PDA

View Full Version : So you think your a vet?

Plight
11-11-03, 18:23
Ok people, some of you know me, most do not. Actually, most OLD SKEWL vets know me. Ive been back for quite a while, just havnt posted on these friggin forums, hehe.

Soooo, im just curious to see how many of us TRUE vets are left.
My deinition of vet is different than others so deal wif it.

I know this has been done before, so deal with it. Its a simple quiz. (please dont turn this into a flame war of OMG I OWNZ NEOCRON THUS I R VET!!!!)

Question 1: Name Three pkers from beta 1 or 2 (hint: S, R, F. these are just the most prominant ones i remember)

Question 2: What was the first ACTIVE Neocron clan? And who was the leader? (hint: TC)

Question 3: In one word, describe a trip to TH or MB in Beta 2.

Question 4: What was MY class all through beta? (I remember people constantly laughed or pitied me, hehe *slaps uman and thane*)

Question 5: In beta 3, what was our little friend at the end of the storage halls?

Question 6: In beta 2, describe the self rez exploit

Question 7: This loot was dropped by spiders (whne they actually hurt) and was needed to make all the high end chips like sf. (hint: BPG)

Question 8: Describe the ORIGINAL effects of stun beam. Im not talking the fact that it stunned, it was another "fun" factor, hehe.

Question 9: How many CDs was beta 2?

Thats it for now. Im just really curious as to the responses I get, if your not from b3 or before, take a stab at it anyway. Im gone, time for school. Ill give answers if noone gives them all before hand.

This is mainly a reminiscing thread people, not just a little quiz, so feel free to talk about the good times as well.

EDIT: Neocron Newbie my ass :p

Plight Out.

*ph33r*
11-11-03, 18:36
Was only around for beta 4 so I guess I suck...

So er suck my Registration date ^_^

craio
11-11-03, 18:40
Originally posted by Plight

Question 7: This loot was dropped by spiders (whne they actually hurt) and was needed to make all the high end chips like sf. (hint: BPG)

Hm, always wondered why Poison Glands were so valued in beta

QuantumDelta
11-11-03, 18:51
Depends, on what you call veteran.

Vet = Skill - No.
Vet = Outdated - Most Likely.

Skilled = Vet - Not nessicarily.
High Level = Skilled - No.

Meh.
Call my cynical but it's how I am since I have been some of the best in most of the games I've played, but don't *stay* there to stay the best...

ezza
11-11-03, 18:51
when do we get the answers to the questions?

i think hes calling a vet someone who has been here a long long time so no skill needed:p

Elric
11-11-03, 18:55
Question 1: Name Three pkers from beta 1 or 2 (hint: S, R, F. these are just the most prominant ones i remember)

Easy, Sid, Ryker.... er... before my time (or rather memory), those are 2 prominent PK'rs I remember from B4 tho.

Question 5: In beta 3, what was our little friend at the end of the storage halls?

Same one that was still there in Beta4? Warrbot of course.

Blue Poison Glands...that explains that one then. Never did figure taht one out. The whole recycle for dex chitin trade was alot funnier tho.

Question 8: Describe the ORIGINAL effects of stun beam. Im not talking the fact that it stunned, it was another "fun" factor, hehe.

Someone answer this, Im curious.

Er... Wild guess... 3 was it not?

This is mainly a reminiscing thread people, not just a little quiz, so feel free to talk about the good times as well.

First time i seen a Warbot..." oooh, whats this..." *ZAP* please select a genrep :rolleyes: First time I seen a Doomreaper and a Raptor "ooooh, thats cool, what is it" *roar* "AAARGH IT BURNS!!" please select a genrep :rolleyes:

all fun when its new :)

I must reactivate again..... (<--- notice, this is me trying to persuade myself again, 3 months and NOW the withdrawl hits... :rolleyes: )

QuantumDelta
11-11-03, 18:57
Originally posted by ezza
when do we get the answers to the questions?

i think hes calling a vet someone who has been here a long long time so no skill needed:p You want a prize for being an OAP?
If you've been around a long time and are useless you're worse than a newb who hasn't been around long and is useless :p
It's what pisses me off about most Vets.
They get up to this certain skill level ..then go "oh yea we own."
Then get lazy and stay at that skill level rather than trying to get better, so people below them get better.

Typically (in the last three games I played) people who did this, called themselves vets.
I pwned every single damned one.

So I couldn't care a less how long someone has been around if they're not useful, or not skilled they're not worth the time, unless they show the potential to be better...

Old Age is not instant grounds for respect.

I was told parashock originally STOPPED people dead.

ezza
11-11-03, 19:02
sorry sunny Jim speak up cant quite hear you:D

anyway youve been around a lot longer than me proberbly and are proberbly more skilled than me meh but that dont bother me.

what bothers me more is the lack of willing from the vets to help noobs in game, very few people seem to help out on the help chat, you can be l33t all you like but whats the point if you aint gonna show your l33tness and all knowing to others.

anyway only made it tail end of beta last few days before retail release.

been here everpresent and i might not be all knowing but i know a good deal about the game:)

doubt theres many beta 2 or 3 players left, maybe a few but not that many

jernau
11-11-03, 19:07
QD - Put it back in your trousers.

Every thread doesn't have to be an excuse for you to tell us how great you think you are.

He said he didn't care about people's definitions of "veteran" and asked people to have fun with a little quiz.

Elric
11-11-03, 19:08
Originally posted by QuantumDelta
You want a prize for being an OAP?
If you've been around a long time and are useless you're worse than a newb who hasn't been around long and is useless :p
Then get lazy and stay at that skill level rather than trying to get better, so people below them get better.

Typically (in the last three games I played) people who did this, called themselves vets.

So I couldn't care a less how long someone has been around if they're not useful, or not skilled they're not worth the time, unless they show the potential to be better...

Vet in this case is reffering to someone who was here or still is from the beta days, feck all to do with skill or otherwise.

Hell, I been here longer than you (going by your current reg date so i could be wrong) and I am pretty sure I am not even half as "skilled" as most people on the boards (and i got a couple of patches of changes to catch up on). Its not like I care or allow it to bother me, still doesnt make a difference to how long I been here tho skilled or not. Anyways, Veteran is not a term used to describe skilled people, heres the dictionary version

A person who is long experienced or practiced in an activity or capacity: a veteran of political campaigns.
A person who has served in the armed forces: “Privilege, a token income... were allowed for veterans of both world wars” (Mavis Gallant).
An old soldier who has seen long service.

so... I had a point.. Ive rambled and forgot... Veteran is not a defenition of skill so stop gettin yuer panties in a twist :p ;)

*ph33r*
11-11-03, 19:09
Originally posted by jernau

Every thread doesn't have to be an excuse for you to tell us how great you think you are.

He said he didn't care about people's definitions of "veteran" and asked people to have fun with a little quiz.

lol was only a matter of time before something burst about QD's giant ego :D

Richard Adregen
11-11-03, 19:12
Meh... I only got hearsay about all this stuff from some of the people I know who WERE in beta 3 or 2 or 1... I suppose most of the GMs are beta 2 or 3 vets... Ah well.

RA.

Wannabe
11-11-03, 19:15

I wasn't in Beta 1 nor in Beta 2. Only got to Beta 3 ^^
So I have no idea who were PK'ers in those betas but from 3rd beta I remember: Bitch, iamexploitertoo, korvolina.

Question 2: What was the first ACTIVE Neocron clan? And who was the leader? (hint: TC)

No clue. Gotta admit that =)

Heh, still hard to answer. Beta 3 you just walked there, tried not to run into flamer muties as they had insane range and were one-shot killers.

Question 4: What was MY class all through beta? (I remember people constantly laughed or pitied me, hehe *slaps uman and thane*)

I'd say either a spy or a PE =)

Warbot Titan. or was it just a normal Warbot.

Select genrep, alt-f4, relogin. Tada! You were alive.

Blue Poison Gland.

You crashed or something I guess ^^

1 CD.

Heh, I remember the nice mix up from Beta 3 as they mislabeled the CDs. So play CD (containing terrain pack) was actually the install cd and vice versa.

Anyone remember by the way what was my first class in beta 3 and what name I used there =)

// Wannabe

QuantumDelta
11-11-03, 19:17
Heh, Elric nailed it.

I "grew up" in FS2 under a group of people that called themselves vet's and thought they were gods...

It has, and probably always will piss me off...

like I said... I'm good now, but in a few months? who knows.
I don't think I ever claimed to be #1, probably never will, you can't really tell in an MMO...

what's more, is that if I ever leave, people will continue to play this game, and progress, and I can forsee a level of skill, and a level of setup that surpasses most of todays skill levels by far...

I also see people with the potential to reach those levels of which I do not seem to be one... it's the reason I do help people because, I know, they CAN be better than me at this game.

....I'll shut up now, I'm suprised how accurately Elrick nailed that though... o_O

Wannabe
11-11-03, 19:18
doubt theres many beta 2 or 3 players left, maybe a few but not that many

Still here since beta 3.
Still as unknown as ever :p

// Wannabe

Elric
11-11-03, 19:23
Heh, Elric nailed it.

I "grew up" in FS2 under a group of people that called themselves vet's and thought they were gods...

I don't think I ever claimed to be #1, probably never will, you can't really tell in an MMO...

what's more, is that if I ever leave, people will continue to play this game, and progress, and I can forsee a level of skill, and a level of setup that surpasses most of todays skill levels by far...

I also see people with the potential to reach those levels of which I do not seem to be one... it's the reason I do help people because, I know, they CAN be better than me at this game.

....I'll shut up now, I'm suprised how accurately Elrick nailed that though... o_O

Im in a good mood today, I tend to think better :)

I dunno about what you say in terms of setups and stuff there. Theres a limit to every class and what each class can achieve stats wise so I dont think much can change no matter how long NC goes on in that way.
Individual Players skill at a game mechanics can improve.. eg better at fps combat etc. but as far as things can go, I *think* Vetterox has some of the actual setups damn near as good as they can go when taking everything into account (Drugs, Psi, implants etc).
I guess as time goes on its just that more people will find these things and more people will come closer to the best setups. the only thing that can change will be the actual capability of the guy in control.

ReefSmoker
11-11-03, 19:25
OMG Howdy Plight !!

As you well know, I'm a beta 3 noob, I never considered myself a vet because I knew so many cool peeps who were in beta 1 and 2 who were the 'true' vets :)

Nice little pop quiz you've got going there, I'll leave it to others to fill in most of the answers since they're doing such a good job of it already (Hiya Wannabe!!) ;)

Can't think of one word to describe the trip to MB in beta 2, all I know for sure is that it was damn hard without any maps !

You were monk in beta weren't you ? I remember having a few chats with you about my monk, Excalibur back then, monks were the underdogs back then, guess they're getting their time in the limelight now though :)

Self-rez existed in beta 3 too, involved alt-f4 when choosing a generep - Kri-Shan (Steppenwolf) was eventually persuaded that Blue-Tech should refrain from using that exploit, despite it being handy for clan hunts ;)

Anyhow good to see you've popped in for a bit, I don't play as much as I used to, but I've been here all along... This game's had my interest for a long time, but it sortof died off when Blue-Tech folded and I went looking elsewhere - I play 3 or 4 times a week which is nothing compared to previous playstyle :lol:

Take care,

Reefie

PS : I miss warbots with plasma firepower, still not used to these freezer types !

Rizzy
11-11-03, 19:27

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Someone answer this, Im curious.

it wasnt the fact it did lots of damage was it? or was it different in beta 2

Connell
11-11-03, 19:29

Youve already said that you think vets suck and we understood the first time. What if there are vets out there that own you? youll have to live with that

Richard Adregen
11-11-03, 19:31
Wannabe... you were a spy... I'm almost sure of it :/

It'd be awfully bad of me if I didn't know that! Which probably means I'm wrong.

RA.

QuantumDelta
11-11-03, 19:33
When people are genuinely better than me I don't bite at them O.o
If it's hard to tell who is better, I don't bite at them.
I do not walk around saying "oh XaNToR's shit" or "oh I could pwn VetteroX"

There are vets out there in other games that completely pwnz0r me.
I'm absolutely USELESS at counter strike it seems against certain tactics, even though I'm getting better.
I don't walk around yelling at them, either.
apart from the occasional mumble about AWP + Long Range + Camp :p

I didn't complain on Tribes2 when I occasionally got pwned.

If someone is genuinely skilled, and, even genuinely more skilled than I am, because of the level of skill I have, fighting them is incredibly FUN.

I cherrish strong opponents, the only thing you could compare it too, would be Goku...

edit;
Pulse he ain't on MSN right now but I'm sure he'll turn up now his names been mentioned.... :D

*ph33r*
11-11-03, 19:33
<3 Richard :D

Wheres sl33py at these days, he's a neocron legend :p

Richard Adregen
11-11-03, 19:55
He's a legend indeed... But I haven't seen him in ages. He'll be back! They'll ALLL be back! Bwahahahhahaha!... Or not... :wtf::angel:

EDIT: Actually, he IS still posting. He's still alive! o_O

RA.

g0rt
11-11-03, 20:09
Anyone thats been here since beta and never quit for a certain amount of time is a vet, in my opinion. If you started in retail, its gonna be a long time till you're a vet :p , and if you QUIT and then came back...you're a quitter! Not a vet :p

Elric
11-11-03, 20:11
Originally posted by g0rt
Anyone thats been here since beta and never quit for a certain amount of time is a vet, in my opinion. If you started in retail, its gonna be a long time till you're a vet :p , and if you QUIT and then came back...you're a quitter! Not a vet :p

:lol:

Im a quitter now then? Had to quit eventually, everything just got way too stale. It wasnt fun anymore, I stressed more playing than I did at work. Thinking about coming back tho, thats if I can get some time to reinstall and patch up again. Quitters are the ones that you never see again :P

Vid Gamer
11-11-03, 20:15

Hmm, wasn't TH and MB weren't even on the world map? It used to be a ghost town there because no one knew it was there or everyone thought it was so far.

EDIT: For question 4 you were a Monk.

Wannabe
11-11-03, 20:23
Originally posted by Richard Adregen
Wannabe... you were a spy... I'm almost sure of it :/

It'd be awfully bad of me if I didn't know that! Which probably means I'm wrong.

RA.

*Sound of a buzzer going on -- Slam big red subtitles saying "WRONG ANSWER!"*

First class I ever was, was the Psi-monk! I really liked the idea of blowing people apart with mental usage. Back when we had Exotic psi use that was required by resurrection. I still hope I have the screenshot of me resurrection a fallen clan mate (team mate back then ^^) for the very first time.

Damn it RA, you were in Blue-Tech with me so you should know ^_^

// Wannabe

g0rt
11-11-03, 20:43
Originally posted by Elric

Im a quitter now then? Had to quit eventually, everything just got way too stale. It wasnt fun anymore, I stressed more playing than I did at work. Thinking about coming back tho, thats if I can get some time to reinstall and patch up again. Quitters are the ones that you never see again :P

Alright, I stand corrected....was just an opinion though ;)

Doc Holliday
11-11-03, 21:01

:eek: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: thats put a smile on my face.

Ren
11-11-03, 21:06

Hmm Raiden, Flawless.... Sid...? bitch.. lol, good old bitch.

not sure on the name, but "The_Canadian didnt run it did he?

Underground

PSI

Warbot Titan

Alt+F4 after GR'ing

Brown Gland

Cant remember :(

One - with crappy german handwriting :P

Questions answered

I OWN0rzed Plight :P

edit: Stfu QD, i've always wanted to say that to you.

So what you don't like people giving the title of "vet" to others, Woopy fucking doo, take it else where and stop the constant bitching for once.....please.

KTHX BYE

Devils Grace
11-11-03, 21:07
"drop the guns" "NOW"
"dont u know me???"

"im a vet, ive started this game so long ago that i cast thunders with my ass that will kill in a sec, and the grims call me SIR"
"so dont need to fight u cant win"

"u still donot know me _ª???"
"thats kuz i havent played for like 7 months"

y7ah right.................n000bbbbbbbbb

greploco
11-11-03, 21:15
this is pretty funny, beta 4 here with breaks along the way

this is what I knew from that

don't think anyone got this one. good lord, anyone remember this?

"fwapfwapfwapfwapfwapfwapsvvvvvvvvvvvvvvpop"

it's the sound of a dragonfly hitting you from across the entire zone diagonally and nearly killing you. the other part of the run was constant crashing and lots of hovers who were very very aggro.

warbot

something other than the green poison gland, my god I remember how blown away I was when I saw that. before that I thought they were a myth.

hmm, when I was around they did absolutly nothing and no one used them at all.

Ren
11-11-03, 21:24
Originally posted by greploco

don't think anyone got this one. good lord, anyone remember this?

Do you not remember the floor? you couldn't touch it without falling under...t'was funny.

\\Fényx//
11-11-03, 21:26
Beta 2 is 1 CD, Still got mine :p

And theres Sid, Ryker, FaTaLWolF :P

Played beta 2 for a few months, then moveed outta my parents, went a looong time without the net, got it back intime for the retail UK Release...

Gotterdammerung
11-11-03, 21:47
This is a nice quiz, but it eludes me how some threads always turn into "Clash of the Titanic Egos". Someone else already stole my fav quote here, but seriously, keep it in your pants (and I'm talking to more then just 1 person) and stay on topic please.

Elric
11-11-03, 23:12
Originally posted by Gotterdammerung
This is a nice quiz, but it eludes me how some threads always turn into "Clash of the Titanic Egos".

anyways.. I thought fatalwolf WAS Sid.... or was he Insidious Wolf ... I know he had a "wolf character.. just cant remember which one... bloody confusing.. I remember Fatal aswell tho.

ezza
11-11-03, 23:15
InSIDious Wolf was sid;)

Elric
11-11-03, 23:17
InSIDious Wolf was sid;)

DOH... Of course... I feel a bit silly now...

Genty
11-11-03, 23:40
I am no Vet, but I been here longer than most of the newbies left :p

I don't really remember names overly well, i was killed so fast i did'nt have much time to check...bloody RayGun Cannon's

The Company...I believe Preacher had something to do with it....not sure if he was the leader or not

All I remember was being constantly under the damn land.

Melee PE was'nt it....or was I thinking of someone else......

Warbots....but not the same as the ones are here now...different weapon of sorts

Already been explained...

Brown or Blue Poison Glands....never remember that.

Drawing a blank here

1 lonely one

Elric
11-11-03, 23:56
Originally posted by Genty

Warbots....but not the same as the ones are here now...different weapon of sorts

I always remember them being bigger too. Much much bigger....

The one in OZ Storage level seemed to be almost as high as the roof... It could be a distorted perspective from being indoors and in complete awe, it was the first time i had seen one... and been killed by one....

Jest
11-11-03, 23:59
I guess Im not a vet time wise. :(

Though its always funny when beta players come back to the game are are like, "you dont know me? Pft newb. I was an elite beta player." And then they go on to ask questions like "whats an epic" or "how come it wont let me GR to the op." Eh... because the game has changed in 8 months... newb. :eek:

But the point of the thread was to reminisce and even though Im no beta vet, if I may... Back when Doomies and Warbots were the only mobs that dropped rares, back when Grim Chasers only spawned and didnt attack, back when a Libby PE could take on an entire army himself, back when the spies wore VK armor cause it was dex based, and back when Tech Haven had a bot in section 2. :lol: Those are some good memories of early retail.

nonamebrandeggs
12-11-03, 00:35
Originally posted by *ph33r*
<3 Richard :D

Wheres sl33py at these days, he's a neocron legend :p

I directed sl33py to the Psi PA NPC on pluto a few days back, he's still here ;).

NERD Editor
12-11-03, 00:45
1.) Yeah Raiden was beta 2, Flawl3ss seemed more beta 3. No idea about the S one, didn't get killed that often back then.

2.) Uhh.... was on a break when clans started, but I'll guess The Corporation.

3.) Long. Uninteresting. Deserty. Mapless.

4.) Well if people were laughing you had to be a Monk. Little bald headed weaklings, unlike the mutant strain of Monks that seem to be annoying so many forum goers these days. Apparently they weren't giving the monks in beta their vitamins.

5.) Warbot/Warbot Titan. Far too many hours used up in the storage halls with a Flamethrower (yes kids you heard me) toasting those guys to get our decent loot.

6.) Alt+ f4 when you tapped out to a generep, come back in and be alive and well. Or.... moan on global about how stupidly you died and wait for Thanatos[KK] to take pity on you as he appeared to ressurect you, then watch him get gunned down by a warbot cause he forgot to put godmode on.

7.) Well Blue and Brown poisonglands.... but I always got them off the Scorpion in Outzone 3 or the Dragonflies in B 08. Ah yes.... charging 50k for a brown poisongland and 20k for a blue just so everyone could have a Special Forces chip or 3....

8.) Uhh....stun beam... yes ... well.... um.... Pass. Why couldn't you have asked what the effect of using a Psi heal was. The good old "yay my health went up but my constitution xp went down. So lets run around and heal all the macroers till they've got negative constitution and will have to reroll. Yeah, ask me about that, not freakn stun beam...... you ...you.... beta Monk!!

9.) 1 CD. I'm using it as a coaster. Think I still got the Letter from Reakktor that came with it too.

Oh and Elric, you are right, the Warbots were much bigger in beta. The Warbot Titan's missile stack pretty much touched the ceiling in a storage hall. And they packed a far better missile launcher and duel plasma rifles for extra blinding goodness.

QuantumDelta
12-11-03, 00:46
Originally posted by Doc Holliday
:eek: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: thats put a smile on my face. Shame you can't claim to be either.

Originally posted by Ren

edit: Stfu QD, i've always wanted to say that to you.

So what you don't like people giving the title of "vet" to others, Woopy fucking doo, take it else where and stop the constant bitching for once.....please.

KTHX BYE

Because people make the "Veteran" status and group to be elite and exclusive when it is not.

I just deleted two paragraphs of bite IRC Boy.

Jernau, choose your words better I don't say what I think.
I say what I know.

Gotter - I will always explode at threads like this, "Veteran's" bein around thinkin they're 1337 because they've been here a long time, when in actual fact they are useless.
(uselessness denotes worthlessness however because of things like social circles and money, vet's aren't worthless...).
Again I gotta bite my tounge about people like ren...

amfest
12-11-03, 00:52
LOL . . . I reember getting into beta 4 in sept till end of beta (eob) lol .. . and then decided to wait on retail . . . cause of the bugs and such . .. and didn't get neocron till April or may abouts .. . (realized I missed the early retail fun ) . . .thought I'd make some money and level with my monk so as soon as I got in ran to Oz sec 4 . . and found myself confronted by quite a few mutants .. that were a crap load harder to kill .. ..looked aorund for alcoyates and preachers to get spells off of to sell back for money .. and found meat products and drinks o_O . . . in which case I was like errrrrrr . . . what did I miss :D

nonamebrandeggs
12-11-03, 00:52
Oi it's Rememberance Day, we are supposed to be remembering veterans

...who...died...

Yeah
They cant talk
Because they're dead!

QuantumDelta
12-11-03, 00:54
Originally posted by nonamebrandeggs
Oi it's Rememberance Day, we are supposed to be remembering veterans

...who...died...

Yeah
They cant talk
Because they're dead!
IE;
Useless.
But not worthless.

Ren
12-11-03, 01:32
instead of trolling, try keeping your post count down for once QD.

*expects normal - "BUT YOUR TROLLING NOW!!!" post......*

You never change QD, you've made your point, just leave.

- Irc Boy -

Lmao.

Elric
12-11-03, 02:10
Originally posted by NERD Editor

Oh and Elric, you are right, the Warbots were much bigger in beta. The Warbot Titan's missile stack pretty much touched the ceiling in a storage hall. And they packed a far better missile launcher and duel plasma rifles for extra blinding goodness.

I bloody knew it!!!!

I swear, first time i went warbot hunting a bit into retail.. I was wandering about goin "these things used to be bigger i swear" people looked at me like i was crazy....

Thank you for confirming my sanity for me m8 ;)

Glok
12-11-03, 02:12
What a great thread. :lol:

Does anyone remember how many of these threads there were last august and september? (2002) Some vets left the forums forever over it. Can't say I blame them.

/beta 4 n00b. :D

amfest
12-11-03, 02:13
I think there are some sites with screenshots of how huge they used to be . . . . I'll look and see if i can find one . .

NERD Editor
12-11-03, 02:28
Actually practically everything was bigger in beta (in terms of mobs anyway). If anyone still has those screenshots from Beta 4 when I skin changed into the Giant dog and the beta Doomreaper you'll know what I mean. The Doomreaper was almost twice the size of the current ones and the dog was so big someone was standing up and still had his head firmly lodged in the dogs butt.

I think everything just got shrunk down so a.) they looked a little better and b.) so you could fit more of them in a zone.

Which wasn't a great idea in my opinion. And I still miss the Doomreapers killer Boomerangs. Instead of using a firelance attack like they do now they launched these homing boomerang things. And since they were so big those boomerangs pretty much could hit anywhere (and hit hard), hence they were a real challenge.

Same with warbots. Rather than tearing you to shreds with plasma and a missile rack that seemed to be on full auto we now have the 'freeze, so i can slowly kill you' warbots roaming around. Yare yare.... give me Aggressors that actually have to be feared again....

amfest
12-11-03, 02:59
Looking for screenshots I seem to find some funny stuff

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/r/?page=http://www.computerandvideogames.com/news/news_story.php(que)id=25451 (http://http://www.computerandvideogames.com/r/?page=http://www.computerandvideogames.com/news/news_story.php(que)id=25451)

get a load of the tank in the tank ;)

anyhow . . I can't find those screenshots of neocron with the huge warbot :(

t0tt3
12-11-03, 03:24
well just becasue you are a beta tester doesnt mean that you are a vet gamer ^^

I mean thats not even a game then.... Can only start from a retail version or else its just beta vets and thats an other story. A Neocron player vet that knows all in retail frlom day one are a noob because he doesnt know what the beta was like :lol:

ReefSmoker
12-11-03, 03:26
Originally posted by amfest
I think there are some sites with screenshots of how huge they used to be . . . . I'll look and see if i can find one . .

Sounds like a queue for me to break out that CD of beta 3 screenies... I've got shots of Wannabe in amongst them ;)

Here we go... let's get these uploaded and linked, man talk about nostalgia while going through 500 screenies from back then !

Old fashioned warbot action ! (http://www.blue-technologies.org/bluetech/pics/warbotaction.jpg)
Something strange... (http://www.blue-technologies.org/bluetech/pics/somethingstrange.jpg)
Where'd everything go ?? (http://www.blue-technologies.org/bluetech/pics/itallgone.jpg)
This is what happens when you give a copbot some cron beer ;) (http://www.blue-technologies.org/bluetech/pics/madcopbots.jpg)
Trouble in the distance (http://www.blue-technologies.org/bluetech/pics/darkngloomy.jpg)
An army of trained scorpions ! (http://www.blue-technologies.org/bluetech/pics/scorpionslineup.jpg)
Dancing with warbots (don't try this at home kids) (http://www.blue-technologies.org/bluetech/pics/dancingwithwarbots.jpg)

Nothing special really, just a look back into the past - I decided to leave out the ones of SnowCrash on his first day at work when I almost killed him and he had to run to the other room in my TH appt to turn godmode back on :D Talking of which I loved the old TH appts, two seperate rooms connected by a corridor... Stick a few cabinets in them and they'd be perfect for Neocron as we know it today :)

Take care,

Reefie

EDIT : that last screenie has a picture of SnowCrash's wee brother in it ;)

Scikar
12-11-03, 03:45
I wasn't in beta but I've always wished WBs could be a bit bigger. PC Gamer described WBs as the Dragons of Neocron, so I was a bit disappointed when they turned out to be fairly small and soloable. :(

Maybe at some point KK can scale up the higher level mobs without changing muties and dogs at the same time. Then "Giant Scorpians" could be big.

jernau
12-11-03, 04:04
Jernau, choose your words better I don't say what I think.
I say what I know.

No offence QD but that's bollox.

You think being here a long time means nothing and a lot of people disagree. Being the "best" is not the be all and end all of everything, sometimes just being there can be more important.

Being this weeks "top dog" means something, sure, but so does being there to see the previous 10 "top dogs" and learning something from all of them. By learning I don't just mean learning about one aspect of the game, I mean about ALL aspects.

Neocron is a virtual world and has history, heroes, villains and tales just like the real world. People who can offer insight into the past are invaluable and should not be called "useless". Those who forget the past are bound to repeat it - this is a phrase we should all be aware of today of all days.

If you don't like defining a "vet" as someone who's been here a long time then tough, the dictionary defines it that way so you need to find another title for whatever it is you see yourself as.

This is a game, in case you forgot so you could say the "best" player is the one who enjoys it the most. I'm open to suggestions on how you intend to measure that. A lot of vets have fond memories of NC times gone by as I'm sure we all do of RL times gone by. Why do you begrudge them talking about it? Especially here of all places?

Plight
12-11-03, 04:24
OMG, i didnt expect to get this many responses, lol.

Anywhoo, everyones definition of Vet is different. My personal definition is someone who has stayed try and true to a game for a LOONG time. Skill is NOT a requirment to be a vet. Maybe we should stop referring to the term vet and switch to elder.... lol.

I know some of you are itching to know some of the answers to these, i wont keep you in suspense any longer (some of you couldnt care less i know). The questions are somewhat open ended, theres no exact answer to some, hence the reminiscing.

Heres MY answers to the quiz:

1: Fisbin, Shambler, and of course Raiden
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shambler was the n00b of the 3, he liked using fire spells to take people out (when they actually hurt). Not bad for a PE, lol.

Fisbin was always just annoying and bitchy, but he still PKed his fair share.

Now on to Raiden, he was a PKer true, but he was fucking fun as hell to watch. He had good days and bad days. Some days hed only PK those who pissed him off, others everyone was fair game. I remember one particular day, him and JOAT got into it, and i was watching. They were griping back and forth (those o fyou who remember JOAT.... know JOAT, lol). And raiden killed him with his plasma rifle. So i rezzed JOAT, and then, openly asked him if i could join his clan. Of crouse raiden was around, and was just like "OMG WTF" and blasted me, i cracked up for about an hour after that, was just funny.

These are just 3 PKers, you have to realize that in beta 2, everyone knew everyone. We were VERY close. So whenever someone pked, everyone knew about it, and bitched about it of course.

2: What was the first ACTIVE Neocron clan? And who was the leader? (hint: TC)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This one is also debateable, wonder why i gave hints in the first place lol. But yes, it was TheCompany. And was led by Fatesender, not preach as some have said. This was my first clan... ever. I remember when fight nights were held in PP, and one night TC raided it and killed everyone, those were the days, before SL and all this faction jizz, hehe)

3: In one word, describe a trip to TH or MB in Beta 2
Again, open to interpretation. True, it was deserty, and mapless, but it was mainly BORING. This was when there was practically nothing in the wastes, besides a warbot here and there. no trees, no mobs, no nothing. You would spend close to an hour running to TH ,MB, or Gaya (canyon was implemented yet). Gaya was the funnest, with the eariest atmosphere. ANd spiderbots that shot plasma. MB and TH sucked. The places are there, but theres literally nothing to do except sight see. though the security bots in TH were active and liked to kill everyone. And the MB core coolant room liked to kill people randomly. Oh yeah, did i mention we had no genereps anywhere but neocron? hehe

4: What was MY class all through beta?
Yup, i was a psi monk. I was up until retail, when i started by first PE. Being a psi monk was good.... yet bad. We could rez, sure, but so could every tank with a psi core, lol. We had literally no defense, no armor, no decent spells. The spells could basically be sued by any class. (Fear a stun beam/firefield casting tank, lol) But i stuck it out, always being ridiculed, but I still made it. And now the monks have their time, about damn time btw. They DESERVE the power they have now. Now i dont wnana change the topic of this thread, so Ill stop :P.

5: In beta 3, what was our little friend at the end of the storage halls?
Yup, a warbot, ah i miss the days of full sf/marine/psi core drops. What else is to be said? hehe.

6: In beta 2, describe the self rez exploit
The one yall are talking of is beta 3. The one im referring to is easier than that. in B2, you could still talk/trade when you were dead. When i first started, i was hunting in the aggie cellars, and i died. someone traded me some meet and told me to relog. And i did, and when i was back, i was alive. The meet had raised my health while i was dead so.. nuff said, hehe. This was when we didnt have a 10 second logout delay. ;)

7: This loot was dropped by spiders (whne they actually hurt) and was needed to make all the high end chips like sf.
Yup, blue/ brown poison glands. namely the brown ones as they were the rarest. I miss the days of being able to build things with actual loot, and not techparts.

8: Describe the ORIGINAL effects of stun beam. Im not talking the fact that it stunned, it was another "fun" factor, hehe.
OMG, those were the days!!! When stun beam first came out, i was the only "regular" that could use it. (except maybe makhaba ;)) Your right, it did stop you in your tracks, but it also flung you right into a wall, lol. I would see a group of people, and cast it in the middle of them, and they would seem to explode in all directions. I would have so much fun, and it would piss soo many poeple off. Sometimes it would fling you right through the walls, lol. I swear, it was the funniest thing i have ever seen in Neocron. One second a big group of people, next second local being spammed with "WTF!!"

9: How many CDs was beta 2?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Was only one CD, mine came with a printed label, but i had a friend whos came spelled "Neokron" or something like that with the k marked out and c put in. Only people that got those were the first few.

Well, those are the answers. I have more questions, if anyone cares for them, but i doubt it, hehe.

Reminscing rocks, we had some good times in the good ole days. *sniff*

Elric
12-11-03, 04:38
Originally posted by t0tt3
well just becasue you are a beta tester doesnt mean that you are a vet gamer ^^

I mean thats not even a game then.... Can only start from a retail version or else its just beta vets and thats an other story. A Neocron player vet that knows all in retail frlom day one are a noob because he doesnt know what the beta was like :lol:

soooo... what if you were in beta AND retail from day 1 :p

(like me and many others i suspect)

jernau
12-11-03, 04:39
Holy shit, that stun effect sounds amazing. I wish I'd seen that.

Reminiscing does indeed rock. More questions please....

Plight
12-11-03, 04:43
Well, like a said, your vet definition is all up to you. That is just my view of it. I was actually around since before beta began, but only rarely. I have a friend however, who only thinks someone is a vet whos been around since the beginning of time and has never left, hehe.

it all depends if you wanna be a hardass or not about it, lol. But its just a title, doesnt necessarily mean anything.

edit: I didnt mean for this to coincide with US veterans day, hehe, just kinda coincidental

Glok
12-11-03, 04:56
Take it easy man. All us beta 4 n00bs need a kicking anyways.

Danae
12-11-03, 04:56
I R LOVING PLIGHT)$(%)$(*)$(*^($^

wb cutie pie!

If only we could get preach, sett, and nahk back I'd be running around like a loon...moreso than I already do :p

NERD Editor
12-11-03, 05:16
Oh great, you woke Nae up.... There goes the neighbourhood.

Anyway, did anyone else get the impression that Monks were more than just total wussies in beta, but in fact had like a coded bullseye on them at all times?

See, in b3 we'd go down to the Storage halls to kill a Warbot or 50 in the hunt for some chips etc and we'd have a few Gentanks and a few Private Eyes and a couple of Spy's dotted around all gunning it down and generally speaking the warbot always went for the one doing the most damage.

Then a monk would walk in the room and before he even did anything the Warbot was trying to tear his bald head off. Was I imagining that, or did others notice it too. Warbots seemed to have it in for Monks on sight. Perhaps Warbots can see through time and sensed what the Monks were going to become and tried to squash the threat early.

Mr Friendly
12-11-03, 05:20
HA :lol: u kiddin me? PKers in beta 1 & 2? there wasnt any "random" PKn back in those days. each open beat was like a new world, we explored everything &n reported bugs, not much playin :\

jernau
12-11-03, 05:20
I think you're right and it lasted into retail too. It wasn't just WBs though.

I remember many times going to the bunker and the minute I cast any spell at all I became mob enemy no.1 even if there were a bunch of tanks standing there pummeling them.

amfest
12-11-03, 05:53
remember in beta 4 when the vehicles were finally added .. the player models weren't positioned right on them and your head stuck out of the seat .. . you'd be running the wastes andthen these pods would fly by with heads sticking out :lol:

KRIMINAL99
12-11-03, 06:03
Depends, on what you call veteran.

Vet = Skill - No.
Vet = Outdated - Most Likely.

Skilled = Vet - Not nessicarily.
High Level = Skilled - No.

Meh.
Call my cynical but it's how I am since I have been some of the best in most of the games I've played, but don't *stay* there to stay the best...

Yeah what is up with that? I load up like Battlezone 2 or something and get kicked out of half the games because I'm not "Vet" ie I don't know the little names theyve given to stuff that don't make sense, yet when I finally get into a game I kill everyone in deathmatch and then they kick me even harder...

Same with like half the games I own... Its like if you have slow reflexes or a bad connection or something you just pick one game and play it forever till you know everything about it in hopes you will beat someone lol... kinda sad imo

Plight: Im not talking about yall in any way shape or form, nothing wrong with reminiscing :p (except that its really hard to spell)

QuantumDelta
12-11-03, 06:05
Krim ...exactly...

seems Plight isn't that type though...which is rare... heh

amfest
12-11-03, 06:20
some screenshot comments

pic 1 (http://www.gamescreenshots.com/fullpic.asp?category=pc&pic_id=74663&game_id=222&gallery=0&picOrder=0)

err is that somewhere I haven't been ... I don't exactly explore as much as I should and haven't been everywhere ... back in beta 4 I just hung around and helped out my clan members in EOB since 2 others and myself decided to create that clan just to help each other . . forgive me if it is ingame and something that any noob should know ;)

Pic 2 (http://www.gamescreenshots.com/fullpic.asp?category=pc&pic_id=64067&game_id=222&gallery=0&picOrder=0)

for all the lovers out there :p

pic 3 (http://www.gamescreenshots.com/fullpic.asp?category=pc&pic_id=60205&game_id=222&gallery=0&picOrder=0)

back in storage lvl 8 I tended to see this scene alot

pic 4 (http://www.gamescreenshots.com/fullpic.asp?category=pc&pic_id=60204&game_id=222&gallery=0&picOrder=0)

What the heck is in the quickbelt of this character??? o_O

pic 5 (http://www.gamescreenshots.com/fullpic.asp?category=pc&pic_id=55451&game_id=222&gallery=0&picOrder=0)

Ah when CM npcs had rocket launchers . ..

anyhow http://www.gamescreenshots.com (http://www.gamescreenshots.com/smallthumbs.asp?category=pc&game_id=222&thepage=1&gallery=0&picOrder=0) has some cool screenshots some very old ;)

ReefSmoker
12-11-03, 06:22
pic 1 (http://www.gamescreenshots.com/fullpic.asp?category=pc&pic_id=74663&game_id=222&gallery=0&picOrder=0)

err is that somewhere I haven't been ... I don't exactly explore as much as I should and haven't been everywhere ... back in beta 4 I just hung around and helped out my clan members in EOB since 2 others and myself decided to create that clan just to help each other . . forgive me if it is ingame and something that any noob should know ;)

That's from the old tutorial - I actually preferred the old tutorial over the one that's in-game now :)

Take care,

Reefie

Dribble Joy
12-11-03, 06:45

Dude.... you can beat ostrich... he has 110% aiming, no-one can beat you. From what I've seen, there ain't anyone to take your place.

QuantumDelta
12-11-03, 07:13
Originally posted by Dribble Joy
Dude.... you can beat ostrich... he has 110% aiming, no-one can beat you. From what I've seen, there ain't anyone to take your place.
Fang, XaNToR, VetteroX, all equals.

Of course...the people I get compared with all have Mc5 shite and the "best gear.."....I just make do O.o

I've beaten Osty, but he is still extremely good, and should he get much better he will probably come to the point where skill goes up exponentially, somethin I didn't manage to do easily in this game (..probably that frame rate barrier).

but, I tell you, and I always will tell everyone..people can be better than what I and the other people on that "elite" list.
At the very least they can become our equals, but can you imagine an op fight vs Vett, Rade, QD, Shadow, XaNToR, Fang, and a select few others who are highly mentionable from the other servers? the likes of Rizzy/Ste/Mike/Fenyx and more...?

I tell you what even if I was better than every single one of those people, if I had to fight them all in a group with every other member in this community in two sides....even if I out numbered them I'd fucking cry :p

....Now imagine everyone in this game, at that level...
...Now imagine the people who these people playing at this level would look up to.

If the whole community progresses in terms of skills, those who are the best, will get, even better providing they don't get lazy.
If they get lazy, new people will become "the best." but there will always be a "the best" and this best will always surpass the last, as the whole surpasses an old best, the current best will be so far in advanced of the old best...

Just the way I see things in terms of skills in games like these :p

VetteroX
12-11-03, 07:23
LoL QD I know you arent trying, but It looks like you are becomming second least popular on these forums after me (not really a bad thing cxonsidering most of the people here)

I remeber the warbot in storage halls in beta, I thought that was cool... was fun having a swarm of noobs attacking him, each hiding after one hit hehe.

BTW, thats what my name comes from, I was playing Total Annihilation (came out 97, must been 98, 99 when i made name) and wanted a new name. I figured I was a veteran of the game, having played since they day it was out and every day for 2 1/2 years, so made my name out of the word veteran.

JustIn_Case
12-11-03, 10:37
pic 4 (http://www.gamescreenshots.com/fullpic.asp?category=pc&pic_id=60204&game_id=222&gallery=0&picOrder=0)

What the heck is in the quickbelt of this character??? o_O

Firebarrel ?

[SP]Ostrich
12-11-03, 10:38
You guys have to understand, i given up on pvp improvement, i've going back to small time pking :D. More fun, less effort.

^^ lazy.

back on topic. Vets like them are cool, it's so fun to hear about what the game was like.

And most vets are pretty cool people, a little sensitive about some clan issues though *cough*thane*cough* :D

Lenard
12-11-03, 11:57
Im laughing at these people saying InsisiousWolf Rhyker and FatalWolf those 3 started playing beta 4.

Who here remembers Bruce Crest!

[SP]Ostrich
12-11-03, 12:12
hehe lenard... cant beleive you allowed them into your clan. Is edgar still around or not?

LVirus
12-11-03, 12:39

1. Well, back in beta2 I think only PKr I can remember if I remember correctly was JOAT aka Nathan Profitt .. but there was some other PKr. How about I ask you what was weapon of choice for PKres? :D

2. Phelbps claimed to be that but there was a german clan before em .. so I cannot answer corretly.

3. In beta3? Uuh. Go to neocron gates .. take random direction, start walking forward .. come to big building (providing you survived) and enter it. See its only a dead place with map, exit and come back to NC. In those days, land was totally different, almost no maps existed and TH along with beta MB was empty, only map done.

4. I don't know you but my guess would be PSI

5. beta-Warbot/beta-warbot titan, which one spawned. Beta warbots were bigger and meanier, they got nerffed @ beta4 :(

6. Oooh, only in beta? ;) When you died, you got GR list, back then servers were slow and when you pressed OK button in one of the GR's you had to press ALT-F4 in few seconds and relog back with your char.
One of funny stuff happened with that exploit thou. You might been teleported like few minutes back in time, aka your char just before it died and you could drop all your shit to ground and relog. This time you were back in time with your self-rezzed character but lo and behold! You just duped your stuff :p

7. BROWN poison glad. Nubies says BLUE because they didn't have phet l00t back then. I remember trading SF and COPBOT BP (Marine) for 3 brown poison glads :P

8. Slowed down aiming, dissyness, drug effects ..

9. ONE .. black CD that got orange text saying "Neocron". I might sell one @ eBay :P

Oh and in beta2 I was named VitalBlade, in beta3 I changed it to Ukko Yli-Jumala and now in mid of retail I went to "of LVirus" or plain "Adjective LVirus" theme in my names :D

sl33py
12-11-03, 12:40
Originally posted by Lenard
Im laughing at these people saying InsisiousWolf Rhyker and FatalWolf those 3 started playing beta 4.

Who here remembers Bruce Crest!

HAwR good ol bruce, now that is an interresting story :)
only real vets know not only of bruce, but... well i'm not going to tell more ;) that would spoil it :p

I'm to lazy to quote, but i'm still around, I just dont post that much. I kinda posted less and less and less since the start of beta 4 and retail, too many n00bs comming on the forum bitching and making asses out of themself. I just decided to step back from it :)

Reason why I can't answer most of plight's questions is because KK never got me into beta. I missed on beta 2 and got REALLY pissed at them 500 noobs comming to the forum and making threads like "HI I am new where do i get my beta" and "WOOt i got into beta what do i do now".

I am famous for not getting in beta isnt that ironic :)

I played beta 4 and beta 5 (which is not retail)
Beta 5 was last year in the month of november, or was it october. It was in any case before the startup of pluto. A selection of about 50-100 testers were allowed on the server.

Then I just played, nowadays i got 22 characters spread on all servers. Currently i'm playing more on pluto then the others.

If you see a SL33PY on any server it's meh :) I got several other chars but they got secret names moehahaha I'm the sneaky pkER man... not really but i could be :)

Originally posted By LVirus
5. beta-Warbot/beta-warbot titan, which one spawned. Beta warbots were bigger and meanier, they got nerffed @ beta4 :(
In the beginning of beta 4 they were malfunctioning, I think someone actually got banned for exploiting them. Thing was they didnt move/shoot it was fun :)

That's from the old tutorial - I actually preferred the old tutorial over the one that's in-game now :)

Take care,

Reefie

No it isn't, its a screenshot of the offline demo of neocron, you can still dl it i guess, just gl to get it running it had several failures

I know i played it trough one time without crashing, after that it was screwed and crashed every ... seconds.

Well, like a said, your vet definition is all up to you. That is just my view of it. I was actually around since before beta began, but only rarely. I have a friend however, who only thinks someone is a vet whos been around since the beginning of time and has never left, hehe.

it all depends if you wanna be a hardass or not about it, lol. But its just a title, doesnt necessarily mean anything.

edit: I didnt mean for this to coincide with US veterans day, hehe, just kinda coincidental
I have read teh old OLD forums. Heya plight :)
Is it me or do you have a new forum account?

LVirus
12-11-03, 12:56

6: In beta 2, describe the self rez exploit
The one yall are talking of is beta 3. The one im referring to is easier than that. in B2, you could still talk/trade when you were dead. When i first started, i was hunting in the aggie cellars, and i died. someone traded me some meet and told me to relog. And i did, and when i was back, i was alive. The meet had raised my health while i was dead so.. nuff said, hehe. This was when we didnt have a 10 second logout delay. ;)

Ack! Yes indeed! Give a meat or medikit to a dead person and he was ressed. I infact told to our clan nubies last nite about this but somehow I forgot it totally. Thats why you cannot trade with dead peoples anymore because this exploit is still actually there IF you could use meat :D (Just kidding, you cannot .. or can you :wtf: )

LVirus
12-11-03, 12:58
Originally posted by sl33py

No it isn't, its a screenshot of the offline demo of neocron, you can still dl it i guess, just gl to get it running it had several failures

How about this : It's still in game and EVERY character sees it FIRST. Where it is located then ;)

ezza
12-11-03, 13:07
wasnt bruce crest a KK employee?

jernau
12-11-03, 13:15

I know i played it trough one time without crashing, after that it was screwed and crashed every ... seconds.

The off-line demo became the original tutorial. Later it got replaced with the current one.

edit -

Originally posted by LVirus
How about this : It's still in game and EVERY character sees it FIRST. Where it is located then ;)

It's not MC5 - notice the grill and the shelf of items in the background.

/edit2 - damn. Beaten to it.

sl33py
12-11-03, 13:15
wasnt bruce crest a KK employee?
Yeah, he is a myth for most :)

and LVirus it is not MC5 that shot is Offline demo, they just reused that part
Edit: and what jernau said
edit 2: beaten jernau harhar i still got the touch

Ren
12-11-03, 14:02
Lmao Bruce Crest and his overseas office.........good old Bruce.

BIGYELLOWBALL! should mean alot more to beta people than it does the retial folk.

edit: Who remembers when tanks could rez? and you could speak (with the full box) when you died, you'd just spam for a rez lol.

Celt
12-11-03, 14:17
Nice to hear stories/see screenies from beta.

I applied for the beta in june 2002 but never got accepted :(

QD, could you please keep your ego out of even one thread?

ezza
12-11-03, 14:46
those warbots with the plasma look way cool, better than the horrible shock we get now:(

Elric
12-11-03, 14:49
those warbots with the plasma look way cool, better than the horrible shock we get now:(

It was much cooler. Thats if you actually lasted long enough against the rocket volleys to actually see it :rolleyes:

Lexxuk
12-11-03, 15:19
blergh, I wanna be a vet, but I'll settle for a new oldie :D even if I am sl33py's dad :lol: :lol:

I remember nathan (who can forget him) camping the GR in Outzone subway, with a flame thrower, so I paid Lucjan a million to kill him, but he couldnt find him so I got a refund (last time I checked, Nathan "JOAT" had a screenshot of that).

/me humps elriks leg

and I pretty much agree with the STFU attidude QD, there are people out there who have been playing tradeskill char's since beta 2 or whenever, are they not vet's simply because they choose to tradeskill? Doesnt matter who you can beat (TGR Killer beat you 4-1 or something, till u drugged up) its the attitude you take towards the game, and the Beta 2 vets have been some of the nicest people your ever likely to meet (sans ego) and we all lurve Uman :D

Me, i'm not a B2 or 3 vet, I'm a B4 vet, the german 1st retailers are R1 vets, the UK/US release would be R2 vets, I was on Pluto from day 1, that would make me a P1 vet, I dont stick my arm up a cows arse, so I'm not a true vet :p

sl33py
12-11-03, 15:35
Originally posted by Celt
Nice to hear stories/see screenies from beta.

I applied for the beta in june 2002 but never got accepted :(

Don't feel bad, I applied in 2000 and never got in, beta4 was open and i was like the 50th dude online woot for me :D

I once oped JOAT in #neocron for fun, that was the last time i was an auto-op, JOAT kick-banned the owner (preacher aka mase aka loki (the gm/mod dude now that he is gone i can say that they are 1)). he couldn't laugh about it

I tought it was funny. I guess i drank too much looney juice. Where is Whitey Bulgar, Its always fun to have him around.

I miss my Emeron.

Oh and Ren... I got bad news for you...
Well for every Vet and n00b that heard the legends...

The
BIG YELLOW BALLTM
is dead :( I heard the news today. The only way to greet the mighty ball is to find his statue ingame and pray.

Shockwave
12-11-03, 15:58
OMG, some of those old screenies look SO cool! Warbots would be so much better if they were their original size, and did enormous amounts of damage (rather than the frankly wussy amounts they do at the mo). I've always thought Warbots, and especially Titans should be truly FEARED. :)

And on those C+VG shots - When the hell did they have actual tanks in-game? That's something else that would rock! :)

Ren
12-11-03, 16:23
During beta (closed) all passwords for the beta forums had "BigYelloWBALL123" or something.....

the true start for the legend.

jernau
12-11-03, 16:29
Originally posted by Ren
During beta (closed) all passwords for the beta forums had "BigYelloWBALL123" or something.....

Wasn't that password picked in honour of a real BYB in the KK office?

I assume that's the one sl33py is now telling us is dead :(

There's a piccie of it on here somewhere.

ReefSmoker
12-11-03, 17:03

Well since you joined us in beta 4 I won't hold it against you that you never got to see the old tutorial. I've just fired up my B3 client to make sure I wasn't going mad, and sure enough, it's exactly as you see it in the picture - on the far shelf in front of you are the items you can pick up to make the rocket launcher (there's also more parts for the rocket launcher behind the runner in that screenie), and on the right is the grille that must be blown up to progress. It was re-used (to an extent, didn't look as good though for some reason) in the offline tutorial that was released to the public.

Jernau, you are indeed correct - the BYB and the passwords were all down to the stress ball that existed in Reakktor's offices.

Take care,

ReefSmoker

EDIT : using dates as an indication, the offline demo tutorial wasn't released until the 3rd of July 2002, the screenshot is marked as being added 18th of February 2002 ;)

\\Fényx//
12-11-03, 17:18
Originally posted by Ren

THATS where i recognised it from lol, for like a year now ive been thinking ''where have I heard about a byb before'' :confused:

[Edit]

ohnoz bring this back

http://www.gamescreenshots.com/sendbinary.asp?path=e%3A%5Cimages%5Cpc%5C222%5Clarge%5Cneocron%5Fscreen002%2Ejpg&widthvar=800

Varaem
12-11-03, 17:19
In the original tutorial, didn't you like, start in a pepper park apt, have to go through a weird hallway/obstacle course, then build a missile launcher out of metal, glue and explosives, then blow up a door?

I just played the current tutorial now.. it really sucks... i got lost. lol.

Me is a retail noob.

ReefSmoker
12-11-03, 17:25
Originally posted by Varaem
In the original tutorial, didn't you like, start in a pepper park apt, have to go through a weird hallway/obstacle course, then build a missile launcher out of metal, glue and explosives, then blow up a door?

I just played the current tutorial now.. it really sucks... i got lost. lol.

Me is a retail noob.

You started in cryo-beds, ones that look uncannily similar to those in MC5 - with voice-overs telling you to get out of there !!

Take care,

ReefSmoker

ezza
12-11-03, 17:31
is that the one where you are a guy called Parker?

ReefSmoker
12-11-03, 17:36
is that the one where you are a guy called Parker?

If memory serves me well enough, that is the demo that was released in July last year, the tutorial that was bundled with the beta client didn't name the runner afaik...

(someone let me know if I get anything wrong please)

Take care,

Reefie

Scikar
12-11-03, 17:38
It's the one where TG blow up the CityAdmin building or something like that, there's loads of STORM bots around and you have to get them some raygun ammo. It's been a while since I last played it.

Ren
12-11-03, 17:39
OMG i forgot about that

http://www.gamescreenshots.com/sendbinary.asp?path=e%3A%5Cimages%5Cpc%5C222%5Clarge%5Cneocron%5Fscreen002%2Ejpg&widthvar=800

The old Neo Term.

It fucking ruled, BRING IT BACK!

ezza
12-11-03, 17:39
Originally posted by Scikar
It's the one where TG blow up the CityAdmin building or something like that, there's loads of STORM bots around and you have to get them some raygun ammo. It's been a while since I last played it.

i remember on that one a strip joint being in plaza 1(although it was closed in the demo, shame that aint still there, cos they got the stupid conference place or whatever it is there now

edit: that old neoterm looks way better than the one now

Plight
12-11-03, 17:45
KK had originally planned to have a seperate term for every purpose. IE a hometerm, law term, and job term. But they eventually merged them, never did fully understand why.

Their reasoning was that since it is the future, theres no reason they couldnt combine the three.

Heres another little question, pick out the spells that were real spells (real meaning actually in game)

1. Fire Field
2. Poison Field
3. Psi Earthquake
4. Psi Meteor Shower
5. Psi Float
6. Psi Light
7. Fire Lance
8. Psi Teleport
9. Psi Control

ReefSmoker
12-11-03, 17:46
i remember on that one a strip joint being in plaza 1(although it was closed in the demo, shame that aint still there, cos they got the stupid conference place or whatever it is there now

edit: that old neoterm looks way better than the one now

Con Center was always there, it was just replaced with a strip joint for the downloadable demo to prevent people going (or wondering) what was through there ;)

I'm still waiting for the day we get a patch and log in to find we've just downloaded that map of plaza 1 from the demo and that TG or DoY have desecrated the place !

Take care,

Reefie

EDIT : The whole terminal thing... well it's easier to have the system for terminals that Reakktor have just now instead of having seperate artwork for all the different types of terminal, though I do believe that going back to seperate terminal types and having them distributed around the zones would help spread people out from plaza 1 :) Talking of which, I hear the StarTerm concept is coming back for DoY, at least the idea of mini-games will be part of it :D

Elric
12-11-03, 17:48

1. Fire Field
2. Poison Field
3. Psi Earthquake
4. Psi Meteor Shower
5. Psi Float
6. Psi Light
7. Fire Lance
8. Psi Teleport
9. Psi Control

only remember 1 and 4 (i think, i could be thinking of another game) Never really looked at Psi. It was too much fun being a lowtech rifle tank...

ezza
12-11-03, 17:49
anyone got pictures of the psi module inaction back then or where they pretty much same as now but with diffrent names?

ReefSmoker
12-11-03, 17:56
Heres another little question, pick out the spells that were real spells (real meaning actually in game)

1. Fire Field
2. Poison Field
3. Psi Earthquake
4. Psi Meteor Shower
5. Psi Float
6. Psi Light
7. Fire Lance
8. Psi Teleport
9. Psi Control

1 - real
2 - not sure
3 - fake
4 - real
5 - real
6 - real
7 - real
8 - real
9 - fake

5 and 8 required the psi glove 2, which no-one had or didn't really exist, I'm not sure ! I might have got a few wrong on the spells though, my memory is blurred and the new names aren't helping it ;)

I do have a chunk of screenies showing the effects of PSI modules from beta Ezza, they're pretty much the same as what they are now, though there was a lot of tuning on the particle system used in the Neocron engine so there may be subtle differences. I know there's a lot of new effects that didn't exist until beta 4, and some have been updated in early retail, while others have been removed altogether (due to probs with the particle system I'd guess) :)

Take care,

Reefie

KRIMINAL99
12-11-03, 18:16
You want a prize for being an OAP?

Yeah people do that in everything not just video games and it really sux. Like someone gets a PHD in some field and they no longer have to even do unbiased research, because they are a PHD and everything they say is automatically right... No matter how much knowledge surpasses them...

Ever argue with an old dude about something when you know you are right? They more right you are the more pissed off they get... no matter what they can't admit someone younger than them has continued to learn things past them.

They don't want to continue to figure things out cause they are lazy and want to think they know everything, but don't want anyone to surpass them either so they try and hold other people back.

Or with guys and girls... A guy doesn't try to get girls he just makes friends with them cause its easier than trying to date. Then when you come get the girl hes all trying to make up stuff about you and make you look bad to her because he wants to do the same thing he just doesn't know how or doesn't want to risk it..

People do this for alot of stuff... and its got to be like the worse type of aggressive action possible as its doesn't effect people for like a few seconds, days or hours till they cool off... It wears people down, turns them bitter towards other people, and many times makes people lose motivation to accomplish their goals.

Shockwave
12-11-03, 18:36
Originally posted by \\Fényx//
[Edit]

ohnoz bring this back

8| :eek:

Woah... That looks... SO COOL.... :eek:

I can't believe KK cut out or changed so much really good-looking stuff! They ought to bring some of it back, it's awesome!

ezza
12-11-03, 19:43
out of interest what was psi teleport?

ReefSmoker
12-11-03, 19:47
out of interest what was psi teleport?

Who knows ? lol no-one had a psi glove 2 to find out !!

Take care,

Reefie

ezza
12-11-03, 19:52
Originally posted by ReefSmoker
Who knows ? lol no-one had a psi glove 2 to find out !!

Take care,

Reefie
rofl thats good items that people cant use, imagine that:rolleyes: :p

sl33py
12-11-03, 20:47

Originally posted by Ren

Wasn't that password picked in honour of a real BYB in the KK office?

I assume that's the one sl33py is now telling us is dead :(

There's a piccie of it on here somewhere.

Yes that one Let me find a picture..
I can't find a fucking picture
SigH

Oh and does anyone remember this piece of fun? (found in on neocroncentral while looking for the byb picture):
Neocron/Online is gone? - 2:55 PM - ZeKz -
Some sad news came today... One of the most popular neocron fansites neocron/online has changed to... Anarchy/Online. Heres a note from the staff:

"HOLYSHITNOWAYWHYAREYOUDOINGTHIS?" - Well, there's a few of reasons...

1) FunCom Hired Preach And Fate - What better way to demoralise your competitors than by hiring two of their most prominent, talented community members? They were each approached several months ago and asked to work with FunCom on AO (A'la Lum). At the time, they were still a little unsure about whether or not they wanted to make the switch (Seeing as they've put so much effort into N/O already), but recent events have finally tipped the scales. Preacher (a.k.a. Tony Sulita) will be joining FunCom as the Lead Web Site Designer (You can bet your ass those account registration/activation problems will get fixed now with him at the helm), and FateSender (a.k.a. Warren Ferguson) will be the head of Community Relations, taking his wealth of experience with him.

2) Free Accounts For All Existing N/O Staffers - Just to sweeten the deal, FunCom offered the rest of the N/O crew free accounts for life with AO. They liked how we worked as a team, and they were delighted to hear that we all played AO on the side. So, as an incentive for us to join, we all get free accounts for life. You can't really blame us on this one, can you?

3) Respect - No one loves us. It's no secret. We piss people off and we do it well. FunCom really didn't like it when we were picking on AO for our O/A features, but they at least gave us respect (So they say) for coming up with witty, satirical strips. Our new design also makes us the sexiest looking AO site out there, so there's INSTANT cred amongst the fans of the game.

4) Big Blue Ball - Our biggest regret about leaving the Neocron Community will be the abandoning of our baby - Big Yellow Ball. FunCom realized this, and has thus provided us with a new baby to look after, Big Blue Ball. We also thought it rather apt, considering we've all had a nasty case of the ol' Blue Balls whilst waiting for Neocron to be released. What can we say? We're easily persuaded...

This move may come as a shock to some people, and we sincerely apologize to those long-term fans that we may have hurt. We only hope that you can respect our decision and continue to visit and support us in future.

The site still has some vestiges of N/O left, but they're in the process of being removed and converted, so bear with us.

Sincerely Yours,

The ANARCHY/ONLINE Staff - DarkShell, DeadMan, Preacher, Talltim, Fatesender, Hepstah and Hollow One

I know its a lot of text, but its really worth it. I'm still not totally sure if this is a total hoax or true... Either way good luck =).

jernau
12-11-03, 21:20
http://www.neocroncentral.net/images/gallery/albums/reakktor/cdv10.jpg

Cool article dude - I vaguely recall reading it at the time.

fatwreck
12-11-03, 22:16
it looks like beta was alot of fun... i think i came in around patch 150 or 160 something

g0rt
12-11-03, 22:18
Originally posted by fatwreck
it looks like beta was alot of fun... i think i came in around patch 150 or 160 something

Beta wasn't fun, I couldn't even play the game for more hten 3 minutes at a time without crashing :(

jernau
12-11-03, 22:20
Originally posted by g0rt
Beta wasn't fun, I couldn't even play the game for more hten 3 minutes at a time without crashing :(

I enjoyed it despite that.

I remember getting retail and thinking "wow, they made it stable" because it only crashed a couple of times an hour.

Plight
13-11-03, 01:24
Lol. B2 was actually quite stable client wise. There servers on the other hand are a COMPLETELY different story. FREs didnt hit until b3.

NERD Editor
13-11-03, 01:33
Hehehe.... server stability.... and the lack thereof.
Can we say Plaza 1 prison?

Beta 3, Christmas 2002. Everyone is playing away quite happily, albeit not that many online. A few are out in the Storage halls when they get the synching death screen. So they attempt to log back in and cant. One by one the zones start falling. The server count empties out and IRC fills up as tester after tester can't get on anymore until only about 40 or so are left: All of them in Plaza 1.
I remember the days of theorising what happened and why it was that Plaza 1 was able to survive. We spent all of Christmas and almost 2 weeks more stuck in Plaza 1 trying to find things to do (e.g. researching the implants sold at crytons to find out which one made the best selling blueprints or throwing ourselves off the skywalk for experience cause you got con xp for falling damage but couldnt die from a fall). Then Prissy Monk decided to flash the copbots and we got a light show for a while.

So if anyone wants to complain that the FRE's and Uranus server downtimes now are bad: take heed. At least you're not stuck in plaza 1 for 2 weeks having races to see who can get from CityAdmin to the Concentre the fastest.

Mr_Snow
13-11-03, 01:37
Theres a slight difference between a game in beta and a retail game ie we pay to play beta testers dont so we have a right to complain beta testers dont really.

NERD Editor
13-11-03, 01:39
Never said you couldn't complain. Just said to take heed that there was something to be grateful for.

Mr_Snow
13-11-03, 01:44
Meh not really I never felt grateful paying for something I cant use even if its a temporary thing.

sl33py
13-11-03, 11:07
http://www.neocroncentral.net/images/gallery/albums/reakktor/cdv10.jpg

Cool article dude - I vaguely recall reading it at the time.

*sniff* He will be missed *sniff*

Danae
13-11-03, 12:10
All should mourn the loss of BYB and fall to their knees! Ok...*takes off reakktor hat, puts on long time community old fart hat on - sorry for the naughty words!*

WHERE ARE THEY NOW?!

Bruce Crest is hacked into little peices and in tuperware containers under Odin's bed 8|

I wish Mase were under my bed. Do not ever speak badly about masey/preachy poo! I can't tell you how much I love, respect, and care about that guy! He did so much for Neocron before it was even outta the gate. Even if he is a scary bald bastard! (but he's hot!) He's been coming back to #Neocron to chat a bit lately (thank heavens!)

Whitey came back in the end! What can you say about him really. Miss Cleeo he isn't! Funny as hell though :D

Loony juice is dead and burried with the BYB! btw, it was so damn stupid I wanted to beat sl33py with a drumstick for about a month while they were doing it! I assumed he was taking heavy drugs at the time. hehe

HollowOne is looooooong gone, but never forgotten. We all have emotional scars from him verbally tearing us new assholes. I sometimes miss him then realize the suicide rate has dropped since he's left :p

Deadman made a fricking movie! www.staydead.com

I lost contact with Talltim, though he wrote me an email to congratulate me for something, so I think maybe somewhere, in the depths he lurks. Great writer, wonderful guy!

Emeron still comes to #neocron and still talks about her cat, and complains about her boyfriend :p She just uses a different nickname now hehe It's like Celery or something that reminds me of a cross between Celery and psorisis.

Pixie has turned into London's playboy and has dated or had sex with everyone woman in the area including the Queen. He said he knocked the cobwebs out of her. This is strange to all of us who lived through his Bouff obsession....his Nima obsession....his Emeron obsession....his breif and angry elle obsession....you get the picture. He still comes into #neocron daily and berates us, we love him for it.

AlgoX still 4-5 years now, still comes to #neocron - if only the people addicted to #neocron would play Neocron.

Digital Dragon/DigiD (the reason I came to Neocron *gasp*) is going to Canada to some neat school to do gaming stuff. Rock on! I want to see him succeed, cuz in a round about way, he is the reason a. I have a job b. I have a husband and c. I smell so minty fresh!

Here ends my first installment of where are they now - the early years! :lol:

LVirus
13-11-03, 15:16
Originally posted by NERD Editor
Hehehe.... server stability.... and the lack thereof.
Can we say Plaza 1 prison?

*gasps* I paid SO many euros for SO many years to doctors to thread me after this trauma and you bring it back ... *sob*

Infact, Plaza1 prison was fun when you yelled over GLOBAL channel that server was dying and everyone got inside Plaza1 to play at least there :). While we are remembering old times, remember when certain people figured way to fux0r server up (Which has yet not been repaired that well, but KK made that items stacks now thou) buying tons and tons of datacubes and going to plaza1 and looking up and dragdropping 500 cubes in the air. Normally, in retail and beta that would mean that a cube would come out of person and be x500. In beta times, it ment that person went to a cube FOUNTAIN -- and everyone rushed over there and tried to take all that trash from the ground ... ooo but too late. Server crashed :D