PDA

View Full Version : [Brainport] Soul light system changes

Jest
12-11-03, 02:50
In another thread discussing the soul light system its obvious that there are a lot of problems with it. It is there for people to hold to their factions ideals and to prevent killing of low level people but unfortunately it has more than a few bugs in it.

The major flaw is that when an allied or nuetral player initiates an attack on me, I have two choices. Run away or defend myself. If I defend myself I will either die or take a soul light hit from killing that person. This is especially relevant when multiple people attack you at once. Its almost as if you either die or go red from negative soul light. This needs to change.

For one, enable the clan wars. That will solve the majority of the problems. While personally I think its a good idea to uphold the values of your faction, there is definitely more to politics that the F6 key. There are reasons to fight allies and there are even reasons to fight people in your own faction. The game mechanics need to allow for this.

But still there is the problem of unclanned or non-warring allied/nuetral people attacking you. Personally Id like to see a system put in where if some one attacks you, you could attack them back with out losing soul light. Defending yourself from attacker should absolutely never make you a criminal in the Neocron world.

Lastly there is no reason for the high level mob zones to be considered leveling areas where you can lose soul light. Specifically zones like the Chaos Caves. Basically any leveling area outside of Neocron/TH/MB/TG should be an anarchy zone. By the time players reach these areas they are more than capable to fend for themselves.

Glok
12-11-03, 02:53
It used to be that you lost ~5 SL for every kill. They changed it. Bad.

Jest
12-11-03, 02:54
Originally posted by Glok
It used to be that you lost ~5 SL for every kill. They changed it. Bad. Hmm actually that would be a decent change too. Instead of instantly going from 100 to -12 soul light with one kill. :mad:

KimmyG
12-11-03, 02:58
Originally posted by Jest
But still there is the problem of unclanned or non-warring allied/nuetral people attacking you. Personally Id like to see a system put in where if some one attacks you, you could attack them back with out losing soul light. Defending yourself from attacker should absolutely never make you a criminal in the Neocron world.

Problem here this isn;t like UO it is very easy to step into a line of fire make the person attackable.

Where as in UO it was preety hard to step into someones attacks unless they were walling.

Glok
12-11-03, 02:59
Yeah... people complained to no end about it, mainly because you lost SL in OP wars also, which really sucked. Unfortunately this was also the times when KK did sledgehammer balancing. THE ONLY THING THAT NEEDED TO CHANGE WAS THE ADDITION OF WARZONES FFS! You also got SL for mobbing too. So you would have an OP war, then go slay rats for an hour or 2 and then be back in action. It did somewhat make griefing easier, but it was a far sight better than the fucked up system in place now.

hose187
12-11-03, 05:43
Soul Light is "backwards" for some factions.

A "good" TG (+ SL) kills CA, TT, CM (and others). That's what TG are supposed to do. These TG runners are allowed inside NC.

A "bad" TG (- SL) kills other TG, FA, or Crahn. For killing the enemies of Reeza, that TG is greeted with copbot plasma. Likewise, they can wander freely (at least from guards) in TG or TH.

I think all the problems come from the fact that SL isn't it's own ...... umm ...... thing. Copbots are simply faction guards for Soul Light faction. That's probably why clan wars still haven't been implemented. SL should be something that all faction guards react to, but each in a different way.TG guards should fire on red TG's the way copbots fire on red CA.

I also think that all waste zones 2 or more zones away from NC, TG, TH, and MB should be warzones. Who's going to be there to see what goes on?

g0rt
12-11-03, 05:54
Everything you said here is right on Jest.

I support these changes 110%, they may not be quite as hardcore as I would PERSONALLY like it, but I think they would definately benefit the game for the better.

Good call.

Jest
12-11-03, 07:18
Originally posted by KimmyG
Problem here this isn;t like UO it is very easy to step into a line of fire make the person attackable.

Where as in UO it was preety hard to step into someones attacks unless they were walling. Thats definitely the largest flaw, and in reality there is not really a best way to do it. Perhaps making it so that only a certain % of damage is done before you can attack them back. This is the hardest to get around of them all. I think we can all agree that getting attacked and you being penalized is the epitome of lameness so I think something must be done. If any one can think of something better then definitely post it here. Theres gotta be a happy medium between no SL at all and the current situation.

KimmyG
12-11-03, 07:39
Yea I guess not the greatest but the rest of the changes look good.

LVirus
12-11-03, 08:35
Yes, please yes make all wasteland areas warzones BUT with beltdrop enabled .. so in opwar your belt WILL drop (Or at least non op zone there will be belt lose)

1 zone across main city areas (MB,TH,TG,NC) is anarchy zone but beyond that, bad dark and mean wasteland :lol:

Currently there is many shortcorners in coding and in game logic because game was rushed. Client does alot of work still, but they took away damage, heal, exp and skill point stuff from client but most stuff is STILL in client. If your client says you got SI, it's not nesessarly that ...

And what comes to guards and SL, shoot someone to half-death and do certain trick to avoid SL lose .. or attack guards, do certain trick and walk away dancing and whistling while guards stands there stupidy :(

Most of your suggestions cannot be made before KK really codes stuff like this to be REAL code, not some quick implented stuff to game mechanics.

Jest
12-11-03, 18:24
Originally posted by LVirus
And what comes to guards and SL, shoot someone to half-death and do certain trick to avoid SL lose .. or attack guards, do certain trick and walk away dancing and whistling while guards stands there stupidy :(
Yah tell me about it. Nothing more I hate in this game than a poison APU that is a zone whore. Especially when its used to kill allied people.

Ascension
12-11-03, 18:55
Maybe 10 SL Hits per keel?:confused:

And then afta - 6 it slows?

ah dunno just a thought?:cool:

kreal
12-11-03, 19:04
WHINE WHINE damnit and more WHINE

WHY the fuck don't you just play the game like it is

=( peace out

Judge
12-11-03, 19:16
Because we want to make the game better kreal.

Dribble Joy
12-11-03, 19:20
*Claps

Yarr, good ness.

Perhaps SL could be with respect to your faction, not the copbots. So killing CA as a TG won't matter, but killing a Crahn will.

Jest
12-11-03, 19:26
Originally posted by kreal

=( peace out Cause not all of us can kill people by casting poison and then zoning. :lol:

g0rt
12-11-03, 19:31

=( peace out

Because there was 300 people playing the entire game last night.

Thats why.

So instead of just playing the game and watching it die, why not try and help it by giving the devs good ideas like Jest's here?

kreal
12-11-03, 19:34
Originally posted by Jest
Cause not all of us can kill people by casting poison and then zoning. :lol: ´

hehe good one =)

but still yes i poison but they zone :D

EDIT: to the rest ( that was just me being noob. But none the less i have no problems what so ever, with the game like it is now. )

But i see that many, and i mean many ppl have isues with the way la game is constructed at the moment. And thats a shame imo because as i see it i could play forever like that way it is now.. And please lets not get into the monk problems and stuff, because yes i know there is a problem. anyhow

Peace out again and again ;)

Jest
13-11-03, 02:34

But i see that many, and i mean many ppl have isues with the way la game is constructed at the moment. And thats a shame imo because as i see it i could play forever like that way it is now.. And please lets not get into the monk problems and stuff, because yes i know there is a problem. anyhow
I could tolerate the current soul light system but I'd much rather see some of the suggested changes as opposed to the current system. Faction politics can be complex in this game (ie both of my friends are enemies) so I think the game needs to allow for us to stray F6 politics if we need too.

]v[ortice
13-11-03, 02:41
If only they could come up with a system where you lost soullight according to the SL of the runner you killed, his rank compared to yours and also his relation to your faction it would be cool.

I agree that if you kill somone it shouldn't hit your SL down to below 0 from 100... but there should be heavier penalties for Noob Pkers to discourage runners from doing it and to also encourage new players to keep playing the game.

This has to be the most difficult and contentious issue tho... If there's a 0/2 gobby little shite who calls ur momma an ass they deserve to be given a hiding imo... but how do you differentiate the penalties for doing that to doing it to some runner of the same low level rank who has done nothing wrong?

Neocron truly is a harsh world :)

Nice thread Jest BTW... 4 stars from me.