jet 7 it works for Socket A chips which the XP2800+ and XP3200+ chips are.;)

And what I liked most about the Jet 7, besides it's appearance, is that it's lighter than the Aero 7+.:D

/edit - I looked at the ThermalTake Volcano 12. It looks pretty cool, but at 700g that is one heavy son-of-a-bitch.8| If I recall correctly AMD recommends a maximum of 300g. Ouch!!!

Thanks for the input so far. I appreciate it.

Oath
13-11-03, 14:30
As long is it isnt a water cooler you cant really go wrong...........well........you can........but nm.

ElfinLord
13-11-03, 14:31
Originally posted by Oath
As long is it isnt a water cooler you cant really go wrong...........well........you can........but nm.
Aside from the obvious, water and computers do not a cocktail make, what's wrong with water coolers?

Celt
13-11-03, 15:39
Originally posted by ElfinLord
Yeah, I checked Cooler Master's web site after you mentioned that. According to the specs for the Jet 7 it works for Socket A chips which the XP2800+ and XP3200+ chips are.;)

And what I liked most about the Jet 7, besides it's appearance, is that it's lighter than the Aero 7+.:D

/edit - I looked at the ThermalTake Volcano 12. It looks pretty cool, but at 700g that is one heavy son-of-a-bitch.8| If I recall correctly AMD recommends a maximum of 300g. Ouch!!!

Thanks for the input so far. I appreciate it.

The Jet 7 is 490g.

The Volcano 12 has a good heatsink, a great fang, has 4 options(pci bracket know to control speed, floppy bay knob, temperature controlled, and full speed)

I've used a Jet7, aero7 and volcano 11, the volcano cools the best, sounds the best.

The Coolermaster's have an annoying whine reminiscent of Delta's, only they arent as good.

Glok
13-11-03, 15:42
So the volcano is loud, but not whiny? (I'm upgrading soon too.)

Stigmata
13-11-03, 15:43
Personally i like the Aero mine came with the speed control tingy that goes into one of the floppy bays

Andy

Celt
13-11-03, 15:55
Originally posted by Glok
So the volcano is loud, but not whiny? (I'm upgrading soon too.)
I have TT Xaser III alu case with 6 silent case fans installed, Volcano 11 on the cpu, temp sensor installed on CPU and connected to hardcano display at the front of the case.

I have only once had to run the volcano at anything other then silent noise levels(about 2300 rpm)
At that speed, my cpu doesnt go over 40-45 degrees, even though it;s literally beside a radiator.

I've run cpu burn in with my 2500xp running at 3400 speeds and the fan at full speed, under 41degrees constant :)

At full speed, it's reasonably loud, but not whiny, I can sleep with it on in my room, something I couldnt do with my slot A athlon pc :)

Glok
13-11-03, 16:00
Cool, thanks. :)

Opar
13-11-03, 16:03
1. Turn off your PC
2. Take out your processor
3. Stick it in the freezer

2 hours in there. Repeat every 2 days.

greploco
13-11-03, 17:07
great setup choice, that's what I would buy I think

as for cooling case flow has a lot to do with it

the power supply should be oriented so that air is going out and usually there are some spots at the front where air is going in

I hate fan noise, but I like a fault free computer

so I purchase low rpm whisper type fans for the front of the case to suck air in

it's about caseflow

then you can also turn down the cpu fan a bit with a variable resistor to dull the noise.

a little mesh at the front doesn't hurt either, cuts down on dust inside the machine. dust and gunk buildup prevents proper cooling

Garm
13-11-03, 18:49
I have the Aero and its pretty sweet. A bit loud full speed, but I adjust it down according to temp and I hardly notice it. It is HELLA heavy though. Might want to reinforce your MB with some damn steel beams for that mofo.

--Garm

icarium
14-11-03, 00:28
http://www.koolance.com/products/product.html?code=CCS-A04

i have the pc2c, which they have stopped making now. is midi tower and is quite cramped but good cooling. barton 1.8(2500) at 2.1ish(2800) at 40 degrees under load. i.e 2 hours of UT2k3.

the full towers above provide same cooling but obviously with more room to move about in :)

Seven
14-11-03, 08:17
http://www.pcabusers.com/reviews/thermalright/slk900a/p1.html

ElfinLord
14-11-03, 16:34
Thanks for the help, everyone.

There is a lot of good info in here. I'll have to check out prices and see what works best for me and my budget.

I know someone who works at Best Buy who is going to see what price they can get for a new processor for me (3200+:D). Depending on how much it is, I may be looking to upgrade a lot of stuff for better cooling.:)

Anyway, so what's the deal with water cooling? Is there any real benefit to it? It's quite expensive, so I just wonder is it worth it?

Thanks.

Celt
14-11-03, 16:51
Water cooling is dangerous, expensive, you will need to replenish the water regularly.

Upside is it does cool better then air, and can make your system very quiet, for 300-500dollars...

El_MUERkO
14-11-03, 17:18
Most liquid cooling systems dont use standard water, 2 friends have them with no issues reported from 4 months of use.

Celt
14-11-03, 18:13
Originally posted by El_MUERkO
Most liquid cooling systems dont use standard water, 2 friends have them with no issues reported from 4 months of use.
Distilled water.

Shockwave
14-11-03, 18:32
I've heard the odd story about the Aero 7's burning out. You might want to have a Google to get a feeling at to how reliable they are. As to the Jet, I've never seen one running but I've seen one up close. If that bit at the back is the exhaust then that is one HSF that is going to HOWL.

If you want an air cooler that looks truly impressive, try what my flatmate uses:
http://www.overclock.co.uk/customer/product.php?productid=16816&cat=296
His Athlon XP2600 has yet to get above 36 degrees, even while playing games like UT2k3 and Ballistics. Personally I use a Thermaltake too, but that's just a co-incidence really.

And as I've said before, if you're going for a tower case, don't even consider the Zalman fanless heatsinks - they're close to a kilo of solid copper, and it stands a fair chance of ripping the ZIF socket clean off the motherboard (I've seen it happen).

icarium
14-11-03, 21:03
Originally posted by Celt
Water cooling is dangerous, expensive, you will need to replenish the water regularly.

Upside is it does cool better then air, and can make your system very quiet, for 300-500dollars...

ecidently someone who has never done it =)

its no more dangerous than attaching nearly 1kg of copper to your mobo, and it cools a lot better and quieter. it just requires a bit of care and testing before u install your bits

i bought my case for £230 including silver plated waterblock, so you were roughly right on the price :p

edit: and i havent changed the water in 18 months. use distilled with a tiny amount of washing up liquid in. gets rid of surface tension on water so it cools better or some such thing

Odin
14-11-03, 21:43
I like the Volcano myself with some Artic Silver paste and the coolmod attachement.

/me is such a sucker for stuff that lights up.

Celt
14-11-03, 22:32
Originally posted by icarium
ecidently someone who has never done it =)

its no more dangerous than attaching nearly 1kg of copper to your mobo, and it cools a lot better and quieter. it just requires a bit of care and testing before u install your bits

i bought my case for £230 including silver plated waterblock, so you were roughly right on the price :p

edit: and i havent changed the water in 18 months. use distilled with a tiny amount of washing up liquid in. gets rid of surface tension on water so it cools better or some such thing
The thread starter is evidently someone who has never done it.

Crashtec
14-11-03, 22:59
I have modded my old dorm refrigerator from college that is about 2.5 ft tall, 2.5 ft wide , and 3 ft deep as my computer case. I drilled a hole in the side for the input/output wires and secured and sealed with insulated tape. Its as loud as you would expect from a small frige but its cold as ice inside.

ElfinLord
16-11-03, 18:19
Ok, I decided that I am going to take Celt's advice about the Thermalright SLK-947U since my mobo has the 4 mounting holes on it and the reviews that I have found are all very positive.:)

As I understand it, even thought their web site says it ships with a fan, I guess it doesn't.:rolleyes: So I have to find one.

Anyone know of a really good 92mm fan to use with this heatsink?

In one of the reviews I read they used a Panasonic Panaflo H1A fan. Is this a good fan, or are there better ones? Does it really matter?

I'm not worried about how much I'm going to spend on a fan or how loud it is. If I am prepared to spend $40, or more, on a heatsink, I can spend some money on a fan.:D

Also, what about fan controllers?

Anyway, thanks again for the help.

Celt
16-11-03, 18:25
Delta fans are the best, but also the loudest, think of a jet engines howl >.<

Panaflo are good, quiet fans.

Papst are pretty similar to panaflo, good quality quiet fans.

The 947u can take either an 80mm or 92mm fan iirc, I'd go for 92mm though.

darknessfairy
16-11-03, 18:37
I've had an Aero 7 for about 3/4 months now... apart from being a bit loud :/ (which can be solved with the user friendly Fanspeed controler) I've had no real probs and my cpu runs at a fairly healthy 30 C... (Athlon XP2400) so far i give thumbs up to it :D

ElfinLord
17-11-03, 22:04
Ok, I'm still at it here.:D

I have been doing some research on this fan thing and I think I am going to go with a 92mm Vantec Tornado. I know it's loud, but I'm not overly concerned about that. If you have any other suggestions, I'm taking all the advice I can to make a good decision.:)

I have now been looking into getting a fan controller for all these fans I'm going to have.

There are three that I've found that interest me.

They are:

Sunbeam Rhoebus (http://www.pcabusers.com/reviews/sunbeam/p1.html) (product review)
Vantec Nexus NXP-201 (http://www.vantecusa.com/product-peripheral.html#)
CoolerMaster Aerogate II (http://www.coolermaster.com/index.php?LT=english&Language_s=2&url_place=product&p_serial=ALD-V02&other_title=+ALD-V02+Aerogate%20II)

I like the features that all three seem to have. I am kind of partial toward the Sunbeam or the Vantec, but only because they are both available in black (my case is black, and I'm too anal to have different colored devices in my case)

Anyway, does anyone have any input on these controllers or suggestions for something else?

Thanks, again, for all the help.:D

Omnituens
17-11-03, 23:42
water cooling use deionised water, as as water heats up, the ions inhibit heat conduction

some systems ship with a special liquid, but i cant remember the name

StrongSad
18-11-03, 00:03
Buahaha!! The ions have nothing to do with cooling performance. They use distilled water (or deionized) so that the water will not corrode the metals of your waterblock(s) or radiator. Some people like to put in some water additives....but they all do the same thing. Thats not to say they are not necessary, because they are.....unless you want your pretty copper waterblock to be black after a few months

Just go water-cooling. Its fun to do, EASY, and cost me about $150...that includes a waterblock, pump, radiator, and tubing/fittings. If you buy a pre-built set-up such as koolance, swiftech, etc.... you will be paying huge amounts for crappy performance. I could tell what the goods stuff is if ya want :)

PS-swiftech has sweet waterblocks, but there watercooling kits have really bad radiators/pumps which horribly handi-cap their performance.:D

Omnituens
18-11-03, 00:53
yes i was wrong

the water collects ions and heats up too quickly; it cant disapate heat as well. not good as it is ment to be a coolant.

ElfinLord
18-11-03, 05:53
Originally posted by StrongSad
Just go water-cooling. Its fun to do, EASY, and cost me about $150...that includes a waterblock, pump, radiator, and tubing/fittings. If you buy a pre-built set-up such as koolance, swiftech, etc.... you will be paying huge amounts for crappy performance. I could tell what the goods stuff is if ya want :)
Please do. I'm always willing to learn more. If it's really not that much more expensive then buying a sweet heatsink, cool fan, and a kickass fan controller, and it's just as easy to implement then I am definitely interested in learning more.:)

PM me or just post the info here.

Anyone have any info about fan controllers?

StrongSad
20-11-03, 03:34
http://www.dtekcustoms.com/index.asp?PageAction=CARTDETAILS&Page=1

Thats probably one of the best low price set-ups online. It is pretty much exactly what I use and I absolutely love it. If you wanted more performance you would be looking at very high-end stuff that you probably wont find for less than $400.

You will need to do some modding to your case if you want to fit it all inside the box....mainly to fit that radiator. If you tell me what kinda of case you have (brand too) I could probably show you the best way to fit it all in there.

Another plus to water-cooling. You have the one large fan on the radiator pulling air in...and then you only need one more fan at the back of the case to exhaust air. That equals a very quiet computer!! :D

Also check out www.overclockers.com/ If I dont know the answer they sure will.

ElfinLord
20-11-03, 12:13
I have an Antec SX1040BII SOHO File Server Case (http://www.antec-inc.com/pro_details_enclosure.php?ProdID=81046#).

BTW, The link you posted to dtekcustoms only displays an empty cart.;)

Here are a few pics:

http://www.antec-inc.com/images/400/SX1040BII.jpghttp://www.antec-inc.com/images/400/SX1040BII_inside.jpghttp://www.antec-inc.com/images/400/backside/sx1040bii.jpg

StrongSad
20-11-03, 23:34
http://www.theforumisdown.com/uploadfiles/0103/case5.jpg

Thats the general idea. The blue lines would be your hoses. Just make sure the water goes PUMP > RAD > waterblock > PUMP

Also...that random blue line that just goes straight up and ends (between RAD and WaterBlock), that is the bleed/fill line. Thats how you get water into the system and then bleed all the bubbles out. **(Bubbles = more noise from the pump/higher temps)**

All you need to do is take out that lower 3.25" drive bay....and you will have plenty of room for the radiator. Id did exactly the saem thing for my case. Worked perfect!

StrongSad
21-11-03, 05:00
Your Shopping Cart::

TC-4 Rev 2 Waterblock (AMD, P-4) AMD (Socket A) 1/2"
Price $45.00

Via 1300 Pump (370GPH) 1/2"
Price $22.99

ClearFlex High Grade Tubing: 1/2"
Price $1.50
Quantity: 10

RedLine Water Wetter (4oz)
Price $3.50