PDA

View Full Version : A warning to clans using Roger Wilco software.

lullysing
11-11-03, 19:09
I give you a serious warning folks : exploit code has been released in the wild for roger wilco. Amongs other things, the exploit code can ( according to the ( heavely edited and purpusefully incomplete ) code commentaries).

- Remote broadcast BoF in (certain) versions
- DoS to freeze servers
- Server crash in (certain) versions
- Buffer-overflow in (certain) versions
- Retrieve info from the remote server using UDP (if not hidden)
- "If the server is dedicated, all the clients connected are vulnerable"
- "This exploit, without using any of these bugs'options, runs like a sniffer and shows you some useful informations"

I have to go to work right now, but i figured you guys might be interested in knowing this. I'm really sorry for breaking this to ya.

Wannabe
11-11-03, 19:24
Uhh... why not use Ventrilo? (http://ventrilo.com) Good Voice-comm program with low memory and cpu usage.
Good quality sounds with low latency.

</payed advertisement>

// Wannabe

Vid Gamer
11-11-03, 19:35
I use TS.

BaDDaSS
11-11-03, 19:58
Ive used all 3, and it has to be said that Ventrilo is teh win.

TS is like using a walkie-talkie :S
Rojer Wilko is just like paper cups and string.

Ventrilo is crystal clear :)

g0rt
11-11-03, 20:11
Use Teamspeak (http://www.teamspeak.org) its a hell of alot better anyway.

Ventrillo is also good, but more complicated and adds a bunch of features that aren't really needed.

Omnituens
11-11-03, 20:20
Ventrillo warps your voice.

TS does not.

dr.fish
11-11-03, 20:26
TS works fine for me

SypH
11-11-03, 21:25
I just shout.

Really loud.

Cruzbroker
11-11-03, 22:31
TS is heavy, when I tired what ever version is..
RW has bad sound, not really configurable..
(we don't need those public channels)

Ventrilo teh win :D it's like talking in a phone or better, and very light ..

Archeus
11-11-03, 22:34
I wonder if any of the people who got hacked were using that?

BaDDaSS
11-11-03, 22:43
lol @ warps
lol @ complicated un-needed features :/

lullysing
11-11-03, 22:47
Well, i know PIMP were using Rw for a little while, until that preject got mostly abandoned as the gang stopped attacking us ( and as our level of coordination stopped being important anymore).

Thing is, the exploit is there, it's in the wild, and although i haven't tryed it ( i'm a Junior network admin, not a frikking script kiddie) , it should work on the newest version up for download. I actually checked the version numbers ( and is the reason i removed them from those re-posted incomplete patch notes).

Jaggeh
11-11-03, 23:00
i just write my messages down on a peice of paper and pass it on to my neighbour, eventually it makes its way to its desired targetm its almost as fast.

having no duplex sound sucks :(

Shadow Dancer
11-11-03, 23:41
Originally posted by Archeus
I wonder if any of the people who got hacked were using that?

omg, that's a damn good question.

lullysing
12-11-03, 03:41
Originally posted by Shadow Dancer
omg, that's a damn good question.

I highly suspect of cases that people told the alt's/clan_app passwords over voicechat. Not sure how long the exploit has been in the wild.

g0rt
12-11-03, 05:21
Originally posted by BaDDaSS
lol @ warps
lol @ complicated un-needed features :/

You misunderstood.

MORE Complicated. Not just Complicated.

TS is quick, easy and works. If its not broken, don't fix it.

Jimbo2552
12-11-03, 06:11
Thanks for the info, in the past I used RW and I never realized... Ill pass this info on :)

LVirus
12-11-03, 08:40
Originally posted by g0rt
Ventrillo is also good, but more complicated and adds a bunch of features that aren't really needed.

Hahhaha no way man! I just love to bind "ALT" which is my INGAME jump button to be TEXT-to-SPEECH button for "Lore is a hairy midget" and every time I jump, I say that in a robot voice ... until my leader says to stfu and threatens to kick me from clan :D

lullysing
12-11-03, 23:02
Originally posted by Jimbo2552
Thanks for the info, in the past I used RW and I never realized... Ill pass this info on :)

Wow... I just realised you're actually the only person in this thread that thanked me. I guess Rw is not that used anymore then.